Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 15:43   #496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I would recommend - Body Paint protection coating, Rear Parking Sensor, Mud flaps & Foot mats. Avoid sun films if possible.
Sorry Chethan, my question to you actually as "What to buy and what not to buy from VW Downtown at the time of delivery?"

How much did Body Paint Protection Coating cost and was it done at VW Downtown?

Also I heard there are some chrome strips to protect the doors? Any idea about those? I think it will be indispensable for me since my son usually opens the door without looking to see if there is a pole or anything outside.

How much time did it take to install the Rear Parking Sensor at VW Downtown? You may have already said this but am feeling a little lazy to go through all the posts again. I might defer this if it takes too long as it looks like I will be on edge that day.

Per your advice, I am going to defer the sun film.

Quote:
Will paying yearly tax - not be an expensive option?

It is high-time for the government to standardise road tax, across all states. That avoids unwanted & cheap thoughts.
There was some discussion in some other thread about the annual road tax. Apparently its for Central Government Employees with transferable jobs.

I too agree that for the last 2 years, the RTO has been lax and yes, the KA Road tax is way too high. But in the end we are paying the government and they do provide decent roads.

Also knowing how things get done here, some fine day the RTO may wake out of their slumber and start again. The same thing happened with Property Tax where until the new SAS scheme came the interest was only 5% p.a. and not many paid. Now that has been increased to 24% p.a. (2% each month) + penalty and many have started paying.

Anyway I am taking this OT, fact is you can save a lot of tax if you buy elsewhere especially up North in certain places where they have a flat road tax, some 5K odd regardless of whether its a Nano or a BMW.
Old 24th August 2010, 20:12   #497
Senior - BHPian

My answer in bold:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Sorry Chethan, my question to you actually as "What to buy and what not to buy from VW Downtown at the time of delivery?"

How much did Body Paint Protection Coating cost and was it done at VW Downtown?

Approximately Rs.4,000/- It was done outside.

Also I heard there are some chrome strips to protect the doors? Any idea about those? I think it will be indispensable for me since my son usually opens the door without looking to see if there is a pole or anything outside.

They are available at all automobile accessories shops. Never used it. It only protects the door edges. Helps when opening the door adjacent to a wall - like in car park & garage. I do not think it is available as a VW genuine accessory.

Children will learn only when they grow up. I for one, do not believe in taking too much care of any thing. It will take away the fun.

How much time did it take to install the Rear Parking Sensor at VW Downtown? You may have already said this but am feeling a little lazy to go through all the posts again. I might defer this if it takes too long as it looks like I will be on edge that day.

1 hr max. But you can get it done any time. IMHO it is worth it.

Per your advice, I am going to defer the sun film.

Other accessories can be had, based on need. You can take your time in evaluating the need and then decide.

There was some discussion in some other thread about the annual road tax. Apparently its for Central Government Employees with transferable jobs.

I too agree that for the last 2 years, the RTO has been lax and yes, the KA Road tax is way too high. But in the end we are paying the government and they do provide decent roads.

Also knowing how things get done here, some fine day the RTO may wake out of their slumber and start again. The same thing happened with Property Tax where until the new SAS scheme came the interest was only 5% p.a. and not many paid. Now that has been increased to 24% p.a. (2% each month) + penalty and many have started paying.

Anyway I am taking this OT, fact is you can save a lot of tax if you buy elsewhere especially up North in certain places where they have a flat road tax, some 5K odd regardless of whether its a Nano or a BMW.
Good information. Thanks!

Road Tax can be fixed based on the Invoice value, IMO.

We have booked Polo 1.6 for my friend a week back. Delivery will be by next month end (September end). Got the advantage of already being a Customer for VW! We carefully evaluated both Polo 1.6 & Jazz and finally decided on Polo 1.6 - More details later!

I will be waiting for your feed back on the Car.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 24th August 2010 at 20:21.
Old 24th August 2010, 21:29   #498
BHPian

Quote:
We have booked Polo 1.6 for my friend a week back. Delivery will be by next month end (September end). Got the advantage of already being a Customer for VW! We carefully evaluated both Polo 1.6 & Jazz and finally decided on Polo 1.6 - More details later!

I will be waiting for your feed back on the Car.
Oh, so both you and your closest friend (in the same building) settled down on the Polo after trying to get two completely different cars? I guess the Polo 1.2 Diesel and 1.6 Petrol will be completely different cars in a different sort of way.

I am not sure when exactly I will get delivery but it may be this weekend. I heard the car was invoiced by VW on Monday to the dealer. VW Downtown says it could be here on Wednesday or Thursday. I got the shock of my life on Monday morning when I heard from VW Corporate that the car may reach Bangalore the next day. Gives me barely any time to arrange the money.

Someone told me it will take a couple of days for registration. Is that true? Earlier VW Downtown had said something about paying 1 Lakh when the car reaches Bangalore from the VW factory which I didn't pay any attention to. Do I have to pay the 1 Lakh before registration and then pay the balance after registration when taking the car?

Knowing my wife I would be scared to drive her car (she says she is a better driver then me, and honestly she is especially in India), so not much hope there. But I can give you her feedback. Tell you what, if both of you don't mind coming down to Koramangala 4th Block, I could let you guys drive the car.
Old 24th August 2010, 22:58   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Oh, so both you and your closest friend (in the same building) settled down on the Polo after trying to get two completely different cars? I guess the Polo 1.2 Diesel and 1.6 Petrol will be completely different cars in a different sort of way.

I am not sure when exactly I will get delivery but it may be this weekend. I heard the car was invoiced by VW on Monday to the dealer. VW Downtown says it could be here on Wednesday or Thursday. I got the shock of my life on Monday morning when I heard from VW Corporate that the car may reach Bangalore the next day. Gives me barely any time to arrange the money.

Someone told me it will take a couple of days for registration. Is that true? Earlier VW Downtown had said something about paying 1 Lakh when the car reaches Bangalore from the VW factory which I didn't pay any attention to. Do I have to pay the 1 Lakh before registration and then pay the balance after registration when taking the car?

Knowing my wife I would be scared to drive her car (she says she is a better driver then me, and honestly she is especially in India), so not much hope there. But I can give you her feedback. Tell you what, if both of you don't mind coming down to Koramangala 4th Block, I could let you guys drive the car.
Even though we are close friends, we believe in being objective as far as possible - to help the other person take his decision. He was for a Petrol car. So, we narrowed down our selection process to Polo & Jazz (i20, Fabia, Figo & the Micra were the other cars we saw - Again, he was not for Punto because of the tie-up).

Yes. Polo Tdi & Polo 1.6 are 2 different cars. This is the main reason for not considering Polo 1.2 - Also, when Jazz is compared with Polo, it feels over priced. I will post the details later.

Generally, once the car is Invoiced, it takes about 3-4 days for the car to reach Bangalore from Pune. A couple of days more for the PDI & Registration. You have to pay 100% OTR before Registration.

Thanks a lot for the invitation. We can definitely meet on a Sunday. In fact, we will be happy to do so. Could be a casual meet, rather than for a test drive though!
Old 25th August 2010, 17:47   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Even though we are close friends, we believe in being objective as far as possible - to help the other person take his decision. He was for a Petrol car. So, we narrowed down our selection process to Polo & Jazz (i20, Fabia, Figo & the Micra were the other cars we saw - Again, he was not for Punto because of the tie-up).

Yes. Polo Tdi & Polo 1.6 are 2 different cars. This is the main reason for not considering Polo 1.2 - Also, when Jazz is compared with Polo, it feels over priced. I will post the details later.

Generally, once the car is Invoiced, it takes about 3-4 days for the car to reach Bangalore from Pune. A couple of days more for the PDI & Registration. You have to pay 100% OTR before Registration.

Thanks a lot for the invitation. We can definitely meet on a Sunday. In fact, we will be happy to do so. Could be a casual meet, rather than for a test drive though!
Lets meet up! I will PM you when I get the car.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:02   #501
BHPian

@ Chethan, I join the ranks in owning a black polo highline! Its no where as photogenic as the red in pictures. But it certainly looks majestic when seen on the road!

Am kicked with the MID fuel meter, and other knick knacks in the Highline. Lets see. Have started my ownership thread, will try to emulate your standards of postings!

Last edited by Driver2000 : 26th August 2010 at 16:07.
Old 27th August 2010, 08:29   #502
Senior - BHPian

AC in Polo: Why does it fog the wind-shield?

Wind shield and window glass fogging is a common and an irritating problem in Polo - as noticed by almost all Owners by now. What is it we are referring to? Why does this happen? How to avoid it? My thoughts on this subject:

What is it we are referring to?

Usually with the combination of high humidity (outside) & AC, Wind shield & the front window glasses fog from the outside of the Car. Back windows and the Rear glass, does not have this problem. Fog accumulates mainly near the AC vents. This is very irritating because we need to operate the wiper to get rid of the fog on the wind shield. On the window glass, it is all the more irritating since it obstructs the rear view, through the mirror. This has to be cleaned manually by opening the door!!

Why does this happen?

1. In cabin temperature is much lower then the outside temperature (or the glass is cooled directly by the cool air through the AC vents)

2. Direction of the AC vents (near the front windows) - is not set properly

3. Fixed AC vents below the front wind shield is too close to it.

How to avoid it?

1. In this case, by setting the cabin temperature comfortable to the passengers, we can avoid the problem to a certain extent. Mostly the thermostat will be set at the maximum, which is not required under all circumstances. I have seen that turning the thermostat knob CCW for about 45 degrees, will reduce the problem.

2. AC vents should not be directed towards the window, when the outside temperature is hotter then inside. (Eg: a glass of cold water, kept for some time, will have similar effect on the surface due to moisture condensation)

3. This is not under our control. AC vents very close to the wind-shield will help in cold/dry countries. In this case, fog will be on the inside & with hot air blowing close to the glass, defogging will be easy and faster. In our case - Reducing in cabin temperature and selecting a different AC vent position would help to a certain extent.

I request all to debate on this and share information

How does air circulation effect this cause? Air inlet is best kept at internal circulation OR outside air should be let in?
Old 27th August 2010, 10:07   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Wind shield and window glass fogging is a common and an irritating problem in Polo - as noticed by almost all Owners by now. What is it we are referring to? Why does this happen? How to avoid it? My thoughts on this subject:

What is it we are referring to?

Usually with the combination of high humidity (outside) & AC, Wind shield & the front window glasses fog from the outside of the Car. Back windows and the Rear glass, does not have this problem. Fog accumulates mainly near the AC vents. This is very irritating because we need to operate the wiper to get rid of the fog on the wind shield. On the window glass, it is all the more irritating since it obstructs the rear view, through the mirror. This has to be cleaned manually by opening the door!!

Why does this happen?

1. In cabin temperature is much lower then the outside temperature (or the glass is cooled directly by the cool air through the AC vents)

2. Direction of the AC vents (near the front windows) - is not set properly

3. Fixed AC vents below the front wind shield is too close to it.

How to avoid it?

1. In this case, by setting the cabin temperature comfortable to the passengers, we can avoid the problem to a certain extent. Mostly the thermostat will be set at the maximum, which is not required under all circumstances. I have seen that turning the thermostat knob CCW for about 45 degrees, will reduce the problem.

2. AC vents should not be directed towards the window, when the outside temperature is hotter then inside. (Eg: a glass of cold water, kept for some time, will have similar effect on the surface due to moisture condensation)

3. This is not under our control. AC vents very close to the wind-shield will help in cold/dry countries. In this case, fog will be on the inside & with hot air blowing close to the glass, defogging will be easy and faster. In our case - Reducing in cabin temperature and selecting a different AC vent position would help to a certain extent.

I request all to debate on this and share information

How does air circulation effect this cause? Air inlet is best kept at internal circulation OR outside air should be let in?
Used to happen all the time on my Merc. How about just setting the AC to the defogger setting?
Old 27th August 2010, 10:42   #504
BHPian

Heyy Chethan,,
Just got a Strange Experience with my Polo TDI.
As you all must be knowing ,the Streets of Delhi and NCR Region are all water-logged,due to rains,and more so due to our horrible Water Drainage System.
It Rained heavily the other day,and as it was very urgent,had to push my polo in almost knee level water.(Clear the Hurdle it did ! without any hiccups...So test cleared there..)
The same day,i also went upto Delhi and came back.So,the Car also had a good amount of run.
Since then my car has been parked at home for about 4-5 days.
But now when i tried to Change the gears and push it fwd/backward,it aint goin anywhere !!!
Only the Left Rear Tyre side gets lifted up,What could be the issue here,any idea ?? Did anybody face a similar problem ?
As seems like this problem has arised due to myself venturing into deep waters ( Not of the ocean but,of a city road )!!

Saw the Manual Page 26,(Driving in Water--Says ,water should be no higher than lower edge of the body.
If you drive through water,parts of vehicle such as engine,drive train,running gear and vehicle electrics could sustain sever damage.

How on earth do they expect the water level to be below the Lower edge of the body. Godd!!
Pls advise..

Brgds,
Sachin.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:26   #505
Senior - BHPian

Could be a case of brakes getting jammed after heavy rain or wash. this issue is widely reported on the forum
Old 27th August 2010, 12:20   #506
BHPian

Thanks Poloman...!
Any Quick Fixes that you can think of ? or calling up the Helpline is a must ?
Old 27th August 2010, 12:33   #507
Senior - BHPian

Not sure of the fix. Have a look at this thread, check whether this matches your probelm.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...oise-rear.html

Last edited by poloman : 27th August 2010 at 12:35.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:01   #508
Senior - BHPian

I believe your handbrake is stuck. But generally they become unstuck with little force. ie. if you try to drive off in first gear with the handbrake lever down. The rear drums will stick for a bit and then become unstuck, you should be able to hear the click when it gets unstuck.

But you could always call the dealership and let them handle it since it's a new car.

Drifter
Old 27th August 2010, 14:05   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinsumant View Post
Heyy Chethan,,
Just got a Strange Experience with my Polo TDI.
As you all must be knowing ,the Streets of Delhi and NCR Region are all water-logged,due to rains,and more so due to our horrible Water Drainage System.
It Rained heavily the other day,and as it was very urgent,had to push my polo in almost knee level water.(Clear the Hurdle it did ! without any hiccups...So test cleared there..)
The same day,i also went upto Delhi and came back.So,the Car also had a good amount of run.
Since then my car has been parked at home for about 4-5 days.
But now when i tried to Change the gears and push it fwd/backward,it aint goin anywhere !!!
Only the Left Rear Tyre side gets lifted up,What could be the issue here,any idea ?? Did anybody face a similar problem ?
As seems like this problem has arised due to myself venturing into deep waters ( Not of the ocean but,of a city road )!!
It sounds like the classic brake jamming problem (water in the brakes, car standing after that), and relevant thread has been dug out by Poloman. Best bet would be to call the helpline - I believe you are entitled 2 free calls every year anyways.

Do keep us posted please.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:48   #510
BHPian

Thanks "Driver2000","Drifter" & "Poloman" for your inputs.
My concern also is that,what could be the possible Parts which could get Changed here.
Think calling the Helpline to Schedule for tomorrow.

Rgds,
Sachin .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks