Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 17:21   #226
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some expert advise on UltrashieldX PPF, a brand I've only seen at The Detailing Mafia.

> Has anyone ever had any experience with The Detailing Mafia ? How was it ?
> Any experience with the UltrashieldX PPF ? If yes, any downsides or word of caution ?
> A search on Google only gives back heavy marketing & promotional content, put together by The Detailing Mafia themselves; no other on-ground customer review

UltrashieldX PPF: While searching about more prominent detailing studios, i landed up on The Detailing Mafia chain of outlets. Did some research and found out that this chain has 50+ studios across the country and provides standardised branded products, across their outlets.
The PPF they offer goes by the name UltrashieldX. The guy quoted a 1.4 lacs for the entire car (GST inclusive), excluding the roof and B pillars (I am anyways wasn't planning on getting those done). 5 Years Warranty

This option is currently making sense to me, primarily because of:
1. The studio comes across as an established chain across the country; thus, I expect experienced staff and installers for PPF
2. If they offer UltrashieldX as a standard offering across their 50+ outlets, the quality should be decent enough, if not Xpel level bulletproof
3. The guy explained the process and answered all my questions patiently, during our 30-45 mins discussion
4. The studio looked well equipped, with good number of workforce working on multiple Mercs/BMWs/Skodas, etc.
5. Within my budget, although a little stretched, but I keep my cars for long (7-8 years minimum), so I am willing to make this 'investment'. Anything between a 1.2 to 1.4 lacs is my comfort zone this time

I feel the need to act fast as I am planning another vacation in 20 days and I fear another highway run would further cause damage to the paint work; and I really love the Galaxy Blue of my Compass
RBleo21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2021, 00:02   #227
BHPian

Has anyone heard of the PPF brand 'clifdesigns'? I was at opti-coat showroom in Bangalore and I'm offered this as a relatively cheaper alternative to their own opti-coat brand of PPF.
They mentioned it is from USA.
Old 17th October 2021, 18:58   #228
BHPian

Hi Motomonk,

Lovely looking black endeavour

I just got mine two days back and am burning midnight oil to research on PPF & Ceramic

I was too worried with maintenance of black, and switched to a 4WD Diffused silver that became available in last minute

Now that, I got it home - I am still concern with protecting this one so spoke to several vendors in Mumbai to get some inputs

Can you give your feedback on how the PPF is holding up ? Do you think the full wrapping is worth it and can survive five years odd .. Any special care you need to take ? Can we get a car with PPF washed at a regular car wash

Have you heard of KAVACA by Ceramic pro which is a 220 micron PPF self healing., I think they have an outlet at Rajajinagar

I am quite impressed by their solutions, amongst the options I reviewed so far and their thickness seems twice as much as 3M venture shield and prices are 30% higher appx

3M pro PPF in my opinion is absurdly priced, and was not considered by me

Thanks in advance

[quote=motomonk;5038973]Done with full-body PPF in Carzspa Bangalore. PPF used is Aegis, which is self-healing and pre-ceramic coated.
Old 17th October 2021, 21:10   #229
BHPian

[quote=sudhirdamo;5175022]Hi Motomonk,

I am quite impressed by their solutions, amongst the options I reviewed so far and their thickness seems twice as much as 3M venture shield and prices are 30% higher appx

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomonk View Post
Done with full-body PPF in Carzspa Bangalore. PPF used is Aegis, which is self-healing and pre-ceramic coated.
Higher thickness doesn't necessarily mean a better film. In fact, it is the opposite. Higher thickness films are considered to have higher optical distortion. If possible, consider films with 180 to 200 micron thickness.
vinodvaddi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 11:52   #230
BHPian

[quote=sudhirdamo;5175022]
I just got mine two days back
Quote:
Done with full-body PPF in Carzspa Bangalore. PPF used is Aegis, which is self-healing and pre-ceramic coated.
Congratulations! That's a bold decision. You will definitely enjoy it for coming years.
Its been ~6 months since I got full body PPF, i see it holding good so far. No special care required, I wash car myself most of the time (that builds deeper connection with the car!) and do opt for wash outside when it gets too dirty. I am satisfied with Carzspa guys, they are in touch and do monitor the PPF applied periodically. Haven't explored other brands, not sure about Kavac, but what i am sure about is that most of these sheets are sourced from China. Find a reliable dealer whom you can vouch on for years. Happy touring!

Last edited by motomonk : 18th October 2021 at 11:53.
motomonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 06:15   #231
BHPian

Hi Motomonk,

Quick clarification.. did your PPF cover for Endeavour include the roof area as well ?

The Kavaca guys were to include this before, they said it would be covered from the balance wastage from roll but now seem to backing out on same just a day before I collect back my car

They are saying not much of the roll is left over and that roof area is excluded and it would peel off & that Endeavour is tall car so it’s not needed as such and that they haven’t really done any roof PPF.. am a bit confused - isn’t full body ppf supposed to include all

Would you alternatively suggest some basic ppf from 3m (not self healing) to cover this part which is missed by KAVACA

Side question- does a CR70 film on the sunroof area make sense or am I getting too paranoid about roof protection

P.S

Haven’t done PPF earlier so this is an experiment of sorts for me, and an expensive one I hope to take away some learning from this

[quote=motomonk;5038973]Done with full-body PPF in Carzspa Bangalore. PPF used is Aegis, which is self-healing and pre-ceramic coated.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-cc13d8fdb7484b998b2962d7ccb40f3f.jpeg  

Old 22nd October 2021, 09:30   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Leaving the roof out is fine. That area is not really prone to swirls as much. Moreover the csr has a large sunroof so most of the area is glass anyway.

CR70 for the sunroof is not needed as you already have a shutter cloth below it to cut the heat. I have put it in the sunroof in one of my cars but doesn’t make much difference.

Lastly, what was the price you finally paid ? Please mention the rate per square ft or overall full car price along with the place you got it done. This will help others too for the future.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:52   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirdamo View Post
Quick clarification.. did your PPF cover for Endeavour include the roof area as well ?
Yes my package had the roof area covered. Practically roof is less prone to scratches. If vendor has agreed and not covered it, then you might want to use this pointer to bargain on the price a bit.
Your silver mammoth looks great! Less painful to maintain than my dust magnet black tank!
motomonk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 23:58   #234
BHPian

Thanks

Rest of the job was satisfactory.. I asked for ceramic on roof instead and they agreed …

Just took delivery after 5 days at Ceramic Pro south Mumbai; hopefully should be able to give real world feedback after I run this for a few weeks

Apparently, the instant healing nature takes time and will start around 45 days after application and once film is fully settled on the metal surface

Am looking forward to see if my investment in Kavaca was worth the time and money.. but so far all good and positive post delivery and have faith in the guys, and think support won’t be an issue

Quote:
Yes my package had the roof area covered. Practically roof is less prone to scratches. If vendor has agreed and not covered it, then you might want to use this pointer to bargain on the price a bit.
Your silver mammoth looks great! Less painful to maintain than my dust magnet black tank!
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-6f90cedc07d640598ba6dda0a9b83f0c.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-4f211f89f4c04ae58020a977296ebbff.jpeg  

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-b8911fd27c8842bd8a52fe2691702dd1.jpeg  

Old 23rd October 2021, 00:22   #235
BHPian

Hi Sahil,

It was a 5 day long research on PPF, wrap and ceramic for me, and I visited a wrapping service and 3m apart from Ceramic pro before deciding

Finally, I chose Kavaca which was the most expensive, even a bit more than 3M pro ppf which is appx 1100 odd for my endeavour which had an area of appx 240 sq ft

Spending 2.5 lakh plus on ppf for 42 lakh odd car was a very tough decision, but some factors for favouring KAVACA were

KAVACA is a global product and the india sales team was terrific, I checked with multiple ceramic pro outlets and they all seemed to know their product very well

Main point was it offered gloss, instant healing and 200 micron thickness which no one else on the market seemed to have

Also it came with a 10 year pan India warranty , I am generally a careful driver so perhaps I could utilise this well., and I thought ppf could yield better ownership and resale

As of now, Endeavour 4wd cost me 42 odd, post discount and removing tcs, which isn’t a cost since you can claim credit) so pretty much I ploughed back my discount and put in a bit more on this PPF and hope it will live up to my expectations

In today’s inflationary environment that we all find ourselves in, I think it’s very plausible that the next generation of endeavour and fortuner will surely surpass 60 lakh in next 2-3 years with all the added gizmos and ADAS features (and also taxes for endeavour if they take the CBU route and launch its next gen for india)

I am not sure if I will have the money or want to swap or upgrade it in 3-5 years, so the idea was to save safeguard this investment as best as I can for next 5-8 years and KAVACA though the most expensive ppf seemed like the safest bet for me to achieve the said objective

I am hoping to see how things pan out .. I just got the car back today late evening and was clean, Shiny and all feelings are positive right now

Will keep everyone posted on my ownership experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Lastly, what was the price you finally paid ? Please mention the rate per square ft or overall full car price along with the place you got it done. This will help others too for the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-6aefc80fca3b45dba37688a1b217b35a.jpeg  

sudhirdamo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 02:01   #236
BHPian

Is this the right forum to ask if Ceramic coating or PPF is required? I had a dark gray Polo which still looks brilliant without doing anything after 8 years. I just got a Blue Jeep Compass but I was told by SA that companies offer best of paint with all protection. Strongly suggested not to waste my money on any coats. Thankfully I listened to him coz I already had my trunk door replaced after an idiot dashed into a stationary car.

Considering these events happen and considering paint qualities are v good thse days and with well covered parking, does it still make sense to go for these mighty expensive coats?

A regular Formula 1 wax every few months should suffice is the advise I got. Looking for some opinions here.

Last edited by abhatt : 23rd October 2021 at 02:03.
Old 23rd October 2021, 14:27   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
Is this the right forum to ask if Ceramic coating or PPF is required? I had a dark gray Polo which still looks brilliant without doing anything after 8 years. I just got a Blue Jeep Compass but I was told by SA that companies offer best of paint with all protection. Strongly suggested not to waste my money on any coats. Thankfully I listened to him coz I already had my trunk door replaced after an idiot dashed into a stationary car.

Considering these events happen and considering paint qualities are v good thse days and with well covered parking, does it still make sense to go for these mighty expensive coats?

A regular Formula 1 wax every few months should suffice is the advise I got. Looking for some opinions here.
As a rule avoid taking detailing advice from salespeople, as 99% do not know what they’re talking about, most don’t have any experience with paint protection, specially long term.

Ceramic coatings are not compulsory, neither is PPF, but they make cleaning your paint very easy as fewer contaminants bond to it, it also adds gloss to the factory finish and protects it from harmful and corrosive elements that attack your paint everyday like bird droppings and tree sap.

What is compulsory is protecting your factory clearcoat, if you don’t want to spend on ceramics, at least put a quality paint sealant every 1-2 months or whenever a drop in water beading is observed. Waxes don’t last more than 3-4 weeks so constant reapplication becomes painful for some but if you can manage the shorter intervals, waxes also help with protection. Also read up on proper wash technique to avoid swirls and maintain gloss long term. Cheers.
AJ56 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 10:20   #238
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for options in Pune to get PPF done on my THAR. Please let me know if anyone from Pune can suggest based on their personal experience. Thanks!
Old 26th October 2021, 12:12   #239
BHPian

Hi all,

I am purchasing Jeep Compass - White, first week of Nov. Any recommendations for PPF at Kochi? Any experiences from Kochi vendors? [ 3M is the only one I found ].

The Jeep dealer said they can do Ceramic coating before delivery ( around 40k ). Giving the vehicle to another vendor soon after delivery ( that too for couple of days ) is pushing me to go for ceramic done by the dealer. They also say, its easier for me to get it serviced ( along with vehicle service ).

Any suggestions? If there are no trusted PPF installers at Kochi, I am inclined to get Cermaic coating done by dealer before delivery.
Old 28th October 2021, 08:36   #240
BHPian

Hi

Try and speak to Ceramic Pro Kochi

I assume they have a fairly large setup.. I got mine from Ceramic pro Mumbai and was satisfied

The social content generated by the kochi guys is good, and used as basis to make my decision before investing in Kavaca

One important suggestion.. don’t get the visors or any external accessories done before ppf, since they exclude that part and you get less value .. I saw some cars which came on Temp registration and owners later took delivery after full ppf from car showroom

[quote=enj0y_ride;5181571]Hi all,

I am purchasing Jeep Compass - White, first week of Nov. Any recommendations for PPF at Kochi? Any experiences from Kochi vendors? [ 3M is the only one I found ].
sudhirdamo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks