Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2010, 02:53   #3631
BHPian

^ But how? They arent accessible from behind.
Old 13th January 2010, 07:44   #3632
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend have installed Xenon lamps on his Pulsar and Karizma , it costed him 1500 to install it on each bike.

Can I Install that kind of light on my M800 , Gurus please throw in some light here

If it can be installed please write a detailed review
Old 13th January 2010, 08:47   #3633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Dude I believe Philips Rally now come in 100/110W right?
Yes, It is Philips rally. It is OK when compared to Osram night breaker, because my other car has them.
Old 13th January 2010, 09:23   #3634
Senior - BHPian

I saw many comments here where people say installing XYZ light made a positive difference because oncoming drivers now dip thier light.

A question do you drive normally with high beam ?

Many people have this notion that it is OK to drive with high beam and lower the beam if there is someone coming from opposit side but it should be exactly opposite to drive with low beam and flash high beam to alert others.

Most of the problems such as median being not visible or nearby objects not being visible will go away as soon as you practice to drive with low beams this just needs good control / reflexes and also your breaks must be in prime condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
One of my friend have installed Xenon lamps on his Pulsar and Karizma , it costed him 1500 to install it on each bike.

Can I Install that kind of light on my M800 , Gurus please throw in some light here

If it can be installed please write a detailed review
Short answer don't do it , With out projector setup HID Xenon scatter too much of light and blinds oncoming traffic. Installing them on bike or M800 is invitation to disaster. Just think what if a bigger vehicle coming from opposite side has dust on the windshield and he just rams in to smaller vehicle with extra bright blinding lights.

HID and Haelogin light setups are totally different and just installing an HID kit is illegal all over the world.
Old 13th January 2010, 12:21   #3635
BHPian

The correct way to use headlights, I feel, is to
1. drive on low beams
2. flash to get others attention
3. use high beam on highway or countryside or roads with no lighting
when there is no vehicle coming on opposite side to get view of
the road further down. Dip the beam to low beam on approach of
oncoming vehicle to avoid glare.
4. when using low beam, use the high beam (using flasher) for a moment to
get the view of the road and people crossing them when required.

Most of the vehicles have their low beams to light up about 10m or 30 feet to reduce glare to incoming traffic. But this also makes people to drive on high beam as the visibility is less in this case.
If they are properly set as per standard ( look for headlamps in wikipedia ) to illuminate 30m or 100 ft on low beam, the visibility improves and still within legal limits.

Low beam pattern
File:Low beam light pattern for right-hand traffic.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

High beam pattern
File:Phare route.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 13th January 2010, 13:01   #3636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkguru View Post
3. use high beam on highway or countryside or roads with no lighting
when there is no vehicle coming on opposite side to get view of
the road further down. Dip the beam to low beam on approach of
oncoming vehicle to avoid glare.
IMHO On Countryside roads also 4 should be followed. If you have to use highbeam that means low beam is not set correctly to approx 25 - 30 m. Use of high-beam throws light to very long distance and you will feel need of auxiliary lights.
I always drive with low beam and often copasaangers irritate me by suggesting to shift for high beam for "safety" whereas exact opposit is true.
You just need to train your eyes and have good pair of eyes ( else get the vision corrected by appropriate glasses)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkguru View Post

4. when using low beam, use the high beam (using flasher) for a moment to
get the view of the road and people crossing them when required.

Most of the vehicles have their low beams to light up about 10m or 30 feet to reduce glare to incoming traffic. But this also makes people to drive on high beam as the visibility is less in this case.
If they are properly set as per standard ( look for headlamps in wikipedia ) to illuminate 30m or 100 ft on low beam, the visibility improves and still within legal limits.
+10 to this by default vehcile manufacturers set the beams correctly but most of the time people insist service people to screw up the setup out of ignorance.
Old 13th January 2010, 13:44   #3637
Senior - BHPian

I would blame the attitude of majority of drivers here.
For instance, I went to a shop to replace the headlamp bulbs. The dealer began showcasing - I can do this, I can do that etc.
In the running monologue, he also told me about some customer who come to his shop, and ask him about set-up that will blind the incoming traffic!!!

Idiots. Is there any other word to describe these ppl?
Old 13th January 2010, 13:50   #3638
BHPian

Hi All,

My Swift Zxi had 140/130W bulbs with extra wiring. One of them has fused (low beam) last day. I’m in search for a replacement. When I enquired a store near by, they had only 100/90W and 130/100W bulbs.

Can I replace one bulb of 100/90 or 130/100 with other remaining as 140/130W, without any trouble? The local store offered one 100/90 Philips Extreme Power for Rs.175/-. Is it a reasonable deal?

Many thanks
Old 13th January 2010, 14:16   #3639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
140/130W bulbs
Wmanu, where in Blr would you use these high powered lights?
Old 13th January 2010, 14:21   #3640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmanu View Post
The local store offered one 100/90 Philips Extreme Power for Rs.175/-. Is it a reasonable deal?

Many thanks
It's a steal Phillips Extreme power retails for 800 - 1000 Rs for a pair so single bulb should be 400 - 500 Rs logically any reason why he is selling for 5X less ?

I am not asking why 130/140 was required for a moment.

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th January 2010 at 14:22.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:33   #3641
BHPian

@getsurya: I bought 140/130 around 4 years ago, from Jayanagar, Bangalore. Cannot remember the brand name. The shop is still running, but I'm not sure whether they still have those.

@amitk26: I'm not sure whether they are Extreme Power or Essential Power. I couldn't read the name clearly as the product was kept bit far from the eyes. It looks something similar to this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...r-dsc00883.jpg.

Last edited by wmanu : 13th January 2010 at 14:35.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:54   #3642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Short answer don't do it , With out projector setup HID Xenon scatter too much of light and blinds oncoming traffic. Installing them on bike or M800 is invitation to disaster. Just think what if a bigger vehicle coming from opposite side has dust on the windshield and he just rams in to smaller vehicle with extra bright blinding lights.

HID and Haelogin light setups are totally different and just installing an HID kit is illegal all over the world.
I have a Jeep and often go for off roading even in the nights. I am looking for some HID Xenon extra lamps which I will use only in off road conditions. Note that I am using a 135 AMP alternator of Tata Safari. Pls suggest...

What would be the cost of this complete set up??
I am planning to fit them on the front bumper of my Jeep, are they streight fit in any Hella??

Last edited by DesertKing : 13th January 2010 at 15:05.
Old 13th January 2010, 15:31   #3643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
^ But how? They arent accessible from behind.
this requires opening of the led assembly box. then u'll be able to access the circuit from behind and fix it. i would recommend u to take it to a professional (tv or electronic repair shop) it u dont want to damage the assembly.
Old 14th January 2010, 18:41   #3644
Distinguished - BHPian

Lights for my Scorpio mHawk

I have driven 16 and a half thousand kilometres since last April on the stock lights and now I think I will much appreciate an upgrade.

Headlights: Philips Rally 90/100 Bulbs
Roots or Bosch Relay
No wiring kit - plug and play

I think the existing holders are ceramic themselves and not plastic. Will check on this one.

Stock fog lamps. I am not sure what bulbs go into these. Cant find their wattage on the manual. Anyone know this?

Aux Fog Lamps. I am going to place 4 aux fog lamp holders - clear lens type from Auto-pal. Set these up with a wiring kit and a roots/bosch relay. I will try and use one of the main switches from on the dashboard rather than the side stalk. Dont want that thing melting itself down. These aux lamps are going to get between 130W and 150W Philips rally bulbs.

Ofcourse, if you guys have any other suggestions, please do let me know. I plan to get this entire set up done this week end.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:36   #3645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I have a Jeep and often go for off roading even in the nights. I am looking for some HID Xenon extra lamps which I will use only in off road conditions. Note that I am using a 135 AMP alternator of Tata Safari. Pls suggest...

What would be the cost of this complete set up??
I am planning to fit them on the front bumper of my Jeep, are they streight fit in any Hella??
HID Xenon bulbs are also available in same size specifications example H3 , h4 so you should be able to fit them in Hella housing.
The difference in HID and normal bulbs is that HID needs a ballast for creating initial high voltage to create discharge but the power consumption of HID ( 35 Watts) is less then traditional Halogen lamps so an upgrade on alternator does not matter.

You can buy chinese made HID kits for 4500 to 8000 Rs in local market depending on the color value and quality they are sold under reputed brand names such as Phillips and Bosch as well but they are not Bosh or Phillips. Bosh does not manufacture HID kits and Phillips does not cater to local market. So buy any no-name HID kit which seller is willing to take back if anything goes wrong and do not pay premium for Bosch or Phillips brand.

Since I decided against HID I have no personal experience of installing using them .

Most Viewed