Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:42   #1141
Senior - BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph03nix View Post
Hello all,

I took delivery of my Polo TDI - Trendline yesterday. I will soon write up an initial ownership review.

However I found something worrisome. I tool the car for a 100KM spin yesterday. Everyone mentions a turbo kick after 2000 RPM. I don't know what I am missing, but for me I see no such thing in my car. It seems sluggish all the way to ~2800 RPM. (Did not rev beyond this since my car is yet to be run-in). This I experienced in all gears from 2nd to the 5th.

Note that I've driven quite a few diesel cars for a few hundred km each. Figo, Punto & Vista. Polo seems to be damn sluggish, no warning lights on the console though.

Should I be worried? A visit to the dealership warranted?

Quote:
Noticed this thread is a lot more active. Guys can you please throw some light on the sluggishness, I've mentioned in the post below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2733551
Hi Ph03nix! Congratulations on your new Polo.

From what I understand, either the Turbo is not kicking-in OR you are expecting a switch like action at around 1900 RPM. Since the engine warning light is not coming on, I feel that the problem is with the latter.

In Polo Tdi, Turbo assist does not act like a switch and it is a gradual build-up. This allows us to have more control on the car in stop/start traffic.

You can do 2 things to ascertain this:
  1. Check that your car pulls to 80 Kmph @ 2000 RPM in 5th gear and 1000 Kmph @ 2500 RPM again in 5th gear. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1931397 AND http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1945703 )
  2. Get the car checked at the dealership. If in doubt, drive the TD car at the dealership and compare...
Don't worry. All the best!
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:56   #1142
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi Ph03nix! Congratulations on your new Polo.

From what I understand, either the Turbo is not kicking-in OR you are expecting a switch like action at around 1900 RPM. Since the engine warning light is not coming on, I feel that the problem is with the latter.
Thanks for the quick reply Chethan. Helps a lot.
Twice while driving today(~20 km to office) I did get feel the turbo boost. Once in the second gear, once in the third. Nothing swift like, but definitely noticeable. But that's all, just twice.

I think I need to go take a TD of another vehicle.
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:36   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply Chethan. Helps a lot.
Twice while driving today(~20 km to office) I did get feel the turbo boost. Once in the second gear, once in the third. Nothing swift like, but definitely noticeable. But that's all, just twice.

I think I need to go take a TD of another vehicle.
One more thing I forgot to mention: Polo's cabin is very well insulated. This coupled with the tank like built quality, gives it excellent speed masking capability.

This also can make us feel that we are not moving at all! Particularly if driven in an open road.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:36   #1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
  1. Check that your car pulls to 80 Kmph @ 2000 RPM in 5th gear and 1000 Kmph @ 2500 RPM again in 5th gear
I tried that test. but my car took off into the air and became a plane

Anyway the Polo does feel slow even at high speeds simply because of its sturdiness and because of how well the airflow aerodynamics is designed making it extremely planted on the road. It is therefore hard to ascertain a definite "turbo" boost like in the swift which due to its lighter frame "feels" like its "taking off" in turbo as compared to the Polo. Although a speedometer comparison of both would show that they're both increasing their speeds at almost the same rate.
nigeltufnel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 11:52   #1145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeltufnel View Post
I tried that test. but my car took off into the air and became a plane

Anyway the Polo does feel slow even at high speeds simply because of its sturdiness and because of how well the airflow aerodynamics is designed making it extremely planted on the road. It is therefore hard to ascertain a definite "turbo" boost like in the swift which due to its lighter frame "feels" like its "taking off" in turbo as compared to the Polo. Although a speedometer comparison of both would show that they're both increasing their speeds at almost the same rate.
Sorry! That was a typo error. Please read it as "100 Kmph @ 2500 RPM again in 5th gear"

Aryabhata would be very happy, if he was around. An extra "0" could make the car fly!!
Old 10th April 2012, 09:16   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigeltufnel View Post
Polo weight - 1145 kgs
Swift weight - 1080 kgs
Difference in weight between the two cars is 65 kgs.
And better aerodynamics should let the car ideally accelerate faster reducing wind resistance.
Anyway, bottom line is polo does feel sluggish.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: I own a polo too
Old 10th April 2012, 23:17   #1147
BHPian

I believe the term all of us Polo owners are looking for is not sluggish. It looses its breath quickly in each gear. A little more power to the same motor would have done wonders
Old 10th April 2012, 23:33   #1148
Distinguished - BHPian

Like a fourth cylinder possibly?

I had grown to love my Swift's diesel grunt --- but, apart from fuel costs, I'm glad I bought a petrol Polo.
Old 13th April 2012, 16:05   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callme9009 View Post
Thanks rareone, I was waiting for you response. Now that there is no doubt I plan to visit the showroom and speak to the same regional manager once again. All I need is one - just one pic of your dash with steering and one contact number of any guy from Global Galore who can confirm this.

I am really waiting to book this asap, will expect a quick response from you!

Rgds,

Hi callme,

Any update regarding this, I am also waiting for the same. My SA also told me there is no such model and he advised me to take IPL edition...Please update me and I would like to book one in chennai

Regards,

rashv
Old 14th April 2012, 18:06   #1150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevGin View Post
I believe the term all of us Polo owners are looking for is not sluggish. It looses its breath quickly in each gear. A little more power to the same motor would have done wonders
Are you referring to Petrol Polo? Because, Tdi does not loose breath. Only problem with Tdi is the TurboLag. Once we get used to it, it does not create an issue.

Also, it depends on what car we are used to, before driving Polo. I did not have a problem since I upgraded from Spark and also because of my driving style. In-fact, I am enjoying my car right from day one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Like a fourth cylinder possibly?

I had grown to love my Swift's diesel grunt --- but, apart from fuel costs, I'm glad I bought a petrol Polo.
Even a 3 cylinder derived out of Vw's 2L Tdi engine would have been a killer. It would have got the excise benefit also, since it whould have been below 1500cc capacity. IMO, VW missed the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
My SA also told me there is no such model and he advised me to take IPL edition.
Hi Rashv,

What is this IPL edition?
Old 15th April 2012, 15:37   #1151
BHPian

Hi Chethan,

Check the below link and this is what my SA referred me:

IPL Edition II < Polo < Models < Welcome to Volkswagen India

Also he said that IPL edition kit will take some time to reach.

Regards,

rashv
rashv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 07:50   #1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashv View Post
Hi callme,

Any update regarding this, I am also waiting for the same. My SA also told me there is no such model and he advised me to take IPL edition...Please update me and I would like to book one in chennai

Regards,

rashv
@rashv .. Forget that version, I have wasted lots of money waiting for it!

@All, I have a small good news to share... I just booked the 1.2 Highline Diesel - IPL edition yesterday evening @Sundaram motors. The sales guy was very honest and not pushy like ABRA. Waiting period for my dream to come true - 3 months!!!!

I booked the White - Nothing beats the White one with the alloys !!!

I am so Happy Guys !!!
Old 17th April 2012, 12:30   #1153
BANNED

Hi Chethan...Wat would be the approx 2nd service cost done at 30000 kms that I can expect from a Polo diesel?
Old 17th April 2012, 13:18   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callme9009 View Post
@rashv .. Forget that version, I have wasted lots of money waiting for it!

@All, I have a small good news to share... I just booked the 1.2 Highline Diesel - IPL edition yesterday evening @Sundaram motors. The sales guy was very honest and not pushy like ABRA. Waiting period for my dream to come true - 3 months!!!!

I booked the White - Nothing beats the White one with the alloys !!!

I am so Happy Guys !!!

Callme,

How much they quoted for Insurance I think it's 27,810 for Comprehensive Insurance and for Drive Assure it's 14,061 extra. I checked with Bajaj Allianz the gave a quote about 28,000 + which includes Drive assure and 2 lakhs for passengers. I spoke to the Sundaram Motors he said they won't allow buying insurance privately..Could you confirm

Regards,

Ashwin
Old 17th April 2012, 15:10   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManavJain View Post
Hi Chethan...Wat would be the approx 2nd service cost done at 30000 kms that I can expect from a Polo diesel?
I think it would be anywhere between 15K and 20K - depending upon what all needs change. Usually they change the front brake disk and pad and if required the rear shoes. This itself cost around 8K. Rest goes into Oil change and other costs.
sadnabrina is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks