Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2014, 11:25   #241
BHPian

Re: BMW 5 series - ICE, BSI aftercare packages & other post purchase queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I will still suggest you to opt for 2 or maximum 3 Years in beginning . As explained you can always extend this package . Who knows after 3 Years you have itching to upgrade ........................................

I have owned 320D , 530D , X5 & X6 . I sold 3 series & X5 before they crossed 30,000 KM , all of these have been trouble free & almost as or more reliable than any other Cars My past cars include Pajero , Fortuner, Innova , CRV .
That's an impressive collection of cars you've got there. Thanks for sharing you feedback about BMW after sales and the durability of the Vehicle. I'm sure to hold the car for minimum 5 yrs as I don't change my cars before that period.

As luck would have it I got a mail from BMW stating that a new BSI for 3yrs/40,000 kms for Rs. 1,27,528/ has been introduced which is ideal for me. But was just considering of taking the full 5yr protection in the begining and be at peace. But whats your opinion on this new BSI. The cost is coming out to be Rs. 3.18/km.
Old 4th March 2014, 14:09   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
new BSI for 3yrs/40,000 kms for Rs. 1,27,528/ has been introduced which is ideal for me
Just check what are exclusions & how does this compare to Ultimate or is this same but with less mileage . I have never calculated costs of these packages per Km perse , in my opinion biggest ownership costs is depreciation , did you thought how much will you lose on 60 Lac in 3 Years / 40000 Km ? and if get in all these calculations we will never buy any thing .
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2014, 16:45   #243
BHPian

I apologise if this question has been asked before - but I am finalising a deal for a 5er and the dealer has quoted the following:

RSA (Road side assistance package) for 4 years - Rs 11,235/-
BMW Secure Premium (1st year) - Rs 47,685/-
BMW RI (This is new terminology for BSI?) - Rs 1,37,038 for 3 yrs 40K Km and Rs 3,47,979 for 5 yrs 60K Km.

My question is are all these worth it? I plan to keep the car for 4 to 5 years, mostly self driven.
Old 15th December 2014, 18:17   #244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BMW RI (This is new terminology for BSI?) - Rs 1,37,038 for 3 yrs 40K Km and Rs 3,47,979 for 5 yrs 60K Km.
Yes , kind of - they now offer BSI as a standalone Maintenance Pack or Extended warranty

RI - Extended Warranty
Service Inclusive / Service Inclusive Plus - Maintenance Package

will suggest you to opt for 3 Year RI + Service inclusive plus which you can upgrade to 5 Years depending on your milage at later date , to best of my information Road Side is included for first 2 Years and is also covered under additional warranty if you buy BSI pack .

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th December 2014 at 18:18.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 10:47   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Yes , kind of - they now offer BSI as a standalone Maintenance Pack or Extended warranty

RI - Extended Warranty
Service Inclusive / Service Inclusive Plus - Maintenance Package

will suggest you to opt for 3 Year RI + Service inclusive plus which you can upgrade to 5 Years depending on your milage at later date , to best of my information Road Side is included for first 2 Years and is also covered under additional warranty if you buy BSI pack .
RI stands for Repair Inclusive.

Road-side Assistance (RSA) has to be bought separately, it's not available as a bundle with any of the BSI/BRI packages. It's provided as standard on all BMW cars for the 1nd and 2nd year.

However, it is available on certain BMW Secure packs, which is the additional insurance coverage available from BMW.
Old 16th December 2014, 11:18   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
RI stands for Repair Inclusive.
Yes but only limited to Warranty Repairs - under New or Extended Warranty

Service Plus & Basic - Two different Packages for regular schedule maintenance

RSA - Standard 2 years with new purchase , thereafter dependent on Insurance

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th December 2014 at 11:37.
Old 19th December 2020, 19:17   #247

Not 5 series owner. Bought the X1 sDrive 20d xLine in Jan 2020 and my insurance is up for renewal shortly.

Quick background:
- 1st-time luxury car buyer (if you classify the X1 to be a luxury vehicle).
- Couldn't drive beyond 5,000kms in the last 12 months due to Covid and WFH.
- Will be going in for my 1st service next month.
- Car being driven in city conditions with infrequent highway drives in areas surrounding Mumbai.

Question: Should I go for the BMW Secure program for the 2nd year (1st year came in free) - Is it worth the cost?
- Secure adding almost INR 30,000 to my insurance cost.
- Carried forward the 50% NCB from my previous car last year. Will get a 50% NCB even this year.
- Not very happy with the run-flats (yyre noise + stiff ride), don't know whether I will replace my tyres with run-flats again hence may never require the tread wear measure.

Thank you in advance.

Note from Support: Typos fixed. Please run a spell-checker. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 19th December 2020 at 21:58. Reason: See note.
Old 20th December 2020, 13:53   #248
BHPian

Just came accross this thread after 10 years ! the orginal thread starter now has a full bmw garage ! Including the M2 Competition,X4,X5,X7 and couple of bmw bikes too !
muneemmk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 12:12   #249
BHPian

Adding to this thread instead of creating a new one, as this seemed most appropriate for my query.

We have paid the downpayment for X1 sDrive20i XLine (Petrol) today. Should have the car in a few days.

It will be driven by my wife and will be mostly used for city driving in Gurgaon and perhaps an occasional trip out of the city. I think it will clock around 10K Kms per year.

I am wondering I should be opting for BSI Basic or Plus? I can see that over and above the Basic, Plus covers brake discs and brake pads replacement, clutch replacement and a wiper replacement once every year. The price difference is about 41K for the 3rd year.

I am also wondering if I should just pay the 4 year BRI + 4/5 year BSI (minor difference in BSI between 4th and 5th years) or renew it later? Have there been steep price escalations in the past that might make paying upfront advantageous?

The 5th and 6th year BRI and 6th year BSI show steep jumps so I will probably revisit that decision later. I guess that's the time when the car might be most susceptible to failures

Would appreciate any guidance.

Thank you.

PS: Attaching a price reference (excludes 18% GST)

X1 Petrol

BSI
3year/40Kms 32,800 (Basic) 66,000(Plus)
4years/60Kms 60,300 (Basic) 1,26,400 (Plus)
5years/60Kms 61,500 (Basic) 1,29,400 (Plus)
6years/120Kms 1,23,400 (Basic) 2,30,300 (Plus)

BRI/Extended Warranty
3 years - 27,700/-
4 years - 61,800/-
5 years - 1,20,900/-
6 years - 2,44,400/-
Old 19th February 2021, 19:40   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraf_suman View Post
We have paid the downpayment for X1 sDrive20i XLine (Petrol) today.

I think it will clock around 10K Kms per year.
You should opt for BSI given the running and I would suggest to go for BSI Plus 10 years / 1 Lakh Kms. This is the best VFM package. Plus when you sell car, it could fetch a better resale because of 10 yr package.

BRI 6 yrs is recommended. With Germans maximum warranty is always advisable.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 20:54   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We have paid the downpayment for X1 sDrive20i XLine (Petrol) today. Should have the car in a few days
Congratulations! That was pretty quick, you have posted recently asking for some suggestions I recollect.

One suggestion, as a new owner, you will get BMW Secure, engine hydrostatic failures are covered in this so don't opt additionally in Insurance premium. It costs a couple of thousands which you can save.

Quote:
I am wondering I should be opting for BSI Basic or Plus?
Nothing, repair costs of BMW are pretty economical and if you check the estimates carefully and go for only mandatory service, you won't need either. If you must go, you can decide later next Year when your vehicle is due for the service.

Quote:
I am also wondering if I should just pay the 4 year BRI
Extended warranties are nice but go for 3rd Year only currently. You can take a call before the end of the warranty. I don't think prices will increase too much.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 22:02   #252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We have paid the downpayment for X1 sDrive20i XLine (Petrol) today. Should have the car in a few days.
Congrats. I too read your "what to buy" thread and this is a great choice.

Conventional wisdom is as follows:

1. BSI is just a prepayment of what you are likely to pay for service. Good if you clock 20K+ km per year, not so good if it is less than 10K km per year. If you don't take BSI, make sure you maintain a habit to review and approve all service jobs to avoid needless service jobs.

2. Extended warranty is a proper risk coverage and it is advisable to have the car under warranty as long as it is possible. As an experienced and cautious driver, I value warranty more than own damage insurance :-) You may consider things like how long you intent to own and when is the cut off to buy warranty extensions.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks