Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 16:07   #256
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishtin View Post
Why So? I am actually considering 3M Pro series PPF. They showed me a demo and some lab results against XPEL etc. 3M stands out. Earlier I had done my i20 with regular PPf of 3M, which lasted for 6 years without any issues.

So if you know something, please help me decide.
The film itself is fine it’s the poor workmanship found in most outlets that concerns people. There are multiple threads on team BHP alone going into detail about the lack of quality.

Lab results of tests conducted by 3M themselves have zero merit as there is inherent conflict of interest.

Last edited by AJ56 : 30th October 2021 at 16:08.
Old 1st November 2021, 18:09   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
I couldn't DM you, as you have mentioned in settings that you don't wish to receive messages from forum member. As we both are in market exploring for options for PPF at Hyderabad joining notes and negotiations might help. Let me know your thoughts.

I am really sorry about that. I didn't check the options in recent times as I was mostly a passive reader of the threads. Thanks for prompting it. I spoke to other Jeep Owners in my society and they said the same. It was better to leave the plastic claddings (if they are black like in Limited and below trims) than have them wrapped in PPF. So, I went with 3M guys over the weekend. They charged 1.2 L for 157 Sq.feet of the car plus CR-70 sunfilm for the windscreen, rear screen and 4 windows.

Got some good feedback by other Jeepers in my area that the 3M Car Care in Nanakramguda is good. When I went there, I found 3 more new compasses waiting to get the same thing done. I felt a bit more assured to see that. Got the car delivered yesterday and it looks like they did a decent job. No issues with the application at the edges. 90% is precut as they have a software for the dimensions of the vehicle type. So, all went well and I didn't find any issues with their work.
Swaroopblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 19:59   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaroopblr View Post
So, all went well and I didn't find any issues with their work.
That’s awesome. Can you please post few snaps for the benefit of the community :. Damages to pocket is less
Old 10th November 2021, 11:36   #259

I would rather go for 3M. My logic is that according to my research, 3M invented PPF. These new players STEK / XPEL etc have not seen the time that 3M has seen. There was no warranty beyond 1 year on 3M PPF. Who knows that there quality is as per what they claim. Fair & lovely claims to make you fair, but we all know the truth.

About yellowing, it is a natural process with any adhesive substrate. PPF alone cant protect from yellowing, no brand can claim this. The right way to prevent / delay yellowing of PPF is that one must keep putting wax on the car PPF, to avoid UV rays to effect the adhesive layer. Fortunately I was told this by 3M when I got the PPF done. And yes it worked. There was hardly any color change on my car PPF. I also have a few friends who have done PPF on a white car (which is daring given the yellowing situation), but few of them have been able to maintain the car well by waxing, and no yellowing is visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Guy Car Steamer in HSR/Haralur has it!

Proper ppf never spoils the paint (unless someone painted using a spray can over an existing area that has paint or some defect) and like I mentioned on another thread, it never peels of in bits and pieces, its always comes out like a film of latex.

IPA does not help in increasing the bonding of the film, it only helps in removing any foreign residue/dirt that might be on the surface. Most of the time, ppl siphon pvc sheets instead of ppf and use a glue that smells like IP to paste the film.

3M's is no more a brand worth the money, there focus is now the masses and quality has hence taken a toll. Consider yourself lucky that the ppf lasted and it didnt yellow and peel off! Also, the thickness and self healing capabilities of 3M cannot be compared with a STEK or Xpel pro!

I know of many a folks, who were assured one thing and given another, the unsuspecting user got to know about it after the damage had been done, hence personally, I would walk away from 3M.
Old 10th November 2021, 12:22   #260
BHPian

I wouldn't argue, but just because someone invented something, does not make them the masters at it. STEK and XPEL are new to India, not in the business though. I trust that you have held a each of the PPF material in your hands and then have formed your decision because if you haven't then I would suggest you do that. 3M feels like a cheap polythene bag that you get on the street from the fruit vendor when compared to that of STEK and XPEL.
Also, STEK I am confirmed and XPEL I am sure, both have variants that provide 5 and 10 years warranty on their products against yellowing.
I personally have applied 3M to my white colored superbike and STEK to my silver colored car and subjected them to similar abuses for the last 2 years and I can assure you that STEK is out of the league of 3M at the moment.

My two cents!

Quote:
I would rather go for 3M. My logic is that according to my research, 3M invented PPF. These new players STEK / XPEL etc have not seen the time that 3M has seen. There was no warranty beyond 1 year on 3M PPF. Who knows that there quality is as per what they claim. Fair & lovely claims to make you fair, but we all know the truth.

About yellowing, it is a natural process with any adhesive substrate. PPF alone cant protect from yellowing, no brand can claim this. The right way to prevent / delay yellowing of PPF is that one must keep putting wax on the car PPF, to avoid UV rays to effect the adhesive layer. Fortunately I was told this by 3M when I got the PPF done. And yes it worked. There was hardly any color change on my car PPF. I also have a few friends who have done PPF on a white car (which is daring given the yellowing situation), but few of them have been able to maintain the car well by waxing, and no yellowing is visible.
ssjr0498 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 11:49   #261

Dont mind me asking, but i have read a few threads of yours. Looks like you have singled out 3M everywhere. DO you have a personal anguish or a bad experience.

Because my experience is actually opposite of what you claim. As Team bhp'ians we are not supposed to associate or single out any brand, just share our experience, so that the people reading can get a fair idea.

Sorry if I misunderstood you dear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I wouldn't argue, but just because someone invented something, does not make them the masters at it. STEK and XPEL are new to India, not in the business though. I trust that you have held a each of the PPF material in your hands and then have formed your decision because if you haven't then I would suggest you do that. 3M feels like a cheap polythene bag that you get on the street from the fruit vendor when compared to that of STEK and XPEL.
Also, STEK I am confirmed and XPEL I am sure, both have variants that provide 5 and 10 years warranty on their products against yellowing.
I personally have applied 3M to my white colored superbike and STEK to my silver colored car and subjected them to similar abuses for the last 2 years and I can assure you that STEK is out of the league of 3M at the moment.

My two cents!
Old 17th November 2021, 17:44   #262
BHPian

I do not have any personal vendetta with anyone! I speak from personal experience and extensive personal research! I was amongst the first few customers of 3M detailing center when it opened in a place called HSR in Bangalore and as the time passed and I started to read and experience things related to the world of detailing, I came to know what it is.

The only reason why we hear so much of "3M 3M" is because it is like the "Maruti 800 in the 80's" of the detailing world (in India).

Hope you get my drift!

Quote:
Dont mind me asking, but i have read a few threads of yours. Looks like you have singled out 3M everywhere. DO you have a personal anguish or a bad experience.

Because my experience is actually opposite of what you claim. As Team bhp'ians we are not supposed to associate or single out any brand, just share our experience, so that the people reading can get a fair idea.

Sorry if I misunderstood you dear!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 17th November 2021 at 17:52.
Old 30th November 2021, 00:31   #263
BHPian

Having a terrible experience with 3M PPF. Posting here just to help other folks out make a decision.

When I got my Lexus last year I did extensive research and the two brands that stood out were 3M PPF and Llumar PPF. While some spoke highly of Llumar some did of 3M. I have previously had a bad experience with Llumar Films where the entire film lost its smoothness within 4 years of installation I was told it was not coverable under the warranty. Therefore this time I decided to go with 3M PPF.

I went to 3M PPF store in Surat, GJ and I was shown 3 qualities of PPF. I was told the middle one and the top one had self repair / self healing when it was scratched. After negotiating on the price I decided to go for the middle one as the top one was expensive and close to the cost of a small hatchback.

Within few weeks I realised I had a few scratches on the car but I was assured that the film would self heal / self repair. Its been a year now and now I am told that the middle version does not have self healing. It has something called semi self healing which is garbage and doesnt take out any scratches. The only thing its good for is protecting the paint as the scratches dont go inside.

So folks, an expensive lesson has been learnt, please please please avoid 3M at all costs. They dont even have an email address to post grievances and their helpline directs you back to the dealer and nothing else who has no solution and just trying to cover his tracks and yes I have the bill and warranty card which conveniently do not mention self healing anywhere.
M00M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 11:13   #264
BHPian

Guys, is PPF worth spending ? or ceramic coating is good enough?
I was told that there is someone in SURAT, GJ who gives 10 year warranty for PPF.
Till now I have not had any sort of paint protection job done on any of my cars, so i am unaware about it and hence asked.
Old 30th November 2021, 12:51   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Guys, is PPF worth spending ? or ceramic coating is good enough?
I was told that there is someone in SURAT, GJ who gives 10 year warranty for PPF.
Till now I have not had any sort of paint protection job done on any of my cars, so i am unaware about it and hence asked.
Ceramic coating keeps your class glossy and helps with the easy cleaning of the vehicle, thanks to the hydrophobic effect. But if you want to your car to be scratch free, PPF installation is advisable over ceramic coating. If budget is a constraint, install PPF on the vulnerable parts of the car (bumpers,fenders,tail gate,etc). You can also opt for a mixture of both - PPF for scratch prone parts and ceramic coating for the remaining parts. But the most important thing is finding a quality installer.
Enthusiast81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 14:10   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post

Within few weeks I realised I had a few scratches on the car but I was assured that the film would self heal / self repair. Its been a year now and now I am told that the middle version does not have self healing. It has something called semi self healing which is garbage and doesnt take out any scratches. The only thing its good for is protecting the paint as the scratches dont go inside.
How deep are the scratches? At most these films can heal very light scratches or rather swirl marks. Beyond that if the film itself is cut or scarred then you cant expect any healing to happen.
Old 1st December 2021, 14:28   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
How deep are the scratches? At most these films can heal very light scratches or rather swirl marks. Beyond that if the film itself is cut or scarred then you cant expect any healing to happen.
They’re surface scratches. Like when your parking is tight and someone walks by inside and out and their clothes or bangles touch the body and leave scratch marks. Then there are swivel marks. Further the PPF has not torn anywhere as the car has not had any contact anywhere but these marks are like not coming out. I am told that even in self healing swivel marks shouldn’t appear but here those are there as well. Anyways I am now looking at it as a way to save my body work and nothing else, otherwise this 3M PPF is rubbish. Never again. Rather have the marks and repaint the car then put a non self healing PPF.

By the way there is a new PPF company called Permagard, you may want to experience them as MB India dealers use their PPF I’m told.
Old 1st December 2021, 14:44   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
By the way there is a new PPF company called Permagard, you may want to experience them as MB India dealers use their PPF I’m told.
If swirl marks are itself not healing then this seems to be some vinyl ppf and not TPU/TPH. The latter will heal swirls upto 90-95%. Regarding brands, I am more than satisified with the PPF I imported directly from a company in China. They are true to their specs and when they mean 95% self healing, I can vouch for that. And that said, I am really not sure if there is any indigenous manufacturer of PPF. The film on my Crysta after 18 months of use has very light swirls on the bonnet and thats it, even though it is scrubbed by the security guard every morning with no sort of special care taken. Was never ready to pay exorbitant amounts just for the brand name and hence never went to 3M or any similar place. The film has taken hits very well and the bumper film needs replacement now due to multiple scuffs. For the price quoted by any big brand for my Crysta, I could do the car four times sourcing my own PPF and hence I am not worried about the longevity. The film hasnt shown signs of yellowing even on the headlights where UV exposure is high and hence I can safely estimate it to last more than five years if not replaced due to damage.

Heck, the Vinyl PPF on my Ninja has survived for four years without a sign of yellowing and comes off without any issues now. So thats my experience in using 'cheaper' brands or no brands.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 18:23   #269
BHPian

I’m looking for recommendations for a trusted PPF outlet to get my EcoSport front bumper protected. As it’s mostly a highway car for my family, I want to avoid the scratches that come with dust, debris and insects hitting the front bumper on the highway. If anyone has a recommendation for West Delhi or South Delhi it’d be highly appreciated. And what is the cost of good quality PPF, if anyone can share that it’ll be very helpful!

I’m also looking for a good set of floor mats, I find 3D Kagu way too expensive for a car that’s being used sporadically. Online options on various websites are too shady and usually don’t have any return policy, I’m looking for a tried and tested online/offline recommendation in Delhi.
Old 26th December 2021, 16:52   #270

Looking for some recommendations for reliable and good detailing shops in Mumbai to explore PPF/Ceramic solutions for my Allspace. Have a 3M nearby but read on the forum that XPEL/STEK may be better solutions. Also if the place has good ceramic applications that will be great. Still not decided fully on PPF and/or Ceramic. Appreciate the suggestions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks