Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 22:36   #256
BHPian

Re: Contessa Classic

@shekaran: yes i noticed the gear ratio problem too. Its practically impossible to get to 5th gear in the city. even at 60 the car labours to pull in 5th gear.At 70 its fine though. I guess these not so ideal gear ratios are the reason for the poor fe. But on the highway with a light foot i expect the car to give no less than 18kmpl. In the city i get 11 easily with mostly 4th gear driving without ac.

@Mahesh: shouldnt the ratios be the other way round for petrol and diesel. Assuming that the diesel spins slower and has more torque , logically it should have the taller ratio. you have assigned the taller ratio to petrol.
And i started my cars restoration btw my conti has a compression of 150 psi on all cylinders with a dry test when cold. Is it decent? Also there is this metal plate right above the mudflap of the front wheels behind the quarter panel that is badly corroded in my car. i need dimensions and pictures of a good example to reconstruct them or if possible new ones. Can you help me get the dashboard plastics?please please please. Just pick it up if you find any at the scrapper. I need the panel above the glove box, ac vents and the ashtray lid in the centre console. Also is there any way to fix the thin skin of plastic that acts as a hinge for the glovebox lid? Mine is partially torn(on the conti esteem and the 800) So a standard method of repair will help.

@Atul: i seriously believe that you shouldnt tamper with your car. just keep it original.And if the fuel cost begin to hurt too much just get a second hand 800(for the price of a top end mobile) And use that with an after market ac installed. Mine gives 20kmpl consistently in the winter and 17-18 with the ac on in the summer. Do check the condition of the engine with a compression tester before you buy one. THe tester cost me 550 bucks here from kashmere gate. The conti in my opinion is too rare an amazing a car to wear out with dily use.

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 21st June 2011 at 22:44.
mycarhasablower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 15:55   #257
BHPian

Swapping a petrol engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
@Atul: i seriously believe that you shouldnt tamper with your car.
@Anmol: i seriously believe that you shouldnt tamper with my name. Call me Atu or Atulya. Not Atul
@Shekaran, Mahesh, Anmol & Everybody else: I went around in the local auto-scrap markets in/ around Chandigarh & found a few diesel engines lying around which I can swap in my petrol Contessa.
1. I searched through the forums but could find no thread which advises what precautions one must observe while buying a used diesel engine. Contessa is the car which I always wanted to own for the better part of my life, hence i request you all to kindly guide me towards making a wise decision. In-case there is a thread which i missed, direct me to it.

2. A 2.2L Turbo Charged ISUZU engine is available for 15,000 whereas a 2.4L Turbo Charged ISUZU engine is available for 18,000. I have no idea of the price of these engines across various markets in India. Comment

3.Although most of the upgrades I'v heard of have been of the 2.4L, with the diesel prices going up- I'm inclined towards the 2.2L due to the mileage factor. Comment

4. I was weighing the pros & cons of buying the engine locally or from Delhi/Meerut.
Locally: (+) Save time,can always catch hold of the guy if somethings goes wrong. (-)lesser options of engines.
Delhi/Meerut: (+) more options (-)Time, reliability of vendor

Kindly comment.
Old 27th June 2011, 01:42   #258
BHPian

Swapping engines

2.4 L Turbo for 18K! its so cheap- i would buy one!!! will it be the same as on the Tavera? If so then be careful as we all know- Taveras run as taxi's. One mech told that by looking under the engine cover that if oil appears to have hardened inside and sticking as lumps the its an indication that it has done lot of running.But for that one would have to remove the cover.Best option would be to take a good mech with you i guess.
Old 27th June 2011, 10:45   #259
BHPian

Hi All!

The quesytion of redoing the engine of my car is out of question, since the block needs to be replaced. The cost of new block is close to INR 57,000/- and cost of new half engine is INR 75,000/-.
But fortunately I have come across two isuzu engines - 2.0L Isuzu 4FC1 which is quoted @ INR 35,000/- and the 2.4L Isuzu 4FG1 @ INR 55,000/-. Can you please advice the cost at which I should pick the engines at? Cost fo 2.0l and 2.4L?
Also one question - Do I need to make any alterations in the gear box if I go for the 2.4L engine, or is it that the engine is a bolt on fit for the foundation as well as the gearbox?
With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:25   #260
BHPian

Guys,
Just a quick update. Bought Isuzu 4FC1 yesterday, put it in my jeep (ise kehte hai gadi (jeep) ki vasuli), and has already reached the mech's place.
Moreover there is a used power steering kit priced at 6K. The kit includes the rack, pump, reservoir and the tubing. Shall I go for the same? Will keep you updated as and when I crank the car now. Cant wait for it any more.

With Best Regards,
Abhijeet.
Old 10th July 2011, 17:24   #261
BHPian

Hi, i have a peculiar problem with my Contessa Classic 1.8 Petrol, when i bought it, it had a LPG kit in it as well, never tried it though. I've driven it around for short distance as to keep it running once a week.
Lately i tried to start it and i get a fast clicking type sound as soon as i switch on the car in the normal start mode, the sound starts to continue ever after i crank the engine, by the way the car is not starting at the moment. The sound seems to be coming from the back side of the drivers seat, like as if from the tank. I Havent shown to a mechanic yet.
Can anyone advice what might be the problem?
Old 10th July 2011, 20:36   #262
BHPian

[quote=regnex;2424437]Lately i tried to start it and i get a fast clicking type sound as soon as i switch on the car in the normal start mode, the sound starts to continue ever after i crank the engine, by the way the car is not starting at the moment. The sound seems to be coming from the back side of the drivers seat, like as if from the tank.quote]
Sound - could be from the solenoids for petrol or LPG. Can be from an electric petrol pump (if installed)
Not starting - Either both solenoids are on or none.
Take help from a friend to turn on / off the key and listen for sounds inside the trunk where the LPG tank is installed. You should be able to locate the cause
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 11:35   #263
BHPian

Bearing Info

Hope this helps you while restoring your beauties.
Attached Thumbnails
Contessa Classic-contessa.jpg  

ilangop is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 13:48   #264
BHPian

thanks mr.ilango.
pls post pics of user manual and parts manual - if you have them, for the benefit of all contessa owners. it would be highly appreciated.
my sincere thanks for sharing info.
best regards.
Old 15th July 2011, 19:41   #265
BHPian

Please open the fuel pump prime it with petrol from a bottle and run it with the inlet and outlet to the same can.You can see it in the front of the tank to the right. Since you are on gas the pump has been running dry perhaps. Also check the fuel filter clamped to the body and tucked right above the differential on the body. Remove and clean by reverse flow or replace.
If you find the petrol flow from the pump intermittent and weak or none,the pump has failed.
Miyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 08:59   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaran View Post
thanks mr.ilango.
pls post pics of user manual and parts manual - if you have them, for the benefit of all contessa owners. it would be highly appreciated.
my sincere thanks for sharing info.
best regards.
Shekaran, I myself dont have one. Let me chack with my mechanic. He had some manuals for Ambassador. Probably the engines are the same. Will ask him and update accordingly.
Old 17th July 2011, 09:28   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Shekaran, I myself dont have one. Let me chack with my mechanic. He had some manuals for Ambassador. Probably the engines are the same. Will ask him and update accordingly.
Dear Ilango,
It great to see you helping out fellow t-bhpians. Being a conti owner, it is honestly appreciated.

Would it be possible to check in case the mechanic has the engine manual for the MPFI petrol engine for the amby or the conti (since they share the same engine). I have been trying to get the engine manual since long but to no avail.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Tej Khokhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 14:59   #268
BHPian

Came across this "Wanna-Be-Mustang" over OLX, car in Bangalore, Karnataka.

Source: OLX - Contessa Modded to Mustang looks
Attached Thumbnails
Contessa Classic-conmus-1.jpg  

Contessa Classic-conmus-2.jpg  

Contessa Classic-conmus-3.jpg  

Contessa Classic-conmus-4.jpg  

Contessa Classic-conmus-6.jpg  

Contessa Classic-conmus-7.jpg  

Attached Images

?ushk@r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 15:13   #269
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The wanabe mustang contessa actually looks quite ok from the front - the rear is a bit over the top. Slightly better tinwork upfront and a bit more care on the interiors could have made this look even better. But it is hard to get uniform work done in India - especially in smaller workshops.

The Car also seems a bit too raised inspite of the side skirting. A lower stance would have helped .Yet inspite of this good to see a contesa being used.
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:16   #270
BHPian

Whats with the steering & the gear stick??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks