Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2011, 14:11   #106
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Hey guys

I have decided to buy a used Skoda Laura as it is the only diesel in my budget (8-9 lakhs). I was more interested in Chevrolet Cruze but not getting any in my budget. Can anyone help me with how and what to check before buying a used Skoda Laura? Is there a AT model without DSG gearbox also?
Old 13th January 2011, 14:48   #107
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Ricky there is no AT model without DSG.

Anshuman - I guess the need for front curtains forced you, but I did not like them. I have bought similar curtains for the rear seat from mothercare, but have only done a temporary fix for them.

The Original ones would be the ones to get someday.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:13   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Ricky there is no AT model without DSG.

Anshuman - I guess the need for front curtains forced you, but I did not like them. I have bought similar curtains for the rear seat from mothercare, but have only done a temporary fix for them.

The Original ones would be the ones to get someday.
Can you tell me if i should check anything specifically in Skoda Laura L&K? How to check the AC problem?
Old 13th January 2011, 16:23   #109
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Just Check the AC for Cooling at about 20 degrees setting in Auto mode. It should cool the car and not require to be set right at the lowest 16 degrees or Lo setting.

Also the blower should through enough air when set at 3/4th.

One really cannot check much for the AC and it is your best bet that the previous owner has the AC replaced under warranty.

Also check for the Turbo + Intercooler (1.2L in authorized and about 70k outside) and the Flywheel (replacement within 30-50k kms) cost about 43K with authorized centre.

Also do run the car in sport mode (S) and do a few kick downs and also reverse the car to see that the AT gears slot in prefectly.

Among all the parts the AT unit (mecatronic unit) is the most delicate and most expensive to repair (1.5L) the rest of the stuff can be done outside for about half the authorized centre cost.

If parts are replaced under warranty it might even be good for you as the owner would be careful with that part post replacement and you would get a newer part.

Mechanical parts have a life and will ask for replacement after a certain kms usage. We need to know what the life is for each component for specific cars.

Do also check that the AC fan motor / belt is running by getting the car upto temperature and keeing the AC on full cool for some time with doors open.
Old 13th January 2011, 16:27   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ The car already has 35% tints. I have just used the tapes to stick the curtains, the fit is not that bad as it looks in the pics. Obviously not OE Skoda quality but since Skoda did not have curtains for front windows i had to buy these.
Well, this is pretty much the best it could have gotten aftermarket unless there is a reputed brand for these things which custom fits them onto the car. Having said that, how are these stuck to the window that they come down when the window goes down? Can you post a few pics please?

Also, have you faced any GC issues so far?
Old 13th January 2011, 17:08   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
Hey guys

I have decided to buy a used Skoda Laura as it is the only diesel in my budget (8-9 lakhs). I was more interested in Chevrolet Cruze but not getting any in my budget. Can anyone help me with how and what to check before buying a used Skoda Laura? Is there a AT model without DSG gearbox also?
I suggest you to get the car thoroughly checked at a competent garage before you buy the car. Some of the first gen Lauras had issues like AC problems which are really expensive to fix.

If i were into a similar situation i would pick Civic/Accord with low mileage on the odo. Most Diesels have logged on serious miles before they go out on sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, this is pretty much the best it could have gotten aftermarket unless there is a reputed brand for these things which custom fits them onto the car. Having said that, how are these stuck to the window that they come down when the window goes down? Can you post a few pics please?

Also, have you faced any GC issues so far?
The Curtains can be removed entirely within a minute if required. The GC is very good. I live in a city with no roads, here the potholes are real deep, the car did not scrape anywhere even once(My Punto keeps rubbing the nose frequently, Elantra despite better GC on paper had both the front tow hooks bent).

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th January 2011 at 17:21.
Old 15th January 2011, 00:40   #112
BHPian

Well I drove my cousin's diesel AT (DSG) Laura for the first time today, likewise it blew me completely and for all the right reasons. As I drive the Punto day in day out and had driven it before and after driving the Laura, two observations that stood out for me were the ones about the suspension/ride quality and the seating comfort.

While any comparison across segments is blasphemous and usually unfair, I couldn't resist this one. I found the ride comfort from both driver and co-driver positions to be nearly the same in both the cars. Me and my cousin took turns in the two cars to experience any perceptible difference at varying speeds over the same dirty stretch.

To my utter surprise, I found the seats in Laura to be a bit small for my 5'11 slightly stockily built frame. I find the seats in the Punto to be much larger, wider and hence comfy-ier compared to the Laura, the one good thing about the Laura driver's seat was the comfort factor from the plush snugg fit feel, which is absent in the Punto. In this very respect the Hyundai Santa-Fe too disappoints (had checked it out at one of the malls in gurgaon) and my first impression was, whoa..why are the seats so small?
I find this to be a strange aberration in some of the bigger and price-ier cars.

For a while, I thought my love for Punto has taken over all objectivity, but my cousin too echo-ed the observations. Considering you own both the cars and drive them as much as anybody else and maybe more, was wondering whats your take on it ?

Last edited by better4worse : 15th January 2011 at 00:44. Reason: typo correction
Old 15th January 2011, 11:38   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I own both these cars so i know the exact differences.

1. Punto's seats might be larger but they are not even close in comfort. Punto is let down by poor ergonomics, after driving it for more than a year and half i am yet to find the perfect driving position. The position of pedals is uncomfortable and steering is set too high.

2 . Punto has a brilliant ride for a car of that price but Laura has better ride, it soaks up bad roads better and has less vertical movement at any speed.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th January 2011 at 20:29.
Old 15th January 2011, 20:34   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

More pics added to Post#3 on Page#1 of this thread.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th January 2011 at 18:25.
Old 15th January 2011, 22:31   #115
Team-BHP Support

You have logged in quite a lot of miles.

The pictures have come real good. The last pic has come up grainy, but the others make up for it.

Edit: At what time did you shoot the photos?

Last edited by Sheel : 15th January 2011 at 22:38.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:57   #116
Senior - BHPian

Oh! How did I miss this thread! Congratulations and the Laura has always been one of my most appreciated cars, despite the obvious Skoda stories.

As some have pointed out, you own two vehicles with questionable after-sales support, but they are the most matured cars (in terms of driver involvement) at their respective price points.

I have always loved the DSG for its ability to shift almost intuitively, when I tried a client Laura PD DSG (110 BHP older version). The fact that the FE is almost at par with the Punto is an added advantage.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:06   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
You have logged in quite a lot of miles.

The pictures have come real good. The last pic has come up grainy, but the others make up for it.

Edit: At what time did you shoot the photos?
I feel i am spending little time with my car and you say i have driven a lot. Actually some highways runs in the initial days have pumped up the odo figure to 3k+

I took the pics after sunset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Oh! How did I miss this thread! Congratulations and the Laura has always been one of my most appreciated cars, despite the obvious Skoda stories.

I have always loved the DSG for its ability to shift almost intuitively, when I tried a client Laura PD DSG (110 BHP older version). The fact that the FE is almost at par with the Punto is an added advantage.
Thanks Architect. Well both Punto and Laura had the exact qualities i was looking for. I can live with bad support but not with a bad car.

The DSG 'box surely is very intuitive, i've mentioned it earlier too in this thread.

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th January 2011 at 16:07.
Old 17th January 2011, 21:59   #118
BHPian

Quote:
^^ I own both these cars so i know the exact differences.

1. Punto's seats might be larger but they are not even close in comfort. Punto is let down by poor ergonomics, after driving it for more than a year and half i am yet to find the perfect driving position. The position of pedals is uncomfortable and steering is set too high.
Frankly, car seating being comfortable because it offers generous seating area and seating being comfortable because its plush in nature are different concepts, Laura for sure has the latter but then again whats the point if the posterior doesn't enjoy as much due to limited area in the first place, considering its pre-requisite to any kind seating comfort.

Funny thing, different driver different take, I frankly bought the punto for the fact that it feels great to be seated in that one position, with the steering lowered to its lowest position, near effortless. I am about to complete a year myself and have done a couple of decently long drives in the meantime. I guess its a person to person thing, but yes there are other ergonomic deficiencies for sure (long pedal travel et all)

Quote:
2 . Punto has a brilliant ride for a car of that price but Laura has better ride, it soaks up bad roads better and has less vertical movement at any speed.
Considering you drive it day in day out, I'll take your word for it !

Last edited by better4worse : 17th January 2011 at 22:08.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:08   #119
BANNED

Anshuman, the more I see it, the more I m in love with your car. So much that I m contemplating buying one myself. Do you think it can do a Leh and back, for example or a trip to Nathu La on its own if it has a good driver at the wheel?
Old 18th January 2011, 12:23   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ BHPians from Hyderabad have done a trip to Tawang(Arunachal pradesh) in a Laura. I have been to both Tawang and Ladakh, if Laura can do a trip to Tawang, it can do Ladakh too. But a SUV will be more suited for the Ladakh trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks