Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 12:59   #241
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Thanks much @sudhirdamo

I contacted Ceramic Pro guys. Seems to be pretty big with 40+ staff with facility to service 25+ cars in one go.

I asked them the question of discolouration for White. Though they provide PPF with warranty, they recommend PPF more for darker colours. Chances of yellow shades are high after 2-3 years.

Cost of full body application of Kavaca ( with instant self healing ) for Jeep compass is around 1.8+ L. They suggested combination of ceramic and ppf ( with ppf for scratch prone areas alone ).

3M guys quoted 1.6L+ for self healing ppf - excluding roof and pillars. They provide warranty of 5 years ( including warranty for discolouration ). When I asked the question of discolouration post 5 years, they said it could happen and its best to remove it post 5 years.

I am assuming, good quality ones might hold good without discolouration for avg 2-3 years , specifically talking about White colour.
Old 28th October 2021, 13:51   #242
Senior - BHPian

While getting my car detailed, happened to talk to the owner regarding PPF. He mentioned that recently they had detailed a BMW which had PPF installed. It has discolored and the owner wanted it to be removed as it was damaging the paint as well. It took them almost 2 days to completely remove the PPF. They mentioned that it is best to not put any PPF and if indeed added to get it removed within 2 years and get it re installed. He suggested instead to get the vehicle detailed regularly and maybe add ceramic coating.

Maybe it is discussed in this thread earlier about the pros and cons but just sharing it here.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 13:56   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enj0y_ride View Post
Thanks much @sudhirdamo

I contacted Ceramic Pro guys. Seems to be pretty big with 40+ staff with facility to service 25+ cars in one go.

I asked them the question of discolouration for White. Though they provide PPF with warranty, they recommend PPF more for darker colours. Chances of yellow shades are high after 2-3 years.

Cost of full body application of Kavaca ( with instant self healing ) for Jeep compass is around 1.8+ L. They suggested combination of ceramic and ppf ( with ppf for scratch prone areas alone ).

3M guys quoted 1.6L+ for self healing ppf - excluding roof and pillars. They provide warranty of 5 years ( including warranty for discolouration ). When I asked the question of discolouration post 5 years, they said it could happen and its best to remove it post 5 years.

I am assuming, good quality ones might hold good without discolouration for avg 2-3 years , specifically talking about White colour.
If you a have a keen eye you’ll notice yellowing well before 2-3 years, specially if there are naked panels adjacent to panels with PPF, ideally avoid on a white car or get the entire body covered bumper to bumper. Prices are accurate for self healing film, personally I’d go with ceramic pro as their workmanship is better than 3M 9/10 times. They are right to say remove after 4-5 years as it’s not just discolouration but the fact that it tends to bond permanently with the paint and when removing one risks stripping the paint with the film.
AJ56 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 10:54   #244
BHPian

Any recommendations at Hyderabad? Connected with Cermaic pro folks. Quote for full-body PPF was high 2L. Not sure if there is a scope of negotiations. Any pointers based on your past experience?
Old 29th October 2021, 11:55   #245

I approached Ceramic Pro, Carz Spa and 3M guys in Hyderabad to get PPF applied for my Jeep Compass Limited Trim (Red Colour). Ceramic Pro guys quoted 1.7L (only if it is cash) + 18% GST (if it is card) after tough negotiations. Carz Spa guys quoted 1.8L including taxes for Xpel. They are not willing to go down beyond that even after appraching them via a referral.

However 3M guys mentioned that the plastic claddings near wheel arches, under the door, etc for Limited trim don't need PPF. They said that these things can be replaced anytime for a cheaper price than the cost of PPF used to protect them.

I wanted to check here if that is the right way to go or not. They quoted 1.1L because they are not going to use PPF on the claddings, which is saving quite a good amount of flim (in terms of sq mtrs). Experts here can confirm this.
Swaroopblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 16:01   #246
BHPian

You might want to check this thread out https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...p-compass.html (Xpel Paint Protection Film on my Jeep Compass)
Old 29th October 2021, 18:28   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaroopblr View Post
I approached Ceramic Pro, Carz Spa and 3M guys in Hyderabad to get PPF applied for my Jeep Compass Limited Trim (Red Colour). Ceramic Pro guys quoted 1.7L (only if it is cash) + 18% GST (if it is card) after tough negotiations. Carz Spa guys quoted 1.8L including taxes for Xpel. They are not willing to go down beyond that even after appraching them via a referral.

However 3M guys mentioned that the plastic claddings near wheel arches, under the door, etc for Limited trim don't need PPF. They said that these things can be replaced anytime for a cheaper price than the cost of PPF used to protect them.

I wanted to check here if that is the right way to go or not. They quoted 1.1L because they are not going to use PPF on the claddings, which is saving quite a good amount of flim (in terms of sq mtrs). Experts here can confirm this.
If they are not going to use it over plastic cladding then who will they wrap/tuck edges under the panel?

Carz Spa are they official installed for XPEL? It would be always better to go with certified installer. On checking XPEL india website OCD was listed as certified installer for Hyderabad. At the end quality of outcome does depend on the installer experience.

My understanding initial quote from cermaic pro would have been 2L? I just checked out the workshop today, they were occupied with all very high end ones for the moment.

Another option that was suggested on the forum was Magnus pro. Any one has a experience with this brand https://www.magnuspro.in/. Initial quote came from J&A Detailing Studio was little lesser than ceramic pro. These were the first folks in Hyderabad to start this and should have experience similar or near to ceramic pro.

On asking how their brands stack up against XPEL. Both ceramic pro and magnus had their thoughts they had worked with XPEL before extensively and their product is superior. With kavca easy to remove and instant healing, similar was the pitch with magnus pro minus the easy to remove part. Magnuspro folk was clear that the technique is what makes the difference between paint peeling off vs safe removal.

I couldn't DM you, as you have mentioned in settings that you don't wish to receive messages from forum member. As we both are in market exploring for options for PPF at Hyderabad joining notes and negotiations might help. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by CircleOfLife : 29th October 2021 at 18:42.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2021, 18:54   #248
BHPian

Brother's my suggestion, stay "MILES" away from 3M, go for Xpel or STEK!!
Old 29th October 2021, 23:36   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaroopblr View Post
I approached Ceramic Pro, Carz Spa and 3M guys in Hyderabad to get PPF applied for my Jeep Compass Limited.
Based on a comment in another thread (Ownership Review : Journey with my VW Vento 1.2 TSI Highline) on the forum reached out to Autopia. Plan to visit and & check them out tomorrow morning. They do deal in multiple brands including stek and lumar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
What is the key difference between XPEL and STEK. XPEL being one of the more recognised brand. From the product and warranty service stand point how do they pan out?
CircleOfLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 08:06   #250
Senior - BHPian

I agree. First I got 3M, which wasn't the quality I expected. Minor grazes would create considerable grooves. Got that removed and XPEL, it is for now. Its been 3 years, and hence plan to replace - any day now (with same)
Quote:
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 08:51   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I agree. First I got 3M, which wasn't the quality I expected. Minor grazes would create considerable grooves. Got that removed and XPEL, it is for now. Its been 3 years, and hence plan to replace - any day now (with same)
Quote:
STEK overall finish is way better than XPEL, the PPF is ceramic coated and the gloss finish is much better than XPEL. STEK also has matt ppf and warranty comes in 2 forms, 5 and 10yrs!

For Bangalore, I know where you can get it but I'm not sure about the other cities!
@Sebring and @ssjr0498

Can you please share vendor details for XPEL and STEK in Bangalore? Would like to check out the pricing please.
Old 30th October 2021, 08:56   #252
Senior - BHPian

XPEL is applied by Esperto in Koramangala. Please look them up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghunath Singh View Post
@Sebring and @ssjr0498Can you please share vendor details for XPEL and STEK in Bangalore? Would like to check out the pricing please.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 09:45   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
One of the very well known premium detailer who deals in another brand (which is couple of years old in market) made a comment that XPEL is harder to remove and can cause paint peeling off. I believe the culprit in such cases is excessive use of IPA for bonding the film and incorrect way of peeling process. While peeling 3M film did you face any challenges?
Old 30th October 2021, 09:51   #254
Senior - BHPian

No. No issues while peeling the 3M film off. It was very gentle. (However, the 3M in-charge has warned me that the internal dash plastics (NEXON) on which I have PPF on could result in paint coming off, during removal. That paint is softer he explained
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircleOfLife View Post
One of the very well known premium detailer who deals in another brand (which is couple of years old in market) made a comment that XPEL is harder to remove and can cause paint peeling off. I believe the culprit in such cases is excessive use of IPA for bonding the film and incorrect way of peeling process. While peeling 3M film did you face any challenges?

Last edited by Sebring : 30th October 2021 at 10:04.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 13:43   #255

Quote:

Why So? I am actually considering 3M Pro series PPF. They showed me a demo and some lab results against XPEL etc. 3M stands out. Earlier I had done my i20 with regular PPf of 3M, which lasted for 6 years without any issues.

So if you know something, please help me decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks