Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 10:15   #151
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Motoring lover.

The DSG mecatronic unit that is present in the Laura cost a cool Rs. 1.5-1.75L to replace, these are not really repairable, all they can do if something goes wrong is clean and refit. the current Laura is said to have a more reliable version compared to the one that the PD one that I have.

If used properly the DSG can have a really long life.

One must not shift from any forward gear to a reverse gear suddenly and the reverse gear must be engaged only after the car comes to a full halt in the forward motion.

Also it is preferable to not shift to the S mode or the M mode while the car is in high speed motion.

I had a majorly malfunctioning DSG unit and was looking at a major cost that was averted by topping up the oil, can cleaning and refitting the original unit itself.

Touch wood it is working fine now.

M00M

If buying in Bombay choose JMD - they are decent and genuine as far as service is concerned and have not had any horror stories attributed to them as yet.

For any skoda buyer would suggest they keep 5% of the car cost additional spare toward any major maintenance in the first 100,000 kms / 5 years. (They now give 2+2 year warranty else would have suggested one keep 10% of the original cost of car spare.)
Thank you very much ACM. Feedback much appreciated.

Best
Old 16th February 2011, 11:40   #152
BHPian

@ ACM: thanks for the feedback. they dont have a service close to south bombay which is a bit of inconvenience and cant keep sending the car to vashi to have it serviced.
Old 16th February 2011, 16:15   #153
BHPian

@anshuman, fantastic review and congrats! I have picked up a DSG, white 2 weeks back! will get home to Mumbai this week end, will post details! Must say, i echo your sentiments! was love at first site with the laura! Cheers!
Old 21st February 2011, 14:24   #154
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
@ ACM: thanks for the feedback. they dont have a service close to south bombay which is a bit of inconvenience and cant keep sending the car to vashi to have it serviced.
JMD has service centres at Vashi (New Bombay), Bhandup (Central Suberbs), Kandivali (Western Suberbs). They had one at Andheri - but that one burned down, 3 years back. Yes nothing in South Bombay.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:50   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk2kin View Post
@anshuman, fantastic review and congrats! I have picked up a DSG, white 2 weeks back! will get home to Mumbai this week end, will post details! Must say, i echo your sentiments! was love at first site with the laura! Cheers!
Congratulations!! How about sharing a review? With loads of pictures attached.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:53   #156
Senior - BHPian

@Anshuman.

Did you ever try to clean the engine bay?.

Also is it true that below a particular fuel level the engine will shut down even though there is some reserve fuel left? Heard it from one of a friend here. Just wanted to double confirm.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:59   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

I washed the engine bay last week. Checked all the fluids.

I rush to Fuel bunks as soon as the Low fuel light comes on with the chime, most Diesels have a manual fuel pump to restart the the car if the car shuts down due to low fuel and Air enters the system, works wonderfully in Scorpio mHawk, not sure about Laura.
Old 21st February 2011, 17:40   #158
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
works wonderfully in Scorpio mHawk, not sure about Laura.
I m sure it will work. It is a very simple manual pump which works on the suction principle like the Pichkaari.

Do you also hear some squeaks and rattles like a few other Lauras on the forum?

OT: That reminds me, "Holi Kab Hai??!!"
Old 21st February 2011, 17:43   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ No squeaks/rattles till date despite having spent most of the time on poor roads.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:12   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No squeaks/rattles till date despite having spent most of the time on poor roads.
The laura handles poor roads so well with the slightly stiffer suspension much better than many cars in its segment.

I am pretty sure though the roads are bad you may have never felt the tiredness other cars give the driver on such bad roads.

Is the suspension as stiff as the Jetta ones?
Old 21st February 2011, 18:21   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The pre-facelift Laura had suspension as stiff as the Jetta, but it was softened when facelifted Laura came out. I liked the previous setup.
Old 21st February 2011, 18:29   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I liked the previous setup.
Can't disagree with you on this one. Taking bad roads at the right speed makes a huge difference to the ride quality on the stiffer suspension when the bad roads just vanish below the car.

Also the tyres make a huge difference to these bad roads. Wondering how good a ride would be on a 215/55/R16 or R17 on these cars. Currently you have the 205/55/R16 right?
Old 21st February 2011, 18:33   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I have 195/65 R 15 on the Laura. The Ride is better than the variants with 16" rims.

The softer tuned post facelift version has more absorbent low speed ride but the ride composure at high speeds was better in pre-facelift version.

Last edited by .anshuman : 21st March 2011 at 13:27. Reason: typo
Old 21st March 2011, 13:04   #164
BHPian

I'm contemplating a Laura Ambiente TDi CR 2.0 MT. The DSG would require stretching my budget to the limit, something I'm trying to avoid. Buying a manual also involves loosing a heart wrenching 30 bhp. Few eager questions :

1. Is there someway of remapping the de-tuned 110bhp motor to reclaim those lost 30 horses?
2. What is the 0~100 time for a Laura TDi manual?
3. Does remapping void warranty?
4. Are the newer generation Laura's relatively more reliable?
5. Feedback on Vinayak Skoda and TAFE, Bangalore in terms of after sales service.
6. Approximate resale of a Laura CR MT driven 100,000 KMS after 4 years?

Thanks.
Old 21st March 2011, 13:26   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
I'm contemplating a Laura Ambiente TDi CR 2.0 MT. The DSG would require stretching my budget to the limit, something I'm trying to avoid. Buying a manual also involves loosing a heart wrenching 30 bhp. Few eager questions :

1. Is there someway of remapping the de-tuned 110bhp motor to reclaim those lost 30 horses?
2. What is the 0~100 time for a Laura TDi manual?
3. Does remapping void warranty?
4. Are the newer generation Laura's relatively more reliable?
5. Feedback on Vinayak Skoda and TAFE, Bangalore in terms of after sales service.
6. Approximate resale of a Laura CR MT driven 100,000 KMS after 4 years?

Thanks.
1. Yes, the 110hp version can be easily Remapped to deliver 140 horses reliably.

2.The VW Jetta with the same engine in the same 110 tune does 0-100 in 11.94secs, expect the Laura to be fractions of a second slower/faster. Previously when both these cars shared the PD engine they had very similar performance.

3.Yes remapping voids the warranty. Tuning box is a safer option but i do not recommend it at all.

4.Not much to worry about as the new Skoda cars now come with Skoda Shield, a 4 year/one lakh km warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks