Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2022, 12:02   #286
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Help needed!

Recently bought home the Audi A4, White. I have been contemplating getting the PPF of 3m. Have been quoted 590 per sqft for scotchgard and 950 per sqft for the Ventureshield.

I need to know if its worth the money around 2L for Ventureshield. More importantly mine is a white car and i have heard of the film turning pale in a couple of years therefore making the white car look pale ad yellowish. Is this true?? Anyone having experience with this?
Vidzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 14:50   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidzy View Post
Help needed!

Recently bought home the Audi A4, White. I have been contemplating getting the PPF of 3m. Have been quoted 590 per sqft for scotchgard and 950 per sqft for the Ventureshield.

I need to know if its worth the money around 2L for Ventureshield. More importantly mine is a white car and i have heard of the film turning pale in a couple of years therefore making the white car look pale ad yellowish. Is this true?? Anyone having experience with this?
I had taken quote for my A4 . Lummar Platinum @1.4Lacs with 10 Yrs warranty.
However, after reading some horror stories about PPF on the forum I have dropped the plan.
goenkakushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 02:19   #288

Anyone from Chennai used Xpel PPF on their vehicle? If so, would appreciate the feedback of the detailing studio.
Old 18th February 2022, 11:19   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidzy View Post
Help needed!

Yes, please don’t put PPF, irrespective of brand, on a white car. Unless money is no object and you can replace every year. It will turn yellow in 1-1.5 years (sometimes less), that’s just how the current chemistry is. I have personally seen hundreds of white cars with yellowed out PPF, from different brands including 3M/Expel/Llumar.

Here’s an example of 3M PPF on an Octavia that isn’t even white but still has yellowed in under 2 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-1c3da6bb26ea43fb8f11f8d3844329f1.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-758b92f239f04921a8eaaf72a917ade8.jpeg  

AJ56 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 11:51   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Yes, please don’t put PPF, irrespective of brand, on a white car. Unless money is no object and you can replace every year. It will turn yellow in 1-1.5 years (sometimes less), that’s just how the current chemistry is. I have personally seen hundreds of white cars with yellowed out PPF, from different brands including 3M/Expel/Llumar.

Here’s an example of 3M PPF on an Octavia that isn’t even white but still has yellowed in under 2 years.
This Octavia has definitely undergone a shoddy PPF application.
The PPF cutting is so evident across the border, it has to be folded inside the panel so that dust does not accumulate on the PPF edges over a period of time. This will leave behind a black line which will look bad on lighter shades like Silver and White.
goenkakushal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 12:07   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
This Octavia has definitely undergone a shoddy PPF application.
The PPF cutting is so evident across the border, it has to be folded inside the panel so that dust does not accumulate on the PPF edges over a period of time. This will leave behind a black line which will look bad on lighter shades like Silver and White.
Correct, very poor application courtesy 3M but that’s not the point. Film yellowing has nothing to do with cutting, was showing that.
AJ56 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 14:35   #292

Hi I'm from Bangalore and I did a complete body PPF job from Xpel the Ultimate Plus version (no swirls/self healing one) and my white XC 40 still looks like a dream after 3 years. The detailing studio is an authorised outlet of Xpel and ussed to be called Autoprotect India but recently there's been a buyout and is called CarBuddys.
Of course this is the Bangalore sstudio i am referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhana View Post
Anyone from Chennai used Xpel PPF on their vehicle? If so, would appreciate the feedback of the detailing studio.
jamesmani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 21:15   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
Yes, please don’t put PPF, irrespective of brand, on a white car. Unless money is no object and you can replace every year. It will turn yellow in 1-1.5 years (sometimes less), that’s just how the current chemistry is.
Does Ceramic Coating on a white car produce this yellowing effect over time? I am assuming not as this must be a result of the PPF layer only.
Old 18th February 2022, 22:29   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1706 View Post
Does Ceramic Coating on a white car produce this yellowing effect over time? I am assuming not as this must be a result of the PPF layer only.
No it doesn’t, there is no plastic in ceramic coatings (as they’re mainly silica dioxide with additives). In fact paintwork that’s properly protected with a quality coating will not turn yellowish due to UV exposure over time as is the case with white cars that aren’t protected and regularly parked in direct sunlight.
AJ56 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 22:39   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Why I swear by PPF - Brushed against a solid rock while I was reversing in my native village and all it did was to rip off the PPF. Not even clear coat damage. Since I had applied PPF in three pieces on the front bumper, the left corner was already replaced since dad brushed against drain pipes in the parking and again zero damage to paint. Now the right corner gets this and I also replaced the PPF again and any signs of the damage is wiped off now.

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img_6015.jpg

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img_6111.jpg

Removal was easy after close to two years of use and the film had not yellowed. In fact I have applied the PPF on the headlight assembly also which has the highest UV exposure and so far no signs of yellowing.

Now I am contemplating buying the Slavia in white but worried that I cannot use PPF. Call me a horrible driver but the bumpers of our cars are prone to abuse and PPF has been a savior all these years.

Last edited by audioholic : 18th February 2022 at 22:41.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th February 2022, 00:37   #296

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmani View Post
Hi I'm from Bangalore and I did a complete body PPF job from Xpel the Ultimate Plus version (no swirls/self healing one) and my white XC 40 still looks like a dream after 3 years. The detailing studio is an authorised outlet of Xpel and ussed to be called Autoprotect India but recently there's been a buyout and is called CarBuddys.
Of course this is the Bangalore sstudio i am referring to.
Thank you jamesmani! I guess I'll have to evaluate options in Chennai for convenience and for maintenance over the years post application of PPF.
Old 19th February 2022, 22:06   #297

I would recommend Xpel PPF films and they're under the name Carsbuddy now (earlier they were called AutoProtect India) but they're an authorised dealer for Xpel films - a US based PPF manufacturer based off of Koramangala.
here's the link to their website;
https://carsbuddy.in
I did a full body PPF on my white Volvo XC 40 as it came off the showroom three years ago and my baby still gleams. It has over the years saved me quite a bit on paint jobs thanks to the PPF. I would highly recommend them, they're definitely steeper than your 3M especially the top end film which is the XPEL Ultimate Plus variant. It has a ten-year warranty for any yellowing, peel-offs etc.
I don't see any yellowing even though my baby is all white but then I do a yearly decontamination clean-up of the PPF at the same place which may have prevented any yellowing over the years.

Good luck!
Happy travels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur2smart View Post
Hello All, I'm expecting to take delivery of my KIA Sonet GTX+ this Friday. I had originally selected the white colour, however since suddenly Black was available, I moved swiftly. I had no plans to go for PPF with white.

Can someone suggest me a good detailer in Bangalore. I had contacted 3M and they have quoted very high. After that someone else referred a local detailer who is using Avery Dennison. I'm unable to find enough reviews to trust the brand. He has quoted roughly 55k for entire car except roof.

Would Really appreciate the help here.
jamesmani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 15:43   #298
BHPian

Hi friends, I had got my new endeavour done with Kavaca ppf (from ceramic pro) few months back.. has any other teamBHPian experienced this product

Last edited by sudhirdamo : 20th February 2022 at 15:51. Reason: Typo
sudhirdamo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 16:06   #299
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirdamo View Post
Hi friends, I had got my new endeavour done with Kavaca ppf (from ceramic pro) few months back.. has any other teamBHPian experienced this product
It's own brand of ceramic Pro.

No long term reviews anywhere in the world. This is some silly new fad in India.

Every detailer bringing their own brand of PPF and selling at lower cost. There is no specs or any data and you just have to go by what that detailer says.

They import in bulk unbranded PPF and all of them sell as their own brand.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2022, 19:04   #300
BHPian

Hi friends, Needed your suggestion on whether to consider PPF or Ceramic Coating for my 3 year old Abarth Punto. Considering that it is black in colour, it is very difficult to avoid minor scratches on doors, courtesy passerby, children and some uncivilized citizens who just cannot bear a well maintained shiny black car. Also smudge and swirl marks are visible unlike other colours. The red decals on the black car make it even worse when it comes to attention that it grabs. I try my best to get it washed and waxed at a detailer every 6 months but still cannot avoid seeing the minor scratches. The TPH car cover helps in apartment's parking with limited usage during the pandemic but once I start using the car to pre-pandemic levels, it is only going to increase.

Checked with BR Detailers in Gurgaon (whom I had visited for trying Turtle wax and was very satisfied with their work - entire car cleaning for interiors and exterior with wax) who quoted between INR 65,000 to INR 85,000 with 5 years warranty for PPF. I indicated that since it is a 3 year old car is it worth the money. In the alternative, she suggested to go for paint correction for INR 8000 which includes cleaning, washing and spray wax after correcting scratches throughout the body and claimed that the gloss stays for almost 6 months. While discussing, she suggested that for an old car customers usually go for pain correction annually which is cost effective.

Looking forward to your thoughts/ suggestions. Thank you.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks