Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2009, 19:51   #271
Senior - BHPian

Where are they going to source the rpm signal from?
The alto is distributorless, no?
Old 18th July 2009, 19:59   #272
BHPian

Which MASS

Hey GPA, since i'm in Blore too, could you temme which MASS are you referring to please. As i menioned earlier, I have a Zen and would like to get the Ritz tach if possible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Yup, it will look nice too. I think all inclusive the tacho + cable + labor for fitting should not cost more than Rs. 1750. Is there anything that I'm missing out?

The only problem is atleast in the stock room attached to the M.A.S.S outlet, they will not sell compnents over the counter. So one will have to get it fitted at the dealer itself.
Old 18th July 2009, 20:37   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
opps sorry, i thought it was peter using your id. i suggest you that go for autogauge with shift light. will cost you in the range of 1500-2500 depending on the type and size you opt for.
Hey, could you gimme any more details about tachs starting at 1500 price range.. as in are they available for a 4-cylndr Zen and whats brand etc (Bcos i assumed AutoGauge is expensive than that), shift light available ?

Any details would be helpful in where to get them from.

Many thanks.
Old 18th July 2009, 20:50   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey, could you gimme any more details about tachs starting at 1500 price range.. as in are they available for a 4-cylndr Zen and whats brand etc (Bcos i assumed AutoGauge is expensive than that), shift light available ?

Any details would be helpful in where to get them from.

Many thanks.
2" cost less. 3 3/4" is bit costly. however the ones without the shift light cost between 1800-2000 rs. i got mine 3 3/4" with shift light and 7 color display autogauge for just 2300 rs.
it has switch behind for 2-3-4-6 cylinders. works like a charm. very accurate.
Old 18th July 2009, 22:31   #275
BHPian

I am guessing that the tacho in Ritz and A-star is connected with the ECU as its factory fitted. Getting the tacho retrofitted in an alto or any other car will be not be easy, as sourcing the signal from the ECU will be a tough task with the risk of damaging the ECU unless done by a professional.
Old 18th July 2009, 22:54   #276
Senior - BHPian

getting the source signal in an alto is the easiest thing ever. just connect the signal cable to the negative of the coil. however in wagon R and swift it becomes very tricky.
Old 18th July 2009, 23:22   #277
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey GPA, since i'm in Blore too, could you temme which MASS are you referring to please. As i menioned earlier, I have a Zen and would like to get the Ritz tach if possible..
The MASS would be Mandovi Motors, Gorguntepalya (Yeshwantpur)
Old 18th July 2009, 23:26   #278
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
getting the source signal in an alto is the easiest thing ever. just connect the signal cable to the negative of the coil.
Is it actually that simple in the Alto? So, fitting an A-Star's tacho should be a breeze. The only problem will be to get the backlighting's wiring and connection done I suppose.
Old 18th July 2009, 23:38   #279
Senior - BHPian

no issue on an alto at all. i just showed the electrician how to connect the wires. one to coil, one to accessories point on ignition and one to parking lights and one to ground(earthing). its very simple, even a amateur electrician can do it on alto.
however my electrician was very much talented and he just amazed me. he didnt cut a single wire. he just opened the fuse box and inserted all the wires in the slot , except the signal cable from coil.

just go back few pages and check out my tacho. go through all the pages you will see how easy it is to fit a tacho on alto.
Old 18th July 2009, 23:52   #280
BHPian

Quote:
getting the source signal in an alto is the easiest thing ever. just connect the signal cable to the negative of the coil. however in wagon R and swift it becomes very tricky.
I think thats only if the tacho is a 2 cylinder one, you cannot connect a 4 cylinder tacho to only the coil.
Old 19th July 2009, 00:23   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
I think thats only if the tacho is a 2 cylinder one, you cannot connect a 4 cylinder tacho to only the coil.
no it has nothing to do with the no of cylinders. it depends on the type of ignition. alto has a distributor coil. swift doesnt have any coil. so you have to tap the signal from the ecu.
Old 19th July 2009, 15:21   #282
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
just go back few pages and check out my tacho. go through all the pages you will see how easy it is to fit a tacho on alto.
Amit,

Did take at your tacho install. You have explained the process clearly which will help Alto owners like me. I like your tacho and also the smaller one in the Zen. I think I will check around BLR to see if the Autoguage ones can be found, else I will place an order for the A-Star one and have that fitted during my next service.

Cheers,
gpa
Old 19th July 2009, 15:26   #283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I will place an order for the A-Star one and have that fitted during my next service.
Do let me know if you manage to get one. Give me the part number too.
Old 19th July 2009, 15:52   #284
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious55 View Post
Do let me know if you manage to get one. Give me the part number too.
Most definitely will. It will take a while though as I still have a while to go for the 20K service. I'll also be checking to see if I can get it at the only over-the-counter MUL spares retailer her in BLR. If he indeed willing to place an order for the A-Star tacho, I don't mind shipping one to you.

Will keep you posted!

Cheers,
gpa
Old 20th July 2009, 11:45   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
The answer to this is the same problem iam facing. the A.S.S wont take the effort to connect the rpm signal wire to the ECU, where the VDI standard fitment Tacho get its inputs from. Mostly the wiring harness is different between the LDI and VDI and so a separate wire will have to be pulled from the from ECU.
This where both Hyundai and MUL decline. UM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
I am so sorry that it did not work out for you. But with a Swift diesel model already having a tachometer as standard, I am totally surprised as to why an external tachometer cannot be installed.
A tachometer is not ABS or airbag!
Sorry again!
Thanks trrk. I was heartbroken that it couldn't be done. Although... my MASS tried very hard, I'll give them that. The senior works manager at my MASS took the tacho installation manual from me, made a xerox, sent it to Bosch, Mico, and MUL, and followed up with them daily for a solution.

Finally, MUL reverted saying it couldn't be done. Which is BS, because it CAN be done... the only problem is that they're probably the only ones capable of doing it, but they won't.

Anyway... such is life. Sigh.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks