Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2013, 09:53   #1201
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Thanks Diffsoft! I will definitely do it. It is my Pleasure!
Hi Chethan:

I wanted to reach you for your opinion but your PM facility is disabled. Can you send me a PM and I will connect?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:56   #1202
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

My, my, this thread is still alive and kicking!

Coming back to Team-BHP only occasionally over the past few years, it feel like deja vu today!

Am planning to spend some time over the next few days to go through what all I have been missing.
Old 20th July 2013, 00:22   #1203
Senior - BHPian

New Polo - Highline TDI - Long Term Ownership Report

Update: 4th Interval Service @ 59k Kms on the ODO.

As the interval service was due, I took an appointment with WV Downtown. I was given an appointment a week later and was asked to leave my vehicle by 9.30 am at their Hosur road workshop. This was my 4th and last service as part of the AMC. I reached the workshop on time. Service personal completed all formalities with the Job-card. This was just a regular oil change service. As per the manual, brake fluid needed to be changed at 60k kms. Rear brake shoe needed replacement. Wiper blades had worn out and needed replacement. All this was entered in the Job card.

Then as usual, the problem started. This time the story was different. They started saying that the AMC was only for 3 years and it is already over!!

Every body were new. My AMC card did not have the period written on it. I had not preserved the receipts. I asked for duplicate receipts - This was declined saying that the accounts for the year 2010 is closed and forgotten!

I got fed-up of all this and did not even have the patience to deal with them. I took the car back home deciding that I will never go back to them. Half a day was un-necessarily wasted for this nonsence.

Later-on, I called Bangalore Motors @ RajajiNagar. I could get the appointment for the next day itself. Got the following things done at the service centre:
  1. Interval Service
  2. Inspection Service
  3. Brake Fluid replacement
  4. Rear Brake Pad replacement (Carried over from 2nd service)
  5. Engine Oil, Oil filter, Fuel Filter, Air filter and AC filter replacement
  6. Wiper Blades Front and Back Replacement
  7. Tyre Rotation

Following Campaigns were done under warranty:
  1. 4818 - Active return in column mounted EPS
  2. 97T1 - Fuel Temperature sender connector in engine wiring harness
  3. 97U2 - Main wiring loom fouling with sharp edges of Cockpit
  4. 57D7 - Outer door handles do not close properly
  5. 20R2 - Operation of fuel filter in Tdi CR engines
  6. 97Y2 - Steering column fuse box branch wire insulation damaged
  7. 97T9 - Instrument cluster wiring loom fouling with sharp edges

I was told that the steering feel will be heavier now and it is so. I am yet to check it thoroughly on the highway. I am driving to Shimoga tomorrow and will be back on Sunday. Will update the same once I return.

Over all, this service was very satisfying. Bangalore Motor staff @ Rjr were very professional in handling things. They have a good service setup. Total service costed me 12.5k approximately, which I think is fine once in 15k Kms. Car feels as good as new!!

Good-bye to VW DownTown and Welcome to Bangalore Motors @ Rjr!!

Battery in my car is now more that 3 years old. Off late, it is showing signs of it's age. Cold start crank prolongs to about 4 secs. I am thing of replacing the battery when it is still working, since I often travel to remote places.

Rating of the Alternator in Polo is 110 Amps. Capacity of Stock battery on Polo Tdi is 280A/60AH.

I am planning to change to Amaron and I have the following options:
  1. DIN 66 - 65AH (FLO - 24+24 Warranty)
  2. DIN 74 - 74AH (PRO - 30+30 Warranty)

Since the battery capacity is chosen based on the Alternator rating by design, I do not want to deviate too much. 10% higher capacity is OK I feel - But not sure.

Any input / suggestion on this will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 16:56   #1204
BHPian

Re: Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 : 195 / 60 / R15 88H - for Polo Tdi HL

Quote:
Hi Sadnabrina! Sorry for the late reply!

I have driven close to 25K Kms with the new shoes.. High time for the feedback..

1. Grip has been excellent. Breaking has improved - not that it was bad earlier.
2. GC has practically increased. Can easily make out the difference.
3. No perceivable change in body roll / cornering ability.
4. Speedo reading and the GPS speed indicator matches!
5. Car feels slightly softer on rough roads at 30 Psi pressure all round.
6. Tyre noise has not increased even after a year - Rubber component has held together.

I feel 205 width is a over kill. 195 is more that adequate. I am happy that I changed the tyres to this size.

Very recently, I had been to Kannur Via Mysore and also an extensive north Karnataka tour. Total trip was about 2500 Kms. Control is excellent. Loved the drive!

Update: I have changed the IRVM which costed me Rs.410/- at VW Hubli dealership. This was because the glass in the IRVM had somehow become loose and was rattling. Now the field of view does not change when we shift from day mode to night mode (Old problem).

I feel that the power has increased now after the third service. Not sure if the software upgrade has remapped the engine tuning. Any ways, I am extremely happy with the Polo's performance.
Hi Chetan,

Does the tyre upgrade any way affected the warranty? I read somewhere in your thread you have extended your warranty. If that's done then warranty shouldn't be a problem, right?

How is the fuel efficiency? Did it drop substantially?

How is the ride quality after the change? You said,

"5. Car feels slightly softer on rough roads at 30 Psi pressure all round."

Does that mean a compromise to ride or its more like a comfortable ride?

How is the handling in city? Is it tough to maneuver since the grip is more now.

Thanks!
Anish

Last edited by alexanish : 22nd July 2013 at 17:02.
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:31   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
Hi Chetan,

Does the tyre upgrade any way affected the warranty? I read somewhere in your thread you have extended your warranty. If that's done then warranty shouldn't be a problem, right?

If we upgrade the tyre to a very different one, it will have adverse effect on the hub / bearing and also on the suspension setup. This is the main reason manufacturers discourage us from upgrades. But when the upgrade is done in a responsible way (about 2% difference in diameter), it will more likely fall within the design tolerance. But yes - any deviation from specification will void warranty. Usually, this comes up only when there is a claim.

How is the fuel efficiency? Did it drop substantially? No perceivable change in FE.

How is the ride quality after the change? You said,

"5. Car feels slightly softer on rough roads at 30 Psi pressure all round."

Does that mean a compromise to ride or its more like a comfortable ride? There is a bit more cushioning effect since the wall thickness has increased. But the body roll is the same. It has not increased.

How is the handling in city? Is it tough to maneuver since the grip is more now. In fact, upgrade has increased the steering feedback. This upgrade has been positive in all sence. I have driven the car about 35k Kms after this upgrade. Tyre is good enough for another 15k Kms.
Hi! An update:

Changed the Battery to DIN 74 - Amaron Pro - 74AH - 150A Reserve - 690A CCA - 5A charging current. Battery fits very well physically.

Steering feedback has improved after the Campaign. My trip to Shimoga was very pleasant. Braking efficiency has come back to normal.

There is absolutely no rattling inside the car, even after 3+ years and 60k Kms of running. That is excellent!

All in all, it is a pleasure to own and drive this car!
Old 25th July 2013, 12:42   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Hi! An update:

Changed the Battery to DIN 74 - Amaron Pro - 74AH - 150A Reserve - 690A CCA - 5A charging current. Battery fits very well physically.

Steering feedback has improved after the Campaign. My trip to Shimoga was very pleasant. Braking efficiency has come back to normal.

There is absolutely no rattling inside the car, even after 3+ years and 60k Kms of running. That is excellent!

All in all, it is a pleasure to own and drive this car!
Thanks Chetan!

I spoke to the VW sales person again and he confirmed that up size will void the warranty. So I now have only limited options. I have called up the Millivisions Marketing Pvt Ltd and they said Bridgestone Turanza ER300 is the best option at 185/60/R15. They can buy back stock apollo for 3K and selling price for ER300 is 4300K. Do you know if Apollo stock tyre to ER300 makes sensible upgrade? Or both same characteristics? I mean comparing life/ride/noise etc?

Any input from people who have used ER300 will be helpful

Thanks!
Anish
Old 26th July 2013, 08:59   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
Thanks Chetan!

I spoke to the VW sales person again and he confirmed that up size will void the warranty. So I now have only limited options. I have called up the Millivisions Marketing Pvt Ltd and they said Bridgestone Turanza ER300 is the best option at 185/60/R15. They can buy back stock apollo for 3K and selling price for ER300 is 4300K. Do you know if Apollo stock tyre to ER300 makes sensible upgrade? Or both same characteristics? I mean comparing life/ride/noise etc?

Any input from people who have used ER300 will be helpful

Thanks!
Anish
Bridgestone Turanza tyres are definitely better than Apollo stock tyres for Indian roads. But road noise may not decrease..

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Br...anza-ER300.htm

This was not available when I upgraded. All the best. Give us your feedback..
Old 15th September 2013, 10:02   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Long-term Ownership Report

Final impressions @ 63,000 Kms on the ODO:

It has been 3 1/4 years of ownership. I must say that it was a wonderful experience owning / driving this car. Finally, with lots of memories to rejoice and share, I exchanged Polo to a New Jetta from Mysore VW Dealer!

Car had Premium leather seats, Pioneer system with GPS/BT/DVD/Radio/USB/SD/Touch screen, 70% visibility 3M film all round, New 74DIN Amaron-Pro Battery with 5 years Warranty, 9 Months Warranty, Bridgestone tyres that can run for another 15k Kms, and 63k on the ODO! As this indicates, my decision to upgrade was almost sudden, reason mainly being investment to avail depreciation. Polo fetched me rupees 5.35L as buy back value, which is pretty decent IMO.

Polo is no-doubt an excellent product from VW. With the new cars coming out with Steering mounted audio controls, HU with USB/BT, ACC, EORVM and a different sun-Visor, it is a very difficult package to beat. 1.6 Tdi and 1.2 Tsi engines, make this package unique. My suggestion to VW is to offer these two engines on Cross-Polo. Also, Polo's with these high power engines should get stiffer suspension, all wheel disk brakes and ESP as standard.

With good products in the line-up, A** has to improve. There is no point in waiting for any part for more than a week - Downtime needs to be reduced. Normal OIL change service should not take more than a day. It is un-professional to confirm an appointment to periodical services and than delay delivery, siting numerous non-technical issues.

Barring some issues I had with VW dealer Elite Motors, my impressions on Polo as a product is excellent. I recommend this product to anybody who is in the lookout for a car in this segment.

Thank to all for following this thread and giving me valuable suggestions. Finally, I choose to continue my journey in my New-Jetta 2.0 Tdi Highline MT - White. More on this in a fresh thread!
Chethan B G is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 13:00   #1209
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, and congratulations on your new Jetta. I think this will be a huge step from the Polo, but, of course, at a huge price difference too. Can you post the link to your new thread in this thread please? Otherwise I might miss it and I'll be interested to see.

Interesting that, despite some difficulties with VW a-s-service, you are sticking with them.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 13:34   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks, and congratulations on your new Jetta. I think this will be a huge step from the Polo, but, of course, at a huge price difference too. Can you post the link to your new thread in this thread please? Otherwise I might miss it and I'll be interested to see.

Interesting that, despite some difficulties with VW a-s-service, you are sticking with them.
Thanks a lot! I will definitely post the link here.

Product is too good and that made me over-look some jokers around.
Old 17th September 2013, 16:19   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can you post the link to your new thread in this thread please? Otherwise I might miss it and I'll be interested to see.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3239954

Thanks!
Old 17th September 2013, 16:39   #1212
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. I might not have anything to post there, but I'll subscribe to follow your experience.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2013, 11:47   #1213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liner4u View Post
Hey guys I have a faulty EGR valve on my Polo and the engine warning light comes on every time i start the car along with the heated glow light. Took the car to the service centre and they have ordered the part which will take 5 days to reach and the cost of the part is 25K !!!!!

The dealer has said that they will send a request to VW asking for replacing the part on a goodwill since the part should not have gone.

Dont know what the response is as yet and im not that hopeful...

Any suggestions
Hi there,

This may be coming in a bit late, but in my experience I'd strongly recommend buying an OBDII device to at least diagnose the issue. Once you are able to figure out the exact problem you won't be at the dealer's mercy.

I'd like to share my experience, the other day my colleague requested me to have a look at the engine light in his Hyundai i10 petrol. I connected my OBDII and found out that there was some issue with the Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit (error code P0077). I asked him to contact the Hyundai service center to rectify the problem. The SA guided him over telephone on how to check and rectify the issue and believe it or not that he was able to just fix the wiring (apparently rats had chewed off a bit of the wiring and he was able to fix it after making some minor modifications) himself. The SA was apparently surprised that my colleague was able to pinpoint the problem. The error code had to be reset for the engine light to disappear so the SA sent a mechanic with the diagnostic tools to reset the code. All this costed him 1200 bucks.

The same day I was demonstrating this to another colleague who had the same engine light in his Ford Figo Petrol. We found out that the camshaft position sensor (error code P0340) was damaged. This chap decided to go to the nearest Ford showroom to get it rectified. In this case too, the SA was surprised that my colleague knew what the problem was.

I received the same response when I found out that there was some issue with the turbo hose pipe on my VW Polo 1.2 TDI a few weeks ago.

Here's the link to the post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3282578

The look on the SA's face was priceless when I gave a demo of the Bosch fun2drive app and the OBDII adapter at the service center! He found it hard to swallow and he was like ''Sir if you have so much knowledge then we won't be able to survive too long!'' :P

At least I have realized that we really aren't at the dealer's mercy if we arm ourselves with the right gadgets/information.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Vishwas

Last edited by vishwasvr : 3rd November 2013 at 11:55.
vishwasvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 11:16   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
195 is more that adequate. I am happy that I changed the tyres to this size.
Hi Chethan,
Does the spare tyre(195/60/R15) fit in the place meant for storing the spare wheel?
would appreciate your answer on the same.

Background: I have booked the Polo GT TSi and planning to upgrade all five tyres to 195/60/R15.
Old 5th November 2013, 12:23   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
Hi Chethan,
Does the spare tyre(195/60/R15) fit in the place meant for storing the spare wheel?
would appreciate your answer on the same.

Background: I have booked the Polo GT TSi and planning to upgrade all five tyres to 195/60/R15.
I have not checked it. But, since the difference in diameter is around 2%, it should fit without problem.

IMHO, replace only 4 tyres. That will do. Spare Tyre is almost unused. I would have used mine once in 65k kms.

Now a days, with puncture protection jell available in the after market (also available with dealers and recommended by VW), we hardly need a spare tyre.

All the best! Congratulations!! Drive safe!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks