Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2008, 14:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, torque-power curves are supposed to done on an engine dynamometer.
So what they showed there must have been WHP (considering they were using a chassis dyno), so add another 12-15% to that figure. Hehe

But frankly, if the RS500 is only producing 400nm, then it needs to revv beyond 7500rpm to produce 500bhp.

This Civic had 65kgm (650nm) of torque at the wheels and still only 567-585bhp@6600 something rpm.

Shan2nu
Old 28th October 2008, 14:51   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
If this car is still a FWD then the whole point of performance is lost. Rem the 300bhp version which did some 8 secs to 100.

It may have more power than a GTR but that thing does 0-100 in 3.5 secs and a 11.5 sec 1/4.

As an engine tune alone, what Pete's has done here is really creditable (provided the 500 horses are genuine), no denying that. 500bhp from a 1.8 is way more than anything we've seen here.

BTW, whats the max torque like and at what rpm does the power peak?

Shan2nu
Actually I'm afraid if you are the one, losing the point here. The GTR was born with one intention- to beat the 911. The RS 500 on the other hand wasn't. This car is not a GTR. Nor does it pretend to be one. And in all probability it won't stack up very well against the 10 best supercars in their fastest laps around the Nurburgring, without killing you. It's still front wheel drive which everyone knows is not the best layout to lay down all that power. The chassis was born to be a practical four door saloon(semi-notchback if you insist) and whatever you do, it will not able to harness the power like a racecar.

What Petes has done is make a standard Octavia produce a supercar rivalling 500bhp. Without losing none of the practicality factor; it still carries four people and all their luggage. The 0-100kmph times are somewhat marred by the FWD layout. But it is definitely faster than anything you would normally encounter on the road. It can reach insane speeds in no time. It can scare your friends in the backseats. Think of it as a 911 beater or GTR hunter and you are losing the point. Think of it as the fastest Octavia RS in India and it all begins to make sense. It is not designed to put down the best 0-100kmph times. Nor the best lap times. It's a 500bhp FWD family saloon.

Why, you may ask? Because the person who ordered his car liked it this way. He didnt want a GTR because he already has one. He wanted a car that looks ordinary but goes like a rocket. Something which he cam take everywhere without worrying about people putting their paw marks. Something in which can throw nasty surprises when you press the pedal. You get the idea. It's the best stealth missile. And you dont have to spend supercar amounts to get this.

As for the 8seconds timing of the 300bhp car, it's mostly due to the condition it was in, at that time. It was down on power thanks to a burnt clutch, a defective intercooler and the extremely hot climate. Autocar had taken all these into consideration and mentioned these in their article. I too was present at the track in Coimbatore and remebered that the car didnt feel as powerful as when i drove it before that.
Old 28th October 2008, 15:06   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What Petes has done is make a standard Octavia produce a supercar rivalling 500bhp.
On a spec sheet, yes.

Lets wait for the dyno and vbox figs. Only then will we know the actual potential of this car. But you got to admit, had this been an AWD, the acc would have been so much more better.

Shan2nu
Old 28th October 2008, 15:10   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Tall claims, I for one think that this is one of the most pointless mods...It's one of those things that screams "mine's bigger than yours"!

500bhp even if true and dyno proven is utterly useless on a FWD Skoda! 300-350 ok fine it can handle it, but more than that is just stupid. I doubt you could pull a 0-100 dash in 5 seconds as this thing will probably wheel spin in every gear if launched at the peak of the powerband!

Anyway, I doubt the owner would dyno this thing at Karan's as he probably knows he's going to walk away depressed

That is one serious modification to an Octavia RS, no questioning that! Cannot call it pointless really, can you? It depends on the type of person you are. Jack may never understand the use of a hardcore gaming computer when all he plays is solitaire that comes with the windows OS, would he?

On the flip side, I agree with you. Ya...most of that would go wasted in a performance test. It may not be able to show a good 0-100kmph time against RWD or AWD machines of similar power output. But then this car is not used to show its talent in 0-100kmph times. Once it gets rolling and the wheel spin is over, it really goes. On a highway, the results will be good. A 300bhp car will have only that much performance, isnt it? With some skill, you can catch almost anything (barring the best supercars) with this one.

My post earlier explains the idea behind this car. Hope you go through that one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
On a spec sheet, yes.

Lets wait for the dyno and vbox figs. Only then will we know the actual potential of this car. But you got to admit, had this been an AWD, the acc would have been so much more better.

Shan2nu
Agree with you on that. Had it been AWD, it would perform better. May be an Audi Quattro as the donor car would have done it. But I told you, no one wanted to have a supercar for VW Passat money. Didn't bother adapting an AWD for the Octy. So there it remains- a usable four door super saloon with just an FWD. And not to forget, some 500bhp.

On the specsheets. I never said anything else.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th October 2008 at 15:52. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button.
Old 28th October 2008, 15:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree with Vivekji05. As he pointed out, no one is trying to prove this can mince the GTR or 911. All that has been done is, that a stock RS has been re-built to run like no other Octavia or other cars that are way more expensive.

It is a stealth build, there are no stickers making tall claims, neither does the outside look any different from a normal RS.

Then why are there so many people trying to say things which the gentleman is neither claiming nor pretending about.

Nice fast car. Period !!!

Cheers
Old 28th October 2008, 16:13   #36
BHPian

This thread is rather unfortunate. I mean, build a "500bhp" RS, and every other post is questioning the claims?

While I continue to be a big fan of Petes products, it is probably a bad idea to stake these claims without providing any direct or indirect evidence.

You see, there is no difference between these "Adding 10 or 15 bhp more has never been a problem with any car but how about a whole lot more? 350bhp to be precise?", and what the previous generations of tuners(most, not all) were doing in India.

Why would you want to fritter away the great name/goodwill you have generated among car enthusiasts with loose statement like these - "350bhp to be precise?"
Old 28th October 2008, 16:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then why are there so many people trying to say things which the gentleman is neither claiming nor pretending about.
Thats bcoz the claims haven't been backed up with dyno results or acc figures. And we very well know that claimed figures can never be taken seriously.

2ndly, FWDs are nowhere as efficient as RWD/AWD in putting down their power.

Forget the R35, lets take the Civic Type R as the benchmark. This car has 215nm, 225bhp, 0-100 5.8 secs, 1/4 mile 13.9 secs, power to weight ratio 177bhp/ton.

A stock RS i think is around 1280kgs, chalo lets make it 1400kgs considering the weight of the mods. So a 500bhp car weighing 1400kgs will have a power to weight ratio of 357bhp/ton.

So what we need to see is, how much of a diff there is between a 177bhp/ton civic type r and a skoda RS which has 2 times the p/w ratio.

This should be an interesting test.

Shan2nu
Old 28th October 2008, 16:24   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

With all due respect to Peter and his boys, but vivek you ought to know that FIGURES are JUST THAT. There is no point having 1000 bhp and it keeps wheel spinning all the way down the quarter mile or from Bombay to Pune. Its all the more pointless to have 500 bhp but be able to use maybe just 200 of those wild horses as the rest are spent in burning rubber or the driver doesn't have the guts to use them.

Having 500 horses and not being able to use them is like having a Ferrari F1 car parked in your garage and watching it parked all your life.

Peter, from next time onwards kindly put better people to review such cars without making silly comparisons to 911s or GTR's or keep harping about the lack of power being put down on the road as an achievement. I know your work is much better than that and such description of your work actually kind of steals the limelight to all the hard work put in by you and your boys.

I have seen Mathew drive the pants of the 300bhp RS in Bangalore. Least to say I was impressed, very impressed. I can only imagine what this car would do with probably the AWD incorporated from their bigger brothers.

500 horses on FWD is utter useless, I am sure you know it as much as we all do. How about educating the owner to see if an AWD/4WD convert can be managed?

All that said, we still stand up and salute you for the change that Pete's has bought about to the Indian tuning scene. Specially with the diesels and the way you have built up a reputation for the company across the length and breadth of the country. Please don't let it go to waste with such reviews.
Old 28th October 2008, 17:18   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
With all due respect to Peter and his boys, but vivek you ought to know that FIGURES are JUST THAT. There is no point having 1000 bhp and it keeps wheel spinning all the way down the quarter mile or from Bombay to Pune. Its all the more pointless to have 500 bhp but be able to use maybe just 200 of those wild horses as the rest are spent in burning rubber or the driver doesn't have the guts to use them.

Having 500 horses and not being able to use them is like having a Ferrari F1 car parked in your garage and watching it parked all your life.

Peter, from next time onwards kindly put better people to review such cars without making silly comparisons to 911s or GTR's or keep harping about the lack of power being put down on the road as an achievement. I know your work is much better than that and such description of your work actually kind of steals the limelight to all the hard work put in by you and your boys.

I have seen Mathew drive the pants of the 300bhp RS in Bangalore. Least to say I was impressed, very impressed. I can only imagine what this car would do with probably the AWD incorporated from their bigger brothers.

500 horses on FWD is utter useless, I am sure you know it as much as we all do. How about educating the owner to see if an AWD/4WD convert can be managed?

All that said, we still stand up and salute you for the change that Pete's has bought about to the Indian tuning scene. Specially with the diesels and the way you have built up a reputation for the company across the length and breadth of the country. Please don't let it go to waste with such reviews.
Ok, let's get a few things clear. One, this was my opinion and I wrote it just the way I felt it. Secondly, it has nothing to do with Peter who you said 'made me write' this for publicity( He may get some publicity or like you said lose it as a consequence). And thirdly, you should go through it all over again. I never said it compares with the GTR or the 911(except the power output of the engines). I said it's not a GTR rival, very clearly, and yet you blame me for comparing. Honestly I don't understand where you got this idea when I was calling 'lack of putting down power as an achievement' because if that is the idea I conveyed, then i should take a quick crash course in article writing. Or alternatively, there is a course on learning to read and comprehend, for you.

I'm not here to fight and establish that this Octavia with 500bhp is way better than a GTR. I never said it was close. I clearly said it has limitations and explained them. But what is the harm in having an Octavia with 500bhp? I see many of you are irritated by just knowing that this car exists.

Yes, to show you proof we have not dyno tested the car. The claimed figures are Peter's. And these are the similar mods done by UK tuners which have been dyno tested to produce the figures claimed here.

I'm no human dyno and all i can have is the feel of the car. And yes, those 'FIGURES' and believe them blindly. You didnt ask for proof when your school teacher first told you the Earth is round, did you?

Now for the point of having 500bhp and FWD. Forget 0-100kmph and 1/4mile times which are established benchmarks of testing the cars. The person who uses this car doesnt get up each morning trying to beat the previous day's 0-100kmph times. He needed oomph on the expressway and with these mods he got that in plenty. He may be using that or like you colourfully said 'may have put his F1 car in the garage', who bothers. If he likes it that way and has got it done, why should anyone else complain about it? That too for a missing dyno-graph?

All I did was tell you that there is a 500bhp car out there(I could have told you a month ago, too but then you would lose your sleep). Why is everyone telling me that 500horses in a FWD are useless over and over again?

Afterall, I didn't make the car. You don't drive it. It's between two others and you are fighting with me..
Old 28th October 2008, 17:35   #40
Senior - BHPian

This cant be the only 2liter Skoda in the world any way right?

Skoda Fabia | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express
Old 28th October 2008, 17:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
I see many of you are irritated by just knowing that this car exists.

You didnt ask for proof when your school teacher first told you the Earth is round, did you?

Afterall, I didn't make the car. You don't drive it. It's between two others and you are fighting with me..
ROFL, my friend, well nice to know such cars and tuners exist this side of the round earth!

But, What ECM was it running and how was the mapping? Just to get an idea!

Thanks for sharing the "bling"
Old 28th October 2008, 17:39   #42
Senior - BHPian

How much boost is she putting out? Frankly I expected a huge front mount intercooler but I dont see anything.
Old 28th October 2008, 17:40   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
This cant be the only 2liter Skoda in the world any way right?

Skoda Fabia | Auto Express News | News | Auto Express
Nice find. But the RS is a 1.8turbo petrol.
Old 28th October 2008, 17:42   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Vivek, I am sure there are plenty others out there trying to tell you exactly what I am saying. Your review (some lines of it actually) kind of actually tarnishes the good work Peter and his boys have put in.

Quote:
I see many of you are irritated by just knowing that this car exists.
you are really unbelievable. Trust me, we are not IRRITATED. We believe in seeing is believing after all that we have gone through in the Indian tuning scene over the past few years and I am sure Peter knows this funda too well (he is one of those who started showing dyno graphs to his customers, which was unknown in this scene before). And trust me Vivek, some of us here have seen quite a lot.

Quote:
He needed oomph on the expressway and with these mods he got that in plenty.
I really hope that owner knows how to drive. If not, its not oooommpphhh. More like a death wish to be driving one of these monsters in the wrong hands.

Quote:
All I did was tell you that there is a 500bhp car out there
You should have done it a bit more tastefully then Vivek.
Old 28th October 2008, 17:43   #45
BHPian

Vivekji
You're missing the point!

The point that mclaren and many others including myself were trying to make is that this car is essentially all show and no go! [For once not in the looks department, but it's the hype!]

What we're trying to express is the futility of this mod. Ok even if you do prove it on the dyno, lets take a 15% drivetrain loss, it then puts out 425whp. With that kind of power in the Octavia, I suppose a regular RS with a simple remap, say 200whp will whoop this car left right and centre on a drag strip or a track!

Reason is simple, power delivery is better as there is less wheelspin, and the car can actually handle that kind of power. Therefore building a 500hp octavia to do the same job as one with only 200 is utterly useless!!!

The other thing that has irked many a reader is that this 500HP exact round figure is just random, please back it with some sort of standard measure. A chassis dyno or an engine dyno. Gtech and Vbox will be useless here, as it will just show how pointless the car is with abysmal figures...

Lastly WRT to your opening post, a better donor car would be the 1.8TPi and not the RS and you're already changing the suspension and brakes, so might as well save a few lakhs, get an aftermarket body kit and xenons with projectors for the TPi...

cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks