Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 15:09   #436
BHPian

I'd like some general feedback on the music system of Polo. I'm booking a Vento soon and I hear that the music system is the same. Some questions in specific:

1) How is the overall sound quality?
2) Stock HU doesn't seem to have AUX/USB support. I'd like to know if anyone made attempts to add AUX and how difficult it is to do that.

Thanks
Old 27th July 2010, 19:17   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
I'd like some general feedback on the music system of Polo. I'm booking a Vento soon and I hear that the music system is the same. Some questions in specific:

2) Stock HU doesn't seem to have AUX/USB support. I'd like to know if anyone made attempts to add AUX and how difficult it is to do that.

Thanks
It may look the same but the internal guts are probably quite different. Even Skoda Superb looks the same. VW has about 7-8 diferent HUs in that family of double DINs all of which look similar.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:28   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
It may look the same but the internal guts are probably quite different. Even Skoda Superb looks the same. VW has about 7-8 diferent HUs in that family of double DINs all of which look similar.
OK, that's good to know. It still probably helps to know the quality (just to know what's the minimum to expect from Vento) and how easy/difficult to add AUX/USB support.

Thanks
Old 28th July 2010, 00:04   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by liner4u View Post
Chethan the music system does not display the name of the track or name of the folder right ? I think its quite a letdown. I also felt sound quality was average and nothing to write about. Your comments on these ??
It is basic. Sound quality is average.

Quote:

Thanks
Sound quality is average. Increase in bass has a booming effect. But the system does not have any noise - Either in AM/FM/CD. Unless you are particular about very good sound, you can manage with it. I do not have any problem, since I like music only in the background.

There is no provision for a AUX/USB behind the HU. But I am planning to try it out. I will post details if I succeed.

Vento has a different HU. It has a AUX/USB behind it. This has been wired and terminated inside the glove box. So - don't worry!
Old 28th July 2010, 00:20   #440
BHPian

Very nice post and very informative. You almost covered every aspect of your car and have mentioned it in one or other posts in this thread. Well, with respect to the FE figures, I do not see anything exceptional here as I guess the FE for your Polo ranges from 13 to 20 kmpl (from your posts). This is almost comparable to the Figo and the Punto. So what other than the build quality is exceptional in this car which we do not get in the Figo or the Punto which are comparitively less priced for more or less the same feature.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:20   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Vento has a different HU. It has a AUX/USB behind it. This has been wired and terminated inside the glove box. So - don't worry!
Dude, you just made my day Thanks a lot for the information. Where did you get this info?

Then I seriously hope the Vento sound quality is better than average of Polo. I like the Vento a lot so far, except for the fact that it doesn't have steering mounted audio controls and doesn't come in all-black interiors. I can compromise with a better-than-average music system considering that rest of the car is a gem.
Old 28th July 2010, 19:07   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Very nice post and very informative. You almost covered every aspect of your car and have mentioned it in one or other posts in this thread. Well, with respect to the FE figures, I do not see anything exceptional here as I guess the FE for your Polo ranges from 13 to 20 kmpl (from your posts). This is almost comparable to the Figo and the Punto. So what other than the build quality is exceptional in this car which we do not get in the Figo or the Punto which are comparitively less priced for more or less the same feature.
I have another question... What other than build quality do is exceptional in Punto or Figo that you dont get in Indica Vista which is compartively priced less with same engine and has more or less same features?

Getting the point? Logitech sells mouse from 150 Rs to 5000 Rs, each offer the same feature (that is scroll, tracking etc) but the underlying technology and accuracy, ergonomics are different therefore a cost impact. A Videocon LCD with same features cant be compared to a Sony.

Its not just Figo has a music system, Punto has a music system. You have Boss speakers an than you have Rockford, Polk, Bose. So it would be blatently irresponsible to planely state its got the same features so why expensive.

What about quality? Punto's plastic tell a horrific story, for a car that goes well upto 7 lakhs, I find them attrocious. If Fiat tries selling the Punto they sell in India in States, they would be facing law suites.

Figo is old wine in new bottle. A car thats been made by Ford on an ageing platform specially for India/developing countries. Its got parts borrowed from Ikon, Fiesta, Fusion... The dashboard is ancient....

I am not advocating Polo is great. The engines are hopeless to say the least. But at least the product is international and put together with quality and not in a haste. At the end, you get what you pay for.

I dont want to start a debate here about these cars as each has its merits and cons. However a statement that I highlighted was what got me ticking...
Old 28th July 2010, 19:47   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
So what other than the build quality is exceptional in this car which we do not get in the Figo or the Punto which are comparitively less priced for more or less the same feature.
Joe, It is indeed this build quality which makes Polo attract interest even though it might be priced above its competitors.

Polo in my view is perhaps India's first affordable German car (considering both initial cost and expected service costs - am not counting the Opels in here), can VW deliver good A.S.S for a volume seller is something still to be seen , but atleast they want to make sure that the initial quality is as per their quality standards and running up a huge backlog of orders !

My cousin is looking out for his first car - he TDed the Figo,Polo and the Swift. He does not know too much about the technical details so he asked me for advice (over the phone), I just asked him to TD all the cars without thinking about the specs and give me his feedback on what he felt.

The first point he told me was how the Polo felt so much more better put together as compared to the others even though you need to go to Highline to get a decent spec

Chetan, sorry about the long post. Excellent thread you have going here.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:52   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I am not advocating Polo is great. The engines are hopeless to say the least. But at least the product is international and put together with quality and not in a haste. At the end, you get what you pay for.
That is not at all true IMO. Have you actually driven the Polo? I agree it cannot be termed as an enthusiast's car, but it does the job pretty good. City driveability is better than Micra, Figo and Punto 1.2. In fact, I found it a bit better than the i20 1.2. However, refinement levels are not at par with others.
Old 28th July 2010, 22:11   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dude, you just made my day Thanks a lot for the information. Where did you get this info?

Then I seriously hope the Vento sound quality is better than average of Polo. I like the Vento a lot so far, except for the fact that it doesn't have steering mounted audio controls and doesn't come in all-black interiors. I can compromise with a better-than-average music system considering that rest of the car is a gem.
You are most welcome! Last months Overdrive.

Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
The engines are hopeless to say the least. But at least the product is international and put together with quality and not in a haste. At the end, you get what you pay for.
VW should have atleast given an option of the other engines. But these engines, when compared in the segment, are not far behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
Joe, It is indeed this build quality which makes Polo attract interest even though it might be priced above its competitors.

Polo in my view is perhaps India's first affordable German car (considering both initial cost and expected service costs - am not counting the Opels in here), can VW deliver good A.S.S for a volume seller is something still to be seen , but atleast they want to make sure that the initial quality is as per their quality standards and running up a huge backlog of orders !

My cousin is looking out for his first car - he TDed the Figo,Polo and the Swift. He does not know too much about the technical details so he asked me for advice (over the phone), I just asked him to TD all the cars without thinking about the specs and give me his feedback on what he felt.

The first point he told me was how the Polo felt so much more better put together as compared to the others even though you need to go to Highline to get a decent spec

Chetan, sorry about the long post. Excellent thread you have going here.
Thanks a lot! 100%
Old 29th July 2010, 00:09   #446
BHPian

^^^ @Chetan - you still here in Bangalore?
I thought that you had already left for your North Karnataka trip.
Old 29th July 2010, 08:16   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryasanyal View Post
^^^ @Chetan - you still here in Bangalore?
I thought that you had already left for your North Karnataka trip.
Do you think that I am still in Bangalore, just because I am posting on the Forum? I can do that from any where in the world - Right?

I filled up the tank day before yesterday. There is a button located at the entrance of the fuel inlet. This is to let the air-out of the tank. That is, after the tank fills, if we press this button - air locked inside the tank is released and we can fill in more fuel! This way, I could fill 47 liters - with more than 5 liters in the tank to begin with!

I have reached Bellary Via Chitradurga. Fuel indicator is still showing full tank! Next time I will fill up the same way and post the FE figures.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 29th July 2010 at 08:19.
Old 29th July 2010, 12:59   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Do you think that I am still in Bangalore, just because I am posting on the Forum? I can do that from any where in the world - Right?
I had guessed that.

Quote:
I filled up the tank day before yesterday. There is a button located at the entrance of the fuel inlet. This is to let the air-out of the tank. That is, after the tank fills, if we press this button - air locked inside the tank is released and we can fill in more fuel! This way, I could fill 47 liters - with more than 5 liters in the tank to begin with!

I have reached Bellary Via Chitradurga. Fuel indicator is still showing full tank! Next time I will fill up the same way and post the FE figures.
This is a cool feature, and should be helpful to fill the tank to the brim.

Keep on posting wherever you are, and put in your new Polo discoveries and wayside discoveries on the move. Looking forward to more from you.
Old 29th July 2010, 14:09   #449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
should be helpful to fill the tank to the brim.
Hmmm... there needs to be expansion space in a fuel tank.
Old 29th July 2010, 14:16   #450
BHPian

One obvious reason as to why the rear leg room of the Polo is not satisfactory compared to Figo or the Punto is that here in Germany, the concept of hatchbacks applies only to those people who are singles. Those with a family own a combi. I asked my colleague here who owns a Polo and he told me that it was more than 2 years since anyone had a chance to sit at the rear seat of his car. But this concept unfortunately applies only to the lifestyle of the western countries. Back home it is mostly obvious that a car is meant for a family. I guess VW got that wrong.

But should the rear leg room be increased, then what are the possible changes does the manufacturer has to consider? Does the entire platform be changed? Is such a change more expensive from the manufacturers perspective? Just eager to know!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks