Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:11   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Try using a dish wash soap such as pril or vim drop, It will completely rip off the wax and will cause no harm to the paint work if done gently, If it doesn't work, try wiping with a cloth soaked in petrol, If it works, wipe and wash the surface with soap immediately, Don't let the petrol to stay on the surface for a long time.

After the hardened wax goes, coat the car with a nice liquid wax, Try finding the small 3M liquid wax bottle, It will cost you 90Rs.
If I use an abrasive wax + polish combination do you think it would help ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Could you please clarify this line - did you actually wash the car with a proper car wash, wipe it dry, wait for maybe 10-15 minutes and then start the waxing? Also , did you apply the wax with a damp cloth/sponge?
Wax should be soluble in petroleum products, so you may try that petrol soaked cloth.

Yes the car was washed using Sonax Car Shampoo, I dried the car completely and then after 15 mins the waxing process started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
maglev...

Try this... take dry, clean cotton cloth and go rub the waxed area, with a LOT of strength....

Try this in a 4 inch x 4 inch area and rub hard in this area. See if the wax goes away..

I have tried this but the wax is completely dry, It is not showing any signs of giving up.

Last edited by maglev : 3rd November 2009 at 00:17.
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:27   #197
Senior - BHPian

^^^

Could you maybe post a pic of the can of wax? top and sides.
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:42   #198
BHPian

Quote:
^^^

Could you maybe post a pic of the can of wax? top and sides.
I tried doing that but by then it was already dark.

I was not able to get the scratches in the picture, the car now wears a matte look instead of the usual gloss.

I Would click pictures in the morning and then post.

Edit: I mistook your post for the pictures of my car. Will post Pictures of the can (Wax) right now.

Last edited by maglev : 3rd November 2009 at 00:47.
Old 3rd November 2009, 00:59   #199
BHPian

Here are the pictures of the 100gms Waxpol tin that I used.

It says the following on the underside:
Batch No. 57
MFD. 19.06.09
M.R.P. Rs. 74.00

The stains on the can are dried Waxpol itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-03112008019.jpg  

Huge Fake Car Polish/Wax market in India-03112008018.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2009, 01:25   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Here are the pictures of the 100gms Waxpol tin that I used.

It says the following on the underside:
Batch No. 57
MFD. 19.06.09
M.R.P. Rs. 74.00

The stains on the can are dried Waxpol itself.
This is the same thing used by AbhiJ. So we can rule out wrong material or fake.
Now I guess AbhiJ can point out some place in the actual application process where something has gone wrong.
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:11   #201
Senior - BHPian

maglev, did you apply the polish liberally or a thin coat?
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:50   #202
Senior - BHPian

Maglev use a cloth soaked in Diesel to clean the wax. Basically more the Canuba wax harder it is to apply and more shine it gives.

Wxpol is a good Carnuba based wax with fewer additives thus hard to apply.

I remember when I was a kid in 80s and Mosiac flooring was a rage instead of Vitrified tiles like today a mixture of Waxpol + Soap ( not detergent ) and tarpentine oil was used to polish newely laid floors after grinding to make it easy to apply.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:54   #203
BANNED

As said before I got Collinite 476 from that site and last weekend spent 3 hours washing and waxed the car with this wax. The wax looks whitish and is hard unlike Formula-1.
The can says it effect lasts up to a year which I feel is a little far fetched and certainly impossible for Indian conditions.

Well, the waxing wasn't much difficult and is same as with other wax polish except the wax is hard. I applied it in sections and left it to haze and then rubbed the wax off with a soft banian. The car shone after the polish, much better than the F1's, and the beading must be good because though I haven't tested it on the car the banian used for wiping off the wax was beading water heavily when I was washing it later

Anyways two days later I have a fine layer of dust on my car since my route takes me though some very dusty environs due to construction activity Have to see if the shine comes back up during next wash.
This wax is pretty expensive since they charged me Rs.2400 though the invoice said the price was Rs.1,500. So with our own Waxpol costing pennies compared to this it should last me at least a couple of months if not more to be really worth.

So decision pending.

Last edited by zaks : 3rd November 2009 at 11:55.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:35   #204
BHPian

Quote:
If I use an abrasive wax + polish combination do you think it would help ??
Yes it might work, But stay away from using abrasives by hand if it is a black car, swirl marks show up very easily, Did you try the dishwash and the petrol soaked cloth method?
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:28   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the same thing used by AbhiJ. So we can rule out wrong material or fake.
Now I guess AbhiJ can point out some place in the actual application process where something has gone wrong.
Well, I followed the instructions on the tin.

I moistened a cloth, and applied a thin layer of wax on the car. I even put in 2 layers on one portion, just to experiment and see.

I let the car dry for 30+ mins. Then I remembered some urgent work and told my chaueffeur to start buffing it out. and I ll join him in a couple of mins. 10 mins later, he came to me and said its not coming off. And he wanted to use turpentine on it!!

I went to the car and found that this wax bonds to the paint very well, hence he could not remove it, he was just swirling the wax around.

I then started from the edge and started buffing. It did not work, the wax just moved around, and did not come out. Then I tried to buff it out with a LOT more strength, and then the wax started to come out, leaving the paint shining.

Maglev, give me a day's time, I ll experiment with the wax & different solvents tomorrow and let you know how to safely remove it.

Also, what is the colour of the waxpol you have?
The one I have is darkish green..
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:47   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
maglev, did you apply the polish liberally or a thin coat?
I applied a thin coat of polish, as I was aware of the fact that Waxpol takes a lot of time + hard work to buff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Maglev use a cloth soaked in Diesel to clean the wax. Basically more the Canuba wax harder it is to apply and more shine it gives.

Wxpol is a good Carnuba based wax with fewer additives thus hard to apply.

I remember when I was a kid in 80s and Mosiac flooring was a rage instead of Vitrified tiles like today a mixture of Waxpol + Soap ( not detergent ) and tarpentine oil was used to polish newely laid floors after grinding to make it easy to apply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Yes it might work, But stay away from using abrasives by hand if it is a black car, swirl marks show up very easily, Did you try the dishwash and the petrol soaked cloth method?

The car is a Silver Octavia.

Diesel or petrol soaked cloth seems to be the only option, till then waiting for AbhiJ's reply.

Quote:
Well, I followed the instructions on the tin.

I moistened a cloth, and applied a thin layer of wax on the car. I even put in 2 layers on one portion, just to experiment and see.

I let the car dry for 30+ mins. Then I remembered some urgent work and told my chaueffeur to start buffing it out. and I ll join him in a couple of mins. 10 mins later, he came to me and said its not coming off. And he wanted to use turpentine on it!!

I went to the car and found that this wax bonds to the paint very well, hence he could not remove it, he was just swirling the wax around.

I then started from the edge and started buffing. It did not work, the wax just moved around, and did not come out. Then I tried to buff it out with a LOT more strength, and then the wax started to come out, leaving the paint shining.

Maglev, give me a day's time, I ll experiment with the wax & different solvents tomorrow and let you know how to safely remove it.

Also, what is the colour of the waxpol you have?
The one I have is darkish green..

Your reply is eagerly awaited

The colour of wax in my tin is also dark green, it resembles dark green ALGAE.

EDIT: Thanks for giving information about your chauffeur's suggestion's, My dad's chauffer said the same thing.

Last edited by maglev : 3rd November 2009 at 13:51.
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:07   #207
Senior - BHPian

then I think you need to hire some muscleman to get it removed and get the requiste shine (trust me..nothing compares to this monster!)
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:31   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your reply is eagerly awaited
Will let you know by tommorow...

If you want to experiment on your own, you can try this..

put some waxpol on a sheet of glass, and try to remove it with various solvents...
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:27   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Will let you know by tommorow...

If you want to experiment on your own, you can try this..

put some waxpol on a sheet of glass, and try to remove it with various solvents...

Thats a nice suggestion, will try doing that today itself.
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:37   #210
Senior - BHPian

^^^

You can try what AbhiJ has suggested, but be aware that certain solvents can also stain/dissolve the paint coat on the car itself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks