Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:59   #6766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygeetee View Post
Hi senior members and experts,
Can I get some help with my earlier query please.
I think you have to get a wiring custom designed for the DRL to work as it should normally. I see here people getting them linked to either manual switches or parking lights.

In order to make the DRLs work when engine is on and when headlamps are off, you need to do the following wiring connections. A relay will have two output terminals, one which is normally open and another which is normally closed. You have to connect the DRLs to the normally closed terminal. The relay can be controlled by a tap from the parking lamps. Power to the relay can be supplied from an accessory point. In this system, when you turn the key to the ACC position, DRL will work as the relay will be ON by default. However, when you switch On the headlamps, the DRL will switch off as the relay will go to the opposite state.

There are other designs also but this is a simple and easy setup.

Last edited by audioholic : 3rd January 2013 at 12:01.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:23   #6767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

I think you have to get a wiring custom designed for the DRL to work as it should normally. I see here people getting them linked to either manual switches or parking lights.

In order to make the DRLs work when engine is on and when headlamps are off, you need to do the following wiring connections. A relay will have two output terminals, one which is normally open and another which is normally closed. You have to connect the DRLs to the normally closed terminal. The relay can be controlled by a tap from the parking lamps. Power to the relay can be supplied from an accessory point. In this system, when you turn the key to the ACC position, DRL will work as the relay will be ON by default. However, when you switch On the headlamps, the DRL will switch off as the relay will go to the opposite state.

There are other designs also but this is a simple and easy setup.
Thanks audioholic!
So can I get such relays from electical goods shops?
Also does members know anyone in pune who would do this connection?
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:23   #6768
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes you can get it in electronics shops. However, the normal headlamp relay has only normally open contact. Its not possible to use such a relay for your requirement. Any other relay would be fine. I think any electrician can be able to hook this setup for you if you state the conditions to him. 1. Relay must receive power from ACC point. 2. When headlamps are switched on, the relay must energise and disconnect power to DRL. When relay is de-energised, it should normally be closed, hence powering the DRLs. Hence, the headlamp circuit must control the relay.
Old 4th January 2013, 00:40   #6769
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a new pair of drl lights last week...
Could you please give some details of the DRL's you got - like brand and price. Please do tell us why you chose it over the others available.

Also, do update when the proper wiring has been done, with details.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:37   #6770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Yes you can get it in electronics shops. However, the normal headlamp relay has only normally open contact. Its not possible to use such a relay for your requirement. Any other relay would be fine. I think any electrician can be able to hook this setup for you if you state the conditions to him. 1. Relay must receive power from ACC point. 2. When headlamps are switched on, the relay must energise and disconnect power to DRL. When relay is de-energised, it should normally be closed, hence powering the DRLs. Hence, the headlamp circuit must control the relay.
Ok, I will try and find out about this over the weekend. Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Could you please give some details of the DRL's you got - like brand and price. Please do tell us why you chose it over the others available.

Also, do update when the proper wiring has been done, with details.
Hi Geo,
These aren't any branded ones, simple chinese parts
I liked the simple look and the fact that there aren't any plastic pieces. The dome on the lights are made of glass. It looked well put together too.

It cost me about 600Rs for the same.

I looked up some threads on our forum and also some videos in order to understand the use. I liked the use of it (as per EU standards) so decided to get the relay that is used for the same but couldn't find anything in India websites or in our forums. There are some chinese sites which offer it but I am not sure if I should buy them. I will mostly try a DIY that audioholic has explained so well.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-11.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-12.jpg  

jaygeetee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 15:20   #6771
Team-BHP Support

I have tried the following bulbs in all my various cars and here's my review for each of them.

I am arranging the below in order of illumination. The below reviews are only for H4 bulbs.

1. Osram Night breaker plus - very good illumination still to see the life since I have them only for a month now. Slightly rainbow tinge. Rs. 1100 a pair.
2. Philips Xtreme Power - Good illumination but poor life. Slightly whitish tinge. Rs.800 for a pair.
3. Osram Silver star - Decent illumination and very good life. Stock yellow tinge only brighter. Rs. 420 for a pair.
4. Philips Vision Plus. - Decent illumination with slightly bluish tinge. Life is good for a couple of years atleast. - Rs.480 for a pair.

Also replaced fog lamps on my Figo H11 type with Philips crystal vision.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 15:49   #6772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Philips Xtreme Power - Good illumination but poor life. Slightly whitish tinge. Rs.800 for a pair.
I am planning to change Figo stock bulbs to Philiphs Xtreme Vision H4 55/60. Is Xtreme vision is better than Xtreme Power ? Where can I source original Phillips bulbs in Bangalore ?

Quote:
Does this one illuminates road better than stock ? I think crystal vision gives bit whittish light. Does this looks good with Xtremes Vision on headlamp ?
Old 4th January 2013, 16:02   #6773
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I am planning to change Figo stock bulbs to Philiphs Xtreme Vision H4 55/60. Is Xtreme vision is better than Xtreme Power ? Where can I source original Phillips bulbs in Bangalore ?
Philips authorized distributor:

AK TRADERS
PH: 4114-3199, 4114-3958
# 22/23, 1 FLOOR, SEETHALAKSHMI COMPLEX,
3'RD CROSS, JC ROAD, BLORE 02

Quote:
Does this one illuminates road better than stock ? I think crystal vision gives bit whittish light. Does this looks good with Xtremes Vision on headlamp ?
Crystal Vision gives pure white lights. Illumination is better than stock but not by much. They look almost like xenons.

My plan was to add them on my Altis since the Altis already has white xenons. When you turn the headlights on you get nice white light but when you turn the fogs you get pale yellow. Looked very unpleasant.

Instead I put them on the Figo since changing the bulbs required more effort in the Altis than the Figo.

I like them on the Figo as well so will get another pair for the Altis.

These are purely for show and won't drastically improve light throw.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 16:18   #6774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
... Is Xtreme vision is better than Xtreme Power ? ...
XV is the replacement for XP...whatever XP that one gets in the market will be old stock.
XV is definitely much better than stock Halogen, and marginally better than XP. Been using the XV in my father's Santro for about a year now (average use would probably be 40 hrs per month). Going good so far.

Quote:
...Crystal Vision gives pure white lights..These are purely for show and won't drastically improve light throw.
...CV gives white light which is good for normal usage, but not good in heavy rain. Throw is not good...just for looks.

Anyone tried Crytal Vision Ultra ? It was not available when I was looking for replacement bulbs...but it was advertised to be better than the plain CV bulbs.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 4th January 2013 at 16:22.
Old 4th January 2013, 16:33   #6775
BHPian

Quote:
I have tried the following bulbs in all my various cars and here's my review for each of them.

I am arranging the below in order of illumination. The below reviews are only for H4 bulbs.

1. Osram Night breaker plus - very good illumination still to see the life since I have them only for a month now. Slightly rainbow tinge. Rs. 1100 a pair.
2. Philips Xtreme Power - Good illumination but poor life. Slightly whitish tinge. Rs.800 for a pair.
3. Osram Silver star - Decent illumination and very good life. Stock yellow tinge only brighter. Rs. 420 for a pair.
4. Philips Vision Plus. - Decent illumination with slightly bluish tinge. Life is good for a couple of years atleast. - Rs.480 for a pair.

Maybe OT but you can get Osram nighbreaker plus on autotrends.in for Rs 799/-
Add Rs 60 for cash-on-delivery.
Some offer going on. Ordered one for myself.
jaygeetee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 17:00   #6776
BHPian

Quote:
I liked the use of it (as per EU standards) so decided to get the relay that is used for the same but couldn't find anything in India...
Why take so much pain?? I would Jus connect them to a separate switch, and switch em on manually. Agreed, its more effort consuming, but you wouldn't need DRL's in bumper to bumper traffic, right?

On the highways, they're awesome though!! On the lookout for a good pair myself.
Old 4th January 2013, 18:46   #6777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post

Why take so much pain?? I would Jus connect them to a separate switch, and switch em on manually. Agreed, its more effort consuming, but you wouldn't need DRL's in bumper to bumper traffic, right?

On the highways, they're awesome though!! On the lookout for a good pair myself.
Come to think of it I wouldnt need one for highway either but yeah since I am fitting it, I figured i'd look around for the complete solution. and where else to look for it but here.
I dont want the manual hassle but yeah if I dont get it then the switch would be the option.
All the best with your search! Do let us know how it goes.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:05   #6778
Senior - BHPian

So on my never ending quest for better H4 bulbs i got myself a pair of Hella's Yellow Star 130w bulbs. Can't wait to try them out on my Swift.

My headlight journey has been thus:
Stock-Crystal Vision-Diamond Vision-Extreme Vision/Power-Night breaker-Rally 130w-All season 100w.

Hope my quest ends at Yellow Star.

Also need your expert advice on my issue with Hella's Rallye 500 Black Magic.
Got them installed and working like a charm. But stopped after a few months. MASS says the wire is getting shorted out and is not able to handle the load. I ain't no electrical expert so could you guys advice?

Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 15:49   #6779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
But stopped after a few months. MASS says the wire is getting shorted out and is not able to handle the load. I ain't no electrical expert so could you guys advice?

Thanks
Get a good quality relay, that should take care of load .
Cheers
Old 5th January 2013, 17:21   #6780
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
So on my never ending quest for better H4 bulbs i got myself a pair of Hella's Yellow Star 130w bulbs. Can't wait to try them out on my Swift.
Also need your expert advice on my issue with Hella's Rallye 500 Black Magic.
Got them installed and working like a charm. But stopped after a few months. MASS says the wire is getting shorted out and is not able to handle the load. I ain't no electrical expert so could you guys advice?

Thanks
130W is an overkill on a car! At the max, you should go for a 100W. These bulbs generate huge heat too and can melt your stock holders. So along with a relay, a ceremic holder is a must. Guess these bulbs will damage the reflectors too in the long run.

Most Viewed