Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2008, 17:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what is the harm in having an Octavia with 500bhp?
Nobody has a prob with this car actually having 500bhp. The point is, you don't need 500bhp on a FWD coz you can never really use it.

Theres a reason why none of the manufacturers want to design a 500bhp FWD while there are many RWD/AWD cars with way more power.

Shan2nu
Old 28th October 2008, 17:47   #47
BHPian

@Rahul- That was very well put i must say, presicely what needs to be said.

I guess a dyno chart should be the next on prority to prove the claims as many of us would surely like to see.
And please lets not even go to GTR's and 911's anymore. These are machines built for a different purpose and really not meant to be compared to a Skoda seating 4 and carrying luggage etc....Please, Porsche and Nissan might not have even thought of these things and good for them because others might have hated them for the same.
Old 28th October 2008, 17:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

um, to all those asking about the point of a 500hp car as opposed to a 200hp one.

To show that it is possible

if we had to be practical about everything , we would have ICE which couldnt go beyond 120 dB, and low_bass_makker would be simply twiddling his thumbs :P
Old 28th October 2008, 17:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Nice find. But the RS is a 1.8turbo petrol.

Thats my issue.I cant find another one of the same spec!

The only one in this world?
Old 28th October 2008, 18:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post

You should have done it a bit more tastefully then Vivek.
May not be to your tastes. But why are you doing this to me? I wrote about it so that people would know about it. You are saying someone else should do that if Peter were not to lose his image. Could you please clarify where i tarnished his work.

Remember, I didn't road test the car like say AUTOCAR or Overdrive. Peter and I had a few rounds in it together and I decided that the fellow bhpians should know about it. So I prepared a writeup for that. It's up to Peter to put the dyno figures in his website and establish his claims for 'those who have seen a lot' and yet haven't seen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Vivekji
You're missing the point!

The point that mclaren and many others including myself were trying to make is that this car is essentially all show and no go! [For once not in the looks department, but it's the hype!]

What we're trying to express is the futility of this mod.

Lastly WRT to your opening post, a better donor car would be the 1.8TPi and not the RS and you're already changing the suspension and brakes, so might as well save a few lakhs, get an aftermarket body kit and xenons with projectors for the TPi...

cheers:
May be you should tell that to Peter.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:02   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How much boost is she putting out? Frankly I expected a huge front mount intercooler but I dont see anything.
yeah, i had asked same question earlier, need to know what boost you guys are running? what Fuel ? & intercooler question put up by Mpower.

Was the MAP created/tuned here? or was it imported along with other components.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vivek, I am sure there are plenty others out there trying to tell you exactly what I am saying. Your review (some lines of it actually) kind of actually tarnishes the good work

You should have done it a bit more tastefully then Vivek.
IMHO, it's also out of taste to criticise somebody's writing skills, especially when you are not paying to read it. And it was done with the purpose of sharing it with the rest of the community.

Vivek wrote down what he experienced, to the best of his skills. If you would like to debate something, please centralise your discussion around the car and not his writing skills. I see nothing in his post that tarnishes Peter's image. In the quest for being the ultimate word, it's not nice to demean anybody.
ported_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2008, 18:08   #53
BHPian

The turbo runs at 25-26psi, I was told.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:11   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
May not be to your tastes.
Since there are so many of us who feel the same, I think we should replace "your" with "our".

Quote:
I wrote about it so that people would know about it.
News like this does get around Vivek, sooner or later. You would be surprised to know that I was aware of this project. Now, don't ask me how .

Quote:
It's up to Peter to put the dyno figures in his website and establish his claims for 'those who have seen a lot' and yet haven't seen it.
Actually, no one would have reacted like this had Peter put up these figures Vivek. Maybe its just the way you wrote it. Sounded a lot like another kid who kept harping about a modified Scooby. We all know what happened to that. You really don't want to get there.

Anyways, I am off this argument. I think we have all made our point here.

Vivek, will you be able to give us further tech details on questions asked by Jitu or should we wait for someone else to answer those? Maybe Peter or Mathew?
Old 28th October 2008, 18:18   #55
BHPian

When I said 'people', I meant the rest of the team-bhpians too, not just the ones like you who are 'into' the business and know things before they happen and still argue on that.

For a better tomorrow, I'm out of this too.

Last edited by vivekji05 : 28th October 2008 at 18:21.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, I am off this argument. I think we have all made our point here.

Vivek, will you be able to give us further tech details on questions asked by Jitu or should we wait for someone else to answer those? Maybe Peter or Mathew?
Rahul, Vivek has just posted his experience in what he was given to sample. Why blame him or question his abilities.

If you want any more tech details and you know peter or whoever, please contact them directly, Theres no point in jumping on someone who just drove an insane machine and gave us some news! which has made quite a few of us insane
Old 28th October 2008, 18:28   #57
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Ported, point taken. I wasn't trying to demean his writing skills. Just that some centralized discussion about the car itself was rather misconstrued. Besides, when we get to read something good we do tend to appreciate it and sing praises dont we? I don't understand why certain people cant seem to take constructive criticism when its the other way round. Double standards?

Vivek, I am not "into the business". Have never been. Just an enthusiast with some friends in these circles. Dont fret over what I have said. Hope you had fun with the RS500.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Cmmon guys, lets not get into "what he wrote, how he wrote and to whom he wrote". Its best we limit our discussion to the technical/practical aspect of the car.

Shan2nu
Old 28th October 2008, 18:31   #59
BHPian

Well said. I was going to post some of what you said, but you beat me to it.

I'm not disputing the 500bhp claim, in fact I'm happy to take that at face value. A dyno chart would have helped substantiate things, but I'm happy to trust you on it.

As you yourself mentioned, it's not a 500bhp car the way a 911 or a GTR (or a Vanquish, or a F430) is a 500bhp car (or close enough). Those cars were built with the sole intention of being Supercars, and this one wasn't, which is why it's not going to win any races against exotic machinery (I could list the reasons why, but I think people on this thread already know them).

My personal opinion is that the client wasted his money. He would have got similar performance and kicks from say, 350bhp. He's never going to be able to really use the 500bhp he's paid for. But hey. If it makes him happy...

Happy Diwali, and have a great new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post
Actually I'm afraid if you are the one, losing the point here. The GTR was born with one intention- to beat the 911. The RS 500 on the other hand wasn't. This car is not a GTR. Nor does it pretend to be one. And in all probability it won't stack up very well against the 10 best supercars in their fastest laps around the Nurburgring, without killing you. It's still front wheel drive which everyone knows is not the best layout to lay down all that power. The chassis was born to be a practical four door saloon(semi-notchback if you insist) and whatever you do, it will not able to harness the power like a racecar.

What Petes has done is make a standard Octavia produce a supercar rivalling 500bhp. Without losing none of the practicality factor; it still carries four people and all their luggage. The 0-100kmph times are somewhat marred by the FWD layout. But it is definitely faster than anything you would normally encounter on the road. It can reach insane speeds in no time. It can scare your friends in the backseats. Think of it as a 911 beater or GTR hunter and you are losing the point. Think of it as the fastest Octavia RS in India and it all begins to make sense. It is not designed to put down the best 0-100kmph times. Nor the best lap times. It's a 500bhp FWD family saloon.

Why, you may ask? Because the person who ordered his car liked it this way. He didnt want a GTR because he already has one. He wanted a car that looks ordinary but goes like a rocket. Something which he cam take everywhere without worrying about people putting their paw marks. Something in which can throw nasty surprises when you press the pedal. You get the idea. It's the best stealth missile. And you dont have to spend supercar amounts to get this.

As for the 8seconds timing of the 300bhp car, it's mostly due to the condition it was in, at that time. It was down on power thanks to a burnt clutch, a defective intercooler and the extremely hot climate. Autocar had taken all these into consideration and mentioned these in their article. I too was present at the track in Coimbatore and remebered that the car didnt feel as powerful as when i drove it before that.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:33   #60
BHPian

Let us wait for Peter and the dyno test.Vivek nice report buddy.If it is really 500Bhp then it's a great work from Petes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks