Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2010, 18:08   #601
BHPian

Update:

I asked the SA & he said that all non clear lens Altos can be fitted with the VX console. The plugs are the same & only the RPM & key off pins are left unused in LX. Problem lies in some batches wherein the plug will be deliberately shortened/cut wires but it is no problem as the whole cable to odo comes cheap & ECU is the same. He refused to do such a job on any vehicle citing ODO tampering & that this is why they don't sell these consoles. There is a Maruti authorised stockist just behind DD motors workshop(not the bodyshop) in Mayapuri and he can get console & Astar tacho on order.

He was clueless on the Astar question & suggested that I go the ignition coil way (as alto is single coil)
Old 12th June 2010, 21:27   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Update:

I asked the SA & he said that all non clear lens Altos can be fitted with the VX console. The plugs are the same & only the RPM & key off pins are left unused in LX. Problem lies in some batches wherein the plug will be deliberately shortened/cut wires but it is no problem as the whole cable to odo comes cheap & ECU is the same. He refused to do such a job on any vehicle citing ODO tampering & that this is why they don't sell these consoles. There is a Maruti authorised stockist just behind DD motors workshop(not the bodyshop) in Mayapuri and he can get console & Astar tacho on order.

He was clueless on the Astar question & suggested that I go the ignition coil way (as alto is single coil)
Thanks mate, appreciate the help.

Well, if this is true, I will check again with the Pricol guy & ask him specifically about the older model Alto as that's what I have with me. Also, this would mean that the VX console would work (including the tacho) as the wires required from the ECU were already present in older model Altos. Please correct me if I understood wrongly.

Also, what's a key-off pin?

I will look for this stockist, & see if the job can be done. In case you are also interested in the AStar tacho, maybe you can also try asking some other mechanics you would know of. I will try here at my end & know if it can work. And when you said that your SA suggested to go the "ignition coil way", it means the AStar or any other aftermarket tacho, right, because the VX console would take the reading through the ECU. Correct me if wrong.

Thanks again, drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 12th June 2010 at 21:30.
Old 12th June 2010, 22:34   #603
Senior - BHPian

How much would the Vx console cost? And would the odo be reset??
Old 12th June 2010, 23:09   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
JustCause has mentioned it to cost somewhere close to Rs.5500 (from a MASS, I suppose). And this is in Delhi. Also, the odometer would be rest to zero.

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2010, 23:16   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Thanks mate, appreciate the help.

Well, if this is true, I will check again with the Pricol guy & ask him specifically about the older model Alto as that's what I have with me. Also, this would mean that the VX console would work (including the tacho) as the wires required from the ECU were already present in older model Altos. Please correct me if I understood wrongly.

Yes, you're right

Also, what's a key-off pin?

Nothing, the RPM signal pin & the key off reminder are left unused in LX(i), so you may find lesser wires in the plug(rare). I think brown wire is for tacho. Please do check the back plug of the speedo(its very easy, member badboyscad had done a DIY & mentioned the instructions), if all wires are present in the points, you can fit tacho as a bolt on mod, otherwise, you need the cable with all wires.

I will look for this stockist, & see if the job can be done. In case you are also interested in the AStar tacho, maybe you can also try asking some other mechanics you would know of. I will try here at my end & know if it can work. And when you said that your SA suggested to go the "ignition coil way", it means the AStar or any other aftermarket tacho, right, because the VX console would take the reading through the ECU. Correct me if wrong.

Yes, he suggested aftermarket ones. Astar (3 cyl)too is an ECM based tacho, that's why the same works in Ritz(4 cyl) also. VX one is ECM dependent & will work accordingly for 3 cyl without fuss.

Thanks again, drive safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
VX console costs 5500INR in Delhi, ODO is reset, that's why MASS refused.

Can't we get our old ODO reading on the new one by some electronics guy?
Old 13th June 2010, 11:32   #606
BHPian

Key in Remainder pin

Hi the key in remainder pin exists on all euro II altos but the ignition key mechanism in the alto vx is different than lx so in vx u get a beep from speedo if u open door with key in but using the same vx console in lx u will not get beep of key in remainder because the ign key mech is different (2 diff part nos).But lights on remainder is still working when vx console fitted to lx . I am using this setup in my euto II 04 lxi alto.
Old 13th June 2010, 12:47   #607
Senior - BHPian

Any idea howmuch the AStar tachometer costs? I'm thinking of putting the OE tacho in my AStar if it can be conected to some unused connector in my AStar VXi, like you guys have in your Alto LX.
Old 13th June 2010, 15:20   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
Hi the key in remainder pin exists on all euro II altos but the ignition key mechanism in the alto vx is different than lx so in vx u get a beep from speedo if u open door with key in but using the same vx console in lx u will not get beep of key in remainder because the ign key mech is different (2 diff part nos).But lights on remainder is still working when vx console fitted to lx . I am using this setup in my euto II 04 lxi alto.
Yes, my bad, I messed both of them up. There was beep buzzer & I thought it was meant for the key off reminder.

@ Sankar

Astar is not as simple as Alto. Consult your SA. It might be possible, but is certainly not a DIY/Plug & play as in Alto.

@ everyone contemplating VX console

Please don't do the mistake of fitting WagonR/Estilo console. They are different & even while they look the same as Alto VX, they didn't work.

Last edited by JustCause : 13th June 2010 at 15:21.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2010, 15:31   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
@ everyone contemplating VX console

Please don't do the mistake of fitting WagonR/Estilo console. They are different & even while they look the same as Alto VX, they didn't work.
Gosh, I am confused now. I remember the Pricol guy telling me that the console from WagonR would work in Alto VX & vice-versa, so how is it that the WagonR console won't work in an Alto LX(non clear lens, Euro II) as the Alto VX console can also work in Alto LX?

Also, you mentioned that the cable with all wires can be bought to make the VX console work. So, does it mean that with this new set of cables/wires, I can connect the Alto VX console to even the new clear lens headlamp Altos as well? The old Altos however (non clear lens) had these wires already in them. I am sorry for the confusion, but I don't think I got it right & hence wanted to confirm again.

By the way, which MASS do you go to?

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 13th June 2010 at 15:33.
Old 14th June 2010, 08:02   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Gosh, I am confused now. I remember the Pricol guy telling me that the console from WagonR would work in Alto VX & vice-versa, so how is it that the WagonR console won't work in an Alto LX(non clear lens, Euro II) as the Alto VX console can also work in Alto LX?

Also, you mentioned that the cable with all wires can be bought to make the VX console work. So, does it mean that with this new set of cables/wires, I can connect the Alto VX console to even the new clear lens headlamp Altos as well? The old Altos however (non clear lens) had these wires already in them. I am sorry for the confusion, but I don't think I got it right & hence wanted to confirm again.

By the way, which MASS do you go to?

Drive safe.
Buy the one he suggests would work in Wagon R & Alto VX. Don't buy one for Estilo/BS3 Wagon. I am telling so because even a slight wire mismatch will be harmful to the ECU.Basically, WagonR/Estilo consoles are same, but, only someone with good knowledge of color coded wires will be able to make it work(if you're considering a DIY).

I will be posting about clear lens solution after making some inquiries.

By the way, where is this pricol guy? please post his name & address so I will be able to get things for experimentation.

I get my car serviced at DD motors, Mayapuri.
Old 15th June 2010, 16:15   #611
CCP

Alto with a G15 engine.

Regards

CCP
Attached Thumbnails
Modding an Alto-04072009545.jpg  

Modding an Alto-10052009455.jpg  

Modding an Alto-10052009456.jpg  

Modding an Alto-12052009460.jpg  

Modding an Alto-12052009463.jpg  

Modding an Alto-12052009464.jpg  

Modding an Alto-12052009465.jpg  

Modding an Alto-12052009466.jpg  

CCP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2010, 18:49   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Hey mate,

I am not sure about vj-maverik, however I also think that he is running 165s. But at the same, he also got some sort of modification done to his wheel wells, like got them bent further inside or something.

And about 155s, they would run fine, as the difference is only 10mm, there would be no scraping. But with a 5.5J rim, you are increasing the effective width by approximately 1.5 inches if I understand correctly & an inch is approx. equal to 25.4mm.

Gurus may be able to make this clearer, in case I am wrong somewhere.

Regards.
I have 165/60/R13 Bridgestone Potenza GIII on my Alto for more than a year running on 13 X 5J rims. With only 1-2 people in the car there are never any problems. However with 4 people in the car the right rear tire sometimes touches the wheel wells. I dont know why only this particular rubs against the wheel wells, the other three tires seem to be fine.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:09   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCP View Post
Alto with a G15 engine.

Regards

CCP
MAn this is the shizzle...where is this. would love to get in touch with who ever did it, Next upgrade may be.

a little O.T , would you know about the compatibility of a aisin amr 300 supercharger with the 3 cylinder 0.8 mill used on the alto in india. i'm importing one, should be here soon. so just wanted to know if it could possibly be bolted on with a little modifications to the alto,

cheers.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:13   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
I have 165/60/R13 Bridgestone Potenza GIII on my Alto for more than a year running on 13 X 5J rims. With only 1-2 people in the car there are never any problems. However with 4 people in the car the right rear tire sometimes touches the wheel wells. I dont know why only this particular rubs against the wheel wells, the other three tires seem to be fine.
i know what you mean. used to happen with my car also but mostly on the left side. but i got the suspension stiffened and the fenders rolled. this was touching after i had put a 1" spacer all around. but then i'm running 175/60 r 13 tyres on a 13" x 6j rim. try getting your rear fenders rolled, the extra flat piece of metal under the fender will get rolled back to allow a little more room for the tyre to move up and down, i'm going to loose the rear seat soon though, just to make it a little mor fun to drive around.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:09   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCP View Post
Alto with a G15 engine.
Sweet

Can you share more details on the conversion please ? Did the firewall need any modification ? What transmission is the car using ? Did the driveshafts need modification ? Do you have enough space to run the A/C compressor ?

Once again - Sweet !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks