Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2009, 17:28   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Ok before I go the anti-roll bar route, I will get a good strut brace. I have pmed eapen, lets see if he responds.
Glad you contacted him. See if any other guys in your city/nearby too.

Yes, glad you arent running after the sway bar. In any case, a FWD running thick sway bars is a disaster recipe. Especially in the rains.

And oh, I notice, it's 11th already! Enough said then. Waiting for your updates
Old 11th March 2009, 21:23   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Yes, glad you arent running after the sway bar. In any case, a FWD running thick sway bars is a disaster recipe. Especially in the rains.

Hey could you elaborate on that please .. would be an eye opener
Old 11th March 2009, 22:24   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Hey could you elaborate on that please .. would be an eye opener
Sure. The copy of Graham Bell is sitting back home. Give me some time and I will either type out the complete paragraph or post a scan of it.
As far as I remember from memory, Graham Bell explained that an FWD car running too much thick sway bar than OE size in the front will be transformed into a "Twitchy beast" because of traction and wheelspin problems, especially in the rain.
More later.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 11th March 2009 at 22:25.
Old 11th March 2009, 22:53   #199
rippergeo

Quote:
Sure. The copy of Graham Bell is sitting back home. Give me some time and I will either type out the complete paragraph or post a scan of it.
As far as I remember from memory, Graham Bell explained that an FWD car running too much thick sway bar than OE size in the front will be transformed into a "Twitchy beast" because of traction and wheelspin problems, especially in the rain.
More later.
Waiting for more info on that. Neuspeed sells sway bars for the swift that are slightly pricey, but still,affordable, and have been eyeing them for the rear . I was warned about oversteer in that case. So, would appreciate any more info about that.
The swift already has decent sway bars and reasonably flat cornering, but it would be nice to have even lesser body roll while retaining stock ride comfort.

Old 11th March 2009, 23:32   #200
Senior - BHPian

Well i have not had a good experience with the swift.I have a set of turns on a reasonably deserted road here and when i went flat out, all hell broke loose.

With controllable speeds its good but once the speeds reach the limit level on corners the car rolls like its an amby.lol.

I was really taken by surprise there.took tight turns at speeds over 100 and the car held on like on rails but was rolling like anything.
Old 12th March 2009, 00:58   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Not seen many baleno guys run strut brace also, although lots of city guys do run it.
They need it. The City front is not too stiff & needs all the help it can get.
Old 12th March 2009, 01:20   #202
Senior - BHPian

@Diablo, swaybar performance is compared using bar OD. Strut bar will show its real worth on a trackday.
Quote:
its disaster when you go up in the rear..like ripper says below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Waiting for more info on that. Neuspeed sells sway bars for the swift that are slightly pricey, but still,affordable, and have been eyeing them for the rear . I was warned about oversteer in that case.
Is Pete's the dealer for Neuspeed? How much are they?

Last edited by Mpower : 12th March 2009 at 01:24.
Old 13th March 2009, 08:21   #203
BHPian

Finally after lots of sleepless nights and hairpulling, I finally settled on something that I think would work well and last for a long time. Most of the excellent options are beyond affordability and almost 1/4 the cost of my car. Then we are left with choosing between Pedders and Konis, where I felt that Konis will take more abuse.

So here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno Powered by RDDreams - Street Build-koni-sports.jpg  

Old 13th March 2009, 14:12   #204
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Is Pete's the dealer for Neuspeed? How much are they?
Yes it's Pete's. I was told 13k, which I hope is for both front and rear together. Will check with him again.
Problem is, the front holds steady, its the rear of the car which leans alarmingly at 100 plus speeds. So I will need stiffer anti roll bars in the rear, if that makes the car unpredictably tail happy, i'll be in trouble.
Stiffer springs and dampers would be best, but my wife will ask for separation if I try something like that on top of the rim upsize I'm planning.
I'm wondering if its all worth it, considering that the car gets driven with very hard cornering only twice or thrice a month on the ghats.

@crazy diablo- Waiting for a review on the konis comfort levels vs handling compromise. And its true what you said- the really good suspension setups are all close to 1/4th the price of the car.

Last edited by rippergeo : 13th March 2009 at 14:15.

Old 13th March 2009, 20:40   #205
BHPian

Sure I will write a review. I am driving down to kerala next month so its probably the best time to write a review about the new clutch, brake pads, suspension and ofcourse the Neovas. Would probably take a deroute to Munnar, just to put the suspension and tyres to the test.
Old 13th March 2009, 20:51   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would probably take a deroute to Munnar, just to put the suspension and tyres to the test.
Come over for the track day for testing suspension. It's the ultimate test.
A small weakness in the handling is magnified on the track.
Old 13th March 2009, 22:50   #207
Senior - BHPian

diablo, are those FSDs?
Old 13th March 2009, 23:22   #208
Senior - BHPian

cool drool....eagerly waiting for the review.
Old 14th March 2009, 22:10   #209
BHPian

Couldnt wait to get the install, so morning 9 o clock the work started. Straight 8 hours in the workshop am exhausted as hell. Finally done at 5 o clock in the evening, head straight for alignment. Thanks to Nikhil, its done quickly and now its time to act silly.

Oh boy these are really worth it, if Konis are like this I cant even imagine what the high end setups would be like. But I find these perfect for the streets. These were fitted straight out of the box, or stock factory settings, which supposed to be softest. This is the setting Konis tuned/valves to the stock springs and are sporty but not uncomfortable. And thats exactly what it is. Its definitely firm but not uncomfortable. Wifey did not complain nor could feel much difference in comfort. So that passes the test.

For just street driving install these as it is. Dont stiffen, unless you hit the track. Though dead tired, I could not wait till tomorrow to test it. So hit the ring road to have some initial feedback.

1.Comfort is good. Except low speed gutters.
2. Amazing cornering. Sticks to the lane.
3. Super quick lane changes.
4. You can blast through rough patches. Inspires rally style driving.

More to come after long distance testing. I have been reading suspension articles like crazy, but all the theory thrown out the door, this is real stuff. I have to write why some of the stuff you read online will not work, but thats for another day, after some playing around with the setup.

I would rate this as one of the best mods done on the car.
Old 14th March 2009, 22:56   #210
Senior - BHPian

that's nice setup. I don't think these are FSDs are they? congrats..enjoy...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks