Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 23:11   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Just checking, are bridgestones better than Apollo Acelere in terms of grip and overall quality (reduced braking distance, road noise, longevity) ?
Definitely yes. A lot better. Rubber quality is a lot lot better in Bridgestones compared to Apollo Acelere.

Road noise and ride quality depends on 3 things - Thread design, rubber quality and side wall hardness.

Bridgestones are one of the best as far as longevity is concerned. This is my personal experience. On the other hand, Apollo Acelere tyres are made out of hard rubber. It ages very fast. Road noise increases a lot after about a year.

I am not sure about the braking distance - But logically, it should improve with improved overall quality. But the vehicle's weight / momentum is the same. Therefore, any change may only be minimal. But the overall control during braking may improve.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 30th July 2011 at 23:14.
Chethan B G is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 13:29   #992
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
Is this underbody cover available for Polo Petrol models as well? I don't know if it was specific for the TDI or for the Petrol as well
At which service outlet did you get it installed? Volkswagen Downtown
Do you have an official bill for it?Yes
My responses in bold above
NevGin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 13:36   #993
BHPian

change those "Apollo" tyres for god's sake please
Old 31st July 2011, 15:45   #994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Just checking, are bridgestones better than Apollo Acelere in terms of grip and overall quality (reduced braking distance, road noise, longevity) ?
Definitely yes, the bridgestones are much better. I found the 175/70/14 apollos on my 1.2 petrol are only good till 80-100 anything over that and the tyres skid like anything during heavy braking. Of course, my car doesnt have ABS but still I found the MRFs on Swift/800 to be much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
On the other hand, Apollo Acelere tyres are made out of hard rubber.
You will find hard compund tyres on most passenger car tyres and they last good but the over grip is just acceptable/for normal driving. Performance tyres have soft compound and hence they last less but the overall grip is excellent. For eg, S-Drives are silicon based tyres and they last only about 35k kms, but the grip levels are incredible. Even the FE is better than the hard compound Bridgestone. When I upgraded from 195/60/15 potenza RE88 to 205/55/15 S-Drive, I got similar/sometimes better FE than brisgestone. And this was when I thought that the FE will go down because of upsize..
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 01:29   #995
Senior - BHPian

Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 : 195 / 60 / R15 88H - for Polo Tdi HL

I have got an offer of Rs. 5,000 for my existing 4 Apollo Acelere tyres. This has tempted me to prepone my tyre change programme.

Choice was between Bridgestone and Michelin. Since I drive on all sorts of roads and also at odd hours, I wanted to have a set of tyres, which would give me piece of mind. Grip / Life / Ruggedness / Reduced tyre noise, were all equally important. For this reason, I have decided to go for Bridgestone Turanza ER-60. Polo will have these tyres by tomorrow.

Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 : 195 / 60 / R15 88H @ Rs. 4750 / Tyre, including Tyre balancing and fitment.

Check this link: Turanza tyres

I am going in for a 195 width tyre only because 185 / 60 / R15 is not available in any of the premium tyres, manufactured by these two companies. Difference in diameter after changing the tyres, will be 2%. Also, since the tyre is rated for much higher Load and Speed than required, rubber compound should hold for a longer time.

In total, it will cost me Rs.14,000/- to change all the 4 tyres. I plan to leave the spare tyre untouched, since I hardly use it. Please comment.
In addition to this, I am planning to add a rear-view Camera for my ICE.
Old 8th August 2011, 13:18   #996
BHPian

Re: Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 : 195 / 60 / R15 88H - for Polo Tdi HL

195/60 has a slightly larger diameter.
This will induce slight speedo error (speedo will show slower speed than actual).
It will make the car slightly softer on poor roads due to the increased diameter.
Also with the slightly increased sidewall height there will be more lateral movement of the sides - might result in slightly poor cornering ability. But the increased grip due to better compound should negate that.
Acceleration should improve as it will cover more distance in a single turn, but the in gear acceleration might drop when fully loaded as the torque figures does not change. This can get offset due to better compound and grip providing better traction on hard acceleration.
205/55 would have been a much better fit wrt size if available.

Do let us know your dirving experience once you hit the road with the new shoes.

Quote:
I have got an offer of Rs. 5,000 for my existing 4 Apollo Acelere tyres. This has tempted me to prepone my tyre change programme.

Choice was between Bridgestone and Michelin. Since I drive on all sorts of roads and also at odd hours, I wanted to have a set of tyres, which would give me piece of mind. Grip / Life / Ruggedness / Reduced tyre noise, were all equally important. For this reason, I have decided to go for Bridgestone Turanza ER-60. Polo will have these tyres by tomorrow.

Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 : 195 / 60 / R15 88H @ Rs. 4750 / Tyre, including Tyre balancing and fitment.

Check this link: Turanza tyres

I am going in for a 195 width tyre only because 185 / 60 / R15 is not available in any of the premium tyres, manufactured by these two companies. Difference in diameter after changing the tyres, will be 2%. Also, since the tyre is rated for much higher Load and Speed than required, rubber compound should hold for a longer time.

In total, it will cost me Rs.14,000/- to change all the 4 tyres. I plan to leave the spare tyre untouched, since I hardly use it. Please comment.
In addition to this, I am planning to add a rear-view Camera for my ICE.
Old 8th August 2011, 14:03   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely yes. A lot better. Rubber quality is a lot lot better in Bridgestones compared to Apollo Acelere............
.......But logically, it should improve with improved overall quality. But the vehicle's weight / momentum is the same. Therefore, any change may only be minimal. But the overall control during braking may improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
This will induce slight speedo error (speedo will show slower speed than actual).
It will make the car slightly softer on poor roads due to the increased diameter.
Also with the slightly increased sidewall height there will be more lateral movement of the sides - might result in slightly poor cornering ability. But the .......................................
.............Do let us know your dirving experience once you hit the road with the new shoes.
Better tyres , they are only going to improve the road dynamics of the car . Compromise would be on the speedometer reading and well on the fuel efficiency . But the positives are definitely lot better than the negatives . So going for a better tyre with the best size is a very logical decision .

The following Tbhp thread would give you information about the tyre sizes .
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...alculator.html

Other useful links
Tire Size Calculator

I am attaching an image which compares stock Polo tyres to 205/50/R15
Attached Thumbnails
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-tbhp.jpg  

rejoycjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2011, 14:35   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This will induce slight Speedo error (Speedo will show slower speed than actual).
Difference in diameter is 2%. It is within accepted limits.

On the lighter side: I had observed that the Speedo was showing a slightly higher value, compared to the speed indicated as per the GPS! Now, this is corrected! - It is a fact.

May be, the Speedo was calibrated with respect to this tyre size? Just joking!

Quote:
I agree. It may also increase GC by that much?

Quote:
Also with the slightly increased sidewall height there will be more lateral movement of the sides - might result in slightly poor cornering ability. But the increased grip due to better compound should negate that.
I should really check this out. Ventoman has used the same size for his Vento. I hope that the better compound and the increased width, will negate any problem caused by increased lateral movement - if any...

I am planning for a out-station trip this week. Will update after that.

Quote:
Acceleration should improve as it will cover more distance in a single turn, but the in gear acceleration might drop when fully loaded as the torque figures does not change. This can get offset due to better compound and grip providing better traction on hard acceleration.
I can literally feel the increase in traction after replacing the tyre, which was done on Saturday. I have driven about 100 Kms with the new tyres. The earlier tyre compound had hardened and because of this, I used to feel that the tyres were not gripping properly under hard acceleration. There was surely some extra energy lost due to tyre ware. FE also should marginally improve.

I could easily sense this while parking the car inside the gate, at home. At some point, front tyres used to spin loosing traction. But with the new tyres, it is smooth.

One year is a pretty short time for the tyre compound to harden. I expect Bridgestone tyres to hold for atleast 2 years. Good thing is that the new tyres have a higher load and speed rating. Since the compound is designed to withstand a higher rating, it may hold-on for a longer time on Polo-Tdi, under my driving pattern.

Quote:
205/55 would have been a much better fit WRT size if available.

Do let us know your driving experience once you hit the road with the new shoes.
205 would have increased friction. That would have altered FE.

IMHO, it is always a compromise, when we are deviating from the OEM specification - More so, when the OEM tyre size is the right one. Only thing we can ensure is that we stay within the allowed deviation of 2%.
Old 8th August 2011, 16:14   #999
BHPian

Quote:

I can literally feel the increase in traction after replacing the tyre, which was done on Saturday. I have driven about 100 Kms with the new tyres. The earlier tyre compound had hardened and because of this, I used to feel that the tyres were not gripping properly under hard acceleration. There was surely some extra energy lost due to tyre ware. FE also should marginally improve.

........... More so, when the OEM tyre size is the right one. Only thing we can ensure is that we stay within the allowed deviation of 2%.
We would be really interested in viewing the pics of your car with the new footwear .
Old 13th August 2011, 13:44   #1000
Senior - BHPian

After replacing the tyres, I have covered more than 1000 Kms. This week, I did a round trip to Bangalore-Mysore-Bangalore-Bellary-Davangere-Bangalore.

My observations are as follows:
  • Ride quality as compared to Apollo Acelere (when it was new), is far far better. Increase in the sidewall thickness of 7mm, has also contributed to this.
  • New tyres are filled with Nitrogen @ 31 Psi.
  • Compared to Apollo Acelere, road noise has drastically reduced. I can say that it is reduced by 80%.
  • Body roll has increased. But, not enough to alter the level of confidence. It is just a matter of getting used to. I got used to it after driving for about 300 Kms.
  • Better compound does wonders - Better traction during hard acceleration, better control during hard breaking, better FE for sure.
  • Steering feels a bit heavier - Because of the compound and the increased width (10mm) of the tyre.
  • Now, my Speedo is more closer to reality. GPS Speedo and the Polo's Speedo match 1:1 at all speeds.
  • MFD shows a better Avg FE than earlier. I am sure that the FE would have improved by atleast 5%.
  • GC has definitely improved - I had faced a problem of mud flaps scraping the humps. Now, the mud flaps are able to clear the same humps.
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-bridgestone-tyres-001.jpg

OE specified size of 185/60/R15 should be the first choice. But if the size is not available in Premium brands, 195/60/R15 will also do the job, near to perfection.
Old 14th September 2011, 22:02   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Some pictures taken after second service and Diamond-Bright interior and exterior cleaning...

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140005.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140006.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140007.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140008.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140009.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140010.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140011.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140012.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140013.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140014.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140015.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140020.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140021.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140022.jpg

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-p9140023.jpg

I will update all the details by this week end.
Chethan B G is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 09:12   #1002
BHPian

Impeccable Chetan! The car looks just out of the factory after the diamond birght cleaning. Where did you get it done? And do update us with the costs.

One more thing I noted in your car is the absence of seat belt for the passenger sitting in the middle at the rear seat. Did you get it removed?
Old 15th September 2011, 11:00   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Some pictures taken after second service and Diamond-Bright interior and exterior cleaning...

I will update all the details by this week end.
Cheers to your Black Beauty Chetan. Looks like its just out of the showroom. The HU looks like a perfect original fit, futuristic and a part of the console.

Awaiting all details this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Impeccable Chetan! The car looks just out of the factory after the diamond birght cleaning. Where did you get it done? And do update us with the costs.

One more thing I noted in your car is the absence of seat belt for the passenger sitting in the middle at the rear seat. Did you get it removed?
The seatbelts and its holders on the rear seat were an eyesore and would poke passengers in the wrong place when not in use.

I folded the seats and pushed both seatbelts and their holders into the boot. Now the rear seat looks neat, spacious and uncluttered.

Last edited by Omega Man : 15th September 2011 at 11:02.
Omega Man is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 17:24   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post

Thanks!

I have got this done by "Junction", located in front of R.V college of Physiotherapy, Jayanagar 4th Block, Bangalore. Dinesh@9945552146.

It cost-ed me approximately 4.5k with one year warranty and a free treatment after 6 months. Also, all the stains on the seat has been removed. It is as good as brand new. I think it is worth it.

I have just tucked the seat belt inside - By mistake.

3D kagu mats have really helped in keeping the floor clean.

Thanks Omega Man! I will definately post the details this week end...
Old 15th September 2011, 19:42   #1005
BHPian

Hi Chetan, Thanks for putting everything here. I have a few questions for you. I own a 1.2 Trendline.

1) Have you done anything for insulation. In cabin noise is killing my experience with the car. May be you and others can throw some light on how to make this petrol car quiter. I mean tyre, insulation, under hood insulation.. anything and everything that would help and may be what you have done for the same. in case you have, or someone else have. I need this car to be silent. It certainly has a big throat :P
2) I've only driven the car for around 500 kms and plan to leave for Ajmer early next month which would be a 1000 odd kms journey. I am not sure about run in period. I need suggestions on this. If any driving pattern to use while on long trips with new POLO to be used then would appreciate the mention. What should be the ideal way to run in POLO. I have never crossed 90 kmph so far. Only driven around NCR.
3) I hear noise coming from front under bonut while on rough roads. I feel something is loose which makes sound when on bumpy roads. Any idea on that. I could not go to the SS with the car. But plan to get it checked this Sat/Sun.
4) What all accessories you've added so far. A list of the items with source and price would be an excellent checklist for the perspective buyers.
5) Wiper blade made a lot of noise during the rain. I feel they've left some marks on the windshield as well. If I look at the car parked from above(2nd floor) I see a visible marks of Wiper blade. Will post pic of the same. to better explaination.
6) I opted for AMC. I read somewhere on your thread that you ran into some trouble related to that. I was confirmed by the dealer that I would not have to pay a single penny for the next 3 years. And to be frank I was a bit sceptical with that. But the dealer said everything will be taken care of and I don't have to worry about anything. Is that true. Because I don't have anything in writing as well for the AMC. How does that work?
7) I am yet to take extended warranty. Is it worth it? I am not sure whether to take extended warranty or not. Because there will be insurance to cover things. A brief description on what does extended warranty cover and what does Insurance cover would be good.
8) Is a HU like yours is better or a carputer? I am planning to install a carputer for its affordability and multi-functionality. What do you suggest?
9) I saw a lot of accessories on vw uk website. Have you added anything of that sort. I saw wing mirrors with light. Would it fit in our POLOs. There is a huge list of accessories offered on the website. I wish to get some of them. But I am not sure whether they would be worth spending money on.
10) Lastly, I want to know if there are after market products available to make a Trendline into more of a Highline variant. (Like I got colored ovrm and door handles. will get fog light as well) So what all can be added to a base model is what I need to know.

Thanks for listening to me
Kuldeep

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks