Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 22:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Plastidip in India?

I see this website seems to sell the same thing? btw, I am not convinced enough about it's benefits though.

http://www.cosmotech.org/rubber-coating.html
Old 5th April 2013, 22:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsh11 View Post
It's like a removable layer of paint that we can spray on the bike/car;pretty durable stuff. Might even be useful to ensure the original paint remains intact if you ever want to sell the bike as you can just peel the paint off with your bare hands.
Sarsh you just made my mouth open wide like this -

It's shown in the video how easy it is to peel off the layer with just bare hands (he does so on the headlight).

More than anything else i.e the protection it gives to the stock paint and other stuff, the thing I just loved is the "Matte"ish effect it has.
If its cheaper than those vinyls and doing a complete Matte Black paint job I would definitely do it on my bike.

Do PM me if you find any more info regarding it (the price, durability, where to get it etc.)

Thank you!

-Bhargav
Old 5th April 2013, 23:35   #18
BHPian

Apart from all the benefits stated above, I believe it also gives support to things like the wind shield.
Old 6th April 2013, 01:04   #19
BHPian

@deepclutch
I'll try sending them a mail, those cans cost like Rs 500/400mL in the USA and according to this chap here it took him only 6 cans in total to plastidip his whole bike!
And look at how simple it is to do it:

Why isn't this more popular in India? Also it does bring up questions about legality as the bike's colors wouldn't match the papers; is there a special provision for removable paint?

@Octane_Power
Sure thing, but it'll be some time before I pursue this more intently as I haven't even booked my bike yet, heh.
Old 6th April 2013, 11:14   #20
BHPian

Looks interesting and innovative.. But it left me wondering, what happens when some naughty kids around your block start peeling off this paint.
Old 6th April 2013, 11:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Looks interesting and innovative.. But it left me wondering, what happens when some naughty kids around your block start peeling off this paint.
It seldom happens that someone tries to peel-off your paint with bare hands..

Just 1 small step that will act as a protection in this case is, to not let others know how easy it is to remove the layer. (especially kids and not-so-friendly neighbours. )

Rest, I don't think any one tries scratching paint off cars and bikes with just their nails.

-Bhargav
Old 6th April 2013, 12:55   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonmathews View Post
Apart from all the benefits stated above, I believe it also gives support to things like the wind shield.
How would it help in giving support? From the video it looks like it wouldn't have any strength.
Old 6th April 2013, 13:09   #23
BANNED

cosmotech Are supplier of this product

http://www.cosmotech.org/rubber-coating.html

You can check at above link
Old 6th April 2013, 13:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
How would it help in giving support? From the video it looks like it wouldn't have any strength.
As seen here:

I am guessing the support offered would be analogous to that of Lamination of a paper although the scale of support provided, in comparison, would be really toned down.
Old 6th April 2013, 14:26   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
It seldom happens that someone tries to peel-off your paint with bare hands..

Just 1 small step that will act as a protection in this case is, to not let others know how easy it is to remove the layer. (especially kids and not-so-friendly neighbours. )

Rest, I don't think any one tries scratching paint off cars and bikes with just their nails.

-Bhargav
Haven't seen people scratching away to glory while attending phone calls etc? Some use keychains too. BHP'ian Krishna had an experience where his 3M PPF (Trust me, thats hard to pull out!) film on the mirrors were scratched out by a by-stander- who was simply attending a phone call and sub-consciously peeling off the film, while leaning on the car.

Anyways - what are the big advantages of plastidip over vinyl wraps? They also come in matte black finish and are easily removable, right?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th April 2013 at 14:32.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 14:52   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Anyways - what are the big advantages of plastidip over vinyl wraps? They also come in matte black finish and are easily removable, right?
Pricing i guess. And when it comes to bikes, Plasti Dip would be a DIY.
Old 6th April 2013, 15:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Wrapping a bike with all of its curves and edges would be a very time consuming job requiring expert hands and would most probably still leave gaps and folds. Also not to mention relatively more expensive.
Plastidip on the other hand is more like spray painting walls, all it seems to need is patience and a little practice.
Also with some good masking tape skills, we could make our own patterns/decals.

I shot those guys at cosmotech a mail asking about price and if there are any dealerships in India, hoping for some positive news.
sarsh11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 20:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Some use keychains too. BHP'ian Krishna had an experience where his 3M PPF (Trust me, thats hard to pull out!) film on the mirrors were scratched out by a by-stander- who was simply attending a phone call and sub-consciously peeling off the film, while leaning on the car.

That's why I clearly wrote the two words every time I got the opportunity to - "bare hands".

If one wants to (Ok, also consider the case you have mentioned in which the emotions of the phone conversation spill out on the car one is leaning against ; here it being subconsciously)remove or purposely harm the paint or the vinyl wrap or something like plasitdip we all know that there are no less than 10K(pun) instruments like keys,screw drivers etc. to do the job.

Also, the main advantage I reckon would be the cost effectiveness.
Exempli Gratia : Imagine two cases ; 1 in which a car's vinyl wrap is damaged a good foot long and 2 in which a car's plastidip layer is damaged a foot long and both need to be repaired.

I guess the answer is quite obvious. Just buy a new plastidip can and cover the affected part. There won't be any patches as in the case of vinyl wrap.

On a different note, its quite a DIY task and you won't require professional help in it whereas a Vinyl covering or a Matte black paint job does require a good amount of expertise for a good finish.

-Bhargav
Old 8th April 2013, 13:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...

Plastidip is only suited for Art-Work. If the whole car is painted using pasti-dip, It would cause RTO Hassles and arguments with Police at Check-points / Nakas.

This is best suited for wheels but the price is a deterrent at least for now.

Theoritically, the car color changes to the naked eye and this would need RTO endorsement. India is not mature enough to pass / allow such things. Look at Sunfilm rule in parallel. Court states that nothing should be "Pasted" on the glass, but dark curtains, Chipkoos, conventional taxi curtains have also brought in police eyes, which objected. Curtains are not "pasted on the glass" but they run parallel to the glass.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 8th April 2013 at 13:25.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2013, 14:57   #30
BHPian

Re: Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...

Hi Guys,
I have got a can of Plasti Dip Black and its a weekend project for me to get the Vw Emblems matte black. there is a dealer in chennai, who sells plasti dip which is rebranded to strippex. it is plasti dips cans, which they re sticker to strippex.

ill create a thread with pictures this weekend. so watch this space.

gk
Gocool2007 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks