Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 11:37   #646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
At last got what I was looking for over last 6 months. HID with projector lense . Found a shop who has an exact match to the existing headlight assembly, with projector lense and Phillips H4 HID. Done the LED strips with LED parking lights today, will post snaps tomorrow. Total HID fittings will cost 11.5K, with original Phillips H4(6000K) and lenses.
Could you please post pics of the projector setup you have acquired. really want to know how much better the light throw and illumination is post the projector swap.

Another query for all other members, are the pedder dampers for the old 0.8 alto compatible with the new k10. i feel the suspension is too soft and the car tends to bounce around quite a bit.have already upgraded the rubber so this would be the nezt upgrade to help sort the handling a little bit.

cheers.
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:33   #647
BHPian

Mud Flaps for Alto

Hi All,

I happen to have these front tyres whose treads are such that inspite of having regular flaps, mud/sludge tends to get onto the doors. I have seen flaps on certain vehicles which are extending out a couple of inches. Unfortunately, I am told, these aren't made to fit all cars. Does anybody know if these are available for Alto? If not, what's the solution for this? Now that we are in the thick of monsoon season, this is a major issue.
Old 25th August 2010, 09:47   #648
BHPian

Does installing the K&N Filter and Headers have any kind of an impact on the FE of an Alto? Also when I enquired about power windows the dealer advised against it. Says he has seen many issues with power windows for Alto! Can somebody throw some light on this? Any kind of feedback/input is appreciated!

Thank you!
-Z
Old 25th August 2010, 13:04   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
Does installing the K&N Filter and Headers have any kind of an impact on the FE of an Alto? Also when I enquired about power windows the dealer advised against it. Says he has seen many issues with power windows for Alto! Can somebody throw some light on this? Any kind of feedback/input is appreciated!

Thank you!
-Z
K&N install will require frequent Throttle body cleaning. Also, once K&N is dirty, cleaning it is a problem unless you know someone who has that 'oil' cleaner. Header install should be done only by someone who is an expert & not some self proclaimed 'tuner' as ordinary/universal headers don't fit that easily in an ALTO. FE increase with a performance filter is marginal but the responsiveness, driveability & general performance is very good. Personally, I advise you not to spend on a K&N since, a couple more 1000 bucks could get you a real cold air intake(if its performance that you're after) & also that the filter you get is universal type & you will need to remove the current air box assembly.Doing such upgrades voids warranty & many a time workshop people tell that some other unrelated problem is due to the aftermarket part you installed.

Power windows go bad when water enters the Motor/Switchgear. There is no such Alto specific issue, it can happen to any car. Make sure that the motors are of Sealed Brushless DC type.

Happy driving in your Saccha Humsafar.
Old 25th August 2010, 20:41   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
K&N install will require frequent Throttle body cleaning. Also, once K&N is dirty, cleaning it is a problem unless you know someone who has that 'oil' cleaner. Header install should be done only by someone who is an expert & not some self proclaimed 'tuner' as ordinary/universal headers don't fit that easily in an ALTO. FE increase with a performance filter is marginal but the responsiveness, driveability & general performance is very good. Personally, I advise you not to spend on a K&N since, a couple more 1000 bucks could get you a real cold air intake(if its performance that you're after) & also that the filter you get is universal type & you will need to remove the current air box assembly.Doing such upgrades voids warranty & many a time workshop people tell that some other unrelated problem is due to the aftermarket part you installed.

Power windows go bad when water enters the Motor/Switchgear. There is no such Alto specific issue, it can happen to any car. Make sure that the motors are of Sealed Brushless DC type.

Happy driving in your Saccha Humsafar.
Thanks a bunch *justcause* for your inputs.
I will have to do some research on some tuners available in Bangalore. First of all I need some dough to get it done!

Cheers!
-Z
Old 25th August 2010, 23:42   #651
Senior - BHPian

I've had power windows in my Alto Lxi since 2004 and (Touch wood) never had any problems.
Old 26th August 2010, 08:43   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I've had power windows in my Alto Lxi since 2004 and (Touch wood) never had any problems.

Hi Wild!
Did you get it installed from the dealer (MGA) or is it the after market one? Is there a specific make that you can refer to?

Thank you!
Z
Old 26th August 2010, 10:23   #653
Senior - BHPian

It is preferable to get it installed from MGA especially if the car is under warranty. And you may have to go for a slightly higher capacity battery as well.

I personally would not advise it as rain water easily enters through the rubber beadings of the windows and drains from the bottom in the Alto. The motors may easily get damaged.
Old 26th August 2010, 12:01   #654
Senior - BHPian

Its true that water does enter through the rubber beadings of the windows of alto. I had encountered a similar problem when the rain water entered through the beading the power window motor started to shudder the glass on rolling it. Got it checked at the dealer and he said come after rains, we'll get it fixed, replying to this i said fool your other customers, the warranty period will be over by that time, and instructed him to replace it immediately. Touchwood till date no PW issues.
Just want to share a little piece of info with fellow Alto owners, whenever it rains ensure that you minimize the use of PW and before rolling it down wipe the glass.
Old 26th August 2010, 22:33   #655
Senior - BHPian

Mine is MGA (only front windows).
Old 2nd September 2010, 11:29   #656
Senior - BHPian

Power window query

Hi guys,

I have been contemplating about getting PWs (front two doors) installed in my car since some time, & finally I have decided to take the plunge. Although there are a plethora of options available in the market, & I am confused, more so after reading the previous few posts in this thread.

There is a considerable difference in price between MGA PW & any other brand available from outside. So, I have decided to get these installed from outside, although if somebody knows of the brand that comes pre-fitted (or as MGA & is better than anything else), I would try to get in touch with the company directly (might save me some money).

The brands I came to know about are given as below:
1. MGT International
2. AutoCop
3. Xenos
4. SAI or Traxxon
5. Magna (MGA at Competent workshop in Mehrauli)

Now my queries are:

1. Apart from any other brands which might be suggested here, which out of the above would be a better bet, in terms of quality, reliaility & after-sales?

2. Are there any other types of PWs available apart from automatic & non-automatic types? Which one's better, please list pros & cons?

3. Is there a difference in the type of motor used in automatic & non-automatic types? If yes, which one is better & why?

4. What is a sealed brushed DC type motor (as previously mentioned by JustCause)? Also, as most have already mentioned, since the insides of Alto's doors receive a fair amount of water, what should be the best type of motor & which brand has such motors in their products? Or suggest a way to check.

5. What is the use of a relay/upmodule apart from automatically rolling up the windows when the car is locked by central locking unit? My car doesn't have a central locking unit, so does it make any sense to pay extra for a relay?

I apologize for the slightly long post, but wanted to keep it as lucid as possible. Looking forward to getting some helpful replies soon.

Drive safe, & take care all.
Old 2nd September 2010, 13:20   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Now my queries are:

1. Apart from any other brands which might be suggested here, which out of the above would be a better bet, in terms of quality, reliaility & after-sales?

Well, it really depends on how known the company is in the market. I suggest you not to go below Autocop/Xenos (in order of preference).

4. What is a sealed brushless DC type motor (as previously mentioned by JustCause)? Also, as most have already mentioned, since the insides of Alto's doors receive a fair amount of water, what should be the best type of motor & which brand has such motors in their products? Or suggest a way to check.

"This
type of motor is the one with high reliability & longevity. In case of motors/power supplies etc., it is generally good to opt for the one heavier in weight(all other factors remaining the same) as the heavier one has more copper & will run better(from experience) as you may find many no-name brands in the market. Also, if you've observed, Alto's closed doors retain a wee bit of water even after a day or two of heavy downpours, so if you open them, you will find a continuous thin stream of water dripping for quite some time. So, take time during the installation to clean the dirt/mud in the drain holes on the bottom of the doors.

5. What is the use of a relay/upmodule apart from automatically rolling up the windows when the car is locked by central locking unit? My car doesn't have a central locking unit, so does it make any sense to pay extra for a relay?

Relay is of no use if you don't have central locking.

I apologize for the slightly long post, but wanted to keep it as lucid as possible. Looking forward to getting some helpful replies soon.

Drive safe, & take care all.
I can't quite understand what you meant by automatic PWs.
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:17   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
I can't quite understand what you meant by automatic PWs.
Hey buddy, thanks for your response. It was really helpful, although I am getting inclined towards Sai after having spoken to one of their representatives. Also, another attraction with Sai/Traxxon is that some people (auto shops) around my place mention this company being one of the suppliers to other major brands as well as to Toyota & HM. And lastly, they are offering switches with lights & I don't think any other brand has this provision.

As for automatic types, these are windows (as per the guy at Sai) which are one touch i.e. you tap the button once, & the glass would go all the way up or down. The other non-automatic type are the ones in which the glass moves as long as the button is pressed & stops when the switch/button is released. Let me know if you can understand or identify with this type of setup.

Thanks again, take care & drive safe.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:00   #659
BHPian

The brands I came to know about are given as below:
1. MGT International
2. AutoCop
3. Xenos
4. SAI or Traxxon
5. Magna (MGA at Competent workshop in Mehrauli)

What are the prices quoted for these brands?
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:57   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
And lastly, they are offering switches with lights & I don't think any other brand has this provision.

Thanks again, take care & drive safe.
The absence of backlights were the reason I looked down upon the stock PWs . It sounds like the company is good & would you mind sharing the cost? Automatic PWs should have failsafe mechanism in case of obstruction in path, lest the neck/hand of someone can get caught. Do post some pics if you get them installed .

Last edited by JustCause : 3rd September 2010 at 18:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks