Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 00:32   #166

Here we go Again!! Vivek, Just let it be, arguing sometimes is just not worth it! Mods, It is my sincere request to Shut this thread!
Old 30th December 2008, 02:08   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
ok let me ask a question...lets say we dyno this car and we find out that its not actually 500 bhp, lets say its more like 350 bhp, what then?? would we start questioning the timings it has clocked??
We say the timings are pretty spot on for that kind of power, but 14L is too much a price.

Quote:
or lets say if its indeed around 500 bhp after we dyno it what then?? would we start bashing the car that its not good enough to utilize those horses and the timings are nothing to write home about??
Exactly. But I will commend the effort that went into it. If you have money to burn, why not go ahead and do it? This is coming from someone who wants to swap in a frankenstein K20/K24 engine into his Civic and turbo it.

Quote:
where are we heading??
lets just accept the fact that here's a potential car which for around 20L+ (7L for used vRS + 14L for the mods done) can outperform cars of double and even triple times more cost. Its a car which can beat almost most of the cars on Indian roads...500 bhp or not.
And last how long? It will require race fuel, trips to the service center every 2 meters and have a power band that makes diesels seem like VTECs. A similar Beemer for example, will last for ages, have better creature comforts and.... and... well, I could go on endlessly.

The point is, there isn't one.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 30th December 2008 at 02:18.
Old 30th December 2008, 06:11   #168
BHPian

The problem is everyone on the arguing side is probably wanting to hear that this car has less than 500bhp because they think this is impossible. More so because they haven't seen the dyno chart...not because it has never been dynoed (and the remap has been proved to produce 500bhp).

Besides, 0-100kmph times do matter if every single drive that person does is a drag race. On an empty expressway where in-gear accelerations are concerned this one absolutely fits. Even the narrow powerband is usable given a suitably long road like the expressway. Though it is not an impressive start, once on the move, it is faster than everything around. That is reason enough for the man to be satisfied in the way his Rs. 14lakhs has been spent. Unlike some of us here, his life is probably not empty enough to be too botherd about 0-100kmph timings or 'oh so manyof my 500 bhpees are going waste. This might be pointless'. What he wanted was to make his Octy powerful and he got that in bucketloads !

Yes, he did not first convert his car into a Beemer and then bump up the power to 500bhp so that it would last longer!
Come on everyone. All of you who cannot probably afford to have something like this would say it is utterly useless. But think of someone who has the money to spend inventing new ways of spending it on a car he already owns and probably loves to drive more often.

If you critics saw this report in Autocar india first, you probably wouldn't open your mouth. I don't think you would ask them to verify the claims first then give you the report. Someone in team-bhp gave you the review three months ago and instead of showing a little appreciation for the effort, you throw up a fight. Do it with Autocar, after all that is what you paid to read. Not this one.

Last edited by vivekji05 : 30th December 2008 at 06:22.
Old 30th December 2008, 08:28   #169
Senior - BHPian

well just to qoute one user here who says 14 lakhs here is too much to spend to get this kind of performance.

well frankly i have seen tuners here who charge upto 5 lakhs for a turbo job.and when you take your prized car to the drag or the track, it blows up.this is not just a mere example.its the truth to what has happened to a few cars in the past few months.

atleast this car hasn't blown up for the past 3 months of use and abuse.that in itself is worth the 14 lakhs.
Old 30th December 2008, 09:06   #170
Senior - BHPian

The fasted Skoda Octavia around to hit 200kmph . That can be the thread title till one sees the dyno result.

And how many at TBHP believe in auto mag stuff?
Old 30th December 2008, 09:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Just to put things in perspective, a 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 comes with a 2.4 litre engine running about 1 bar from the factory, and 215 fwhp. It is also front-engined, front-wheel drive, and runs 225/45 R16 front street tyres. It does 200 kmph or 120 mph in 19.96 seconds.
Old 30th December 2008, 09:56   #172
Senior - BHPian

Now the question is who drove it to that time.an autocar "journo"? guess not!
Old 30th December 2008, 10:33   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok let me ask a question...lets say we dyno this car and we find out that its not actually 500 bhp, lets say its more like 350 bhp, what then?? would we start questioning the timings it has clocked??
No, first we would rename the thread to something like - the Skoda which was supposed to have 500bhp but actually has 350.

Quote:
or lets say if its indeed around 500 bhp after we dyno it what then?? would we start bashing the car that its not good enough to utilize those horses and the timings are nothing to write home about??
No, we would duly appreciate the effort put in to make a 500bhp Skoda. As of now, we are appreciating the effort put in to make a fast Skoda.

Quote:
lets just accept the fact that here's a potential car which for around 20L+ (7L for used vRS + 14L for the mods done) can outperform cars of double and even triple times more cost. Its a car which can beat almost most of the cars on Indian roads...500 bhp or not.
No, you can't say it out-performs most cars unless you clarify what you mean by performance.

Even a 300bhp Skoda can beat most cars on Indian roads, so why say that's it 500bhp unless you can prove it.

p.s.
I think we should forward this thread to editorial of some other car mag, bet they would like to rip Autocars reputation apart. Since I haven't read it, I am assuming here that the article mentions that the car makes 500bhp. If it doesn't, well then they did the right thing.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:42   #174
BHPian

i dont want to get into the monetary point of view because its a personal choice. If there are people around who would spend in excess of crores for a supercar then i'm sure there would be good amount of people who can spend 14L to atleast achieve something which can say hello to supercars. And for people who want a sleepers car it would be an exciting choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ
And last how long? It will require race fuel, trips to the service center every 2 meters and have a power band that makes diesels seem like VTECs. A similar Beemer for example, will last for ages, have better creature comforts and.... and... well, I could go on endlessly.

The point is, there isn't one.
Any car which is heavily modded has questions regarding longetivity. This car is not the only one to be doubted.
Any other heavily modded car would again require race quality fuel and frequent trips to service centers. Infact its not easy to own even genuine race bred cars. When a person spends so much then i'm sure he's already made up his mind for post ownership. Its the choice you've to make before taking a plunge.
And most importantly we should realize the purpose behind such a car. It not meant for flying in city traffic. It has been modded to be a monster on expressways and obviously this is where the power band would be utilized.

Last edited by ashish22 : 30th December 2008 at 10:43.
Old 30th December 2008, 10:49   #175
Senior - BHPian

Great work, looks incredibly clean. And a great write-up Vivek, would've loved to be in your position. Don't care about how many horses it puts out, that's just a 'mine's bigger than yours' battle which doesn't really hold up unless the driver has the nuts to push it to its limits.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:01   #176
Senior - BHPian

can somebody please scan the Autocar article and post it here?
Old 30th December 2008, 12:21   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
can somebody please scan the Autocar article and post it here?
i dont think thats allowed.

i think vipers honda @ 228whp beat these timings and even rocams should beat them. both are FWD.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:48   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
i dont think thats allowed.
ya thought so . copyright violations?
Old 30th December 2008, 13:01   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you critics saw this report in Autocar india first, you probably wouldn't open your mouth. I don't think you would ask them to verify the claims first then give you the report. Someone in team-bhp gave you the review three months ago and instead of showing a little appreciation for the effort, you throw up a fight.
Well ACI has tested the car but do you see anyone believing the 500bhp hoax?

Bottom line is, those performance figs cannot come from a 500bhp FWD.

Ok lets say the car struggles for traction initially, so this hampers its 0-100 time but what about 100-200? It still needs 12 secs to do it. A 280bhp nsx r can do 100-200 in 13secs.

And its not just the bhp, do you have any idea how much torque this engine will have to produce in order to make that much power at say even 5500rpm?

649nm!!! And this is not even the max torque of the engine. That fig will prob be over 700nm.

Compare this to the 7.3ltr Zonda that produces 662nm@max power rpm with a max torque fig of 750nm.

So what you're trying to say is that even after this car gets traction, this 500bhp/700nm monster is able to beat a 280bhp/304nm nsx r in a 100-200 run by just 1 sec?

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 30th December 2008 at 13:05.
Old 30th December 2008, 13:34   #180
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
where are we heading??
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Just to put things in perspective, a 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 comes with a 2.4 litre engine running about 1 bar from the factory, and 215 fwhp. It is also front-engined, front-wheel drive, and runs 225/45 R16 front street tyres. It does 200 kmph or 120 mph in 19.96 seconds.

I think I may have been the first or one of the first in this thread to say that the HP claim is physically possible, and that motor has a lot of potential.

However, in this case, based on the numbers provided. Even if you are claiming flywheel hp and not hp to the wheels(on a chassis dyno), the car falls well short of 500hp. The 0-100kph(0-60mph) number is definitely better then stock, but the other times just don't show the power(Regardless of FWD or RWD). It's tough to figure out what the 1/4 mile time would be based on those numbers, but taking 19.7 is a long time to get to 200kph(124mph).

With miss shifting and a horrible launch, my car takes 11.4 seconds to get to 133mph(214.52kph I believe). This car made 571whp to the wheels on my Dynojet dyno.

Simply, 19.7 to 200kph just isn't fast at all in the world of tuning.(for a stock car, it would be a good starting point).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks