Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2022, 17:03   #301
BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Hi. What's the view on Garware PPF? Apologies if this question has already been answered.

Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 12:09   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It's own brand of ceramic Pro.

No long term reviews anywhere in the world. This is some silly new fad in India.

Every detailer bringing their own brand of PPF and selling at lower cost. There is no specs or any data and you just have to go by what that detailer says.

They import in bulk unbranded PPF and all of them sell as their own brand.
Spot on, just like cheap Chinese ceramic kits flooding the market there are Chinese films being sold for 20-28k/roll which is less than 1/4th the price of a branded PPF roll from say Optimum/Expel which are sold at 90-95k+ per roll to the detailer. Source: I get calls from sales people almost every single day about these unbranded PPF rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Hi friends, Needed your suggestion on whether to consider PPF or Ceramic Coating for my 3 year old Abarth Punto. Considering that it is black in colour, it is very difficult to avoid minor scratches on doors, courtesy passerby, children and some uncivilized citizens who just cannot bear a well maintained shiny black car. Also smudge and swirl marks are visible unlike other colours. The red decals on the black car make it even worse when it comes to attention that it grabs. I try my best to get it washed and waxed at a detailer every 6 months but still cannot avoid seeing the minor scratches. The TPH car cover helps in apartment's parking with limited usage during the pandemic but once I start using the car to pre-pandemic levels, it is only going to increase.

Checked with BR Detailers in Gurgaon (whom I had visited for trying Turtle wax and was very satisfied with their work - entire car cleaning for interiors and exterior with wax) who quoted between INR 65,000 to INR 85,000 with 5 years warranty for PPF. I indicated that since it is a 3 year old car is it worth the money. In the alternative, she suggested to go for paint correction for INR 8000 which includes cleaning, washing and spray wax after correcting scratches throughout the body and claimed that the gloss stays for almost 6 months. While discussing, she suggested that for an old car customers usually go for pain correction annually which is cost effective.

Looking forward to your thoughts/ suggestions. Thank you.
PPF vs ceramic I won’t get into as that discussion will run very long, see earlier posts here to get an idea about the pros and cons of each (neither is perfect).

Educate yourself on proper and safe wash technique, going to a detailer for correction twice a year is not the solution, it takes 1 wash done improperly to ruin a perfectly corrected finish by inflicting micro marring and swirls that’ll take a detailer 1-2 days to fix and cost 10-15k (more if the car is ceramic coated as the coating will require reapplication post paint correction).

You don’t want to take a polisher and abrasives every year to your paint as suggested, doing so will thin out your clear coat unnecessarily as cars come with pretty thin paint from the factory to begin with thanks to cost cutting. Prevention is alway better than cure. Imagine owning a car for 12 years and performing 12 paint corrections over that time, I’ll guarantee you’ll burn through your paint well before you hit the 12th correction.

Also, regarding gloss there’s no set timeframe, it can be ruined in a few days by dry wiping and following poor wash technique or can last multiple years if safe washing with soft water is practiced, also go with a good paint sealant over spray waxes as the latter don’t last more than a few weeks. Cheers.

Last edited by AJ56 : 25th February 2022 at 12:27.
AJ56 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 13:48   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpanda View Post
Hi friends, Needed your suggestion on whether to consider PPF or Ceramic Coating for my 3 year old Abarth Punto. Considering that it is black in colour, it is very difficult to avoid minor scratches on doors, courtesy passerby, children and some uncivilized citizens who just cannot bear a well maintained shiny black car. Also smudge and swirl marks are visible unlike other colours. The red decals on the black car make it even worse when it comes to attention that it grabs. I try my best to get it washed and waxed at a detailer every 6 months but still cannot avoid seeing the minor scratches. The TPH car cover helps in apartment's parking with limited usage during the pandemic but once I start using the car to pre-pandemic levels, it is only going to increase.
Buy a pack of Formula 1 cream polish, apply it yourself by hand on one of the panels and see if you are okay with the looks of it before going in for another round of paint correction which obviously will remove a certain amount of factory finish.

A balance needs to brought in between daily usability and looks, all sort of expensive coating and PPF is not going to survive a single fender bender on a daily driver. Why waste money? You sure need that for petrol on a Abarth.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 12:37   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
PPF vs ceramic I won’t get into as that discussion will run very long, see earlier posts here to get an idea about the pros and cons of each (neither is perfect).
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Very helpful. Noted your points on using paint sealant against spray waxes and reduce paint corrections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Buy a pack of Formula 1 cream polish, apply it yourself by hand on one of the panels and see if you are okay with the looks of it before going in for another round of paint correction which obviously will remove a certain amount of factory finish.

A balance needs to brought in between daily usability and looks, all sort of expensive coating and PPF is not going to survive a single fender bender on a daily driver. Why waste money? You sure need that for petrol on a Abarth.
Thank you. Will certainly try that and assess. Agree with you on that but just cannot ignore scratches on the black beauty. For a change, I drive my Abarth very sedately and manage to extract about 13-15 KMPL in city with AC, thanks to the speed cameras in Delhi NCR. I do not know whether to be happy about it or a pity for not driving this car which is meant to be driven otherwise
jbpanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 14:30   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
Your car sure looks good.
I don't want to scare you but this price of 30K is difficult to digest.
I hope its a genuine product.

I got a quote of 1.10 Lac for full car PPF of Avery with self healing properties and 5 Yrs warranty directly from the brand. How is it possible that you got it done for a 1/4 of the cost?

I hope you PPF is still performing well.
Hi Kushal

Sorry for the late response - I saw your post a while back but decided to share some pics after the bi-monthly wash from the detailing studio. I am attaching some pics that were taken a couple of weeks back.

Overall, my experience has been good so far. Two years completed and the PPF is holding on well. Can see some swirl marks on the bonnet, so let me see if i can have that replaced. The car shines like a beautiful black stallion and is a head-turner even after 4.5 years of ownership. I attribute a lot of the looks and luster to the PPF.

The detailing studio is holding on to its part of the bargain - I get 2 dry-cleans and 6 washes each year, and they do the needful happily and without compormisinng on the products or the efforts.

Also, I had spent that money about 2 years back - the cost now is around Rs 55-60K. So the difference, compared to other options, is still high, but not as high as you thought it would be. I think it should be about half of what other brands may be quoting on date. Personally, i find the combo of full PPF + 2 years of detailing package unbelievely good - i guess i just got lucky to discover that studio. Equally hearwarming is the fact that I see enough Audis, BMWs, Mercs, Discoverys at his place - so that assures about the quality they have sustained. I was also told that whether it is a Swift or an X7, they use the same PPF. Hope you enjoy the pics - most at the studio and one while parked at home.
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-.jpg

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-b.jpg

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-c.jpg

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img_0397.jpg

Paint Protection Film (PPF)-d.jpg
AjayJohri is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 23:35   #306
BHPian

That Black car sure looks yummy ...
This is pushing me to think about PPF once again.
Old 9th March 2022, 03:30   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
It will turn yellow in 1-1.5 years ..
I've used PPF only on some areas like ORVMs, door sill, door edges and behind door handles. It has served its intended purpose of prevent scratches on these areas.
However, the PPF itself will dull in 1.5 to 2 years and actually lose its integrity after 4 to 5 years.
Went for replacing the PPF on the ORVMs as they had lot of scratches and when the service folks tried peeling of the old PPF, it came out in bits and pieces and was messy to remove.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 10:14   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
I've used PPF only on some areas like ORVMs, door sill, door edges and behind door handles. It has served its intended purpose of prevent scratches on these areas.
However, the PPF itself will dull in 1.5 to 2 years and actually lose its integrity after 4 to 5 years.
Went for replacing the PPF on the ORVMs as they had lot of scratches and when the service folks tried peeling of the old PPF, it came out in bits and pieces and was messy to remove.
Which brand of PPF was it? What about the PPF warranty?
goenkakushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 11:59   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which brand of PPF was it? What about the PPF warranty?
This was 3M PPF. I replaced after 5 years so I believe its beyond and warranty period. I still recommend it for the frequently touched areas like I mentioned in my post.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 01:02   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayJohri View Post

Also, I had spent that money about 2 years back - the cost now is around Rs 55-60K. So the difference, compared to other options, is still high, but not as high as you thought it would be. I think it should be about half of what other brands may be quoting on date. Personally, i find the combo of full PPF + 2 years of detailing package unbelievely good - i guess i just got lucky to discover that studio. Equally hearwarming is the fact that I see enough Audis, BMWs, Mercs, Discoverys at his place - so that assures about the quality they have sustained. I was also told that whether it is a Swift or an X7, they use the same PPF. Hope you enjoy the pics - most at the studio and one while parked at home.
Which place is this in Delhi ? I'm looking for PPF on my orvm, door sills and bumper. Any idea if these guys would do that kind of minimal ppf ?
Old 14th March 2022, 10:35   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepss1980 View Post
Which place is this in Delhi ? I'm looking for PPF on my orvm, door sills and bumper. Any idea if these guys would do that kind of minimal ppf ?
Sure, they do part PPF as well. They are in Mayapuri Industrial Area in New Delhi - you may look them up onn Google Maps. Tell them you are from Team BHP to get a plus experience.
Old 20th March 2022, 22:29   #312
BHPian

I have a question on PPF. How is their reaction to oxidation. Typically the screen guards and clear cases that we slap on our phones turn yellow overtime due to oxidation. Though it’s not apples to apples comparison, I wonder how the PPF reacts to the environment over years.

Last edited by SR-71 : 20th March 2022 at 22:31.
Old 20th March 2022, 23:02   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
I have a question on PPF. How is their reaction to oxidation. Typically the screen guards and clear cases that we slap on our phones turn yellow overtime due to oxidation. Though it’s not apples to apples comparison, I wonder how the PPF reacts to the environment over years.
Yes all PPF slowly do turn yellow.
Some after 1 year and good ones after 3-4 year and best ones may be after 5 years

Above is totally hypothetical .. dont hold me for those time lines. Only point I want to make is yellowish shade is surely going to get your PPF but how much can technology help to delay this process is the question.
goenkakushal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 23:16   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes all PPF slowly do turn yellow.
Some after 1 year and good ones after 3-4 year and best ones may be after 5 years

Above is totally hypothetical .. dont hold me for those time lines. Only point I want to make is yellowish shade is surely going to get your PPF but how much can technology help to delay this process is the question.
Agree. More pronounced in white and light shade of paint.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 23:26   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Depends on how good the material is, what material it is and how much UV exposure the car has got. Rate of yellowing is a function that is dependent on all these factors. Vinyl turns yellow the fastest, followed by TPH and then TPU. But thats not due to oxidation but due to the effect of UV from sunlight. The price difference between Vinyl to TPH is around 3x and from TPH to TPU around 3x. Thats how you can get very less quotes from some shops and higher ones on the other.

TPU based on my experience dealing with a sun film manufacturing company, has a minimum warranty of five years. TPH on the other hand only has a three year warranty. This is against yellowing mainly as well as adhesive failure and cracking. Here is a comparison of the warranties on offer just to compare:
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 3203
Size:  66.3 KB

So moral of the story is, neither choose the cheapest PPF or the most expensive one. Check what brand it is, what is the specs of the PPF and try to stick to the known brands like STEK, XPEL etc while most of the others are either new companies which do not have a history in PPF or only rebadge Korean or Chinese products and charge a hefty margin. Also there is no need to stereotype or have a bias against PPF. I have had good quality Vinyl PPF on my bike which lasted close to five years without any cracking or adhesive failure. When I removed it, it came out as neatly as a phone screen guard. And if you want to explore chinese brands, deal directly with the company and they would be very professional in the process, as well as the specs they provide no fake selling and over marketing. Just to give an example, I had TPH film on my Innova which has lasted for two years and is still in good health wrt to adhesive and fading. Only the self healing capacity is coming down. When I enquired the same for my Slavia with the company and told them its a white car and I am worried about yellowing, they suggested I go with TPU instead. Instead, I had found some reseller in Indiamart who was claiming to sell Korean TPU PPF for the price of Chinese TPH I had got earlier. I was surprised and requested a sample. He did send it to me, but needless to say, this was the most inferior TPU I had come across and its adhesive failed within three days of applying on an old part and removing the film.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th March 2022 at 23:33.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks