Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 08:39   #241
BHPian

Re: Contessa Classic

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st June 2011 at 16:00.
Miyer is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th May 2011, 14:34   #242
BHPian

[quote=Miyer;2367188]One more Contessa meets the hammer and chisel. This one came in yesterday night and by now it is on its way to be fresh metal to make sheets for other cars perhaps.When will this price of metal get mukti and return to the earth.

You are right Miyer...

Two more 99 model with power steering contis are available in trichur for sale somebody save them or I'm afraid that they may end up in a scrap yard!!
Old 3rd June 2011, 15:15   #243

Hey guys.. Finally got some time to get some pics of my beauty.. have attached a few of them..
Attached Thumbnails
Contessa Classic-20110530_07.12.50.jpg  

Contessa Classic-20110530_07.13.06.jpg  

Contessa Classic-20110530_07.13.20.jpg  

Contessa Classic-20110530_07.13.29.jpg  

Contessa Classic-20110530_07.13.58.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2011, 17:01   #244
BHPian

^^ Give it a good wax and polish . And get rid of the spoiler if u can
Old 3rd June 2011, 18:10   #245

I'm infact planning to remove the spoiler since a long time.. Just not getting the time...
Old 3rd June 2011, 23:36   #246

I need chrome bumpers for it.will it be available with rohit and how much would the set cost? Any idea.
Old 7th June 2011, 11:51   #247
BHPian

Dear All!

Sorry for the delay. I was supposed to put up the pics in detail of all that I had done in my conty. But unfortunately this saturday the engine gave way. It started making all sorts of noises. After opening the cam cover, it was discovered that two rocker arms were broken. Got all the 8 replaced, and the sound still continues. It seems the engine is in for another overhaul.
I look forward to advice from all you conty veterans. As I mentioned the car has already covered more than 4.5L kms. with one major overhaul. DO you recommend that I go for another overhaul, or should I change the engine now? Please consider that after such extensive bodywork vitamin M resources are depleting. I am in two states of mind -
1) Was planning to go for a used Tavera engine -
pros: better power and new generation engine.
cons : Mind does not really get convinced for a used engine. Cannot afford to get stuck in middle of nowhere when the engine will start giving problems.
2) Go for another overhaul.
pros : Know the engine in and out and am confident about it's robustness.
cons : The engine has already been used a lot. Will overhaul really make it fresh. Doesnt the mechanical parts like crankshaft have their own life for wear and tear.

Awaiting your advice....

With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.
Old 7th June 2011, 21:29   #248
BHPian

Dear Abhijosh,
my perception to your engine overhaul :
option 1 : get a used tavera engine (approx 60k) but if the turbo or engine dies, be prepared to shell out 20k for turbo and 40k for half engine rebuild, without the head lathe work. Not Recommended as the longevity in a used engine cannot be determined, this option based on your luck purely...
option 2 : if you have any contacts in GM/chevrolet, get the latest crde engine from the latest tavera - might cost you around 1lak, but total peace of mind for another 3-4lak kms. you can also endorse the new engine in the rc book, as you are getting it directly billed from GM/chevrolet.
option 3 : get the latest isuzu from HM, fresh with due bill and get it endorsed in the RC, which will also let you cough up anything around 1 lak.
option 4 : rebuild your old engine, pls change all parts except the engine outer body, get a new head, and this might cost somewhere around 40-50k depending on where you do the rebuild.
option 5 : get an used 1.8L petrol for 5-10k, and use the rest of the amount budgetted for the petrol bills - i'm serious in this option, not joking. you would suddenly find the boyracer sleeping inside you, awakened.

lastly, do rebuild of your old engine, and if you change all the parts to new, you might get back the peace of mind - as you know the engine very well. financially also, this option works out the best, also the opt.

best regards.
Old 8th June 2011, 10:05   #249
BHPian

Thanks Shekharan,

It was like my words from your mouth. The only thing is that I was a bit nervous about the life of the engine afetr the overhaul. After assuring words from a techie like you, I think I shall go ahead with the overhaul. The mechanic has given me an estimate of 40K. This person is ex-HM and seems to be really good. His garage is equipped with all the right tools, and plus point is minimum usage of HAMMER.
I had enquired about the new Tavera engine. Outright price given to me was 2.5L, and the HM new engine will cost somewhere around 1.25L-1.5L. Shall keep you updated about the revival.

With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.
Old 10th June 2011, 04:04   #250
BHPian

i seriously think that if you can find the engine from a turbo diesel ambassador(the only reason i didnt get this for my car is the lack of availability in delhi) or other bigger isuzu diesels(2.4lt is the most commonly available) then you could get decent power plus economy as well. explore this option , its worth it and realatively cheap too. cuz the 2.4 engine usually goes for around 30k from what ive heard . id say max 5000 for the transplant and your a happy man

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 10th June 2011 at 04:06.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:37   #251
BHPian

2.4 Isuzu

@ all: Isn't swapping the engine with a 2.4L Isuzu engine a dicey move?
Will X engine fit in Y car?
Yes. With enough time and money, anything is possible. Is it worth? Companies spend enormous hours & money to the get the tuning right & then someone like me comes along and swaps the engine. I'v witnessed many cases where the swapping worked well for a year or so & then recurring problems awoke. Ultimately such cars end up in the scrap yard till another bloke comes along & says: "Ah! A 2.4 L engine." The vicious cycle.
Also the budget. Definitely more than what one estimates. Probably a lot more. Take whatever you think it "should" cost. Then double that. Most swaps are using engines pulled from wrecked donors or donors that are being parted out for one reason or another. This means the engine already has miles on it. Add to that the fact it is absolutely inherent that a swapped car will be slightly less reliable than it was when stock.
Old 19th June 2011, 19:14   #252
BHPian

very true atul, but the 2.4 litre is an isuzu engine from the same series as the stock 2.0 and the gearbox is the same for the 2.0d and the 1.8 petrol and the 2.4 also has the same bellhousing bolt slots as the other two. As a result the 2.4 is a direct fit into the contessa and i think the mounts are also the same as well. they are almost as alike as the zen , esteem and the balenos engines. so basically excluding silly mistakes the 2.4 should be reliable and an easy transplant. the only trouble is the gearbox. the ratios arent optimised for either engine and therefore the poor economy with the petrol and poor performance with the diesel. the 2.4 is a good option cuz it gives a good balance between the performance of the 1.8 and the economy of the 2.0. since the 2.0 is frustratingly slow and the 1.8 is frightfully expensive to run people will continue to find the 2.4 an attractive proposition
Old 20th June 2011, 08:46   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
the 2.4 is a good option cuz it gives a good balance between the performance of the 1.8 and the economy of the 2.0. since the 2.0 is frustratingly slow and the 1.8 is frightfully expensive to run people will continue to find the 2.4 an attractive proposition
Help me getting one then!!!!!
Old 20th June 2011, 14:46   #254
BHPian

Miyer,
can the differential ratio of the contessa be modified ?
any options ? if yes, what should be done ?
what is the original diff ratio - ring/pinion gear ratio of the contessa ? i know that there is a 1 tooth difference between petrol and diesel, but forgot/misplaced the data - sorry to ask again.
you are the one person who can guide us all on technicalities.
also miyer, what can be done to make the petrol conti have more close ratios in the GB ? we all know that 2nd gear of conti pulls cleanly from 0-75kmph and 3rd till 100kmph, so using 4th and 5th gears are practically only in long stretch of roads or highways. if the diff ratio can be altered, it would make a more useable conti in city (my opinion). thanks in advance for your clarifications.
best regards.
shekaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2011, 08:45   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
Miyer,
can the differential ratio of the contessa be modified ?
any options ? if yes, what should be done ?
what is the original diff ratio - ring/pinion gear ratio of the contessa ? i know that there is a 1 tooth difference between petrol and diesel, but forgot/misplaced the data - sorry to ask again.
you are the one person who can guide us all on technicalities.
also miyer, what can be done to make the petrol conti have more close ratios in the GB ? we all know that 2nd gear of conti pulls cleanly from 0-75kmph and 3rd till 100kmph, so using 4th and 5th gears are practically only in long stretch of roads or highways. if the diff ratio can be altered, it would make a more useable conti in city (my opinion). thanks in advance for your clarifications.
best regards.
Thanks for your queries KS. You are a small guru with the car yourself and wonder if you will need help. Nevertheless I have a quick reply with the diff crown and pinion and ratios. I will respond in detail when I have more time to do so.Thanks again.
P11/C41-Diesel-Ratio-3.72
P12/C42-Petrol-Ratio-3.50
Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks