Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 02:11   #2881
CDM
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I am sharing some information and need some guidance regarding Innova headlights.

As someone who drives extensively on the highways, i wanted to upgrade the headlights of my Innova. Not that the original headlights were bad but just wanted to make them better.

I have made two changes. First, I have added fog lights (my Innova G4 came without them). The fog lights that I have added are (supposedly Taiwan made) ones sold under the name Coozo, etc. Even Galaxy Toyota in Delhi sells them. I bought mine from Lajpat Nagar for Rs. 2500. They came as a complete kit with relay, wiring, switch, all of which fitted perfectly in the Innova without any wire cutting at all. The main connections were made to the battery and the switch was also connected to the cigarette lighter for the led inside the switch. Frankly, even though the fog lights look asthetically very good, I am disappointed with their performance and would not recommend them to anyone. The light beam extends for no more than 15-20 feet and is not particularly bright. Need to wait for some fog to see if they really work in the fog!

The second change that I have made is that I have replaced the standard headlamps for Philips X-treme Power H4 60/55W lamps. The lamps cost me Rs. 850 for a pair and are German made. The increase in the light is quite good and easily discernable. I was told by the shopkeeper that since there is no increase in the wattage of the lamps no change in the wiring or holders would be required.

My query is whether the shopkeeper is right? I feel that the extra light must be drawing some extra power and the bulbs must be generating more heat and therefore, do I need to change the holders or wiring? I don't want to end up with melted holders or a burnt wiring. Also, what about the headlight itself, does this need to be changed in case bulbs are changed. I mean can the plastic / synthetic headlight take the extra heat, if any.

Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

CDM
Old 18th May 2009, 07:11   #2882
Senior - BHPian

CDM, foglamps dont throw a longer beam, but a wider beam. try comparing the beam with the fogs that came OE with an innova

nope , you dont need extra wiring with those lamps. the catch with them is that they will have shorter lives than regular bulbs
Old 18th May 2009, 09:20   #2883
BHPian

+1
no harm will be done to the headlamp with xtreme power. and shorter life doesnot mean a couple of months. they will last for quite some time. dont worry!
Old 18th May 2009, 15:56   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
powerbulbs in on ebay uk as well and its much cheaper there. i source my bulbs from them only.
products they sell on ebay uk are some time refubrished/used, moreover the packing is also not original, may be I was the one who received this, they have specifically mentioned on their ebay store terms, that the products are "return or overstock product"

since then I have been using their website, and receive the fresh goods. anyway this is just for info.
Old 18th May 2009, 16:08   #2885
CDM
BHPian

Thanks Greenhorn and White_vdi. That gives me some peace. Will try to compare the fog light beam with the OE.
Old 18th May 2009, 21:39   #2886
BHPian

devenashani i have ordered 3 sets through powerbulbs on ebay and all looks brand new and unused. it might depend on the seller as well.
Old 18th May 2009, 21:48   #2887
BHPian

I switched over from the philips power xtreme, to the philips 100/90w bulbs with roots wiring kit. Seems like I should have done this a long time back after I found the experiment with the power xtreme proved fruitless.
My only worry is that they place the wires on either side under the bolts and fasten them down, and theres a connection to the battery as well. Is this an issue when I give the car in for service? Will they raise any unneccesary questions regarding warranty, and what if the technician removes one of the wires (un)knowingly during service - this will affect the headlights right?
Old 18th May 2009, 22:36   #2888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Is this an issue when I give the car in for service? Will they raise any unneccesary questions regarding warranty, and what if the technician removes one of the wires (un)knowingly during service - this will affect the headlights right?
Don't worry! At least one in five cars that come in for service would have a relay and the associated harness for headlight upgrades, they are well aware of it and also they wouldn't crib about it for warranty - unless something goes wrong _specifically_due_ to the extra headlight wiring and relay that you installed !
Old 19th May 2009, 09:45   #2889
knp
BHPian

friends, I am planning to place the order at powerbulbs.com for Santro.
I am looking for Philips X-treme power..
so, do I need to go for H1, H4 or H7? I am looking for replacing my high beam bulbs?
pls suggest me.
Old 19th May 2009, 10:36   #2890
BHPian

130/100 headlight on the highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatinchoubal View Post
Hey guys,
I have installed a Philips Rally 130/100 W, with relay. It also has ceramic holders. I m planning for a long tour. But Im worried, now, if the lights will blow off, due to excessive heat.

Can somebody please give me advice on this.
So Yatin, how did ur car take to the superpowerful 130/100 headlight on the highway? it would be great to hear ur experience so that I can try the same thing on my Accent.
Thanks,
Harsha
Old 19th May 2009, 14:44   #2891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
I switched over from the philips power xtreme, to the philips 100/90w bulbs with roots wiring kit. Seems like I should have done this a long time back after I found the experiment with the power xtreme proved fruitless.
My only worry is that they place the wires on either side under the bolts and fasten them down, and theres a connection to the battery as well. Is this an issue when I give the car in for service? Will they raise any unneccesary questions regarding warranty, and what if the technician removes one of the wires (un)knowingly during service - this will affect the headlights right?
I have used this relay kit in 2 to 3 cars and never faced any problem with service station.. may be it's to common for them to complain.
Old 20th May 2009, 13:24   #2892
BHPian

Hi,
I am looking for either of the following in Ahmedabad for my Safari (in order of preference)
1. Osram silverstar +50%
2. Philips Extreme power plus
3. Osram Nightbreaker

Any idea where I could get them in Ahmedabad ? From what I understand that there are a lot of fakes floating around so it would help if the person was reliable even if he charged a little more

Thanks in advance
Old 20th May 2009, 14:28   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umang dutt View Post
Hi,
I am looking for either of the following in Ahmedabad for my Safari (in order of preference)
1. Osram silverstar +50%
2. Philips Extreme power plus
3. Osram Nightbreaker

Any idea where I could get them in Ahmedabad ? From what I understand that there are a lot of fakes floating around so it would help if the person was reliable even if he charged a little more

Thanks in advance
For Philips - you can get in touch with Mr.Rajesh Surana (Cell - 9825112721). He is the Philips distributor in Surat and he can arrange it for you in Ahmedabad. If you can't find it there, let me know and I'll see if the local dealer in Vadodara has any stock.
Old 20th May 2009, 21:20   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
For Philips - you can get in touch with Mr.Rajesh Surana (Cell - 9825112721). He is the Philips distributor in Surat and he can arrange it for you in Ahmedabad. If you can't find it there, let me know and I'll see if the local dealer in Vadodara has any stock.
Thanks will check this out. I have tried the osram site for info on the nightbreakers and silverstar +50% and even sent them a mail, but no news yet.
Old 20th May 2009, 23:59   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knp View Post
friends, I am planning to place the order at powerbulbs.com for Santro.
I am looking for Philips X-treme power..
so, do I need to go for H1, H4 or H7? I am looking for replacing my high beam bulbs?
pls suggest me.
Go for H4. These are the headlight lamps used in Santro.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks