Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 21:58   #946
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Wanted to know if a Polo Diesel engine needs to be idled for a few minutes after the first start in a day and should it be kept in idle mode for some time before it is switched off.

Also at a signal, is it advisable to switch off the engine if the wait time is over 30 seconds. Any particular thumb rule to follow?
Old 24th June 2011, 23:12   #947
Senior - BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
Wanted to know if a Polo Diesel engine needs to be idled for a few minutes after the first start in a day and should it be kept in idle mode for some time before it is switched off.

Also at a signal, is it advisable to switch off the engine if the wait time is over 30 seconds. Any particular thumb rule to follow?
Hi Venkatesh,

Upon cold start, idle the engine for about 45 to 60 seconds. Rule applies for both Diesel and Petrol engines of any make - More so for Turbo charged engines. During the end of the day or after a spirited drive, idle the engine for about a minute - Again rule applies for all Turbo Charged engines.

Normally on a cold start, I idle the engine for 30 seconds and then drive for a furlong without stepping on the accelerator. This takes care of the engine lubrication. Back in the evening, I again drive the last furlong without accelerating and idle for 30 seconds before turning off the engine. I live in a lane and cross a signal after 2 furlongs - This helps.

In between, I idle only if I have driven spiritedly and need to stop for something. Otherwise, I just turn off the engine. At the signal, I normally do not turn off the engine. But, it is recommended to turn off, if we need to wait for more than 30 seconds, to save fuel - Same rules apply here also.

Do not race for the first 2 / 3 kms. Polo Diesel engine does not require any additional precaution.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 24th June 2011 at 23:14.
Old 24th July 2011, 16:32   #948
Senior - BHPian

An Update @ 25,000 Kms

Got the engine oil topped up and the air filter cleaned. Engine oil needs to be topped up every 7,500 Kms by about 500ml - Fair enough.

Purchased extended warranty for 2 years @ Rs.7899 - Car is covered under warranty for 4 years or 1,00,000 Kms, which ever is earlier. In my case, both might coincide.

Polo is doing excellent and it has been a pleasure owning the Car! Second service will be due by the middle of August. Since I got the first service done at 12,000 Kms, I plan to get my second service done at 27,000 Kms. That should keep the 15,000 Kms service interval intact.

I am planning to get the tyre rotation and wheel balancing done outside before the service. I will get the wheel alignment done during the service at VW downtown.

Suggestions are welcome.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2011, 21:09   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
An Update @ 25,000 Kms

Got the engine oil topped up and the air filter cleaned. Engine oil needs to be topped up every 7,500 Kms by about 500ml - Fair enough.

Purchased extended warranty for 2 years @ Rs.7899 - Car is covered under warranty for 4 years or 1,00,000 Kms, which ever is earlier. In my case, both might coincide.

Polo is doing excellent and it has been a pleasure owning the Car! Second service will be due by the middle of August. Since I got the first service done at 12,000 Kms, I plan to get my second service done at 27,000 Kms. That should keep the 15,000 Kms service interval intact.

I am planning to get the tyre rotation and wheel balancing done outside before the service. I will get the wheel alignment done during the service at VW downtown.

Suggestions are welcome.
Hi Chethan,

Good to see you back updating your thread. Considering the fact that your Polo covered the maximum KMs reported in Team-BHP, any update is welcome

Great to know that it has been a wonderful and pleasant experience with your Polo running fine for all these KMs in < 15months with no issues at all. Awaiting your second service details.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 24th July 2011 at 21:10.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:22   #950
BHPian

Congrats on the 25k mark Chethan. As yours is one of the most-read Polo threads on TBHP, I'm asking my question here.

My Polo is perfectly fine in all aspects except that I've noticed this issue at times. Not sure if I can call it an "issue" as this has occurred only a very few times so far.

At times, when I change down to 2nd gear, and take my leg off the clutch, the car starts moving at an increased speed even without pressing the accelerator pedal. Literally, I control the car with brakes only as it keeps moving without the accelerator being pressed (feels like the car is rolling). The car goes on up to 30-40 kmph & then when I press the accelerator pedal, things get normal and the car just begins to move as usual. It happens just for a few seconds that I didn't consider a big thing to report here. But, my dad has noted the same issue very rarely in 3rd & 4th gears too & so he asked me about that abnormal behaviour. Did any other owners face such an issue?

I was thinking of discussing the same with the dealer a little later when I go for changing the headlamps. Is that fine or does it need some serious attention right away?

Moreover, I did a solo 500+ Km trip yesterday from South TN to Chennai and never noticed this issue.
Old 25th July 2011, 15:37   #951
BHPian

We (myself and my wife) faced similar issues several times. When she asked me about it, I told her that maybe the 1.6 engine is powerful enough to pull the car in idling mode in 2nd and 3rd gear. Dont know if it actually works that way. But we enjoy it as it feels like auto-cruise.
Old 25th July 2011, 15:54   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
We (myself and my wife) faced similar issues several times. When she asked me about it, I told her that maybe the 1.6 engine is powerful enough to pull the car in idling mode in 2nd and 3rd gear. Dont know if it actually works that way. But we enjoy it as it feels like auto-cruise .
Omega Man, I don't have complaints about it, just that wanted to know if it is normal or requires attention. But in my case its a 1.2 engine and still it pulls like that only at times and not several times as in yours.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:50   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Hi Chethan,

Good to see you back updating your thread. Considering the fact that your Polo covered the maximum KMs reported in Team-BHP, any update is welcome
Hi AvonA7,

I am always around! Just that I did not have any thing new, to add. I will post a report after the second service - With some interior picks, detailing the ICU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Congrats on the 25k mark Chethan. As yours is one of the most-read Polo threads on TBHP, I'm asking my question here.

My Polo is perfectly fine in all aspects except that I've noticed this issue at times. Not sure if I can call it an "issue" as this has occurred only a very few times so far.

At times, when I change down to 2nd gear, and take my leg off the clutch, the car starts moving at an increased speed even without pressing the accelerator pedal. Literally, I control the car with brakes only as it keeps moving without the accelerator being pressed (feels like the car is rolling). The car goes on up to 30-40 kmph & then when I press the accelerator pedal, things get normal and the car just begins to move as usual. It happens just for a few seconds that I didn't consider a big thing to report here. But, my dad has noted the same issue very rarely in 3rd & 4th gears too & so he asked me about that abnormal behaviour. Did any other owners face such an issue?

I was thinking of discussing the same with the dealer a little later when I go for changing the headlamps. Is that fine or does it need some serious attention right away?

Moreover, I did a solo 500+ Km trip yesterday from South TN to Chennai and never noticed this issue.
Thanks vw19d.

There are 2 reasons to this behavior as such:
  1. When you down shift, the engine RPM shoots up. If this kicks-in Turbo, we can feel a sudden increase in torque. This is usually the case when we down shift at around 1400 RPM. Generally at around 2000 RPM engine speed, we do not need to accelerate to keep moving, if the road is flat.
  2. Now a days, with ECU in place - the programme controls the fuel input in such a way, that the engine does not stall. Once we step on the accelerator, control is transfered.
Turbo charged engines behave a bit different, at different engine speeds - compared to the naturally aspirated engines. If this is noticed and understood, it will be a delight to drive them.

Hope this answers your question.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 09:40   #954
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks vw19d.

1. When you down shift, the engine RPM shoots up. If this kicks-in Turbo, we can feel a sudden increase in torque. This is usually the case when we down shift at around 1400 RPM. Generally at around 2000 RPM engine speed, we do not need to accelerate to keep moving, if the road is flat.
  2. Now a days, with ECU in place - the programme controls the fuel input in such a way, that the engine does not stall. Once we step on the accelerator, control is transfered.
Turbo charged engines behave a bit different, at different engine speeds - compared to the naturally aspirated engines. If this is noticed and understood, it will be a delight to drive them.

Excellent Chethan that was indeed a detailed reply. Hats off to you!

Drove in this "Auto-Cruise" mode today morning again when I came to work. It is easily felt when then AC is switched off. Surely, it is a delight to feel the car moving like that and there is absolutely no need to depress the accelerator pedal. The first 1 KM road from my home to the main road is full of potholes and the engine is powerful enough to even taken on the potholes without stalling at all. My satsifaction with the Polo is increasing day by day
Old 26th July 2011, 10:42   #955
BHPian

Quote:
An Update @ 25,000 Kms
Definitely the most miles clocked in a Polo TDI that I have come across. Mine has now done 10.5K in 8 months of ownership. Assuming my one year of ownership will conincide with the 1st Service.

On another note, I had VW clean my air filter last week so the kick in the pants has come back when I touch 1800 RPM.

Chethan, how are your brakes holding up? Have you had them replaced as yet? Were they adjusted in between? My pedal seemed a little spongy so got it adjusted along with cleaning and polishing of the drums and discs.
Old 26th July 2011, 10:57   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Hi AvonA7,

Thanks for the clarification Chethan. Are petrol Polos also Turbo Charged?

Quote:
Omega Man, I don't have complaints about it, just that wanted to know if it is normal or requires attention. But in my case its a 1.2 engine and still it pulls like that only at times and not several times as in yours.
I have experienced this almost everyday and that too with the AC ON. In fact while driving aroung our housing complex, I normally never use the accelerator, just cruise around upto 3rd gear. In fourth gear, I need to depress the clutch over speedbreakers and uphill roads or engine stalls.

This feature scares the hell out of my wife when the car suddenly lurches forward and continues rolling without pressing the accelerator after releasing the clutch.
Old 26th July 2011, 14:02   #957
BHPian

Quote:

I have experienced this almost everyday and that too with the AC ON. In fact while driving aroung our housing complex, I normally never use the accelerator, just cruise around upto 3rd gear. In fourth gear, I need to depress the clutch over speedbreakers and uphill roads or engine stalls.

This feature scares the hell out of my wife when the car suddenly lurches forward and continues rolling without pressing the accelerator after releasing the clutch.
May be since yours is a 1.6 engine, you experience it with the AC on. And mine being a 1.2, I feel it with AC turned off. But, the bottom line is this is a nothing to worry thing
Old 26th July 2011, 18:06   #958
BHPian

Quote:
An Update @ 25,000 Kms
Chethan,
Congratulations on completion of 25K.

Quote:
vw19d,
I have faced exactly the same with my 1.6. IMHO there is nothing wrong. But what I have noticed additionally, and which raises a valid question, is that the instant FE shown in the MID hovers around 8.5 to 9 when this happens however if you touch the accelerator slightly maintaining the same level acceleration the FE increases to a much better figure. I think (experts, correct me if I am wrong), this is to do with the idling settings of the ECU. The ECU pumps a fixed amount of fuel at idling to keep the engine running with the current load (A/C load if any). This may not be the optimum amount of fuel and when you press the accelerator the ECU gets out of idling mode and sends a more accurate amount of fuel again depending upon the load. This might be less than the idling fuel thus returning better FE. But the question is why would the amount of fuel at idling be more than that with the accelerator pressed lightly? I never thought of asking that to the SA, but if you or anyone reading this post gets interested, can go and ask VW/SA the same. You never know, this may be a bug in the ECU and can get fixed in due course of time.
Old 26th July 2011, 19:28   #959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
Chethan, how are your brakes holding up? Have you had them replaced as yet? Were they adjusted in between? My pedal seemed a little spongy so got it adjusted along with cleaning and polishing of the drums and discs.
Brakes are holding good. In fact, vehicles coming behind my car have a tough time.

Rear drums were cleaned during the first service. Brake pads are due to be replaced, during the second service.

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Chethan. Are petrol Polos also Turbo Charged?
Petrol Polos are not Turbo charged. In this case, it might be due to the ICU taking over the control..

Quote:
May be since yours is a 1.6 engine, you experience it with the AC on. And mine being a 1.2, I feel it with AC turned off. But, the bottom line is this is a nothing to worry thing
If you ask me, 1.2 TDI = 1.6 Petrol in terms of power. Drivablity within the city is better with 1.6 Petrol. On the highway, I would prefer a TDI any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Chethan,
Congratulations on completion of 25K.

Thanks!

vw19d,
I have faced exactly the same with my 1.6. IMHO there is nothing wrong. But what I have noticed additionally, and which raises a valid question, is that the instant FE shown in the MID hovers around 8.5 to 9 when this happens however if you touch the accelerator slightly maintaining the same level acceleration the FE increases to a much better figure. I think (experts, correct me if I am wrong), this is to do with the idling settings of the ECU. The ECU pumps a fixed amount of fuel at idling to keep the engine running with the current load (A/C load if any). This may not be the optimum amount of fuel and when you press the accelerator the ECU gets out of idling mode and sends a more accurate amount of fuel again depending upon the load. This might be less than the idling fuel thus returning better FE. But the question is why would the amount of fuel at idling be more than that with the accelerator pressed lightly? I never thought of asking that to the SA, but if you or anyone reading this post gets interested, can go and ask VW/SA the same. You never know, this may be a bug in the ECU and can get fixed in due course of time.
I agree. But once we step on the accelerator, we also tend to slow down the car - Is it not?

Your observation on FE, may be at a reduced speed....
Old 26th July 2011, 20:24   #960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
If you ask me, 1.2 TDI = 1.6 Petrol in terms of power.
Can you explain why you think so?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks