Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 23:24   #106
Team-BHP Support

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Rohit T for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Speaks my language
Well yes PPF makes no sense if you just do the maths but just like everything to do with cars, many times it's not about the money.

As Sahil mentioned which is applicable for me as well, even small scratches and swirls is a big irritant. To get a really good ceramic coating done on your premium car is 35-40K and a 10-15K top up every year. This means for 5 years it will almost be a lakh. Detailing is around 15K per year but offers no protection and you need to do it almost every year.

Ceramic at ~1 lakh gives protection against swirls to a major extent but nothing against scratches. To me Ceramic coating is the biggest waste of money in harsh Indian conditions.

There is nothing anywhere close to protection as PPF. A full size premium car like the Kodiaq will be 1.5 lakhs with a really good PPF.

The peace of mind the PPF gives against bikers that brush their handlebars against the car side or some idiots who like to draw on a dusty car or even key it is simply worth the amount to spend on PPF for 8-10 years peace of mind.

Secondly, whenever you give your car for body work for a deep scratch or light scrape is downtime for your car and more often than not the colour will never not match and if you have OCD on colour matching like me, it will drive you up the wall.

So far in my office I have gotten full car PPF done for below cars:
1. Tata Hexa - 75K (no roof and boot lid) - Has had 2-3 scrapes one being a big one with an auto. The film was replaced in 1 hour and car was back to as if nothing happened.
2. Maruti Ciaz - 70K - Had 2 scrapes and nothing to show for it.
3. Honda W-RV - 60K (self healing for bonnet) - Has had 5 hits against bikers, pillars, tree and another car. PPF peeled off a little on 2 occasions.
4. BMW X1 - 90K
5. Hyundai Venue - 35K (only bumpers and bonnet) - has had 5 bikers rub against bumper corners with 2 of them causing the ppf to slightly peel off.

All the above owners who are colleagues have had these cars for more than a year and the oldest being the Hexa nearing 2 years. None of these cars have gone for body work or detailing till now after PPF. All of them keep telling me they were so happy they got the PPF.

Actually I have an interesting POV regarding this now. The insurance premium we pay got me thinking:

1. What if insurance actually covered the PPF? So if you have a scrape insurance even replaces PPF cause if the damage is small they don't have to paint the bumper and insurance actually saves money!
2. Why not reduce premium for cars with PPF cause the claims will be much lesser since no small scratches will be claimed.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 5th March 2020 at 23:28.
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 14:45   #107
GTB
BHPian

Hello everyone,

A quick question, does PPF makes any sense for a two-year-old car. I bought a one-and-half-year-old car and she was at the dealership for four to six months. The car has just clocked 9k kilometres. The reason I wanted to go for PPF is to avoid Stone chips. I receive too many of them.

In order to avoid Stone chips following has to be followed.
1. Change your driving style. Maintain a more safe distance.
2. Get a PPF for the front part of the car or get periodical detailing once or twice a year.
I am working on the first one. I am sceptical on PPF as it is super expensive in Europe and sadly that's the ultimate protection from Stone chips.

Thank you in Advance.
Old 16th March 2020, 18:42   #108
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
TI paid nearly 3-4 times this price for Xpel Ultimate and I believe Avery is similar in pricing.
How's the quality of XPEL Ultimate? I have been looking at XPEL and 3M. Going by reviews from other Forums, XPEL seems to be everyone's top choice if the price doesn't matter.
Old 16th March 2020, 19:29   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
How's the quality of XPEL Ultimate? I have been looking at XPEL and 3M.
Xpel Ultimate PPF is the top choice in terms of quality from what I’ve come across.
If you’re on a budget, you can try Xpel Supreme which is in the process of being rebranded and repositioned for the Indian market.

3M is nowhere close in terms of quality.
johannskaria is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2020, 19:50   #110
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Xpel Ultimate PPF is the top choice in terms of quality from what I’ve come across.
Thank you. I could stretch a bit, but the price difference between XPEL and 3M is high. Unfortunately, I am outside India. I have to choose one from XPEL Ultimate, Hexis and 3M. XPEL is the most expensive among the three. Just for the Bonnet, Bumper and both the front fender costs me around 1800 Euros. The only question is, is it worth for 2-year-old car?

Quote:
3M is nowhere close in terms of quality.
Man, you saved me. I was almost decided to go with 3M. Thanks a ton.
Old 18th March 2020, 13:17   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayJohri View Post
Hi Folks!

However, that is proving to be a challenge with my new black car. So after much research, I have decided to go ahead with the PPF

Will update once done.
Hello, and here's the update. After some bit of on and off, I finally went in for the PPF last fortnight. Have posted my experience here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assem...ml#post4770821

Best,
Old 19th March 2020, 23:05   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, and here's the update. After some bit of on and off, I finally went in for the PPF last fortnight. Have posted my experience here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/assem...ml#post4770821

Best,
Not able to access it, since it’s in the assembly line.
Old 20th March 2020, 13:33   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Not able to access it, since it’s in the assembly line.
Hi John. Not familiar with assembly line. Is it some kind of a parking bay for articles not cleared by edit team?
Old 20th March 2020, 13:39   #114
BANNED

Quote:
Hi John. Not familiar with assembly line. Is it some kind of a parking bay for articles not cleared by edit team?
Check this link. Shall give you all details about the Assembly Line section.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 01:22   #115
BHPian

This is an IGTV promo from Steam and Shine in Delhi/ Gurgaon. Can't believe they're actually advertising cutting the film by hand; that too on a Panamera Turbo. The rest of the world swears by keeping blades as far away from the car as possible and here a blade is a PPF installers best friend
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-steam-shine-ppf.jpg  

Old 17th May 2020, 14:22   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
This is an IGTV promo from Steam and Shine in Delhi/ Gurgaon. Can't believe they're actually advertising cutting the film by hand; that too on a Panamera Turbo. The rest of the world swears by keeping blades as far away from the car as possible and here a blade is a PPF installers best friend
In the above video, they seem to be cutting the film on the edge and not on the paint. Should be fine IMO unless there was a rubber seal in between the two doors. For the B pillar it would have been a better ideal to use two separate pieces for the doors since that would have given better area to tuck in. But I am no expert in this so they might know their job better
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 11:23   #117
Senior - BHPian

I have XPEL on my car and I got the second scratch on my car in two years. The last one was a 3M film which had taken the scratch like a pro. Took it to the dealership and they say the new film has taken the blow well, and underneath there is zero damage. This looks deep so was worried (scratches on the hard plastic will be an eyesore). So I saved 11K on repainting the bumper. This film is supposed to auto repair if I pour hot water, but I doubt it since its scraped off and there is very little film to hold it together. So that should mean a new set
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Protection Film (PPF)-img_4309.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 15:01   #118
BANNED

Moderator Note: Promotion of your business & marketing are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Do NOT ever attempt to bypass our rules.

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2020 at 07:36.
twister is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2020, 10:02   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister View Post
Usually pre cuts are not tucked in and the edges of every panel stay exposed whereas bulk installation is like a custom fit suit where the ppf is tucked in most of the edges wherever possible.

i'd suggest you to be responsible and do some research before commenting on someones work that can potentially harm there reputation because of your half knowledge.
Hi Twister, thanks for your comments but being an "old player" does not mean that everything that an organisation does is the best possible way. Of late there has been an increased usage of template based PPF application in the international PPF market whereby the template is is machine cut and is specifically designed to be large enough to be tucked in around the edges. The chances of error of shape or of damage to the paintwork with such a method are near zero. The process however is a more expensive one due to the pre-requisite research.

Bulk installation on the other hand is used as a more cost efficient method since the film is cut on site and only requires the standard roll of film. Smaller PPF installers tend to use this for this very reason. Regardless of how skilled one is with a blade there is always a chance of human error and the installers hand might slip and nick the paint a little which is exactly what one is trying to avoid by opting for PPF. The pre-cut method that you are referring to is merely a variation of a bulk application where the PPF is cut by hand before being applied.

Further, there is no need to get defensive and make frivolous attacks on how much research I have or have not done and whether I have "half knowledge" in your words. A reputed PPF installer would only welcome any criticism as it helps highlight customer preferences. Please refrain from such comments on this forum.

Last edited by AamodB : 20th May 2020 at 10:32.
AamodB is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 11:10   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
Bulk installation on the other hand is used as a more cost efficient method since the film is cut on site and only requires the standard roll of film. Smaller PPF installers tend to use this for this very reason. Regardless of how skilled one is with a blade there is always a chance of human error and the installers hand might slip and nick the paint a little which is exactly what one is trying to avoid by opting for PPF. The pre-cut method that you are referring to is merely a variation of a bulk application where the PPF is cut by hand before being applied.
Bulk application is not exactly cost effective, especially with respect to usage of the film since there is quite some wastage. Of course, pre cut film requires some setup cost for the equipment, designs and so but then it saves you quite some film in the long run since you will be able to arrange the sections as much efficiently as possible. But arent the precut films usually cut to the edges and not tucked around? As far as the content I have seen on Youtube, precut films are usually not tucked around the edges.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks