Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 03:25   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Mine is a Grey DZire.
I was thinking of putting it over the full car. Is it way too costly for the complete car? Or am I missing something?
Doing it for the whole car can get you spares to build the engine again.

In going to install PPF on my Swift by the coming weekend. The area that I shall apply are all 4 door edges and all 4 door handle cups.

The prices including taxes are:

All 4 door edges : Rs 728
All 4 door handle cups : Rs 728
Total : Rs 1456.

For these small areas the amount is nearing 1.5K, for the whole car it'll be crazy.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 15:21   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The prices including taxes are:

All 4 door edges : Rs 728
All 4 door handle cups : Rs 728
Total : Rs 1456.
How much for the bumper corners?

Why do you want it in the handle cups?
Old 7th January 2014, 15:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

I got it done for the handle cups as well on my Dzire. Thats the area which is most prone to self scratches, whenever the door handle is handled

For ORVM, door edges and handle cups, it had costed me around 2.3k in BLR. Including the bumper corner, i was quoted around 12k, so 10k must be for the bumpers, including taxes.
Old 7th January 2014, 15:41   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Imran the rate is per sq ft. It's difficult to guess.

Handle cups is needed cause of scratches due to finger nails or rings. Ofcourse does not apply to Sail since it has old style door handles not the grab type.
Old 7th January 2014, 23:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ofcourse does not apply to Sail since it has old style door handles not the grab type.
Even with the grab type, the cups do get scratched.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2014, 09:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have ventured into the PPF territory for my white Fortuner, knowing that it might/would turn creamish over a period of time. The Risk:Benefit ratio was weighing over to have this done and if it turns really bad, then the peel off option is always available(burns a big hole in the pocket, though!).

Please read the below thread for some more information on the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ortuner-5.html
Old 25th July 2015, 12:18   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Reviving my old thread, I did finally go in for the 3m PPF 5 years later! Most of my cars are white and as mentioned earlier, the 3m ppf is not recommended on white hence I could not try out the PPF. The 3m film that gpa mentioned which is meant for white cars yet hasn't made it to the market.

Now that I got a black car,I was keen to try out the PPF as black is a pain to maintain and prone to scratches. Boy was I pleased I got PPF installed as only a few weeks after my driver accidently brushed the front right bumper against a wall My heart sank as I was sitting behind in the car, quickly jumped out and saw the damage which made me furious however I immediately had a sigh of relief as I remembered my bumpers had the PPF. Next day, the PPF got replaced and the results are below:
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-3m-ppf.jpg
Clearly, it does work! It took almost 95% of the hit and after replacing only a minor few scratches/scruff around the edge of the air dam are barely visible if you look really closely. I am very finicky about this stuff and even I can totally live with that minor imperfection.

If you fitting is done well, as it is in my car now, there is no way one can tell there is a PPF installed. I have got the front bumper, rear bumper, side mirrors and all door edges protected by the PPF. Would definitely recommend it but be sure that the installer is experienced and gives you a perfect fitment finish.

Last edited by Sahil : 25th July 2015 at 12:24.
Sahil is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 12:45   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Clearly, it does work! It took almost 95% of the hit and after replacing only a minor few scratches/scruff around the edge of the air dam are barely visible if you look really closely. I am very finicky about this stuff and even I can totally live with that minor imperfection.
The PPF saved you from a potential bumper repaint!
Money well spend I would say.
Old 25th July 2015, 17:41   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I did finally go in for the 3m PPF 5 years later! Next day, the PPF got replaced and the results are below:
Clearly, it does work! It took almost 95% of the hit and after replacing only a minor few scratches/scruff around the edge of the air dam are barely visible if you look really closely. If you fitting is done well, as it is in my car now, there is no way one can tell there is a PPF installed.
Sahil, delighted to hear that PPF worked. When I did a full body on my XC60 several well meaning friends including on Team BHP advised against it - milkiness, costs, no one does this, 3M has made a bakra of you et al. looks like its working well for both of us. I am looking forward to your 6moth/12month update on how the S class is delivering and most importantly on Mercedes' after sales service - technical and attitude. All good wishes - Narayan
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 18:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Reviving my old thread, I did finally go in for the 3m PPF 5 years later! Most of my cars are white and as mentioned earlier, the 3m ppf is not recommended on white hence I could not try out the PPF. The 3m film that gpa mentioned which is meant for white cars yet hasn't made it to the market.
Hi Sahil,

I have booked a white car. If I can't go for PPF on white cars, is there an alternative to it? How do you manage your other white cars without PPF?
Old 25th July 2015, 22:35   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Hi Sahil,

I have booked a white car. If I can't go for PPF on white cars, is there an alternative to it? How do you manage your other white cars without PPF?
No alternative to PPF. Just get them detailed twice a year to keep it Shiney and cure the jaundice
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2015, 10:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Clearly, it does work! It took almost 95% of the hit and after replacing only a minor few scratches/scruff around the edge of the air dam are barely visible if you look really closely.
Sahil, did they have to peel off the entire PPF of front bumper and then replace? How much did it cost to change the PPF? How do you compare the cost of changing PPF vis-a-vis paint touch up that you would have to do if there was no PPF? Trying to understand the cost benefit of fitting the PPF v/s paint touch up if there are any scratches.
Old 29th July 2015, 15:28   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Sahil, did they have to peel off the entire PPF of front bumper and then replace? How much did it cost to change the PPF? How do you compare the cost of changing PPF vis-a-vis paint touch up that you would have to do if there was no PPF? Trying to understand the cost benefit of fitting the PPF v/s paint touch up if there are any scratches.
Yes, they did peel off the entire thing and refit it however that was because the initial fitting was not done up to the mark and I had complained to 3m about it hence they were to replace it anyway. The scratch fortunately/unfortunately happened just a day before the replacement was to happen so in a way i got lucky.

Touch up paint is no comparison to the PPF. Infact touch up paints overtime only look shabby. Comparing PPF costs with full repaint of the bumper costs is more fair to look at it. The PPF costs half as much as the costs of repainting the entire bumper from the authorized dealership.

I believe you do not need to change the entire film incase damaged and only the damaged area can be replaced. This will save a lot of costs but finishing wont be the same as it is will be a separate piece hence a thin line separating new piece and old might show but should be something you can live with.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2015, 12:37   #29
BHPian

Hello all.

Has anyone gone for PPF installation on the bonnet? I have a Jazz. Not even a month old and somebody has already put a long arc like scratch across the center of the bonnet. Luckily it seems to have only involved the clear coat, and the paint to some extent. Saying so as its visible only from an angle, and not if looked at while standing at the front of the car. Can't feel it either while running my fingers over it. However thinking of getting the scratch removed and the PPF installed before the miscreant has another go at the car.

3M gave me a tentative quote of INR 14,000 with free removal of the scratch. Ofcourse, final quote would be given only after they actually measure the bonnet surface area.
Old 31st August 2015, 13:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanker99 View Post
Hello all.

Has anyone gone for PPF installation on the bonnet?.
Not on the bonnet, but I got 3M Scratch Guard (not Pro) installed on my 2015 Jazz VX MT (Urban Titanium) within a week of purchase.

The following areas were covered:

- Front fenders
- C pillars
- Front and rear bumpers
- Door edges

The installation was done at 3M Gurgaon. I feared the orange peel effect (which is not the case with Scratch Guard Pro, but that is not available in India), but it turned out well.

The edge of the rear bumper started peeling within a matter of days. I would need to take it back to 3M to fix it. But the rest of the panels are fine.

I would recommend the film, overall.

Would post pics in my upcoming Jazz thread!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks