Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2006, 20:36   #16
ECM
BHPian

The best gauge is that which is filled with Glisrine( I am using it since long time and that I got from one shipbreaking junk material)It will show you pakka pressure.Try this type of gauge and it will never let u down.
Old 15th May 2006, 17:39   #17
BHPian

Anybody who has something like this?
Old 15th May 2006, 20:42   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathjeppu
cool item!!!!! Have anyone used this before?
Want to buy this one.
Old 15th May 2006, 21:12   #19
rks
BANNED

Quote:
I have the "Hi-Tec digital tire gauge" from Roadgear:

http://www.roadgear.com/catalog/inde...le=Accessories

It costs $25 plus shipping. It is guaranteed for 5 years and is supposed to be accurate to within 0.1 psi. I have found it to be quite good, despite that fact that it is optimized for bikes (but can be used for 4-wheelers, according to Roadgear).

The only trouble with these digital gauges is that you need to hold them for some time without letting the air out of the tyre in order to get an accurate reading, and this takes some practice. Initially, I found that the tyre pressure was reducing by 0.5 psi with each reading, but now I am doing much better. I use the digital gauge usually only on the spare wheel to cross-check the analog gauge on my electric pump. Of course, I am much more comfortable using the gauge on the pump because I can lock the tube from the pump on to the tyre valve, without letting air out.

I would recommend that you check to see if you are comfortable taking tyre pressure readings on your vehicle with the digital gauge (without letting too much air out) before buying it.

Regards, rks
Old 16th May 2006, 00:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

What one needs is a good battery operated tyre inflator to go with this!... I saw a couple .. but all of them were cheap platstiky chinese toys...

Wonder if anyone makes them or sells them in India.
Old 16th May 2006, 01:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Check the Slime product range at www.speedworksindia.com .

There's even a tire inflator which connects to the cigarette socket and surprisingly,its reasonably priced.
Old 16th May 2006, 03:35   #22
Max
BHPian

i read on amazon that those tiny compressors go bad after some time and aren't much usefull. anyway, if you compare price of about 1000 for tiny compressor (tyre deflator) and if you need 50 refills in year it will take you 2 years to recover cost and i am sure it will go bad in 2 years
Old 16th May 2006, 13:00   #23
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max
i read on amazon that those tiny compressors go bad after some time and aren't much usefull. anyway, if you compare price of about 1000 for tiny compressor (tyre deflator) and if you need 50 refills in year it will take you 2 years to recover cost and i am sure it will go bad in 2 years
Mine is an unbranded one with built in gauge (quite accurate), allegedly made in Taiwan (I have only the auto dealer's word for it) and it cost me Rs. 1200. Working fine for about 4 months so far, but has some electrical loose contact (which once caused a fuse blowout in my car at the cigarette socket). Next time will go for a branded one with a guarantee.

A compressor can be very useful in an emergency, say, if you are stuck with a flat tyre in a desolate spot -- you can just fill up with your compressor and keep driving till you reach a safe spot. And of course, you can check your tyre pressures in cold condition, at your convenience. Thought about a foot pump (just Rs. 300), but requires too much labour for filling from scratch.

Regards, rks
Old 16th May 2006, 15:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree partially. If u are just a road-user, the value of the product matters.
But, if u go to tracks and have the constant need to increase or decrease tire presssure,then it makes a whole lotta sense.

Moreover, the lifetime of the product also matters. Don't know about others.But, Slime is kinda well-built.

Last edited by nitrous : 16th May 2006 at 15:04.
Old 19th June 2006, 15:06   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Portable tyre inflator

Guys,

I'm looking for a portable tyre inflator - the type that plugs into the 12V DC socket of the car and automatically produces compressed air to fill the tyres with. My bro has this - but he got it from the US some 5 yrs back.

I've asked Car Shringar to try and source this. In the meantime if any of you gentlejuntas are aware of its avaialbility in Bangalore, pl let know either thru PM or this thread

Also abt a digital tyre pressure gauge
Old 19th June 2006, 16:25   #26
BHPian

Available on E-Bay India

Hi

I remember seeing it on www..ebay.in, they will ship it to you.... Try your luck there... Well, wait, I will try to get the link for you

Click on this soon, or the link will get expired. Here is the direct link.
http://cgi.ebay.in/3-IN-1MINI-SUPER-...QQcmdZViewItem

The link to this online sghop is:
http://stores.ebay.in/AUTO-SUPERSTORE
Old 19th June 2006, 17:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

This is already discussed here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...auge-pump.html

Mods, please close this thread.
Old 20th June 2006, 03:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Update : I bought one of these items from ebay for Rs. 350. Pretty useful.
Made a couple of oberservations thanks to the pressure gauge.
  1. One of my tyre's pressure used to drop to 25 from 32 psi after just about an hour. Took it to the service center and he told me that the valve on the tubeless tyre was loose. Fixed it and how there's no more leakage. I wouldn't have detected it without a pressure gauge.
  2. I was under the impression that the phenomenon of Air heating up and expanding in tubeless tyres was low. However, I found out otherwise. 32 psi in a petrol bunk (hot tyre) becomes 29 psi in the morning (cold tyre). The reccommended tyre pressure for my car is 29 psi which is probably why I did not find major difference in my ride quality when I increased by tyre pressure to 32 psi.
Cheers
Old 21st June 2006, 05:46   #29
BANNED

Quote:
I bought one of these items from ebay for Rs. 350.
@sharathjeppu : Above all, can we trust the eBay products ? I've always heard of dubious products put up for sale. And sometimes the shippping charges are more than that of the product's cost itself.

Did you got the product shipped to Bangalore itself ?

Anyway, keep posted about the quality of your eBay product...
Old 10th July 2006, 15:31   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
@sharathjeppu : Above all, can we trust the eBay products ? I've always heard of dubious products put up for sale. And sometimes the shippping charges are more than that of the product's cost itself.

Did you got the product shipped to Bangalore itself ?

Anyway, keep posted about the quality of your eBay product...
Well, I have bought several small things from ebay and most of them have been OK. It is important to read the user feedback on the product as well as the seller before you take a decision.

The shipping charges are indicated to you before you confirm the payment. So you can take a call to go ahead or withdraw.

The Tyre pressure gauge is pretty neat and accurate. It was only with this I was able to figure out that my tubeless Tyre which was losing air was infact actually due to a puncture. It turned out to have two long nails embedded completely inside.

And yes, I had got all my products shipped to Bangalore itself. And one small correction, the product had actually cost me Rs. 450 and not Rs. 350 as I had earlier mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks