Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2010, 11:42   #106
Senior - BHPian

The route you took should have been really beautiful at this time of the year, when it has just started to rain.

Congrats on the car, and wish you a very happy motoring.
Old 15th June 2010, 12:31   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
So much to be done to lift up the wiper ? engineering !!
Only if there is some advantage to the complete complex procedure vs other cars.
Old 16th June 2010, 08:23   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
@chethan, Just a curiosity have you ever thought for having chrome on windows just like in BMWs and accord. Are they available accessories with dealer too. I bet this would make Car looks more classier even better then chrome on front grill.
This is interesting. Is it possible for you to post some Pics? Haven't heard it from the dealer.

Quote:
next time no excuses . You got to take the camera , take some breaks and manage some pics .
Green scenery - straight roads - drizzle - Polo ; Its just picture perfect !!

Yes Sir!

But really good to hear the car performance on highway and the ghat section . Isnt it a nice feeling to wander in the roads and people noticing you and the car ? It become even more special when you need to spend only 2 rs for every Km that you drive

Yesterday, on my Mysore trip, MFD went up to 26 Kmpl - Avg FE!! I will post that pic.

So much to be done to lift up the wiper ? engineering !!

I am really eager to find out the reason. How is it in Skoda, Audi, Merc - Any idea?

Agree , but I dont think we can do much about it . Its just about being careful when you climb down
And some times going up also. To understand it better, next time I will take a snap and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
The route you took should have been really beautiful at this time of the year, when it has just started to rain.

Congrats on the car, and wish you a very happy motoring.
Thanks deepakhon. The route is very beautiful. Mainly between Tarekere and Chickmangalore. Worth visiting. On the way back, one can visit Belur temple also. This is between Chickmangalore and Hassan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Only if there is some advantage to the complete complex procedure vs other cars.
I heard that most German cars are designed this way. Don't know why?
Old 16th June 2010, 08:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

Polo - Tdi FE!!

This one is amazing. My past experience tells me that this can be believed. I could achieve it in 5th gear - 60-80 Kmph constant speed on Bangalore - Mysore road.
Attached Thumbnails
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-mfdfe1.jpg  

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-mfdfe2.jpg  

Old 16th June 2010, 09:24   #110
BHPian

Quote:
well no idea , may be we are not used to it . Hope there is a reason for the same . @ chethan , if you can have a chat with the SP at VW dealership that will be perfect .

Quote:
Yesterday, on my Mysore trip, MFD went up to 26 Kmpl - Avg FE!! I will post that pic.

And some times going up also. To understand it better, next time I will take a snap and post it.
Great , and I saw the average FE in your MFD picture , good going brother .

Scrapping the bumper to the ramps will definitely make our heart sink . Any Idea on the approximate approach angle ?
Old 16th June 2010, 10:02   #111
BHPian

@chethan: Here, I had posted Honda Accord pic with chrome on the windows. However, I am not sure if they are available accessories with VW.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:23   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well no idea , may be we are not used to it . Hope there is a reason for the same . @ Chetan , if you can have a chat with the SP at VW dealership that will be perfect .

Great , and I saw the average FE in your MFD picture , good going brother .

Scrapping the bumper to the ramps will definitely make our heart sink . Any Idea on the approximate approach angle ?
I will do so.

Bumper scrapping: This never happens while passing on road humps, however big they are (practically, you won't have a hill in front of you).

I had problem for the first time (only once until now) in Shimoga. In my relatives house, near the gate, there is a ramp. The difference between the level of the road and the level of the floor inside the gate is quite high. Also the inclination is very abrupt (reaches 1 1/2 feet height in a span of 1 1/2 feet). When I tried to drive the car inside the gate, bottom of the front bumper scrapped. (I used to park my Spark in the same place, without any problem). Then, I tried parking reverse and was successful without any problems. While bringing the car out, I did not have any problems.

In Bangalore, I have a ramp in front of the gate of my house. This is also quite steep. But I do not have any problems. Will post some pics today night.

I would like to add: This bumper is of very high quality. IMO it will not be damaged by these scraps. But the sound it makes, irritates.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 16th June 2010 at 11:32.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:17   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@chethan: Here, I had posted Honda Accord pic with chrome on the windows. However, I am not sure if they are available accessories with VW.
Sorry Subaro123. Pics are not visible. Can you post it again?
You can also post a link to a URL if available.

IMHO have no worries about this 3 pot engine! If 3 can do it, why have 4?!!

Last edited by Chethan B G : 16th June 2010 at 12:32.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:05   #114
BHPian

Don't know why it doesn't come. Check out this link

Honda Accord Crosstour wallpaper # 07 of 169, Front Angle, MY 2010, 800x600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Sorry Subaro123. Pics are not visible. Can you post it again?
You can also post a link to a URL if available.

IMHO have no worries about this 3 pot engine! If 3 can do it, why have 4?!!
Old 16th June 2010, 13:34   #115
BHPian

front bumper scrapping is making me nervous, actually I was planning to have skirting on front bumper, but your experience is making me rethink about my decision.

during my first TD I had noticed this wiper issue, when I asked SP he said it is for safety reason, and how? he didnt have a clue. I tried thinking a lot about it but could not find any logic for such a design. One thing for sure, it cannot be a design fault. I have stayed in Germany and one thing I have noticed, if they do something it is for a valid reason, they always have some logic. Most of the times you can make it out but this is like the toughest riddle.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:34   #116
BHPian

Awesome FE Chethan it will ease some of the pain of paying what may would feel a high cost for a hatchback
Old 16th June 2010, 15:24   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't know why it doesn't come. Check out this link

Honda Accord Crosstour wallpaper # 07 of 169, Front Angle, MY 2010, 800x600
Wow! It looks great! But it is not available as an accessory with the Dealer. maybe, after some time, it will be available as an after market fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formel_eins View Post
front bumper scrapping is making me nervous, actually I was planning to have skirting on front bumper, but your experience is making me rethink about my decision.

during my first TD I had noticed this wiper issue, when I asked SP he said it is for safety reason, and how? he didnt have a clue. I tried thinking a lot about it but could not find any logic for such a design. One thing for sure, it cannot be a design fault. I have stayed in Germany and one thing I have noticed, if they do something it is for a valid reason, they always have some logic. Most of the times you can make it out but this is like the toughest riddle.
Skirting is definitely not a practical add-on. I think that the lowest part of the car is the bottom of the front bumper. I strongly suggest you to rethink on this. Skirting's are not cheap to forgive and forget.

I totally agree with you. Collectively, we will try to find out the reason. It is interesting. It is definitely not a design fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Awesome FE Chethan it will ease some of the pain of paying what may would feel a high cost for a hatchback
In fact the avg FE had gone past 26Kmpl during some patches of the journey. I have filled the tank until the rim. I will refill it again after 2 days and post.
Old 16th June 2010, 15:51   #118
BHPian

I am intrigued at the wiper design. Can u guys confirm, if the wiper is in the parked position (i.e, when not lift-able), does the wiper blade touch the windscreen or there is a slight gap. Also, once it is brought into a position from where it can be lifted up for cleaning (as per the process mentioned in the manual), does it still touch the windscreen.

If indeed there is gap in the so-called parked position, then it is an intelligent design - inspired may be from HDD read/write head parking technology.

Or, is it something to do with anti-theft deterrence?

Last edited by sanjayc : 16th June 2010 at 15:57.
Old 16th June 2010, 16:20   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

I haven't seen this (not seen a polo close-to yet) but I suspect that there are two reasons for this feature:

1. Clean visual lines

2. Clean aerodynamic lines.
Old 16th June 2010, 17:48   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
I am intrigued at the wiper design. Can u guys confirm, if the wiper is in the parked position (i.e, when not lift-able), does the wiper blade touch the windscreen or there is a slight gap. Also, once it is brought into a position from where it can be lifted up for cleaning (as per the process mentioned in the manual), does it still touch the windscreen.

If indeed there is gap in the so-called parked position, then it is an intelligent design - inspired may be from HDD read/write head parking technology.

Or, is it something to do with anti-theft deterrence?
I checked it. There is no gap in either positions. Wiper blade touches the windscreen and seats perfectly on it. There must be some other reason. Anti-theft deterrence OR Safety? I do not know. But will definitely find out for sure!!

Another thing I observed was: When I move the wipers back from the Service position, I could here a click sound under the bonnet. Like a solenoid operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I haven't seen this (not seen a polo close-to yet) but I suspect that there are two reasons for this feature:

1. Clean visual lines

2. Clean aerodynamic lines.
May Be. But I feel that it has to be more technical - For somebody to religiously follow the procedure and then to properly document it.

Pics showing the inclination in front of my house. This magnitude does not create any problem.
Attached Thumbnails
New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-front-bumper-1.jpg  

New Polo - Highline TDI - Test-Drive and Initial Ownership Report EDIT: Now sold!-front-gradiant.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks