Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2011, 12:06   #766
BHPian

Re: Modding an Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Alright, but in that the case the question that comes to mind is, if [increased airflow=increased dust], then why is there such a major popularity for K&N filters?
We should buy a K&N that is tailormade for our model of the car. The universal one modifies the air intake by introducing bends instead of straights & vice versa & hence, influences the intake pressure. Every engine has a unique specification for the intake air. If you try to violate it by modifying the air intake, well against the manufacturer specs, it is bound to cause premature wear of parts & low reliability.

The first sign of universal K&N syndrome is a very dirty throttle body (a sign of the increased dust the filter is allowing to pass). Piston & valve problems are next in line.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 13:04   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alright, but in that the case the question that comes to mind is, if [increased airflow=increased dust], then why is there such a major popularity for K&N filters? I mean isn't this disadvantage applicable for all the cars that use a K&N? Or is it something just specific to the engine of an Alto or some certain hatches? I don't think that makes much sense..
It applies to K&N (or similar) filters irrespective of the brand of car. I personally will never buy a car if I knew it was running on such filters.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 13:34   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
We should buy a K&N that is tailormade for our model of the car. The universal one modifies the air intake by introducing bends instead of straights & vice versa & hence, influences the intake pressure. Every engine has a unique specification for the intake air. If you try to violate it by modifying the air intake, well against the manufacturer specs, it is bound to cause premature wear of parts & low reliability.

The first sign of universal K&N syndrome is a very dirty throttle body (a sign of the increased dust the filter is allowing to pass). Piston & valve problems are next in line.
Thank you so very much. That was just the perfect technical explanation I was looking for. After your advice, finally I think it will the best option for me to stick to the factory fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It applies to K&N (or similar) filters irrespective of the brand of car. I personally will never buy a car if I knew it was running on such filters.
Okay, that makes sense. It would probably cause extra wear and tear over the years and in the long run it will reduce the resale value of the car, as well as cause unforeseen problem in the day to day running of the car.
Old 8th November 2011, 11:48   #769
BHPian

'To be or not to be that is the question.' I am still confused, some people are telling that K&N filters have lots of problems and some people are telling it is very good and better driving feeling. Somebody is telling 'Green Cotton' filters are better than K&Ns. MASS is selling K&N for Rs.2800/= + vat. Now I want to know from Gurus of BHP that 'yes' or 'no' without technical jargons because my knowledge is very little about these things.
Old 10th November 2011, 19:20   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasuray View Post
'To be or not to be that is the question.' I am still confused, some people are telling that K&N filters have lots of problems and some people are telling it is very good and better driving feeling. Somebody is telling 'Green Cotton' filters are better than K&Ns. MASS is selling K&N for Rs.2800/= + vat. Now I want to know from Gurus of BHP that 'yes' or 'no' without technical jargons because my knowledge is very little about these things.
Exactly the very same thing that's been on my mind as well!!
I have been so in two minds about this thing, I really cannot come to a conclusion, and as I read somewhere when I first joined this forum, this place does not give you instant answers, and instead, you will leave a more confused person than what you were when you came looking for answers.
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 13:22   #771
Senior - BHPian

@tasuray & swarnava : The upgrades are mainly for driving pleasure and folks who love the vroom's vroom's ofcourse your FE would drop because of the extra revving you would love to do.

Migrating from factory fitted stock filters to upgraded conical air filters (K&N,Green Cotton, Pipercross) are usually done for the following

1. Driving Pleasure (people who love the vroom vroom) --> converting this to additional HP would need a complete tuning with FFE and other mods.
2. Maintenance (No need of changing every 5K runs)
3. No issues for 100,000 Kms.
4. Ofcourse aesthetics.

Again it is pure personal choice of having which one to use as more or less all are the same having the same characteristics.

IMHO:This is a forum where genuine answers are always given but it might be delayed sometimes but generalizing that you never get the correct answer is the one which I do not agree. Well! People give different opinions and to each his own depending on the ride you drive and the expectation you have is all that matters.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 01:44   #772
BHPian

Quote:
The real downside is the dust they allow inside the engine. Increased airflow = increased dust as well. There are no two ways about it. The best ones are the stock paper air filters or the same type (of a superior brand), if it fits.
I find that quite amusing since I have run K&N filters for 2 lakh + kms.

swarnava.m, The first step in getting a better performance out of your engine is to get it to breath better.

However, a word of caution. There are downsides to a performance filter. Don't give the car to an inexperienced service center for water wash if you fit a universal/conical filter.

But on a final note, I would suggest not to do any modifications to your car if you are half minded about it. Modding is something that should be done if you are entirely sure about what you are doing and take absolute pleasure in doing it.

Last edited by xander : 24th November 2011 at 01:51.
xander is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 15:35   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I find that quite amusing since I have run K&N filters for 2 lakh + kms.

swarnava.m, The first step in getting a better performance out of your engine is to get it to breath better.

However, a word of caution. There are downsides to a performance filter. Don't give the car to an inexperienced service center for water wash if you fit a universal/conical filter.

But on a final note, I would suggest not to do any modifications to your car if you are half minded about it. Modding is something that should be done if you are entirely sure about what you are doing and take absolute pleasure in doing it.
Adding to xander's post here getting the stage 1 mods of having a performance filter with FFE (Suggested to get the complete kick ) is for someone who is fully committed to get the mods done.
Kindly do not venture half-heartedly just because some one else had done it. You need to be convinced about the mods you are getting onto your ride.

And yes as he rightfully pointed out one needs to take care when the car is being washed under the bonnet so be extra careful and the onus of informing the car wash guys is also with the car owner.
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 14:35   #774
BHPian

Quote:
this place does not give you instant answers, and instead, you will leave a more confused person than what you were when you came looking for answers.
Dear Swarnava: One is bound to get confused if he is given too much information in a short time. You will have to digest this information and come to a conclusion yourself.

I am also surprised to read about the negative part of K&N filters. Makes me feel the same as you, only difference is that I am already using them

But I have gone through such 'Knowledge Shots' and its better not to react immediately. One has to apply his own knowledge and sense to get the right answer.
Everyone Opines but very few people will give you 'precise answers' the way you want.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 16:32   #775
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The left tail light of my Alto was punctured
Gansan,

I'm back on this forum after a while. Just wanted to check with you if you have gotten this replaced. I'll be going to a MGP place in Blr to pick up just the lens for my Alto since my RHS one is slightly cracked. The guy told me that it retails for ~Rs. 400 for just the MGP lens assembly

I don't mind checking if they have a LHS one for your car.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 18:31   #776
BHPian

depending on ur lens type I,II,III the cost ranges between 400 to 600 at the lumax shop because the tail lights are made by them for the alto so cheaper than mgp with them.(Mumbai 485 type II clear lens) At lumax .
Old 30th November 2011, 07:35   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Gansan,

I'm back on this forum after a while. Just wanted to check with you if you have gotten this replaced. I'll be going to a MGP place in Blr to pick up just the lens for my Alto since my RHS one is slightly cracked. The guy told me that it retails for ~Rs. 400 for just the MGP lens assembly

I don't mind checking if they have a LHS one for your car.

Cheers,
gpa
Welcome back!

I got the entire left lamp replaced during the 24 month service since they did not have the lens separately. I think I paid Rs 750.00 for it.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 08:20   #778
Senior - BHPian

Mine is the first generation Alto, & the entire backlight (not just the lens) costed me about 550 INR a couple of months back. The brand was Lumax & is exactly the same as the original that came with the car.

I guess, mine would be called type-I.
Old 30th November 2011, 08:22   #779
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Welcome back! I got the entire left lamp replaced during the 24 month service
Thanks. Nice to know you got it replaced. I'll let you know once I have replaced the lens assembly.
Old 30th November 2011, 09:51   #780
Senior - BHPian

^^Get it only from MGA if available, even if the price is higher. Else go for the full lamp. I have seen some Altos with a faded tail lamp on one side! May be they sourced a lens from elsewhere.

Last edited by Gansan : 30th November 2011 at 09:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks