Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2008, 01:15   #91
BHPian

Guys, I my 530d Highline this evening. ( Monaco Blue with Natural Brown interiors )

Got the bluetooth kit fitted which was about Rs. 40,750/-; works seamlessly with the iDrive !!

Need to take a long drive on the weekend to fully experience the car.
Also, am yet to take a decision on the BSI package, will do so next week.

Cheers !
Old 11th October 2008, 01:59   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Guys, I my 530d Highline this evening. ( Monaco Blue with Natural Brown interiors )

Got the bluetooth kit fitted which was about Rs. 40,750/-; works seamlessly with the iDrive !!

Need to take a long drive on the weekend to fully experience the car.
Also, am yet to take a decision on the BSI package, will do so next week.

Cheers !
Ecclipse78 could you please find out if they could provide me with the bluetooth kit if i provide my chassis number

My dealer in cochin seems to find it difficult to get the kit

thanks
Old 11th October 2008, 02:37   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

they seem to have slashed prices on the Bluetooth. 40k is a neat price!
Old 11th October 2008, 13:43   #94
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
530d 261,200 356,600
Looks like BMW have picked up one too many from Mercedes on how to milk customers! Doesn't anyone else think that this is ridiculously overpriced?

3.57 lakhs for a 5 year ownership plan equates to about 70 grand per year. And I can tell you that the 5 series diesel isn't going to cost you 70,000 per year in upkeep. Yes, I do understand that brake pads, discs & wipers are included in the package. That's only to make it look more attractive. You won't need more than 3 changes of your brake pads in 1.0 L kms (aggressive driving). And a set of wiper blades don't cost more than 2,000 - 4,000 for a set.

I was hoping that BMW would come in and set Merc right on their exhorbitant ownership costs. It is evident now that they are partners in crime. @ Audi : Here is the differentiator you were looking for.
Old 11th October 2008, 15:14   #95
Senior - BHPian

I doubt Audi will do that. After all, nobody wants a cheap luxury car
Old 11th October 2008, 17:08   #96
BHPian

sujithnk, I will check with my BMW chap on Monday.

Please PM me your chasis no.
Old 11th October 2008, 23:55   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

3.57 lakhs for a 5 year ownership plan equates to about 70 grand per year. And I can tell you that the 5 series diesel isn't going to cost you 70,000 per year in upkeep. Yes, I do understand that brake pads, discs & wipers are included in the package. That's only to make it look more attractive. You won't need more than 3 changes of your brake pads in 1.0 L kms (aggressive driving). And a set of wiper blades don't cost more than 2,000 - 4,000 for a set.
But how about if we require a complete suspension job (or two for aggressive driving) oveer a span of 5 years or 100,000 Kms? How about the injectors calling in for a change knowing the diesel we have from our fuel stations? What if a Turbo, a control unit, an alternator, battery or worse still the gearbox goes kaput in the 3rd, 4th or 5th year?

I guess these are difficult questions to answer...as well as it will be difficult to find that kind of money for any expensive repairs when the 3+ year old beamer is not new any more! That way...I guess 3.7 lacs is still understandable (<10% of the capital cost)...

To top it, I am aiming to recover 1 lac+ as premium (over a non BSI beamer) when I put my BSI maintained 530d into the used car market! This does make a lot of sense to me.
Old 12th October 2008, 14:04   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
But how about if we require a complete suspension job (or two for aggressive driving) oveer a span of 5 years or 100,000 Kms?
I doubt wear & tear parts like suspension components are covered. Else, they would have mentioned it alongwith the brakepads in that list. Tyres are wear & tear too. Replacing 5 seats would run their bank account dry!

Quote:
.How about the injectors calling in for a change knowing the diesel we have from our fuel stations?
NO manufacturer covers damage caused by bad fuel. Look around the forum, several incidents reported where bad / premium fuel damage was repaired at the owners cost. Including one of a 530D.

Quote:
What if a Turbo, a control unit, an alternator, battery or worse still the gearbox goes kaput in the 3rd, 4th or 5th year?
Agreed, but that's a risk anyone lives with. Isn't it? The probability of a turbo or alternator going wrong is in your favour anyways. However, I do agree with you on the fact that if a substantially expensive component does fail, the 3.5 lakh rupee coverage has paid for itself.

Again, I doubt the battery is covered. The onus of replacement is always on the battery manufacturer.

Quote:
To top it, I am aiming to recover 1 lac+ as premium (over a non BSI beamer) when I put my BSI maintained 530d into the used car market! This does make a lot of sense to me.
As long as the car has been maintained at an authorised BMW outlet, I don't see why a BSI maintained car will command a premium. We have to understand that the difference here is not in the quality of work done, rather who has paid for it.

Let's get some clarifications so we can gauge if the service package @ 3.5 lakhs is worth it. Until these come in, I am convinced that they are an absolute ripoff. Like I said earlier, BMW is walking down the road built by Mercedes in exploiting its customers:

1. What parts are covered in the 5 year package? Is it an absolute bumper-to-bumper replacement guarantee where parts of the suspension (dampers, bushes etc.), air-con (including gas charging) and battery covered? Even if the part has drained its useable life due to normal wear & tear?

2. Are the fuel pump, injectors & filters replaced for no charge, even if they are damaged by bad fuel?

3. What are the exact service costs, without these extended plans, of each service upto 1,00,000 kms?

4. Is the service coverage transferable if you sell your car prior to its expiry?

5. Any deductibles if an expensive component is replaced?

6. What if you marginally soup up your BMW. Say upgraded rubber (upsize or a move from runflats to regular tyres). What is the effect on coverage?

If you want absolute peace of the mind, leasing is an option too; maintaining & repairing is the lessors headache. Plus, a business owner can write off lease cheques as a cost, thus (net net) gaining a 30% tax benefit. I remember BMW tying up with a leasing company and offering some lucrative rates.
Old 12th October 2008, 15:06   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Gto- a little correction there...the 530d that I had posted about was not repaired under warranty because it had additives in it's fuel. However I'm not 100% sure if they would have covered it due to just bad fuel.
Old 12th October 2008, 20:41   #100
BHPian

GTO - You made me a bit restless...but now it is fine

I have a BSI+R pack for my car. The following is checked & pleasantly confirmed.

All wear & tear parts (including suspension) are covered in the above package. Tyres are specifically excluded though.

Damage caused by Bad fuel is specifically excluded as well. But I understand that ... say for a 4 year used injector if it fails, the company cannot say that that it is caused by bad fuel. If I have a unit packing up in the first year, a rejection is understandable but there is still a leeway with a sufficiently used injector.

Battery is covered as well. Who takes the ticket does not bother me as long as the dealer is not looking at my purse!

"Agreed, but that's a risk anyone lives with. Isn't it? The probability of a turbo or alternator going wrong is in your favour anyways." ... I recommend that during the next visit, you have a look at the scrap storage place of the dealership. This was my personal initiative & one of the deciding factors for buying the risk cover BSI+R.

This text answers the first two points. For the 3rd point, since the Beamers have CBS for maintenance, it is extremely difficult to arrive at the exact service cost.

Point 4: BSI+R sticks to the car! It therefore gets passed on to the next owner.

Point 5: No deductibles for expensive components.

Point 6: Changing of any factory spec/soup ups are not covered. In short, any accessories BMW/non BMW fitted onto the car are not covered.

Regarding leasing option, I'd prefer dealing with the manufacturer directly than dealing with Oryx etc for the simple reason that 'the longer the supply chain, the higher the costs'
Old 13th October 2008, 00:48   #101
BHPian

I had replaced 2 tyres which would have costed me 44000 approx..
for which i paid 800*2 . thats for the balancing.

Had a small issue with the steering (small rattling sound when i turn left).
some issue with some component which would have cost me around 20000 INR.

They just replaced it and i dint have to pay a penny.

So i think its worth taking all the packages cause i just saved 44000+20000=64000 .

I would being a BMW owner definitely recommend taking BSI and SECURE.

its easy to point out in pure costing ways that its not worth it etc etc but when u own a car and have these packages what in turn it does is gives u a stress free life a head

any other car i take for service i just have loads of tension till i get my estimate but in BMW i just leave the car and come back in the evening and everything is solved .

More important is that BMW is doing all the replacement in very short notice quite impressive i should say.

Quite happy i took all the packages.

Last edited by sujithnk : 13th October 2008 at 00:51.
Old 13th October 2008, 13:41   #102
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the clarifications, Beamerboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
What parts are covered in the 5 year package? Is it an absolute bumper-to-bumper replacement guarantee where parts of the suspension (dampers, bushes etc.), air-con (including gas charging) and battery covered? Even if the part has drained its useable life due to normal wear & tear?
=

Quote:
All wear & tear parts (including suspension) are covered in the above package. Tyres are specifically excluded though.
Quote:
Battery is covered as well. Who takes the ticket does not bother me as long as the dealer is not looking at my purse!
Quote:
Is the service coverage transferable if you sell your car prior to its expiry?
=

Quote:
BSI+R sticks to the car! It therefore gets passed on to the next owner.
Quote:
Any deductibles if an expensive component is replaced?
=

Quote:
No deductibles for expensive components.
Quote:
For the 3rd point, since the Beamers have CBS for maintenance, it is extremely difficult to arrive at the exact service cost.
We can assume a service interval of 10,000 kms? What are the costs then? Or for typical Indian usage? I am still eager to know just how much it costs to service a BMW.

I have to admit : After receiving answers to all my queries, the service package definitely seems to be worth the extra dough. Hell, replacing a worn out suspension itself will run into a lakh of rupees; something a 5 will definitely require by 50 - 60K kms.

BMW is doing a remarkable job in India on yet another count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujithnk View Post
Had a small issue with the steering (small rattling sound when i turn left).
some issue with some component which would have cost me around 20000 INR.
Isn’t your car relatively new? It would be covered by the standard factory warranty anyways. We are discussing the extended coverage here.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2008 at 13:44.
Old 13th October 2008, 13:51   #103
BHPian

Evening though my running would be around 6000 to 8000 kms per year, I am leaning towards the BSI Platinum package now.

Seems to offer complete peace of mind, at a small premium.
Old 13th October 2008, 17:24   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Evening though my running would be around 6000 to 8000 kms per year
If I had someone covering my car for 5 years / 100,000 kms...believe you me, I'd be driving everywhere! Even to the back lane!
Old 14th October 2008, 11:27   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I had someone covering my car for 5 years / 100,000 kms...believe you me, I'd be driving everywhere! Even to the back lane!
GTO i totally agree i am just driving the engine off my car.

well yes the steering problem was covered by warranty but that would have come under BSI if it had occurred during a later period .

Just because its a premuim vehicle doesnt mean it is not prone to faults .
whatever said its a machine and are prone to faults .

so i would definitely suggest BSI

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks