Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 00:29   #196
Senior - BHPian

Amazing cutouts.
This kind of work will really make even the iitian mechanical engineers stand up and notice.

I'd love if you'd put more pics of the Work in progress.as in every stage of processing and cutting the metal goes through.It'll be a learning experience rarely found anywhere.
Old 1st April 2009, 01:05   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti_86 View Post
Instead of so much expenditure,you can simply get VOLVO S80 350hp,400Nm torque..
Well if you have the 50L or so to spare needed for buying a S80 V8, I'm sure Jitu will be more than happy if you gift it to him
Old 1st April 2009, 07:49   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Really?

I'm no expert about this stuff, but i've used 6061 the most (7075 for one other project that needed something a little better) and i was under the impression that it was quite a commonly available alloy and therefore should definitely be sourcable here.
I wouldn't be suprised if Jitus stock (in the pics) is indeed 6061-T6.

cya
R
How are you sure it was 6061? You can't tell unless you do chemical analysis of the material. I have faced a lot of problems like this in my machine shop. The vendor will tell us it is 6061 and when we get it tested it turn out to be normal aluminium.

The easy way to make out if the material is indeed 6061-T6 is that it will have a very very mild blue tinge when looked at under direct sun light after machining. But this method also does not always work.

Also you might have used normal 6061 and not 6061-T6. The T6 variant comes pre-tempered from the factory. The T6 actually is a tempering designation.

Last edited by vikram_d : 1st April 2009 at 07:58.
Old 1st April 2009, 08:06   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti_86 View Post
Instead of so much expenditure,you can simply get VOLVO S80 350hp,400Nm torque..But making such extreme engine mods out of a stock one surely makes us feel good & that Adrenaline boost,just like in Need for Speed Most Wanted when I upgrade performance in Lamborghini I feel thats purely my kinda ride.Awesome work i appreciate it.

Lol dude.don't compare this to need for speed.Lol.

here you don't press buttons to install upgrades.Jitu has gone through a lot of pain to get this setup working.Not everything you install always works.

Need for speed.lol.

this is one of the biggest drawbacks of NFS series.It makes boys like these think installing a turbo is a monkey's job.Lol.
Old 1st April 2009, 08:53   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
How are you sure it was 6061? You can't tell unless you do chemical analysis of the material.
well, it doesnt exactly need chemical analysis to tell if its T6. A simple brinell hardness test should suffice, quite easy to tell 12 vs 90 brinell number.

None of this is relevant of course, if it cant be found. I've been able to source 6061-O (not T6) in Bangalore quite easily before.
Old 1st April 2009, 09:08   #201
BHPian

Quote:
How are you sure it was 6061? You can't tell unless you do chemical analysis of the material. I have faced a lot of problems like this in my machine shop. The vendor will tell us it is 6061 and when we get it tested it turn out to be normal aluminium.

The easy way to make out if the material is indeed 6061-T6 is that it will have a very very mild blue tinge when looked at under direct sun light after machining. But this method also does not always work.

Also you might have used normal 6061 and not 6061-T6. The T6 variant comes pre-tempered from the factory. The T6 actually is a tempering designation.
@Vikram,ananth, is there any other method to confirm that its 6061-T6 grade ? cause that is what i have called for, the plate is 12mm thick.

Last edited by Ford Rocam : 1st April 2009 at 09:12.
Old 1st April 2009, 09:49   #202
Senior - BHPian

Well go to an Engineering college in which you have a contact.and ask them to do a brinell hardness test.Like what ananth said.
Old 1st April 2009, 11:04   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
@Vikram,ananth, is there any other method to confirm that its 6061-T6 grade ? cause that is what i have called for, the plate is 12mm thick.
you can go to some foundry which has spectrometer. every foundry also has inhouse lab for testing the raw material.
else go to some machine shop and do the brinell hardness test.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:35   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
After you get the material just file a small portion of it with a smooth file or scrape it with fine grit emery paper and see it under direct sunlight. You should be able to see a very mild blue tinge on the processed portion of the metal. But this is not always accurate.

The other methods are as mentioned by Ananth & Amit. Either get access to a spectrometer or do a simple hardness test. If you can't access any of these then chemical analysis is the way to go.

Any good metallurgical lab should be able to do the spectrometer or the chemical analysis for a small fee. If you are lucky they might also have a hardness checker, but this is unlikely. The chemical analysis costs about Rs. 250 - 500 per first sample and Rs 150 - 200 for subsequent samples. These are Bangalore rates. Must be around the same for Bombay also.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:41   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Jitu, i have worked with one metallurgical lab at Malad, they are very professional and reasonable.
Metallurgical Services-Material testing lab,hydrogen disbonding test,material testing services laboratory,Mumbai,India,Asia
You can get their contact details from the above website. PM me for references.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:49   #206
Senior - BHPian

Perfect link posted by Tejas. They have all the facility needed. I would recommend do a chemical analysis or spectro analysis to be sure that it is 6061-T6.
Old 1st April 2009, 15:03   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How are you sure it was 6061? You can't tell unless you do chemical analysis of the material.
Hi Vik,

- The bar and sheet stock had 6061-T6 printed on the metal itself from where it was produced
- I had no reason not to trust the supplier! (this was in the USA)

I used 6061-T6 for almost everything i did and hence i was suprised when you said it would be hard to source here as i was under the impression that it was a very common alloy.

Its sad that in most cases here you get a false "yes" when the answer should really be "no / i dont know".
Instead of asking specifically for stuff, it helps to ask a general question - eg. "what flavours are available" rather than "do you have strawberry". First question might yeild a "chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch" answer, where the second would probably be a "ummm..yes ofcourse".

cya
R
Old 1st April 2009, 15:48   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Vik,

- The bar and sheet stock had 6061-T6 printed on the metal itself from where it was produced
- I had no reason not to trust the supplier! (this was in the USA)

I used 6061-T6 for almost everything i did and hence i was suprised when you said it would be hard to source here as i was under the impression that it was a very common alloy.

Its sad that in most cases here you get a false "yes" when the answer should really be "no / i dont know".
Instead of asking specifically for stuff, it helps to ask a general question - eg. "what flavours are available" rather than "do you have strawberry". First question might yeild a "chocolate, vanilla, butterscotch" answer, where the second would probably be a "ummm..yes ofcourse".

cya
R
It's a completely different scenario in the US. There this material is widely available as it is also used in a lot of automobile parts.

6061 is widely available in India but not 6061-T6. Basically the demand for this material is not as much in India as it is else where around the globe. When I had first encountered this material about 9-10 years back, there was not a single person any where in the country dealing with it. I had to import the material from the US. But yes now it is easier to find. But not every aluminium dealer will have it ex-stock. Only a select few of them stock it.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:53   #209
BHPian

Quote:
6061 is widely available in India but not 6061-T6. Basically the demand for this material is not as much in India as it is else where around the globe. When I had first encountered this material about 9-10 years back, there was not a single person any where in the country dealing with it. I had to import the material from the US. But yes now it is easier to find. But not every aluminium dealer will have it ex-stock. Only a select few of them stock it.
Yeah, Vikram's right.
The plate in question is not (6061- T6) as confirmed to me by the machinist today & its not easily available so he just got the (6061). but what he got currently should do the job as well according to him but i am not buying that.
One more thing which i found out today from various Aluminum dealers is that its "Hindalco" the only Indian company which manufactures limited quantity of (6061- T6) grade alloys, one of the dealer also showed me the sample laser marking on one of the hindalco make (6351 -T6) grade alloy as "rehaan" mentioned, the (6061- T6) will have same laser marking on them. I should get hold of (6061- T6) by tomorrow, will post the pic of same once i get in hand.

@ Tejas Thanks for the link
Old 1st April 2009, 22:03   #210
Senior - BHPian

Jitu, 6351-T6 will work if you cannot get 6061-T6. They both have similar properties, 6351 is slightly stronger in tension and slightly less desirable fatigue properties, but both are comparable to mild steel if you're bent on using aluminum. The aluminum part will be stiffer for the same or marginally less weight, but that shouldn't be a concern when making prototype parts that should ABSOLUTELY NOT FAIL!

Last edited by ananthkamath : 1st April 2009 at 22:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks