Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2018, 11:06   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Paint Protection Film (PPF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommani View Post
Hi Sahil,
Since you have had the PPF for over 3 years now. Can you tell us how the experience has been considering the time you have had it. Would you still recommend going ahead with PPF ?
Any maintenance needed with this ?

Thanks in advance
It's ironic but I was just on my way to work and a car has rear-ended my S-class in bumper to bumper traffic I got out furious to only realize that there is ZERO damage. It was a thankfully at crawling speeds so was a slim chance of a dent but even the slightest touch can scratch your paint, thankfully the PPF protected it.

My experience has been good as the film has been very protective. But aesthetically there are some minor grievances.
Firstly, at some curved edges, I can see a few bubbles but this is only visible if you really look closely. Secondly touch up/patch up doesn't look good. I had one scratch on the PPF so they cut out a 5x5inch square to remove the scratched portion and patched in a new piece, however, this does not sync seamlessly. You can see the square edges on the patchwork after some time. Hence the only other solution is to replace the entire bumper PPF which is a costly affair, almost as much as repainting.

I wish 3m gave a better support to returning customers for replacing scratched PPFs at maybe half the cost or so. This would infact increase the number of returning customers to them instead of doing patchwork fixes for free.
Sahil is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 14:24   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
It's ironic but I was just on my way to work and a car has rear-ended my S-class in bumper to bumper traffic I got out furious to only realize that there is ZERO damage. It was a thankfully at crawling speeds so was a slim chance of a dent but even the slightest touch can scratch your paint, thankfully the PPF protected it.

My experience has been good as the film has been very protective. But aesthetically there are some minor grievances.
Firstly, at some curved edges, I can see a few bubbles but this is only visible if you really look closely. Secondly touch up/patch up doesn't look good. I had one scratch on the PPF so they cut out a 5x5inch square to remove the scratched portion and patched in a new piece, however, this does not sync seamlessly. You can see the square edges on the patchwork after some time. Hence the only other solution is to replace the entire bumper PPF which is a costly affair, almost as much as repainting.

I wish 3m gave a better support to returning customers for replacing scratched PPFs at maybe half the cost or so. This would infact increase the number of returning customers to them instead of doing patchwork fixes for free.

Hi Sahil and others - after sitting on fence for a long time, I have gone ahead and bought for myself E200 petrol in Black. While it is an absolutely stunning beauty to look at, I am now dreading paint damage in Bangalore traffic. I am seriously evaluating getting the 3M Paint Protection Film for the full body. However, before I do that, I just want to get any additional feedback on the product, long term usage and most important does it do anything to Car's original warranty. Really looking forward to advice from members.
Car_fanatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2018, 20:08   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_fanatic View Post
Hi Sahil and others - after sitting on fence for a long time, I have gone ahead and bought for myself E200 petrol in Black. While it is an absolutely stunning beauty to look at, I am now dreading paint damage in Bangalore traffic. I am seriously evaluating getting the 3M Paint Protection Film for the full body. However, before I do that, I just want to get any additional feedback on the product, long term usage and most important does it do anything to Car's original warranty. Really looking forward to advice from members.
I have had PPF from 3M done on both my bigger cars a Volvo XC60 and a Lexus ES300h - in both cases done within the first 48 hours of purchase. On the Volvo it has served us well for now three and a half years and many an occasion that would have scratched the paint especially on the four corners ends up scratching the film which can be replaced if you so desire. On the Lexus it has been a little over a year. It is expensive but not when compared to the cost of an 'E' or the joy of your car looking good as new 4 years out. Most folks don't go for this due to cost but at around some number in the Rs 1.5 to 2.0 lakh range it is a fraction of your investment. Hope this helps.
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 09:56   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for it CarFantaic, you won’t regret it. Had it for 3 years now on the S and durability wise is great. If not the entire car, def get it done on the bumpers, side skirts,side mirrors and door edges. These are the areas I have gotten it done too.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 20:03   #50
BHPian

Thanks a lot V Narayan and Sahil. This is indeed helpful. Any tips on maintaining the PPF film itself. I hate to have swirl marks on the car and would do anything to avoid getting them on PPF film as well. FYI - I am planning to get the PPF treatment for the full body.
Old 17th June 2018, 21:56   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car_fanatic View Post
Any tips on maintaining the PPF film itself. I hate to have swirl marks on the car and would do anything to avoid getting them on PPF film as well. FYI - I am planning to get the PPF treatment for the full body.
Go for full body. No maintenance is needed to best of my knowledge. I have done none. I don't know about swirl marks as I don't check for them so long as the car is kept shiny and clean. Incidentally just today I had a most sad experience with my Volvo front left corner getting scrapped to death because of the thoughtless and selfish way folks park in NCR. I'll be posting photos next week of before and after. Basically the PPF took 95% of the brunt. There is a little paint scratch off for the remainder 5%. On the coming weekend I will be having that PPF piece removed and replaced.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2018, 23:36   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Go for full body. No maintenance is needed to best of my knowledge. I have done none. I don't know about swirl marks as I don't check for them so long as the car is kept shiny and clean. Incidentally just today I had a most sad experience with my Volvo front left corner getting scrapped to death because of the thoughtless and selfish way folks park in NCR. I'll be posting photos next week of before and after. Basically the PPF took 95% of the brunt. There is a little paint scratch off for the remainder 5%. On the coming weekend I will be having that PPF piece removed and replaced.

Oh! That is indeed sad. At least I am glad that PPF helped take most of the brunt. I would look forward to before/after pics. And yes, I am going for full body as well. Just confirmed earlier today after reading your and Sahil's recommendations
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:08   #53
BHPian

Hi Reihem,

Your car looks awesome! When I checked with 3M Indira Nagar, Bangalore, they were charging over INR 900 per square feet for PPF and I found that ridiculous! Your PPF guy, on the other hand, works out closer to INR 574/- per square feet including the full wash and wax, interior vacuum and dash protection.

Can you point me to where you got your Volvo's treatment done so that I too can get the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
For my v40 cross country: it took 101 sq feet to cover my whole bonnet, front bumper, rear bumper, front left fender, front right fender, rear left fender, rear right fender, area beneath all 4 door handle, both head lights and both ORVMS.

All this with a full wash and wax, interior vacuum and dash protection came to 58K net.

Attachment 1713098
Old 3rd July 2018, 23:30   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice View Post
Hi Reihem,

Your car looks awesome! When I checked with 3M Indira Nagar, Bangalore, they were charging over INR 900 per square feet for PPF and I found that ridiculous! Your PPF guy, on the other hand, works out closer to INR 574/- per square feet including the full wash and wax, interior vacuum and dash protection.

Can you point me to where you got your Volvo's treatment done so that I too can get the same?
Mine was done in Chennai at the 3M Kodambakkam branch !
Old 8th October 2018, 09:53   #55
BHPian

Hi, Does anyone know where I can source or install matte PPF in Delhi NCR? Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 10:09   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vap2151 View Post
Hi, Does anyone know where I can source or install matte PPF in Delhi NCR? Thanks
I get mine done at 3M Gurgaon, Golf Course Road
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 08:40   #57
BHPian

Guys,

Anyone tried 'XPEL' brand PPF yet ? any feedback on cost ?
As far as I know, they are expensive than 3M PPF, only few applicators available accross India.

Appreciate any input.

Brdgs,
Sail
Old 2nd December 2018, 10:27   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Guys,

As far as I know, they are expensive than 3M PPF,
It's a good product, competing product from 3M is ventureshield if I am not mistaken. I recently got ventureshield done, apparently, this has self-heal feature, haven't experienced it though. More than then product perse, quality of applicator matters. So do check with their works and then decide. Regular PPF is about 550-650, Venture - 750-850 per sqft. But you should negotiate in a lump sum instead of measurements later.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 12:33   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Guys,

As far as I know, they are expensive than 3M PPF, only few applicators available accross India.

Appreciate any input.

Brdgs,
Sail
Expel Ultimate will cost you around 1000/sq.ft. Internationally it comes with 10 year warranty but in India they are offering only 5 years.

Advise you to see the sample and test the self healing property as advertised before getting it installed.
-GS- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 20:53   #60
BHPian

Thank you Guys,

Visited 3M Golf Course Road, Gurugram today.

Their charges as follows:-

1. Standard PPF: INR 595 / Sq ft
2. Venture shield PPF: INR 800 / Sq ft
3. Pro Shield PPF: INR 1700 / Sq ft (new product)

However, they are also offering discounts on full body PPF, in the range of 15K-20K. Not bad.

Brdgs,
Sail
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed