Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 14:39   #136
BANNED

re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Can you share a few pics of the bad roads/no roads that you traversed on or tell me the route without the places if you wish, so that I can get an idea of average road conditions please.

Also, did you use normal or premium fuel?
Old 15th February 2011, 14:52   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Can you share a few pics of the bad roads/no roads that you traversed on or tell me the route without the places if you wish, so that I can get an idea of average road conditions please.

Also, did you use normal or premium fuel?
Well no pics of the Roads as i am regular on these roads, so i did not bother taking pics of the same route i have been travelling on for years. Next time i'll travel, i'll capture some pics to be shared here.

Almost all manufacturers recommend normal diesel for new gen Common Rail Diesels, in fact it's quite clearly mentioned in the beginning in Fiat Punto's owner's handbook. I have never ever opted for premium Diesel, even when it was priced a few paisas more than the Normal Diesel.
Old 15th February 2011, 16:37   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Time for some Pics

Adding some fresh pics-
Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-i00180.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-i00186.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_0393ps.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_1397ps.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_1420.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_1442.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_1447.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_1506.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_1519.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-img_1520.jpg
Old 15th February 2011, 18:31   #139
BHPian

anshuman - Laura looks gorgeous, the design is classy and gives a premium feel. I have enjoyed reading your blog, thanks for sharing the experience.

Best - ML.
Old 15th February 2011, 19:09   #140
Senior - BHPian

@Anshuman-

The car looks great. The white(if its a skoda it looks like it has to be white. White is the new Black for Skoda) is fantastic and the headlights show a classy image.

Wondering how long does it take you to clean this beauty?
Old 15th February 2011, 21:36   #141
BHPian

@ Anshuman - Please bear with me on my question, I am a complete Novice on DSG - So when you shift gears using the lever (Manual Mode) - Do you have to release the accelerator pedal like you do in a manual when you change gears ? or do you continue to keep it floored as in a regular auto. I would greatly appreciate your comment, was always curious.
Old 15th February 2011, 21:40   #142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
@ Anshuman - Please bear with me on my question, I am a complete Novice on DSG - So when you shift gears using the lever (Manual Mode) - Do you have to release the accelerator pedal like you do in a manual when you change gears ? or do you continue to keep it floored as in a regular auto. I would greatly appreciate your comment, was always curious.
No you dont have to leave the accel. Even if you use paddle shifts (this car comes without them) you dont have to leave the accel.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2011, 21:42   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No changes to Acc pedal are required for up/down shifts, just push the lever to left start using manual mode. Good part is the the kick-down button works in Manual mode, meaning if you are midst of an overtaking manoeuvre in 6th and you need an instant boost just push the Acc pedal all the way down to trigger kick-down button, it will instantly downshift gear/s depending on requirement to prove maximum acceleration. Kick works in all modes.

Hope this clarifies.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th February 2011 at 21:44.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2011, 21:50   #144
BHPian

Thank you very much Gentlemen - Akshay1234 and Anshuman.

Since i have the attention of experts here, If i was to compare an auto box of say Cruze and the Laura, which would be prefered ?

I completely understand if this is a lengthy answer and needs to be addressed to a different forum.

Last edited by Motoringlover : 15th February 2011 at 21:51. Reason: Typo
Old 15th February 2011, 21:57   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you very much Gentlemen - Akshay1234 and Anshuman.

Since i have the attention of experts here, If i was to compare an auto box of say Cruze and the Laura, which would be prefered ?

I completely understand if this is a lengthy answer and needs to be addressed to a different forum.
There is not much to compare, the a/t of the Laura being a DSG is certainly superior. Its shifts are quick, and since it dosent have a torque converter the power losses to the wheels are as much as a manual. The downside is that DSGs can be problematic, and then the spares cost a bomb.

The Cruze's a/t isnt bad at all though, even though its a conventional a/t. It surprisingly seems to mask most of the turbo lag the Cruze manual has. It has quick enough shifts, but the manual mode in that is nothing to boast about.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:03   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
There is not much to compare, the a/t of the Laura being a DSG is certainly superior. Its shifts are quick, and since it dosent have a torque converter the power losses to the wheels are as much as a manual. The downside is that DSGs can be problematic, and then the spares cost a bomb.

The Cruze's a/t isnt bad at all though, even though its a conventional a/t. It surprisingly seems to mask most of the turbo lag the Cruze manual has. It has quick enough shifts, but the manual mode in that is nothing to boast about.
@akshay1234 - Very appreciative of your time mate.

I have been contemplating an auto buy for almost a year now, I think i have finally mustered enough financial courage, but having said that, if i was to think towards a DSG Laura, am i to prepare for a certain amount downtime. I really like the shiny looks of the laura.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:10   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Cruze with the massive leg required a Autobox which could mask the lag, and this AT box does this very effectively. The first time i drove Cruze AT, i was pleasantly surprised by how drivable it felt in the city. The torque convertor does the job quite effectively. Overall the Cruze has a good AT box, though gears could have been slightly shorter and overall responsiveness slightly better.

DSG clearly is one of the world's finest autobox with rapid shift times and superb ability to read driver's mind. But it does have some downsides as well, firstly lack of torque convertor spoils driveability with engines with Lag(like the previous PD engine, thankfully current CR engine has no turbo-lag) and cost of maintenance is told to be high.

Last edited by .anshuman : 15th February 2011 at 22:16.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:14   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ Cruze with the massive leg required a Autobox which could mask the lag, and this AT box this very effectively. I first time i drove Cruze AT, i was pleasantly surprised by how drivable it felt in the city. The torque convertor does the job quite effectively. Overall the Cruze has a good AT box, though gears could have been slightly shorter and overall responsiveness slightly better.

DSG clearly is one of the world's finest autobox with rapid shift times and superb ability to read driver's mind. But it does have some downsides as well, firstly lack of torque convertor spoils driveability with engines with Lag(like the previous PD engine, thankfully current CR engine has no turbo-lag) and cost of maintenance is told to be high.
Thanks Anshuman. Appreciate your time on the query.

Best
Old 16th February 2011, 01:01   #149
BHPian

@ Anshuman: How has the Skoda Service experience been ? Good ? Bad ? I love their cars theyre great drivers cars but the horror stories are preventing me from signing on the cheque.
Old 16th February 2011, 09:44   #150
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Motoring lover.

The DSG mecatronic unit that is present in the Laura cost a cool Rs. 1.5-1.75L to replace, these are not really repairable, all they can do if something goes wrong is clean and refit. the current Laura is said to have a more reliable version compared to the one that the PD one that I have.

If used properly the DSG can have a really long life.

One must not shift from any forward gear to a reverse gear suddenly and the reverse gear must be engaged only after the car comes to a full halt in the forward motion.

Also it is preferable to not shift to the S mode or the M mode while the car is in high speed motion.

I had a majorly malfunctioning DSG unit and was looking at a major cost that was averted by topping up the oil, can cleaning and refitting the original unit itself.

Touch wood it is working fine now.

M00M

If buying in Bombay choose JMD - they are decent and genuine as far as service is concerned and have not had any horror stories attributed to them as yet.

For any skoda buyer would suggest they keep 5% of the car cost additional spare toward any major maintenance in the first 100,000 kms / 5 years. (They now give 2+2 year warranty else would have suggested one keep 10% of the original cost of car spare.)
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks