Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 20:45   #961
Senior - BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Can you explain why you think so?
On a highway - TDI's Torque comes in handy. Makes it easy to overtake also.

1.2 TDI is not puny in any sense. Only area it lacks is WRT the Turbo-Lag. Even that, is only till we learn to down shift at the right time. Now that I have driven the car for more than a year, I do not get bogged down by the Turbo-lag. On the other side, it is a delight to drive this car on a highway.

Old 27th July 2011, 00:09   #962
Senior - BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Chetan: I will keep it short and sweet.

I never thought opinions can vary so much, but I guess it does.
So, I would say to each his own. Drive safe and cheers.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:32   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I agree. But once we step on the accelerator, we also tend to slow down the car - Is it not?
Your observation on FE, may be at a reduced speed....
Yes when you press the accelerator in that scenario, the acceleration slows down and you seem to gain the control back. The FE observation is at various speeds but never higher than 40 kmph.

On the highway the 1.6 and TDI are two different beasts to drive with similar results. The TDI excels with its higher torque while the 1.6 with its higher power. At higher speeds the few extra BHPs come in handy. But then my experience with the TDI on highways is very limited. Did you ever get a chance to pit the TDI with a 1.6 on a highway? The results would be interesting. I once got a chance to push the 1.6 against a Swift Vdi but had to withdraw midway as the 4 lane suddenly turned into a 2 lane and the guy on the Vdi wanted to continue like a street racer.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:37   #964
Team-BHP Support

The Polo 1.2, whether tdi or petrol, is NO match for the 1.6 in any way possible. Period.

Okay maybe FE
Old 27th July 2011, 13:21   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you ask me, 1.2 TDI = 1.6 Petrol in terms of power. Drivablity within the city is better with 1.6 Petrol. On the highway, I would prefer a TDI any day.
I hope you are joking Chethan. Common, you cant be serious about this. I agree that the 1.2 TDi will be better than 1.2 Petrol because of the diesel engine's torque but it cannot be true when you compare it to 1.6 Petrol which has a good torque for a 1.6 petrol. Ofcourse, that of diesel 1.2 is better but only better torque cannot make a car better for highway runs. I havent driven a 1.6 polo or 1.2 diesel, but I can vouch this cannot be the case. In fact, the 1.2TDi wont come close to 1.3DDIS of swift (that brilliant Fiat diesel and that beautiful MS gearbox) as well and that goes for 1.2 Petrol polo vs 1.2 petrol swift as well.. Polo is a looker, a premium brand, some good fit and finish and overall a good car but you simply cannot expect any performance from these 1.2, 3 cylinder engines.

And thats where the 1.6 petrol comes in .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
I have faced exactly the same with my 1.6. IMHO there is nothing wrong. But what I have noticed additionally, and which raises a valid question, is that the instant FE shown in the MID hovers around 8.5 to 9 when this happens however if you touch the accelerator slightly maintaining the same level acceleration the FE increases to a much better figure...

Well, you are almost there... This is very normal and no bug. Have seen it in multiple cars. The RPM while ideling can be adjusted from the throttle body under the hood (which is actually increasing the race), or it can be adjusted from the ECU. At idle, the ECU controls the revvs, and if the RPM is a little more (which u need mostly in winters, infact, the engine temperature also has to do with the idleing, in winters you will see your car go till 1.5-2k rpm when you start and then the rpm settles down), then your car darts ahead even if you havent pressed the accelerator. When you press the accelerator, the ECU gets back and you manually control the revs.

And then more throttle means more Air/Fuel mixture entering the engine and hence less FE. At idle, you are actually not clocking any kms and hence the FE shown is viz a viz fuel burnt againt no kms clocked. As soon as you maintain a constant speed, you will get constant good FE. Try maintaining 70-80 on highway in your 1.6 and I believe it should return over 15kmpl.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 27th July 2011 at 13:25.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 16:46   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
Well, you are almost there... This is very normal and no bug. Have seen it in multiple cars. The RPM while ideling can be adjusted from the throttle body under the hood (which is actually increasing the race), or it can be adjusted from the ECU. At idle, the ECU controls the revvs, and if the RPM is a little more (which u need mostly in winters, infact, the engine temperature also has to do with the idleing, in winters you will see your car go till 1.5-2k rpm when you start and then the rpm settles down), then your car darts ahead even if you havent pressed the accelerator. When you press the accelerator, the ECU gets back and you manually control the revs.

And then more throttle means more Air/Fuel mixture entering the engine and hence less FE. At idle, you are actually not clocking any kms and hence the FE shown is viz a viz fuel burnt againt no kms clocked. As soon as you maintain a constant speed, you will get constant good FE. Try maintaining 70-80 on highway in your 1.6 and I believe it should return over 15kmpl.
Gaurav,
The scenario we are talking about is idling with the car in motion in 2nd or 3rd gear with an already warm engine. So we are clocking kms but the engine is idlinig. With the car rolling at around 25 kmph, put it in 3rd gear and release the clutch without pressing the accelerator. The car starts accelerating. At that point the FE shown is around 8.5 / 9 kmpl. Now if I press the accelerator and try to maintain the same level of acceleration the FE shown is better and goes up to around 11. I have not seen this in any other car. What I guess might be happening is at that speed and gear, the effective RPM (due to the gear ratio) would be lower than the default idling RPM and thus the ECU sends more fuel to adjust the RPM back up to the default. As a result the car accelerates and shows poor FE.
With the 1.6 on highways I have got 15+ kmpl by maintaning speeds between 90 and 100 (rarely exceeding) on a 500 km drive. I have never done a stretch at 70/80 kmph for more than 5 kms. The FE returned during such short drives were above 17. So ideally if one maintains aournd 80 kmpl, he should get around 17 kmpl.
sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 17:18   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
On the highway the 1.6 and TDI are two different beasts to drive with similar results. The TDI excels with its higher torque while the 1.6 with its higher power. At higher speeds the few extra BHPs come in handy. But then my experience with the TDI on highways is very limited. Did you ever get a chance to pit the TDI with a 1.6 on a highway? The results would be interesting.
I agree. They are two different beasts. My experience on a Polo 1.6 on a highway is very limited (only test drives). And also, I have not got a chance to pit the TDI and a 1.6 on the highway. May be, I should discuss this sometime with Nowwhat?

By now, you would be thinking that I am crazy to make a comment like this without going through any basics and also without having a detailed first hand experience. My reaction was to the point made by vw19d. I felt that he was concentrating only on the capacity of the engine and not the way the fuel is aspirated. My intention was only to mention that 1.2 Diesel can not just be pushed aside WRT 1.6 Petrol, since 1.2 Diesel is a Turbo charged engine.

Engine capacity alone does not matter. 1.2 petrol Tsi would be much better than any of these. 4 pot engine will have less friction and so will be smoother, compared to a similar capacity 3 pot engine. Other than that, I do not read too much between 3 Pot and 4 Pot engines.

On the highway, when we are cruising at an engine speed of around 2500/3000 RPM (100/120 Kmph), it is very easy to just step on the accelerator and go past most vehicles - particularly on a gradient. This I have felt on a TDI diesel. But on Petrol cars, we need to down shift. This is what triggered my comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I hope you are joking Chethan. Common, you cant be serious about this. I agree that the 1.2 TDi will be better than 1.2 Petrol because of the diesel engine's torque but it cannot be true when you compare it to 1.6 Petrol which has a good torque for a 1.6 petrol. Ofcourse, that of diesel 1.2 is better but only better torque cannot make a car better for highway runs. I havent driven a 1.6 polo or 1.2 diesel, but I can vouch this cannot be the case.

Gaurav, my comments were not in general. I did not say that 1.2 Tdi is better in all respects compared to 1.6 Petrol. I agree with most of the things you said.

Drive a 1.2 Tdi on a highway for about 25 Kms. I will be keen to read your comments.
Old 27th July 2011, 17:33   #968
Senior - BHPian

Ok here are my comments regarding a 1.2 TDI.
I drive an Accent 1.5L,Petrol,and was planning to replace it with a diesel hatch,as my daily commute is in excess of 100kms,so,i extensively drove a Polo,as i was completely sold on it,though plans for a diesel hatch have been postponed for a few months now.
Polo isnt a slouch,and is an able performer on the highways,and i was able to touch 140 with ease,but telling that 1.2TDI is a better performer than 1.6 is absolute nonsense(No offence to anyone).
My daily commute is on a highway,and i come across many spirited drivers in Polo Diesel's,heck its no match for my Accent,in a straight line,forget the 1.6L 100+PS engine.

and not to mention-Polo 1.2TDI,is still the top contender in my list of prospective purchase.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 18:03   #969
BHPian

Quote:
By now, you would be thinking that I am crazy to make a comment like this without going through any basics and also without having a detailed first hand experience.

On the highway, when we are cruising at an engine speed of around 2500/3000 RPM (100/120 Kmph), it is very easy to just step on the accelerator and go past most vehicles - particularly on a gradient. This I have felt on a TDI diesel. But on Petrol cars, we need to down shift. This is what triggered my comment.
I don't think your crazy at all in saying all that you have mentioned. To drive the TDI on the highway is sheer pleasure. Everything that you mention is just how it is. Once your in the turbo range, even if you are in 5th, the car just darts forward.

I wish I'd captured on video recorder my drive up the hills to Panchgani. The torque + turbo together work seamlessly on inclines to make it effortless. I was passing cars up that road like I were overtaking them on the highway. Driving is beleving. However before one does that, getting used to driving the TDI is important to learn its strengths and weaknesses. Believe you me, the former outweighs the latter.
Old 29th July 2011, 11:22   #970
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I had the third puncture. I thought I will also get the tyre balancing done and went to a Tyre balancing shop in jayanagar, which I had known for years.

Details are as follows:
  • There was absolutely no bend in any of the Alloys.
  • One wheel did not require any weights. Self balanced!
  • Total cost of balancing was only Rs.275 including sticker weights.
  • Tyres were rotated - in a "X" manner. There was no uneven ware-out seen on the tyres.
Alloys are of very high quality. I am sure that they will last very long. However, same cannot be said about the Appolo tyres. They are hardly one year old and already full of minute cracks. I have decided to change the tyres after running it for another 15,000 Kms - That is, during my 3rd service.

I expect that a good tyre should atleast give a tyre mileage of 50,000 Kms and not develop cracks for atleast 3 years. I am planning to go for a Bridgestone this time - 185/60/15 or 195/60/15.

Any suggestion?
Old 29th July 2011, 11:44   #971
Senior - BHPian

Chethan, stick to the OE size.
185 is good enough for the power it generates, unless, of course, you want to show off
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2011, 13:06   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Chethan, stick to the OE size.
185 is good enough for the power it generates, unless, of course, you want to show off
185 is more than enough. Atleast for my driving habit. I am a guy who would stick to the OE size.

Bridgestone dealer says 185/60/15 is not available from their brand. Any idea?

For this reason, I was thinking... 195/60/15 is available with Bridgestone.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 29th July 2011 at 13:07.
Old 29th July 2011, 13:16   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
185 is more than enough. Atleast for my driving habit. I am a guy who would stick to the OE size.

Bridgestone dealer says 185/60/15 is not available from their brand. Any idea?

For this reason, I was thinking... 195/60/15 is available with Bridgestone.
Are u decided about Bridgestone?
If not, what about Michelins and Yokos? I have very good experience with Michelin XM1(+).

The difference in diameter is ~2% with 195/60, which is within acceptable limits.
I guess this is the next best option if you do not get 185/60 as I am sure you don't want to go for even lower profile which will make the ride harsher.
Your mileage might drop a little, may be 1-2 kmpl, not sure though.
Old 29th July 2011, 13:47   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are u decided about Bridgestone?
If not, what about Michelins and Yokos? I have very good experience with Michelin XM1(+).

The difference in diameter is ~2% with 195/60, which is within acceptable limits.
I guess this is the next best option if you do not get 185/60 as I am sure you don't want to go for even lower profile which will make the ride harsher.
Your mileage might drop a little, may be 1-2 kmpl, not sure though.
Not hell-bent on Bridgestone. Just that I have used for more than 10 years. I know what to expect. Also, tyre-gurus I have spoken to, recommend Bridgestone for Indian roads.

I would like to stick to OE size of 185/60/15. I drive around most places in Karnataka and not just Bangalore. Some roads are really bad.

I have seen that Michelin tyres have very soft side walls. That is my only worry. No idea about Yoko's. Please give me more information if you can.
Old 29th July 2011, 14:12   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G

Not hell-bent on Bridgestone. Just that I have used for more than 10 years. I know what to expect. Also, tyre-gurus I have spoken to, recommend Bridgestone for Indian roads.

I would like to stick to OE size of 185/60/15. I drive around most places in Karnataka and not just Bangalore. Some roads are really bad.

I have seen that Michelin tyres have very soft side walls. That is my only worry. No idea about Yoko's. Please give me more information if you can.
Hello Chetan, hearty congrats on your blissful 25k journey. I agree to all your points on the highway feel of the car, overtaking most cars is a breeze. Regarding Tyres, I suggest you go with Yokohoma S Drive 205/55/15. The overall dia diff is only 0.5% , so better specs compared to 195/60. Please check out on 1010tires.com . I have them on my Stallion (Polo Tdi hl) and the awesome grip and plush ride and safety feel I get cruising through rains and ghats at good speed, you should experience, next time you in Mumbai, let me know, will show my black stallion. And looks, they just blend so well.. Let me find my camera and get some pics ASAP
Frontosa is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks