Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2011, 17:39   #196
Team-BHP Support

re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Till then let's keep the negative feelings off this thread.
That is the exact point Anshuman. I always wanted to consider this one to buy. But there is always that hesitation was always at the back of the head. I think if the car can hold for about 7 years, I thinks it has served its purpose.
(Not to mention the pure driving pleasure.)

- Is there a DSG option with Ambient ?
- How would you rate the Diesel versus TSI? Did you try both or it was always diesel?
- I think we need a official SKoda review thread.

Last edited by ampere : 17th April 2011 at 17:40.
Old 17th April 2011, 18:00   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- Is there a DSG option with Ambient ?
- How would you rate the Diesel versus TSI? Did you try both or it was always diesel?
- I think we need a official SKoda review thread.
My car is a Ambiente Automatic.

TSi vs TDi, TSi is more refined has more revs but TDi has more torque lowdown, TSi is better performer and more fun to drive, TDi is quite close. I picked TDi as my usage is on higher side, i prefer more torque all across than peak power and i still get 20kpl with the cheaper fuel while having all the fun. The TSi does not come with DSG option. The TDi is very refined and quiet for a Diesel, in fact it's quieter than BMW X1.

The car has been around for long, isn't it too late to include a official review. I'd leave this for fellow Mods to decide.

Last edited by .anshuman : 17th April 2011 at 18:02.
Old 17th April 2011, 19:38   #198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My car is a Ambiente Automatic.

TSi vs TDi, TSi is more refined has more revs but TDi has more torque lowdown, TSi is better performer and more fun to drive, TDi is quite close. I picked TDi as my usage is on higher side, i prefer more torque all across than peak power and i still get 20kpl with the cheaper fuel while having all the fun. The TSi does not come with DSG option. The TDi is very refined and quiet for a Diesel, in fact it's quieter than BMW X1.

The car has been around for long, isn't it too late to include a official review. I'd leave this for fellow Mods to decide.
Thanks. You answered those questions for me. The reason I said it would be good for the review, is because, even today, I think it is a tricky option for folks to decide across the Skoda spectrum and then weigh it against Cruze. Folks may have diesel in mind, totally obliviously of the TSI magic. Compound it with the ownership fear/apprehension.

For every story gone sour, which is made famous, there may be 10 stories, successfully going on silently as well. In all fairness, we need to bring that aspect out as well.

EDIT: Wow! 20Kpl with DSG AT! That is great!

Last edited by ampere : 17th April 2011 at 19:39.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:35   #199
BANNED

Quote:
My car done 9k kms with no issues, if i ever come across an issue, i will highlight it here just like i did with my Punto ownership thread. Till then let's keep the negative feelings off this thread.
That was not my intention Anshuman. However, if you felt bad, I m sorry.
I was only trying to know the amount of research you have done and if the potential Skoda issues are actually that common.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:46   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That was not my intention Anshuman. However, if you felt bad, I m sorry.
I was only trying to know the amount of research you have done and if the potential Skoda issues are actually that common.
There was nothing to feel bad in your questions. No issues at all.
Old 17th April 2011, 21:43   #201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That is exactly what I am trying to bring myself to terms with. In case of looking for a new vehicle, I dont want to go to Skoda already with a negative impression.

The idea is to look for a good compact X-over (2L D ). If such options dont arise in future. Laura is best option available in terms of both comfort and driving pleasure.
(Yeti is out of league).

(Hence the above questions)
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:01   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally subjected the AC to a tough test. I was very curious to know the performance of the AC as the pre-facelift Laura had a weak AC. The temperature has already crossed the 40c mark here, the car displayed 44c outside.

The car was parked in sun on a concrete surface with curtains down for more than 4 hours in the after noon. I sat in the car at 3pm, the temperature was unbearable, so started with outside air on and shifted to circulation mode with in a minute. With the thermostat positioned at Max(I normally keep it at 22 all year round) the cooling was very fast My car is Ambiente meaning no Auto climate control but the car has thermostat with temperatures specified + Min and Max modes. I have seen Winter and it's now Summers, i am not missing the ACC much. Peak performance of AC was a point of concern for me as Laura's cousins Superb and Passat have a weak AC.

The fabric seats are very comfortable in summers, especially after the car is soaked in sun for hours. Leather seats in same conditions get uncomfortably hot. Looks like i can keep the OE seats for some more time before switching to Stanley leather.

Another good part i forgot to mention here is the turning radius. The wheels turn one more extra step at lock compared to Elantra(2 extra steps compared to Punto), meaning it rarely ever requires 3 point u turns. Even my apartment parking has a u turn on entrance where Laura makes it in one go but Punto needs a proper 3 point turn with reversing.

Now to point out a serious irritant and safety hazard. The driver side RVM is not convex, it has a huge blind spot with limited visibility. The other RVW is convex and is better, I miss the Fortuner's huge mirrors when driving this car. Is it possible to get a convex RVW for Laura?

The space at rear is not generous. Yes it's obviously bigger than Linea, Verna and Cruze but for a car priced upwards of 16L, it's not lavish enough to be chauffeured around. With a person as tall as me(6'2") on the driving seat, there is not much space left for the passenger at the back seat. Though this is not a concern for me, as i rarely ever get to use the rear seats. Till date i have seen the world from the rear seat only once, that too was not more than 15mins.

Overall FE for last tankful was 14.xx KPL. Please note FE varies according to driving conditions and driving styles. My car does not spend most of the stuck in jams, the average speed for my usage is much higher than some else would see in Mumbai or some other place with higher traffic. The fact that with DSG the car is always in the right gear, helps FE quite a lot in city traffic where driving with MT i would hold a wrong gear at times, absence of torque convertor is another advantage.

I can see other AT owners especially i10 AT owners getting jealous.

Last edited by .anshuman : 2nd May 2011 at 20:18. Reason: forgot a point.
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:04   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now to point out a serious irritant and safety hazard. The driver side RVM is not convex, it has a huge blind spot with limited visibility. The other RVW is convex and is better, I miss the Fortuner's huge mirrors when driving this car. Is it possible to get a convex RVW for Laura?
Just stick a blind spot mirror (small convex circular mirror) on the regular one. I have plane mirrors on both sides of my Palio and I use blind spot mirrors. If you search a little bit, you will also get adjustable ones.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:19   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Architect, Thanks. I was thinking of the same, somehow a convex mirror, if it can be sourced seems a better option. If there is no other option a blind spot Mirror is the only way.

Please point me any pics that you might posted of blind spot mirror.
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:24   #205
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Anshuman, that post on DSG and milage helps clears many things.
On the highway you still hit 20kmpl?
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:26   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are spot on with the observation on this one Anshuman. Even I face the same problem with my Laura. It sure is a safety hazard, and honestly, I am quiet surprised that Skoda neglected such an important feature.

Actually I've tried to get those stick on Blind spot mirrors, however not been able to get my hands on decent quality ones. The only ones I've come across are those cheap quality China made mirrors. Not too keen on those.

Does anyone have an idea, as to where would i be able to get these blind spot mirrors (good quality, being the key word here )?

P.S: Loved your unbiased and truthfully compiled report on the Laura
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:39   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thanks Anshuman, that post on DSG and milage helps clears many things.
On the highway you still hit 20kmpl?
Yes, Easily. If i resist myself from burying the Accelerator after every speed breaker, the FE figures on highways are Awesome. 320nm Torque available lowdown helps the car pick up speed quite rapidly without revving.

The current 14.xxkpl figure on last tankful includes hours of idling, some spirited driving in S mode and normal driving in D mode. The car idle sips 0.6-1Litre Diesel/Hour with AC on, The MID when set to display instant FE switches to L/Hour from L/100km when car is stationary.

Even some Yeti owners on the forum have reported 20kpl figures on highways. Yeti has the same engine but comes with lower gearing, heavier and is AWD.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:36   #208
Senior - BHPian

@Anshuman...

Idling sips more fuel in these engines. I get around 16.5 in my Jetta in a 50-50 traffic day. On bad days i get around 13-14 in the MT.

Highways @100kmph i get around 22. But it drops to 18-20 when driving over 120.

Guess the engine is mapped in such a way to meet our gruelling demands of FE.

Often i fell the car gives similar mileage to my Swift.

Only thing missing in your feedback is the ease of the steering apart from the turning radius. I feel the steering in laura or Jetta is highly comparable to the one in i10(in city driving) while the steering feels a little stiffer in highways. I hate the swift steering for city driving.
Old 3rd May 2011, 17:57   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Anshuman...

Idling sips more fuel in these engines. I get around 16.5 in my Jetta in a 50-50 traffic day. On bad days i get around 13-14 in the MT.

Highways @100kmph i get around 22. But it drops to 18-20 when driving over 120.

Guess the engine is mapped in such a way to meet our gruelling demands of FE.

Often i fell the car gives similar mileage to my Swift.

Only thing missing in your feedback is the ease of the steering apart from the turning radius. I feel the steering in laura or Jetta is highly comparable to the one in i10(in city driving) while the steering feels a little stiffer in highways. I hate the swift steering for city driving.
I get around the similar FE below 80kph in Punto and Laura, at higher speeds Laura is better(Tall Gearing and better choice of ratios??). At 120kph Punto sips Diesel considerably faster than Laura(and gets annoyingly loud). Jetta and Laura MT should be even more efficient with the detuned 110hp engine.

Laura's steering gets very light at parking speeds but becomes better with speed. At slow speeds it lacks feel but regains it at moderate speeds. It feels direct all the time. One of better EPS systems i have seen.

Both Laura and Jetta have similarly light steerings, but the one in Jetta feels too artificial and dead for spirited driving. Laura's steering has better feel and feedback but Jetta is easier to drive in traffic.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd May 2011 at 17:59.
Old 4th May 2011, 00:26   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Architect, Thanks. I was thinking of the same, somehow a convex mirror, if it can be sourced seems a better option. If there is no other option a blind spot Mirror is the only way.

Please point me any pics that you might posted of blind spot mirror.
I have one adjustable on the right and one fixed on the left. I always buy one spare, because I have lost five RHS mirrors (only mirrors, not assembly) by now, and I have started using retro Palio local mirrors available for Rs 90/- from Noida Sec 16.

This is a set of pictures of both sides of an older, non-adjustable pair. The place is Sambhar Lake.

BTW, Are you coming for the meet on Saturday 7th May? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...eet-delhi.html You can see the mirrors live.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_1078.jpg  

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_1077.jpg  

Last edited by architect : 4th May 2011 at 00:29.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks