Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 14:00   #121
BHPian

Guys.. i have a issue with my newly acquired DIESEL conti.The engine heats up pretty fast even after a short drive say 10 kms.i didn't notice it at first cos the temp gauge and fuel is broken! but after reaching home i popped up the hood to check on the brake fluid and noticed it was pretty hot under it.then i checked the radiator reserve and nothing wrong there.after some 20mins of cooling off i opened the radiator and it was topped up too with coolant.i thought it was one time only but now it keeps happening again.do diesels run hotter than petrol's ?

estimate of heating-the engine head/radiator/air filter is too hot to touch, can feel the heat from the front tire wells and a hint from inside-near gear and no heat on the closed hood .

now my real concern...
> i had took it for a oil change and i think some idiot must have put petrol engine oil instead. will it cause the engine to heat up? how can i ,at this stage detect the type of oil in the engine(diesel/petrol).what will be the repercussions of having petrol oil inside :( and finally what should i do.. i'm too scared to take my conti to other ignorant workshops and thanks in advance!
Old 6th August 2010, 15:15   #122
BHPian

Contessa is vehicle which took imported isuze to india i think.

The engine in Contessa is a great one,and fitted to amby also.

What is the engine type (B1,C1,D1,G1).

Open your radiator and start your engine.Make it to run in an idle speed.See whether the bubbles (water) are coming in the radiator or is it throwing the water outside.
If it does means the head gas gut need to be replaced.

If there is no sysmptoms like that,then
1.Check the fan belt whether it was loose.
2.Radiator will also sometimes not in a good condition.If its full of dust means inside means,it will also not allow the water to circulate very freely.
3.If thermostat is there,take a look into it also.If its not opening to pass the water freely ,the heat will be there.

Before doing all this plz fit the temp gauge to check what is the temp its showing.
Old 12th August 2010, 20:22   #123
BHPian

Mukund Menon,
From what you description of the problem is, looks like you have a water pump failure. Replace the pump, get the radiator serviced and check the radiator fan clutch for excess slip (Belt also) and your problem is solved. Worst case the heating is also because a pump fault and in that case should be showing signs with black smoke and low mileage. Clean the injectors and get the pump serviced and should be fixed.

cheers,
M iyer
Old 13th August 2010, 00:16   #124
BHPian

Thanks to All

MIYER _ without you, your advices, tips, and most of all your helpings, i could not have made my conti come this far...

Manickjeet - i bought xylo rims, but the studs are not fitting in the conti, also the centre bore is only 68mm, while conti has 74mm approx. How to overcome these problems ?
can you pls explain how you fitted the xylo rims ? the procedures, alterations you had done pls ?

RJ555, Mycarhasablower, Badboyscad and All Others - Thanks for all your good appreciative words...this keeps me going forward

The conti is being restored as OE as it can be, to look like a fresh car from the factory, not HM factory but like from a vauxhall factory

the car will be gleaming in lots of chrome, and surely chrome bumpers et al... so friends, expect a vauxhall victor FE not a contessa classic...

Lastly, do send in your ideas, tips, and experiences to make my restoration, one of a kind !!!

Badboyscad, can you post me some photoshopped images with xylo alloys, and xylo rims with chrome lips ? pls, if you can...
Old 13th August 2010, 16:04   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadntrack View Post
Guys Just for the note:-
I could have done a much better job/my customer wouldn't allow me to go retro. tried my best to go with round lights like the old 70's mustang-he desperatly wanted to have a new generation look. Once its final is out will post the clear pics.
Alteration Taken place
All body parts-Doors/bumpers/fenders/bonnet/ etc even sun roof too.
Up sizing the wheels with chrome alloy wheels with broad tires give good look
Old 17th August 2010, 11:00   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Mukund Menon,
From what you description of the problem is, looks like you have a water pump failure. Replace the pump, get the radiator serviced and check the radiator fan clutch for excess slip (Belt also) and your problem is solved. Worst case the heating is also because a pump fault and in that case should be showing signs with black smoke and low mileage. Clean the injectors and get the pump serviced and should be fixed.

cheers,
M iyer
Thanks miyer. well i took the car to the workshop today morning and explained it all to the mech there. he checked the water pump and said its fine.since the temp gauge is busted they would be fixing that and analyzing further.Besides i'm getting the injectors cleaned and the diesel filter replaced.Also the fuel gauge is getting fixed(ran out of fuel one day!).Hope they find a solution for this overheating problem.Will try to post pics of my conti as soon as i can !
Old 18th August 2010, 01:59   #127
BHPian

Help in Mumbai for Contessa Classic 1.8GL

Hello friends!
Can someone tell me a garage/mechanic in Mumbai where I can take my father's 1990 model Contessa 1.8GL for entire overhaul?

AMIT

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2010 at 17:49. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
Old 1st September 2010, 18:44   #128
BHPian

hi friends!

Got my salary and i'm looking for ways to spend it on restoring my Contessa! i need a front fiber bumper for it. it is damaged pretty bad ; it is cracked in several places thanks to several minor bumps and is looking crooked.Where can i find it in kerala/Tamilnadu ? Even chrome bumpers(pair) would do. all help appreciated
Old 25th September 2010, 23:47   #129
BHPian

posting pics of my Contessa! Taken on the day i bought her
Contessa Classic-5.jpg
the art work was done by the prev owner and is actually paint.
Contessa Classic-6.jpg
Removed the wheelcups now
Contessa Classic-3.jpg
Contessa Classic-1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Contessa Classic-4.jpg  

Old 26th September 2010, 08:41   #130
BHPian

MM,
Its a nice find. Looks good (body, interiors, fitting & Fixtures ect).Welcome on board.
M Iyer

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2010 at 17:50. Reason: Please continue discussion on the forum only
Old 12th October 2010, 19:40   #131
Senior - BHPian

Started to collect parts for my conti overhaul.

Brand New suspension bush kit and disc brake pads.
Contessa Classic-10102010310.jpg
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:18   #132
BHPian

@badboyscad: Is your name Zaheed? i guess you had called me once.

@ mukund: what happened to your quest for chrome bumpers..?
Old 4th November 2010, 10:52   #133
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
Manickjeet - i bought xylo rims, but the studs are not fitting in the conti, also the centre bore is only 68mm, while conti has 74mm approx. How to overcome these problems ?
can you pls explain how you fitted the xylo rims ? the procedures, alterations you had done pls ?
If these are stock xylo rims then i dunno why have you brought the stock xylo rims which are still pressed steel types and are noway attractive then stock rims of contessa itself.
Old 4th November 2010, 15:15   #134
BHPian

If these are stock xylo rims then i dunno why have you brought the stock xylo rims which are still pressed steel types and are noway attractive then stock rims of contessa itself.
[COLOR=#777]The King[/COLOR]

i planned for 195/65R15 tyres, thats why got the xylo rims, but lying waste now.
the conti wears now 175/70R13 in front and 185/70R13 in the rear - in the OE rims, dropped the 15" tyre dreams, for now.
Old 4th November 2010, 16:22   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudhindra View Post
@badboyscad: Is your name Zaheed? i guess you had called me once.

@ mukund: what happened to your quest for chrome bumpers..?
well chrome bumpers has to be put on hold for now.The crack in my bumper was fixed with Mseal and i have to admit they(mech) did a good job and its hard to notice the difference.But nothing beats the look of chrome!Now i am planning to do a paint job.Colors in consideration are Grey,Dark red,White... very confused though. well here are some pics that caught my fancy..
Attached Thumbnails
Contessa Classic-car7342.jpg  

Contessa Classic-heidts_test_car_racks_up_the_mileshome_page10image.jpg  

Contessa Classic-musclecarsforsale.com_479f69e89d056.jpg  

Contessa Classic-1970454chevelless8.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks