Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 16:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Is this fake too ?!?!
IMO, at a glance, the bottle looks genuine. But then they are known to fill the original containers with spurious stuff. I guess the only way to know for sure is to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Guys, I can only find Formula 1 Wax (350 bucks), some Chinese, Eagle One Liquid Wax and am yet to find 3M Liquid Wax.

Please suggest me a good detailing expert in Delhi NCR and which wax should I go for? I'm having Formula 1 Car Shampoo and it says it has Carnauba in it, so do I really need to go for a wax (but please answer my first question)?
350 bucks for f1 carnuba tin?? It costs much less here. IIRC its less than Rs. 200.
Old 15th September 2009, 23:36   #47
BHPian

No foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by brilliantlights View Post

those who've used waxpol - does it have a seal (aluminium foil probably) under the cap/lid that is to be taken off before you can start using the wax?
No it does not come with a seal of any kind as far as I know. It is packed dowdily and looks very down market but it is the best waxing cake or liquid I have used in 28 years of waxing my cars. It smells horrid too but all is forgiven when you see the water beading after every wash even after 6 months since the last wax coat.
I am going to try it on my alloy wheels next Sunday and see how long they last on them since the wheels have to take far higher abuse than the other painted areas.
Old 16th September 2009, 00:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
No it does not come with a seal of any kind as far as I know. It is packed dowdily and looks very down market but it is the best waxing cake or liquid I have used in 28 years of waxing my cars. It smells horrid too but all is forgiven when you see the water beading after every wash even after 6 months since the last wax coat.
I am going to try it on my alloy wheels next Sunday and see how long they last on them since the wheels have to take far higher abuse than the other painted areas.
Buddy, I'm unaware of this water beading concept and what it has to do with wax, please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
350 bucks for f1 carnuba tin?? It costs much less here. IIRC its less than Rs. 200.
Yes, but I saw it at In & Out, BPCL, D-block, Defence Colony, Delhi. I went there today and saw liquid wax by Formula 1 for 350 bucks.

Attaching the pic of a Formula 1 Scratch Out I saw, please compare it with the pic posted earlier.

Moreover, if I'm going for liquid wax then should I go in for Formula 1 as now it's available?
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-150920092087.jpg  

Old 16th September 2009, 00:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Buddy, I'm unaware of this water beading concept and what it has to do with wax, please explain.

Yes, but I saw it at In & Out, BPCL, D-block, Defence Colony, Delhi. I went there today and saw liquid wax by Formula 1 for 350 bucks.

Attaching the pic of a Formula 1 Scratch Out I saw, please compare it with the pic posted earlier.

Moreover, if I'm going for liquid wax then should I go in for Formula 1 as now it's available?
Well, if the surface beads water, it can be an indication that the wax layer is still present.

If its its the liquid protectant then I believe it costs around Rs. 300, IIRC.

The Scratch Out bottle looks different...

Sorry, I haven't personally used F1 liquid... but if its genuine F1, it should be good. Just make sure its not abrasive, if you want it for regular use.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need a true wax. The best ones have a high concentration of quality carnauba wax. Carnauba is made from a plant and is very hard in its natural state. There are several good ones on the market, Zymol, Meguiars, turtle wax,etc.
The brands mentioned are pretty poor compared to the actual good waxes. Turtle produce some of the worst waxes around and I would not even wax my bicycle with it. Meguiars for me has never been durable enough. The wax to go for is Collinite 845 or Collinite 476. They are very easy to apply, durable and even after several months the water beading is fine. 476 if applied correctly can last close to a year.

I am surprised some of you are having to wax every month. A good wax should last a couple of months.

As for the photos of the stuff posted in the first post on this thread, that is some cheapo brand which looks similar to stuff you can get in England for £1 from Poundland (RS80). The only reason I would buy it is for the sponge applicator included in the lid. The wax is likely to be el cheapo and fit for the bin. If you are going to use energy to wax your car you might as well do it with something that will last.

Quote:
Dr, looks as if you have found a good wax. If it is lasting 6 months then I suggest others to also use this instead of the other brands mentioned on this thread.

Last edited by bigman : 16th September 2009 at 20:11.
Old 16th September 2009, 20:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

I just bought a Formula1 Wax and Formula1 Wash and Wax for Rs.300 in Chennai GP Road.
I don't know whether it's original or not.
It doesn't have any importer sticker.
I asked the shopkeeper too.
He told he got it from some other source and he is not ready to disclose the source.
is it any way to find duplicate?
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009200.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009201.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009202.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009203.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009205.jpg  

Last edited by aks_karthik : 16th September 2009 at 21:06.
Old 16th September 2009, 21:12   #52
BHPian

What about amway's silicon glaze? Anyone used it? Heard its good!!
Old 16th September 2009, 22:51   #53
BHPian

I've heard good things about the Amway car care products. Will be getting a set of free samples soon enough (one of my family friends has a large Amway distribution setup in Chennai). Can't wait to try it, hoping someone here has some experience regarding these products.

Waxpol - Seems that many on the forum have had a good experience with this brand. I've never tried it, nor have I seen it in any store, I think perhaps I should give it a try.

F1 - Love the wax, the shampoo and the detailer. Great brand, but use only the hard wax, not the liquid.

Turtle - Never had any complaints, I use the Turtle heavy duty rubbing compound, and it's amongst the best I've used/seen. I love the latest synthetic waxes from Turtle. I used to use their car shampoo as well prior to trying F1, and it's very good.

Meguiars - I find them comparable to Turtle, love their new synthetic wax, and PlastiX polish.

Kit - By J&J, one of the only liquid waxes I enjoy working with. Easy on and easy off. Kit makes some amazing car detailing products, but I've not seen them in India.

I've been using Kit, Meguiars and Turtle for the last 15+ years of my life, my dad has used Meguiars and Kit for a lot longer. Always been happy with the quality of the product. As stated in this thread, there is a clear cut difference between a polish and a wax, and these companies do clearly advertise what their products do, so read the labels!

Water beading isn't the best test of a car wax, but whatever it is, I've seen water bead for 4 months, but that's only because I'm pretty compulsive about waxing, and I do a lot of maintainance waxing. The longest any of my cars have gone without a thorough waxing has been 4 months...

Lastly people asking about shampoos with carnuba wax in them, it's a very simple phenomenon. There is something called maintainance waxing. In India we have people to wash our cars, but in the west such a thing is unheard of, and thus people wash, wax and detail their own cars (For the most part, services are available, but are extremely expensive)
Therefore waxing a car is something done once in 2-3 months or longer. This is equal to an average of 20,000-30,000KM or so. Therefore liquid wax was mixed into the wash water to maintain the shine and thickness of the wax coat. Today some companies offer wax pre-mixed into their shampoos. This product is not a replacement for waxing your car.

NOTE: Extended periods of water beading can very well be caused by maintainance waxing.
Old 16th September 2009, 22:57   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
I just bought a Formula1 Wax and Formula1 Wash and Wax for Rs.300 in Chennai GP Road.
He told he got it from some other source and he is not ready to disclose the source.
There is that infamous 'Made in USA' sticker in the second pic which is doubtful, as per the earlier posts made by other members. Take it with a pinch of salt.
Old 17th September 2009, 00:04   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Seems genuine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
I've heard good things about the Amway car care products. Will be getting a set of free samples soon enough (one of my family friends has a large Amway distribution setup in Chennai). Can't wait to try it, hoping someone here has some experience regarding these products.

Waxpol - Seems that many on the forum have had a good experience with this brand. I've never tried it, nor have I seen it in any store, I think perhaps I should give it a try.
I don't claim to have tried all Amway products, but I'v not been very happy with the ones I'v tried. For cars, they have some dashboard/leather/vinyl cleaner. Can't recall the exact name. It wasn't even worth the time it took to apply it. Waste of time and money.

As for Waxpol, its not all products from a particular brand are good. Their Silicone Polish is a below average product.

Guys, once again, whatever products you use, please destroy or deface the container when you throw them. Else it can come right back to us filled with gunk.

Quote:
The brands mentioned are pretty poor compared to the actual good waxes. Turtle produce some of the worst waxes around and I would not even wax my bicycle with it. Meguiars for me has never been durable enough. The wax to go for is Collinite 845 or Collinite 476. They are very easy to apply, durable and even after several months the water beading is fine. 476 if applied correctly can last close to a year.
Thats the 1st time I'm hearing an adverse comment about Turtle!! As for Collinite, have never seen or heard about this brand. Is it even available in India?
Old 17th September 2009, 00:40   #56
Senior - BHPian

im sure if 3M comes to india with these products of the whole car care and performance products, then all other products will take a big beating!

here is a preview!
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009388.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009378.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009380.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009381.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009384.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009385.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009386.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-16092009387.jpg  

Last edited by Parm : 17th September 2009 at 00:43.
Old 17th September 2009, 01:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thats the 1st time I'm hearing an adverse comment about Turtle!! As for Collinite, have never seen or heard about this brand. Is it even available in India?
Take a look at some of the forums dedicated to detailing. Turtle products are slated, they have poor durability and are considered mass market rubbish. I tried some years ago and never bothered again.

Collinite is the best. If its not available in India then someone on t-bhp who deals in car accessories should corner the market for this stuff. It is expensive compared to turtle wax but its a quality product. You can source it on ebay.

Collinite Wax Products* :: Choice of the Pros :: Auto, Marine and Industrial

Last year my neighbour used some Autoglym wax for a winter wax on his car. I used Collinite 845 on my car at around the same time and it beat Autoglym hands down for durability. His wax lasted a maximum of 2 months whilst the Collinite was still working fine after well in excess of 6 months.

I waxed my car again about a month ago using Collinite 845. I am thinking of topping this up with some Collinite 476 and seeing how they perform in combo during the winter.
Old 17th September 2009, 22:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post

Collinite is the best. If its not available in India then someone on t-bhp who deals in car accessories should corner the market for this stuff. It is expensive compared to turtle wax but its a quality product. You can source it on ebay. His wax lasted a maximum of 2 months whilst the Collinite was still working fine after well in excess of 6 months.
I am going to search for Collinite the day after tomorrow and wax half the bonnet with Collinite and the other half with Waxpol. Lets see which lasts longer. All this if I can get hold of Collinite which might be tad difficult in Cochin. I have a gut feeling that both have the same composition.
Old 18th September 2009, 01:44   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to search for Collinite the day after tomorrow and wax half the bonnet with Collinite and the other half with Waxpol. Lets see which lasts longer. All this if I can get hold of Collinite which might be tad difficult in Cochin. I have a gut feeling that both have the same composition.
Sounds like an interesting little test, why not use a bit of masking tape and split the bonnet into 3 or 4 test bases. Use turtle wax, collinite, waxpol and maybe F1 and then see which is the winner.

If you can't get any collinite drop me a PM with your full address etc and on my next trip to India I will send you a tin.
Old 18th September 2009, 16:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
There is that infamous 'Made in USA' sticker in the second pic which is doubtful, as per the earlier posts made by other members. Take it with a pinch of salt.
earleir post snaps also has the 'Made in USA' sticker which is hidden behind the importer sticker.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks