Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 17:27   #166
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallardo_17 View Post
Hello Ajay, Did you get it done from Car care Mayapuri ? Because he's offering me almost the same deal .
Yes Gallardo, I got this done at Galaxy Car Care, Mayapuri.

He did a good job on my black Verna in Feb this year. The wrap quality is decent and the car looks rather new to most people, though it is about 3 years old overall and about 10 months with the PPF wrap. The workshop guys are well-versed and ethical - they were happy to do the follow-on complimentary detailing and PPF replacements FOC.

Cheers!
AjayJohri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 14:00   #167
BHPian

Has anyone heard of Proteq PPF brand? It's a Taiwanese brand and I was quoted 382/sq.ft. Haven't heard about it anywhere and quick search on Teambhp did not throw up any result.
Old 9th January 2021, 08:57   #168
BHPian

Re: New White Honda City - which protection and accessories to go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TR-FE View Post
Hearty Congratulations on getting a new car.

Disclaimer: Based on my experience, this is my personal stand on ceramic coating and PPF. I don't mean to offend anyone. Also, I am related to Autotriz HYD and CarzspaHyderabad just as a consumer.

I have developed automotive detailing as my hobby since 8+ years. With all the knowledge that I have acquired, I would not recommend everyone to go for ceramic coating primarily due to its high price. I got one of my bikes ceramic coated at Autotriz HYD. The first application costed me a bomb.

As far as PPF is concerned, a high quality PPF should be compulsorily installed around the door handles, edges of all doors and boot entry area. Application of PPF to bumpers is a personal call. In my case, I would prefer to get it repainted every 8 months/year (if damaged) from a good painting booth as all my cars are beater cars.

This way, you can spend the saved money in getting useful accesories for your ride. I have recently got my pre-owned Vento detailed at Carzspa Hyderabad. If possible for you, we can meet some day for a detailed discussion and a quick look of our rides .
Went ahead with the following treatments at 3M in Hyderabad:
1) Underbody corrosion treatment - 5 year warranty
2) Ceramic coating with free touchup/reapplication every 90 days (2 years package)
3) PPF on scratch prone areas (inside of door handles, running boards, door edges, ORVMs and both bumpers)

Edit: The PPF coating is nearly invisible, unless you look up close. The team assured me that there would be very minimal yellowing, after 2+ years, if at all.

Sharing some pictures.. please excuse the poor photography skills.

Ceramic coating shine:
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-driver-side-view.jpg
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-rear-view.jpg

Difference in Sunlight vs. shaded area:
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-sunlight-vs-shaded.jpg

Silencer Coating:
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-silencer-coating.jpg

Underbody Treatment:
Before:
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-underbody-before.jpg
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-underbody-before-2.jpg
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-underbody-before-3.jpg

After:
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-underbody-after.jpg
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-underbody-after-2.jpg

Final Comparison:
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-first-image.jpg
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-next-image.jpg

A huge thank you to the 3M team (Raghav, John and Abdul) for guiding me through the process and patiently explaining all the features in detail. The work was done at 3M Somajiguda.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-silencer-dnu.jpg  

Last edited by Arvindyoga : 9th January 2021 at 08:59. Reason: Added more details
Old 10th January 2021, 08:03   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
There is one app called gomechanic where full body ppf with Avery Dennison is quoted at around 65k. I've no feedback about them.
I went down the 3M route as I could not find anyone a year ago, this time around it would be for the doors. Please do keep us posted. Also kindly ensure that claying and polishing is done before application of the film.
Old 11th January 2021, 21:52   #170
bvk
BHPian

Guys, any feedback on the Nexgard PPF? I was quoted about 60k for full body (except roof) of Tiguan Allspace - non self-healing type. I was told that it is not required, and regular PPF would do the job 90% of the time for half the cost of self-healing type. Any feedback or tips will be really helpful. Thanks!
Old 28th January 2021, 17:58   #171
BHPian

Autzilla PPF centre

Hi,

We just bought a GLC 220d from Landmark Mercedes. For the PPF they are suggesting the place Autzilla in Goregaon.

https://goo.gl/maps/5tptkJfGU11rBdtt6

They said the place is run by an ex-Landmark guy and does a great job. He is quoting 85k (only in cash) for a Hexis ppf film and a ceramic coat for the GLC.

Does anyone have any experience with this place or getting a ppf put on their GLC ? He is saying the the cost will only go down by 5k for my KIA Sonet as he still needs to order a big ppf sheet, this part seems weird to me as the Sonet is way smaller.
Old 28th January 2021, 21:54   #172

I did a full body wrap with Llumar self healing PPF almost 2 years ago for my brand new Polo GT TSI. It cost me a lakh and I think it was personally the worst way a person can blow their money.

Being my first new car I was really excited and believed that this is the best solution to keep my car looking new over time. As you must have already guessed by now, it wasn't to be.

The PPF has torn off in many places over time with the mildest of touches from rickshaws and other cars. Harder hits cause it to peel off like an orange. The demo which I was shown using a wire brush over a wrapped panel does not take into consideration the weight of another vehicle on it.

I had called Llumar for this and they directed me to universal auto in Sewree, which is their authorised place, from where I got all the work done. On mild cuts, even with their professional heat gun, there was absolutely no self healing seen in the film.

As others in this discussion have mentioned, after a cut or tear in the film, only patchwork is done, which not only spoils the look, but remains as a constant itch in the back of your head. Also, for dents, a patch needs to be cut out before the dent is fixed and the repainting is a must, which defeats the purpose of the expensive PPF.

In hindsight, it has been a learning experience, painful as it is. During the service at VW, the guy who was inspecting my car was curious about the wrap and asked me about the price and other details. After thinking about it for a bit, he said, why don't you just get the entire car repainted from VW every 2 years, it'll be cheaper. I was laughing, not at him, but at myself, for my own stupidity.
Akiv is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 02:37   #173
BHPian

Hi everybody,
Got a quote of INR 9000 for prone parts and for the bonnet INR 10000 for brand called Carlori PPF for our new Jeep Compass 2021 by the dealer - Landmark. Any opinions/ advice welcome .
Old 26th February 2021, 09:07   #174

I have recently acquired a Versys 1000, that is sitting in the basement, waiting for registration plates! (I've been dying to say that for years now, atleast the first part!).

What has been the experience of others in PPF application on a motorcycle of this type?

Given the close quarters you see everything from, and the curves on the tanks & fairing, is bubbling a high concern? I am also concerned about the cuts an installer will make on the paint, since most (all) examples I see aren't precut.

About the brand, I have been pitched a brand called UltrashieldX, any feedback on this or brands that work better on motorcycles.

Looking to get this done in Mumbai or within 500kms, if you know what I mean. ��
Old 1st March 2021, 03:46   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livetor1de View Post
I have recently acquired a Versys 1000, that is sitting in the basement, waiting for registration plates! (I've been dying to say that for years now, atleast the first part!).

What has been the experience of others in PPF application on a motorcycle of this type?

Given the close quarters you see everything from, and the curves on the tanks & fairing, is bubbling a high concern? I am also concerned about the cuts an installer will make on the paint, since most (all) examples I see aren't precut.

About the brand, I have been pitched a brand called UltrashieldX, any feedback on this or brands that work better on motorcycles.

Looking to get this done in Mumbai or within 500kms, if you know what I mean. ��
Unless the installer is very skilled then it will be extremely hard do get a good wrap job on a bikes curves.

I would suggest getting a coating like Max Protects Nanocoat R. It a sort of hybrid between ceramic and rubber coating with stronger and longer lasting bond to the paint.
The coating is also a bit thicker.
The main dealer is in Ulhasnagar and there is a sub dealer in Chembur
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 06:06   #176
Senior - BHPian

3M gave me a PPF wrap just for 'areas of probable impact' 3 1/2 years back, for about 12K. The finishing was top notch. An auto (and a biker) grazed it deeply within a year, and I thought my paint was a goner. But on peeling it, I could not believe the protection it had offered. My car went back to being brand new, once again. There wasn't a single scratch. I was impressed. So the film was 'part-peeled' by them, and covered only for 'damaged areas'. Again, in just a few months an auto hit my bumper, and a biker grazed another side quite badly. It's really tough to maintain the car over here. You have no control on these things, since people are just not careful. Of all the years I have been driving overseas, not once - have I got a scratch from another vehicle. But in India, PPF it is a necessity I feel. Anyways, I was getting ceramic done, so this time went in for XPEL. Upon peeling the old film, the car looked factory fresh and I'm amazed at this kind/level of protection. Else I'd have to repaint the areas, for sure. Repainting has its issues. Paint match, merging it with faded areas, takes skill. Cost is not cheap either. XPEL has cost me 16K for just the bumpers, and a few bits here n there. Now, a biker has grazed it again at a signal and will need some 'touching up'. It's really frustrating for me.

The 'self heal' properties are a sham I feel. Or maybe it just lasts for few months. I threw some hot water on it (as instructed) but it's not coming together. However, the usability of such protective films can't be dissed. And this is the point I'm trying to make. Llumar isn't a good quality film, you should go with either XPEL or 3M (and have an experienced guy apply it). There lies the magic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiv View Post
It cost me a lakh and I think it was personally the worst way a person can blow their money. In hindsight, it has been a learning experience, painful as it is. During the service at VW, the guy who was inspecting my car was curious about the wrap and asked me about the price and other details. After thinking about it for a bit, he said, why don't you just get the entire car repainted from VW every 2 years, it'll be cheaper

Last edited by Sebring : 1st March 2021 at 06:08.
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2021, 17:20   #177

Hi Everyone, I have booked Tata safari Royal blue and expecting delivery next week. I am worried about the scratches visible in this shade of color and thinking to get the PPF applied. can any of you please suggest a good center in Bangalore to get this done. Thank you.
Old 1st March 2021, 18:52   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiv View Post
I did a full body wrap with Llumar self healing PPF almost 2 years ago for my brand new Polo GT TSI. It cost me a lakh
A good installer charges a minimum of Rs. 50 per sq ft. For a full car, assume 220 sq ft. (give or take a few). This is Rs. 11,000 alone out of the lakh you spent. Then the rent for using the space, detailing before film install etc. and finally the margins will leave very less money for the actual material. Sorry to say but please ask what material has actually been applied.
Old 1st March 2021, 19:20   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelDmello View Post
Hi Everyone, I have booked Tata safari Royal blue and expecting delivery next week. I am worried about the scratches visible in this shade of color and thinking to get the PPF applied. can any of you please suggest a good center in Bangalore to get this done. Thank you.
First of all, congrats on booking the new Safari. You can get the PPF done at any 3M outlet. Check the reviews of 3M outlets near your area and give them a visit to get a quotation for PPF. I had got it done at 3M RMV 2nd Stage about 2 years back, the work was done neatly and the PPF itself is holding up fine even after 2 years.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 18:08   #180

Greetings fellow BHPians.

This is my first post after being accepted in the community and I am so excited to be here. I always research extensively on TeamBHP before making any vehicle related decision, and I am still in the process of internalizing the fact that I am a part of the community now.

I have recently purchased a Mahindra XUV W11(Opt) AT in it's lakeside brown color. The color is stunning and I am considering getting something done to protect the car from fine scratches which appear over time.

The first step that I have taken is to ask the society car cleaner not to clean this vehicle (he still cleans my other vehicle, a TATA Tigor XZA 2018 white). Now, I am looking for your inputs to choose what kind of paint protection treatment should I get on the XUV 500. I have read extensively about two options, and I would request your inputs based on your personal experience and knowledge.

1) Paint protection film - I understand there are wide variety of PPFs available, they are bit expensive but need less maintenance. I am not sure if PPF will help me maintain the color of the car and prevent fine scratches which appear on the ORVM caps and bonnet while driving on highways due to nasty dust particles that keep flying.

2) Ceramic coating - I am given to understand that compared to PPF, ceramic coating results in a much better looking and glossy surface and helps with the appearances of the black plastic cladding as well as is applied on the glass surfaces also. I am not sure how long does it last. I understand that ceramic coating is comparatively less expensive than PPF, offers less resistance to scratches and needs maintenance as well.

Below are my requirements:

a) The paint should stay protected and the need for me getting a paint correction job doesn't arise soon.
b) Treated surfaces should offer some amount of resistance to dust and grime.
c) Should not hamper the original paint.
d) Makes the vehicle look good!
torquehead_sb is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks