Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 23:02   #931
BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Note from Support: Your query has been posted in another thread. Please don't cross-post. Thanks!
Old 13th May 2011, 02:17   #932
Senior - BHPian

re: New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Thank you Buffetfan!

The 205.55.15 has slightly higher sidewalls than 185.60.15 and hence it wont affect ride quality, infact better it. This I understood from one of GTO's post earlier.!
Sidewall height is not the only criteria, unfortunately. A wider tire also picks up more undulations from the road surface and hence a bumpier ride.

I can see this in my Innova - 225/60R15 have a better sidewall height compared to the stock 205/65R15. Still has a very slightly firm ride in comparison.
Old 20th May 2011, 19:06   #933
BHPian

Hi Chethan,

Since you have done extensive research on the Polo Audio System, could you help me with the technical specs of the kenwood system that comes with highline. I wanted to upgrade, but now planning to just add a pair of JBLs on the rear parcel tray (with a good tweeter)
Old 30th May 2011, 21:19   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrisri View Post
Hi Chethan - Did you review any other speakers before finalizing on Hertz speakers?

I got my Polo 1.6 last week and I'm looking to upgrade the speakers on them (without changing the HU or adding an amp).
I checked Polk audio also. Polk audio speakers are good for rock music. Hertz is good for classical. Price difference is not much. You can try both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infantarian View Post
Hi Chethan,

Since you have done extensive research on the Polo Audio System, could you help me with the technical specs of the kenwood system that comes with highline. I wanted to upgrade, but now planning to just add a pair of JBLs on the rear parcel tray (with a good tweeter)
Stock HU is Blaupunkt and not Kenwood. Very basic one. SQ is also very average. Infact, you should change the stock speakers first. Just by doing that SQ improves by 25%.

An Update:

Finally I could get the GPS integrated to my Pioneer 3250BT head unit. Bx200 from MapMyIndia integrates perfectly and looks great!

MapmyIndia Navigator In Dash Car Navi box : With India's best maps and driving directions | Turn-by-turn directions | Travel across India

It costed me 19K with B & W. Version 6 Map from MapMyIndia looks good. With this all the upgrades I had planned for my Polo is completed. Atleast as of now. Car is doing well and it is a pleasure to drive as usual!

Last edited by mobike008 : 31st May 2011 at 15:36. Reason: Stick to 2 smileys per post. Tks!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 14:27   #935
BHPian

Welcome back Chetan, could you post pictures of your ICE upgrade? Did you use the fascia from Europe? Do such fascia give perfect fit and finish?
Old 31st May 2011, 15:13   #936
BHPian

Congratulations on the vehicle (This is probably a bit late). Looks stunning in black. The fog lamps and the headlamps stand out in this colour. How is the high speed performance of this vehicle?

I recently went on a long drive along the NH45, and was surprised to see a TDi doing 170 KM/hr. Was there an upgrade of the diesel unit that I missed, or is the original engine capable of doing such speeds? Impressive I must say.
Old 31st May 2011, 18:13   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Welcome back Chetan, could you post pictures of your ICE upgrade? Did you use the fascia from Europe? Do such fascia give perfect fit and finish?
Hi! I had gone on a month long holiday. Good to be back.

I have searched my own thread to answer your questions. Please go through the following posts on this thread.
  1. post no: 663, page no:45
  2. post no: 758, page no:51
  3. post no: 773, page no:52
GPS upgrade will not alter any thing WRT looks of the ICE. I will try to post some GPS navigation menus during the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Congratulations on the vehicle (This is probably a bit late). Looks stunning in black. The fog lamps and the headlamps stand out in this colour. How is the high speed performance of this vehicle?

I recently went on a long drive along the NH45, and was surprised to see a TDi doing 170 KM/hr. Was there an upgrade of the diesel unit that I missed, or is the original engine capable of doing such speeds? Impressive I must say.
Thanks. It is better late than never!

This car has excellent high speed performance. Both in terms of handling/stability and top-end grunt. It is a delight to drive this car on the highway. Even though on papers, it is just a 3 pot engine, it can deliver much better.

And yes. It is the original engine without any modification, which can deliver such greats. I have crossed 160 on my Polo and there was quite a bit more steam left. Not heard of any modifications. IMHO, modifications are not necessary for this car, since our roads/traffic do not permit us to exploit further enhancements.

Another update:

Polo insurance was due for renewal on 3rd June 2011. I renewed with "United India Insurance". Cash less transaction + Zero depreciation + No claim bonus = Rs. 12,434/-

I had received an offer from ICICI Lombard (my original insurer through the VW dealer) for 16k+. I am richer by 4k.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2011, 23:36   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Hi! I had gone on a month long holiday. Good to be back.

I have searched my own thread to answer your questions. Please go through the following posts on this thread.
  1. post no: 663, page no:45
  2. post no: 758, page no:51
  3. post no: 773, page no:52
GPS upgrade will not alter any thing WRT looks of the ICE. I will try to post some GPS navigation menus during the weekend.

Thanks. It is better late than never!

This car has excellent high speed performance. Both in terms of handling/stability and top-end grunt. It is a delight to drive this car on the highway. Even though on papers, it is just a 3 pot engine, it can deliver much better.

And yes. It is the original engine without any modification, which can deliver such greats. I have crossed 160 on my Polo and there was quite a bit more steam left. Not heard of any modifications. IMHO, modifications are not necessary for this car, since our roads/traffic do not permit us to exploit further enhancements.

Another update:

Polo insurance was due for renewal on 3rd June 2011. I renewed with "United India Insurance". Cash less transaction + Zero depreciation + No claim bonus = Rs. 12,434/-

I had received an offer from ICICI Lombard (my original insurer through the VW dealer) for 16k+. I am richer by 4k.
That's interesting to hear. The things that numbers do to the human mind. A 75 bhp engine doing 170 KM/hr sure is interesting. Diesels sure are going the right way forward.
Old 6th June 2011, 17:36   #939
Max
BHPian

chethan, did you buy insurance online or you went through some broker / agent?.

Also, FanaticOnWheels. I don't feel its safe to drive 170KM on Indian roads, even united states has speed limit of 100-120kph speed limits on its highways. Please drive safe.

btw, I don't drive more then 110kmph on express ways and on normal highways its 70-100kph. Once upon a time, I was driving on empty highway at 70kmph and suddenly a kid appeared from nowhere and started running on highway. I pushed my car breaks very hard but was unable to stop the car. Fortunately my luck was good on that day and kid saw my car and backed off which saved both of our lives. It was very scary experience and I would highly discourage everyone from driving so fast even on empty highways.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:12   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
That's interesting to hear. The things that numbers do to the human mind. A 75 bhp engine doing 170 KM/hr sure is interesting. Diesels sure are going the right way forward.
while it is not at all advisable to drive at such speeds, I want to clarify some things here.
True top speed of Polo TDI is around 156 kmph and if you account for 7-10% speedo error, it might hit 170 on the speedo.
FYI - Swift Diesel with a 75 bhp motor has a slightly higher top speed. Some of the bigger hatches have top speed in the range of 150-160 kmph (true speed) while many others have higher top speed

Most of the petrol hatchbacks have a true top speed more than 160 kmph (Swift petrol at 165 kmph. for example).

Just pick out any issues of Autocar where you have a comparo of the hatchbacks and you can verify the figures.
I have hit almost 160 kmph on my 63 bhp Santro
What I am trying to say is that there is nothing unusual about a 75 hp motor hitting 170 on the speedo and it has nothing to do with diesel as well.

Again, I am not advocating driving at those speeds. I had my share of luck in some situations which could have been deadly otherwise! And I am a much more sane driver now-a-days! So, let us keep the top speed discussions theoretical and drive safe . Most cars have enough power to attain the 'safe' speed limits in our conutry.
Old 6th June 2011, 18:33   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
while it is not at all advisable to drive at such speeds, I want to clarify some things here.
True top speed of Polo TDI is around 156 kmph and if you account for 7-10% speedo error, it might hit 170 on the speedo.
FYI - Swift Diesel with a 75 bhp motor has a slightly higher top speed. Some of the bigger hatches have top speed in the range of 150-160 kmph (true speed) while many others have higher top speed

Most of the petrol hatchbacks have a true top speed more than 160 kmph (Swift petrol at 165 kmph. for example).

Just pick out any issues of Autocar where you have a comparo of the hatchbacks and you can verify the figures.
I have hit almost 160 kmph on my 63 bhp Santro
What I am trying to say is that there is nothing unusual about a 75 hp motor hitting 170 on the speedo and it has nothing to do with diesel as well.

Again, I am not advocating driving at those speeds. I had my share of luck in some situations which could have been deadly otherwise! And I am a much more sane driver now-a-days! So, let us keep the top speed discussions theoretical and drive safe . Most cars have enough power to attain the 'safe' speed limits in our conutry.
Well you can rest assured that such speeds were achieved on straight, clear stretches. I generally do not exceed 120 km/hr on national highways, except for the occasional bursts to open up the iVtec . That said, it was impressive the way the TDi pulled at speeds > 140.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:40   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrisri View Post
Hi Chethan - Did you review any other speakers before finalizing on Hertz speakers?

I got my Polo 1.6 last week and I'm looking to upgrade the speakers on them (without changing the HU or adding an amp).

I just installed Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15 on my Polo 1.6. They're very good. Comfort has improved.. drive is lot smooth now and road noise has significantly reduced (compared to what it was with stock Apollo Accelere's).
Hi Shrisri

How much did the Michelin tyres cost you per tyre? Did the dealer give a buyback price?
Old 7th June 2011, 09:39   #943

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkateshkm View Post
Hi Shrisri

How much did the Michelin tyres cost you per tyre? Did the dealer give a buyback price?
Venkatesh, each Michelin Primacy LC 195/60 R15 cost Rs. 5800. The dealer offered me buyback price of Rs.2500 per tyre of stock ones (Apollo Accelere 185/60 R15).

Dealer: Reliance Autozone on ORR, HSR Layout
shrisri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 13:42   #944
BHPian

Just wished to know if Polo has got an external 12V power adapter just in case we need to charge our mobile. Dont remember seeing one?
Old 17th June 2011, 14:48   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisha8 View Post
Just wished to know if Polo has got an external 12V power adapter just in case we need to charge our mobile. Dont remember seeing one?
The Polo has a 12V power socket. It's hidden behind the cup holders.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks