Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2011, 14:03   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140- Ownership Experience.*UPDATE* 15k Kms Service Report pg.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Anshuman, Congrats on completing 15K. You are right behind me in terms of kms clocking

I personally feel the synthetic oil should not be so expensive especially if I compare the cost of similar stuff for my Cruze. ASC's buy oil in bulk and they get them at really good price and some ASC's are fair to pass on those savings to their customers and some dont.

Cruze Synthetic Oil was charged at Rs.611/Litre though it consumes a bit more than the Laura. I think around 6 Litres. I checked the oil price before handing over the car to them on that day and was pleasantly surprised as other Cruze owners were charged marginally higher ( Rs.700-750 range)

Btw, My 15,000kms service costed me Rs.5800
Are you sure it was full synthetic oil not semi synthetic? Can i carry my own oil for service(Mobil 1 full synthetic)?

5800 bucks for Cruze is quite cheap considering my Punto costs 5k per service. Even my Elantra took close to 5 liters. The average service costs used to be close to 4.5-5k with Mineral oil with service interval of 10k kms.

For Laura out of 9200 bucks only the Engine Oil costs 5878 bucks(including 13.125% VAT). The filters(Fuel, Oil, AC, Air) cost 2485(including VAT) which i find cheap compared to Elantra and Punto. They charged 672 bucks for something that wasn't really required. Overall i find the costs pretty reasonable(maybe i feared worse ).
Old 16th August 2011, 16:38   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140- Ownership Experience.*UPDATE* 15k Kms Service Report pg.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Are you sure it was full synthetic oil not semi synthetic? Can i carry my own oil for service(Mobil 1 full synthetic)?
OEM oil is full synthetic. I notice that different Chevy ASC all over the country use different brands like Mobil, Shell etc.

I tried carrying my own oil but, ASC's dont allow that, unfortunately. And, for a reason...
Old 16th August 2011, 20:49   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Issues reported-
  1. HVAC Air leak towards the wind-shield leading to fogging up on humid days, an issue generic to all Lauras. Status: Fixed.
  2. I asked for Daytime Running Lights to be switched on. Status: Done with no extra charges.
Thanks for sharing the service experience. Happy to note that you have not faced any major issues with the car despite it not having got any service attention for such a long run. I find the service interval unusually long. Definitely welcome. Quite contrast to Honda who recommend a service interval of 3 months!

I find it absurd that a car manufacturer like Skoda is totally oblivious to customer feedback about a simple issue like the windscreen fogging up due to air leaking through the dash. Clearly there is fault which has a simple fix. Wonder why car companies don't have feedback forms which ask customers about their feedback on the product after two months of use. I find authorised service centres making a call after couple of days of servicing to find out whether the car is performing OK after service and whether all issues reported were solved satisfactorily. Why don't car companies reach out to their customers after the sale to find out if they are satisfied or not?

The issue of windscreen fogging up has plagued the facelifted Laura ever since its launch and it still continues to occur in the latest prodn models. One would expect them to atleast get feedback from their service partners about stuff like, top five bugs reported etc... and resolve the issues once and for all.

Does your car autolock after the car attains a certain speed? I wonder if that can be activated as well. I find it disconcerting that the boot is accessable from outside if not locked. I have the practice of keeping my office bag, laptop etc... in the boot and if I forget to lock, somebody can actually open the boot when I am waiting at a signal and take off with my stuff!
Old 17th August 2011, 09:38   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The issue of windscreen fogging up has plagued the facelifted Laura ever since its launch and it still continues to occur in the latest prodn models. One would expect them to atleast get feedback from their service partners about stuff like, top five bugs reported etc... and resolve the issues once and for all.
Just to get it clarified, what do you guys mean by windscreen fogging up.
- Does it happen always when the outside temperature is slightly warmer?
- Does this happen right at the centre and outside the glass?
- I get this sometime in my Jetta specially on rainy days. Heated air takes care of this film of condensation.

Just wondering if there is something common which may require special mention at the next service.
Old 17th August 2011, 11:32   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Just to get it clarified, what do you guys mean by windscreen fogging up.
- Does it happen always when the outside temperature is slightly warmer?
- Does this happen right at the centre and outside the glass?
- I get this sometime in my Jetta specially on rainy days. Heated air takes care of this film of condensation.

Just wondering if there is something common which may require special mention at the next service.
When the AC is on and the air flow is directed at the passengers , there is a small amount of cool air which leaks from the top of the dashboard and directly reaches the front windscreen. At times when the outside humidity is high, esp during early mornings or nights, this cool air causes some condensation on the outside part of the windscreen near the centre. Bumping the temp up usually solves the problem, but then it causes discomfort to the occupants inside as they want the cool air. Apparently the service centre guys open the dash and close the gap which is the culprit. The problem is so common that they know exactly what to do. Wonder why the problem has not reached the production dept's ears?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 17th August 2011 at 11:33.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:13   #261
Senior - BHPian

Anshuman, congrats on the 15k mark.

Regarding the issues on your Laura, what did they do to get them fixed. You've clarified already that these issues are with all Laura's, hence needless to say that my car faces the exact same issues .

Windscreen fogging: What did they do, to get rid of that problem?
Rear parcel/stop light rattle: Was some damping/tightning done to get rid of that?

You could have activated more features, since it was done free of cost.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:34   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Anshuman, congrats on the 15k mark.
Thanks

Quote:
Regarding the issues on your Laura, what did they do to get them fixed. You've clarified already that these issues are with all Laura's, hence needless to say that my car faces the exact same issues .

Windscreen fogging: What did they do, to get rid of that problem?
Rear parcel/stop light rattle: Was some damping/tightning done to get rid of that?
They have fixed the fogging issue but the rear rattle still exists. I did not ask them how they fixed the fogging, considering SA's reply 'Ho Jaayega Saar' i guess they did not have to remove the whole dashboard for this(Just a guess).

The SA said they have tried fixing the rear rattle, if it still exists they'd try some thing else. Let me try to locate the rattle this week, i am sure it's not the parcel tray. Anyways it's a distant muted rattle, it is not much of a big issue.

Quote:
You could have activated more features, since it was done free of cost.
Maybe next time.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 15:48   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there is a small amount of cool air which leaks from the top of the dashboard and directly reaches the front windscreen. At times when the outside humidity is high, esp during early mornings or nights, this cool air causes some condensation on the outside part of the windscreen near the centre
I have the same problem in my Jetta specially the exact way you mentioned. I am sure there is some leak of cold air that condenses outside.

Will check with the SA when i take it or a service. Its quite sometime from now since i will go for a service though
Old 17th August 2011, 16:45   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The SA said they have tried fixing the rear rattle, if it still exists they'd try some thing else. Let me try to locate the rattle this week, i am sure it's not the parcel tray. Anyways it's a distant muted rattle, it is not much of a big issue.
The service guys fixed all the rear rattle in my Tsi - they had to open the entire door trim and use 3M tapes. It was quite a job and I really appreciate what they did.

The Laura build quality is appaling - nowhere compared to the Octavia. It's a different matter that I forgive them whenever I take the steering wheel and step on the accelerator.

The engine oil prices charged by Skoda (in fact, entire VW group) is daylight robbery. It's a nexus with Shell, et al.

BTW, looks like something has gone wrong between VW and Mobil in last couple of years. Mobil 1 has been refussed VW certification. I have been seeing Mobil 1 packs with only API and other standards body ratings - no VW ratings. As a result, Mobil 1 5W40 is available for @Rs700/L, while Shell is having a ball at @Rs. 1100/L. Not sure, whose greed it was (Mobil or VW) that brought an end to Mobil's joy ride, but customers continue to suffer.
Old 17th August 2011, 16:55   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I find it absurd that a car manufacturer like Skoda is totally oblivious to customer feedback about a simple issue like the windscreen fogging up due to air leaking through the dash. Clearly there is fault which has a simple fix. Wonder why car companies don't have feedback forms which ask customers about their feedback on the product after two months of use.
Santosh, this feedback form ( a comprehensive 9-point multiple choice questionnaire covering everything from engine to interior quality) exists for Volkswagen customers. I got one for my Vento after about 6 months of ownership and so did one other member on the forums. You should definitely check with Skoda why they don't have a similar feedback mechanism for the Laura.

One of these days, will scan and upload that on my ownership thread- it's quite a good attempt to engage with the customer in my opinion.
Old 18th August 2011, 11:00   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Santosh, this feedback form ( a comprehensive 9-point multiple choice questionnaire covering everything from engine to interior quality) exists for Volkswagen customers. I got one for my Vento after about 6 months of ownership and so did one other member on the forums. You should definitely check with Skoda why they don't have a similar feedback mechanism for the Laura.

One of these days, will scan and upload that on my ownership thread- it's quite a good attempt to engage with the customer in my opinion.

Feedback forms!
Hmmm...as you said, it keeps the customer engaged... .

You know what, the central part of the Laura windscreen fogs during regular showers and everyone in Skoda KNOWS it.

Dealers have complained, customers have complained. It's the TSi motor that helps you let go.
Old 18th August 2011, 12:21   #267
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for completing 15k kms anshuman. Just went through complete ownership review. Nicely compiled and that intial report is commendable.

Quote:
HVAC Air leak towards the wind-shield leading to fogging up on humid days, an issue generic to all Lauras. Status: Fixed.
Do you mind asking the Service Advisor next time, how they managed to fix this windscreen fogging issue. Many polo (vento too) owners including me are looking for a solution for windsreen fogging.

Quote:
Does the Castrol SLX Professional cost this much? This looks to be on higher side to me. Since the Engine Oil costs more than half of the total service cost, i find the other consumables(especially Filters) to be fairly priced.
I think they must have charged you MRP. At last service I got 5L Motul synthetic oil from Mitsubishi ASC for my cedia for Rs5300. Thats good 1050/litre. Although mitsubishi advise use of synthetic for 20k kms, my heavy foot deteriorated the condition of oil sooner than it wa supposed to (atleast thats what the technitian said and my friendly mechanic was in consensus). So I got the oil changed at 10k kms. Now, buying oil for Rs. 5k every 10k kms will be too expensive for me and hence I got 4L Castrol edge from outsde for Rs.2900 (MRP. 4200) and asked not to use ASCs synthetic as theirs was almost 2 years old (said I dont want old oil).

For the polo, the ASC changed me about 3k for 3L synthetic and rest were filters. I am amazed that the filter prices of laura are similar to that of polo..

Quote:
Lubrication of suspension parts?? Is it really required at first service?
Dont know.. but ASC did apply it to my polo in feb when the car went in for its first 15k service. Since, the cost was not too much I didnt get into detail. But then someone asked here on team bhp and I am still not sure.. why did they charge it under labour..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I personally feel the synthetic oil should not be so expensive especially if I compare the cost of similar stuff for my Cruze. ASC's buy oil in bulk and they get them at really good price and some ASC's are fair to pass on those savings to their customers and some dont.

Cruze Synthetic Oil was charged at Rs.611/Litre though it consumes a bit more than the Laura. I think around 6 Litres.
Quote:
It must be synthetic. I agree with you Mobike that ASCs buy oil in bulk and they should sell it at a reasonable profit but unfortunately most ASCs sell synthetic at MRPs. In fact the Ide-Mitsui synthetic oil that honda uses costs about 650/L. The civic at home was charged some 2500 for 3.7L. The car has done 13k on it and its still in good nic..

@.anshuman, I dont think ASC will allow you carring your own synthetic oil, especially when they themselves use synthetic in all cars. Had it been M/S, Honda, toyota or others, who use mineral oil as defaut, they would have agreed to your request (that too depends on dealer) but I dont think VW/skoda will allow the same.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 18th August 2011 at 12:26.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2011, 12:29   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Feedback forms!
After experiencing Fiat's feedback calls, i'd rather avoid any kind of feedback calls from manufacturers. What use are the feedback forms if they go into trashcans? They just make the car owners feel better(Atleast in case of Fiat).
Old 18th August 2011, 12:43   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Feedback forms!

You know what, the central part of the Laura windscreen fogs during regular showers and everyone in Skoda KNOWS it.

Dealers have complained, customers have complained. It's the TSi motor that helps you let go.

I had received one from Europa, a few months after ownership. I did speak to the dealer about the windscreen fogging problem, and like you mentioned, they are aware of the same. He even stated that they (dealers) have complained to Skoda on that, and are awaiting some action.

P.S: Anand sir, where do you get your car serviced? We should meet sometime soon, considering we live in the same city .

Anshuman, could you please check with the SA on the procedure on getting rid of the problem? Thats, when you visit the ASC the next time. Should be helpful for all of us.
Old 18th August 2011, 13:01   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I had received one from Europa, a few months after ownership. I did speak to the dealer about the windscreen fogging problem, and like you mentioned, they are aware of the same. He even stated that they (dealers) have complained to Skoda on that, and are awaiting some action.

P.S: Anand sir, where do you get your car serviced? We should meet sometime soon, considering we live in the same city .

Anshuman, could you please check with the SA on the procedure on getting rid of the problem? Thats, when you visit the ASC the next time. Should be helpful for all of us.
Yes, we should meet.
I will PM you my number.
In fact we can try to go to the service center together - see if they sober down on seeing 2 team-bhpeans (may be 1 is not enough for skoda to budge)
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks