Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 13:17   #76
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Congratulations Anshuman. Great to read your report and update till now. Laura is a good car and great choice. I was tempted to go in for Cruz and test drove it, but because of FE and DSG, found it better.
The multiple techno features it offers is something not found in its competitions. Only grudge I have is the tyres that I got with it. Continental- contact sport 2, already seem to be worn off with odo at 28000kms. My car is now approx. 2 years old ( Jan 2009) and no technical problems faced till now.

ACMs experience of blown turbo and AT gear changer is alarming. Wondering whether I should be wary of taking it for long drives. Been to it on 2 long trips, Mumbai -Chennai and Mumbai _ Dasuya ( Punjab), no problem faced, so hope it gives a trouble free ownership experience with periodic servicing.

Two things that I like about it most- its music system and long service interval at 15000 kms or 1 year. Its such a peace of mind factor.

I had tuned my car and fitted dynamic air box ( green cotton) with custom exhaust as initially I was feeling it was way underpowered (1.9 - 105ps pd engine) as compared to even a Verna CRDi that I was driving. But after the mods , it has been much better. FE , I get is similar to what you have mentioned but its so difficult to drive it at a constant 100kmph or lower . I hope you understand what I mean.
Wish you miles and miles of joyful drives and happy ownership experience. Would be good to see some positive skoda experience stories on the forum.

Next buy - a Yeti, or X1 or may be Superb with CR 140!

Last edited by shatrughna : 28th December 2010 at 13:26.
Old 28th December 2010, 13:38   #77
BHPian

Congrats Anshuman ! I love the beast. It was a hard decision for me too. I picked Elegance for my Dad. The first impression of this car is great. I have driven cruze and VW jetta as well. But, this one turned my head on. The car is getting delivered this Thursday. I am eagerly waiting to keep hands on.
Old 28th December 2010, 14:10   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Congratulations Anshuman. Great to read your report and update till now. Laura is a good car and great choice. I was tempted to go in for Cruz and test drove it, but because of FE and DSG, found it better.
The multiple techno features it offers is something not found in its competitions. Only grudge I have is the tyres that I got with it. Continental- contact sport 2, already seem to be worn off with odo at 28000kms. My car is now approx. 2 years old ( Jan 2009) and no technical problems faced till now.

ACMs experience of blown turbo and AT gear changer is alarming. Wondering whether I should be wary of taking it for long drives. Been to it on 2 long trips, Mumbai -Chennai and Mumbai _ Dasuya ( Punjab), no problem faced, so hope it gives a trouble free ownership experience with periodic servicing.

Two things that I like about it most- its music system and long service interval at 15000 kms or 1 year. Its such a peace of mind factor.

I had tuned my car and fitted dynamic air box ( green cotton) with custom exhaust as initially I was feeling it was way underpowered (1.9 - 105ps pd engine) as compared to even a Verna CRDi that I was driving. But after the mods , it has been much better. FE , I get is similar to what you have mentioned but its so difficult to drive it at a constant 100kmph or lower . I hope you understand what I mean.
Wish you miles and miles of joyful drives and happy ownership experience. Would be good to see some positive skoda experience stories on the forum.

Next buy - a Yeti, or X1 or may be Superb with CR 140!

Hi Shatrughna, Even i considered the Cruze. If Laura would not have been in the market, i would have picked the Cruze AT.

You were lucky you got Continental tires, my car has Goodyear NCT5. I did not get the tires changed because it is difficult to get a good exchange price for these tires, i have decided to move them to my Punto which might need new rubber soon and get either Michelins or Yokohamas for the Laura.

Well a well maintained and driven car will serve for a long long time. When i got my Elantra's health checked at 130k Kms it was in top shape, similarly my Indica V2 even at 150k Kms was running stock clutch and other mechanicals, apart from some minor niggles the mechanicals never required attention. For first gen Laura a lot of issues have been reported, but also it was voted most reliable car in UK. This new Engine and transmission is shared amongst a lot of VW group cars, Even the new Audi A6 will have a higher tuned version of this engine, so long term reliability might not prove to be a concern.

Unless you plan to use the extra offroad ability of the Yeti, the Yeti might actually not feel like an upgrade after owning a Laura because it's a size smaller and does not have as well cushioned ride. A 320d is the perfect upgrade from the Laura. The Superb surely is excellent car but for self driven purpose the Laura works out to be better.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th December 2010 at 14:13.
Old 28th December 2010, 14:16   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
It surely is priced at a premium compared to the rivals but it is worth every penny they ask for.
I don't see any premium pricing if I only ignore the reliability factor (Skoda perceptions in general).
Civic V AT (offers only leather more) is a lak cheaper. Laura is a diesel and that too a powerful one. To command a lak premium over petrol is very much acceptable.
Altis AT is about 80k cheaper. Again its a petrol with 4 speed box though it may have some feel good factors like Leather and Climate control.
Cruze AT is about a lak cheaper and comes with Suroof and other loadings. Still the space at back is somewhat a sore factor in addition to the turbo lag. Plus the interiors don't feel premium enough for a 15 lak car. Though overall this is a VFM car.

I will not compare the Altis diesel as a car in this segment surely deserves a better heart.

Last edited by dipen : 28th December 2010 at 14:18.
Old 28th December 2010, 14:26   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
Congrats Anshuman ! I love the beast. It was a hard decision for me too. I picked Elegance for my Dad. The first impression of this car is great. I have driven cruze and VW jetta as well. But, this one turned my head on. The car is getting delivered this Thursday. I am eagerly waiting to keep hands on.
Congratulations, Is it the DSG variant? Which Color? Waiting for your ownership thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
I don't see any premium pricing if I only ignore the reliability factor (Skoda perceptions in general).
Civic V AT (offers only leather more) is a lak cheaper. Laura is a diesel and that too a powerful one. To command a lak premium over petrol is very much acceptable.
Altis AT is about 80k cheaper. Again its a petrol with 4 speed box though it may have some feel good factors like Leather and Climate control.
Cruze AT is about a lak cheaper and comes with Suroof and other loadings. Still does the space in it is a sore factor in addition to the turbo lag.

I will not compare the Altis diesel as a car in this segment surely deserves a better heart.
Sadly the Civic is overpriced too. I feel the Cruze has the most attractive pricing in segment, but the owners may not benefit in long term considering the Chevy's marketing practice of lowering the price over the years. I would not be surprised if i see the base Cruze selling for the price of the Vento after some time.

Last edited by .anshuman : 28th December 2010 at 14:45.
Old 28th December 2010, 14:33   #81
Team-BHP Support

The Cruze AT is cheaper than the Laura Ambiente DSG?
Old 28th December 2010, 14:44   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The Cruze AT is cheaper than the Laura Ambiente DSG?
Yes, the Cruze AT is cheaper than Laura DSG Ambiente.
Old 28th December 2010, 17:02   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the Cruze AT is cheaper than Laura DSG Ambiente.
But not by too much...in Pune the Cruze LTZ AT is 16,72,554/- and the Laura Ambiente DSG is 17,18,623/- Plus the Skoda guy offered me 50K discount on the spot and would probably sweeten the deal a bit more too.

I so love this car, but the Vento AT that I'm waiting for is a much better bang for the buck from where I stand (though it is a petrol).
Old 29th December 2010, 10:54   #84
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2500kms. Update

Quote:
Since the purchase the Laura has been on the road all the time. The car has already crossed 2500kms now. I do take running in a bit too seriously for my cars, so i did not push the car at all till 2000kms. Thanks to the running in period the FE has been amazing till now, it has been hovering around 17-20kpl for mixed use.
Two very contrasting posts and it has gotten me confused as what to do to run-in a diesel engine.

I tried searching for it over the forums but not much came up. (Would be getting the Figo D on 1st Jan and it will be my first diesel Car, so...)

Quote:
I have not felt much change over the kms. The Engine must have become smoother at top end after running in but i don't know since i did revv the engine during run-in.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th December 2010 at 10:56.
Old 29th December 2010, 11:16   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2500kms. Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Two very contrasting posts and it has gotten me confused as what to do to run-in a diesel engine.

I tried searching for it over the forums but not much came up. (Would be getting the Figo D on 1st Jan and it will be my first diesel Car, so...)
I do not find anything contrasting in the above statements, in first i said i don't push my engine before run in over and the other i said since did not push the engine i do not know if there is a difference in the top end.

The best way to run in an engine is to take it easy, for a diesel restrict it to 3/4th of the revv range(If possible 2.5k rpm), avoid sudden acceleration or braking, Upshift early but do not lug the engine, do not drive continously at the same engine speed(Keep varying it), Just take it easy.
Old 29th December 2010, 13:03   #86
BHPian

Congrats Anshuman. I went through a nearly identical decision process as yours and ended at the same end result. I have been following your thread with much anticipatory pleasure.

I'm hoping to do a PDI on a White Laura DSG Ambiente today/tomorrow and pick it up sometime early next week. I'm planning to upgrade the tyres to CPC2 (205x65x15) immediately - I have a quote for roughly Rs. 2K/tyre after I exchange the stock Goodyears.
Old 29th December 2010, 16:47   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Congrats Anshuman. I went through a nearly identical decision process as yours and ended at the same end result. I have been following your thread with much anticipatory pleasure.

I'm hoping to do a PDI on a White Laura DSG Ambiente today/tomorrow and pick it up sometime early next week. I'm planning to upgrade the tyres to CPC2 (205x65x15) immediately - I have a quote for roughly Rs. 2K/tyre after I exchange the stock Goodyears.
Thanks and Congrats for your Laura. 2000 Rupees a tire is very good upgrade price, go for it. I am waiting for my Punto's tires to hit the TWI so that i can move the Goodyears to Punto and get some good Yokos or Michelins.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th December 2010 at 16:54.
Old 29th December 2010, 17:37   #88
BHPian

Congrats Anshuman. My father owns a PD Laura a excellent car indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
^^ CPC2 offer no more grip than the stock Goodyear, please consider other options like Yokohama or Michelin. I had replaced the civic Goodyear with stock size CPC2 ofter 51k kms, i do not feel any improvement in the grip levels as compared to 50k old worn out tires but they offer a expectionally quiet ride as compared to Goodyear. Please check out the tyre section for more info. tyre upgrade
Old 30th December 2010, 10:42   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks and Congrats for your Laura. 2000 Rupees a tire is very good upgrade price, go for it. I am waiting for my Punto's tires to hit the TWI so that i can move the Goodyears to Punto and get some good Yokos or Michelins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemen View Post
CPC2 offer no more grip than the stock Goodyear, please consider other options like Yokohama or Michelin. I had replaced the civic Goodyear with stock size CPC2 ofter 51k kms, i do not feel any improvement in the grip levels as compared to 50k old worn out tires but they offer a expectionally quiet ride as compared to Goodyear. Please check out the tyre section for more info. tyre upgrade
Thanks for the notes guys. I went through the tyre section and could not arrive at a conclusive answer. CPC2 seemed to be the best compromise for comfort, handling and stiff sidewall to handle Indian roads. I will do some more research before I pull the trigger.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:22   #90
BHPian

I upgraded from standard 15 inch Goodyears to 205/55 R16 Michelin Primacy LC and have been completely happy with it. Comfort hasn't changed much, noise completely reduced but haven't yet pushed the car much to limits since its new, so can't comment on grip. Compared to CPC2s, Michelin have a more consistent satisfaction reports too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks