Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 10:07   #6736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Try and take it back to the store, though I doubt after one year you will get any replacement. Usually you don't get any, and after one year, even the manufacturer won't offer you any.

If you don't want to upgrade to 90/100, why not stick to the stock lights? Go with a good brand like Hella or Philips. Similar to the Osram nightbreakers, Philips too has a range (ExtraPower or something) which claims to provide more light than the stock 55/60 lights.

One question I want to ask: Long ago there was a website www.indiacar.com, which had a section where you could ask automobile-related queries to their inhouse experts. I remember back then the expert on four wheelers was one Mr. S K Gupta, and he was dead against the higher wattage bulbs. His stock advice to anyone asking about the bulb upgrade was to check the reflectors.

After all the manufacturers must have put some thought into this? They couldn't make their headlights purposely built such that only 90/100 bulbs would offer better illumination?

Also since I got the Nano I am witnessing what a good headlight can do to your car. I have never even faced the need to upgrade to higher wattage bulbs. But I do get struck by wrongly aimed headlights of the oncoming vehicles.

So the question is: Is a mindless rush to upgrade the bulbs the only option? Are we forgetting about headlight aiming or checking the reflectors, just because it's 'cool' to be using higher-wattage bulbs with absolute disregard to the oncoming traffic or the law?
Thanks for the advice. Will try to find genuine philips one's.

Actually in case of headlights more is never enough hence the inclination towards higher wattage. But i agree to your point that emphasis should be made on focusing of the headlight too.
Old 25th December 2012, 10:15   #6737
BANNED

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

@honeybee; Do not forget 90/100W is ILLEGAL.
Old 25th December 2012, 10:52   #6738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post

After all the manufacturers must have put some thought into this? They couldn't make their headlights purposely built such that only 90/100 bulbs would offer better illumination?

So the question is: Is a mindless rush to upgrade the bulbs the only option? Are we forgetting about headlight aiming or checking the reflectors, just because it's 'cool' to be using higher-wattage bulbs with absolute disregard to the oncoming traffic or the law?
If there is a reason I upgraded to 100/90, it was the need for more lumen for every point that is illuminated in front of my car. Both my cars have good reflectors, with a good beam throw in both high and low beam. Only thing is that, once the length of light throw increases, say in high beam, the intensity reduces a lot. Hence, in such conditions I wanted higher light output. I never had a focusing issue or alignment issue. Hence, the 100/90 upgrade solved my problem. Whichever point is illuminated, that is done to my satisfaction.

However, some cars have reflectors itself as the culprit. So for such cars, wattage upgrade will not help.
Old 25th December 2012, 22:44   #6739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@honeybee; Do not forget 90/100W is ILLEGAL.
I am aware, and that's why I am against it. Of late I have started noticing so many problems with the headlights of oncoming vehicles, I am actually thinking of filing a complaint against the illegal and poorly aimed lights. I hope the cops start a campaign similar to the Chennai cops and punish all those with such blinding lights.

It's getting OT now, so I won't comment further on this topic on this thread.
Old 26th December 2012, 09:16   #6740
Senior - BHPian

Could someone please point out to me what is legal and what is not? I have got halogens focused by projectors on my Kizashi but I am planning to get HIDs installed 4000k-6000k not sure yet. I hear that projectors do not blind oncoming traffic like reflectors do, is that true? Also which are the best bulbs I can get? I just read her about how certain things are illegal. Please suggest the best possible LEGAL upgrade
Old 26th December 2012, 09:29   #6741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Could someone please point out to me what is legal and what is not? I have got halogens focused by projectors on my Kizashi but I am planning to get HIDs installed 4000k-6000k not sure yet. I hear that projectors do not blind oncoming traffic like reflectors do, is that true? Also which are the best bulbs I can get? I just read her about how certain things are illegal. Please suggest the best possible LEGAL upgrade
Since you already have projectors, go for 4300k HID's. Low beam is completely safe but high beams can be irritating.
Old 26th December 2012, 09:48   #6742
BANNED

Philips claims XtremeVision are legal in every country of the world. I guess ditto for Osram NB+. Rest is all grey area. Presumable non OE (whether supplied or bought) lights of any form may also be illegal.
Old 26th December 2012, 11:28   #6743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Philips claims XtremeVision are legal in every country of the world. I guess ditto for Osram NB+. Rest is all grey area. Presumable non OE (whether supplied or bought) lights of any form may also be illegal.
Thanks. I went on to their website, what about philips Ultinon? Would they be allowed too?
Old 26th December 2012, 12:20   #6744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Thanks. I went on to their website, what about philips Ultinon? Would they be allowed too?

The suitable bulbs would be the Philips Xtreme vision. I think Kizashi uses H7 bulbs. So this would be a direct fit and better lumination too!
Old 26th December 2012, 14:50   #6745
BHPian

Quote:
Philips claims XtremeVision are legal in every country of the world.
small correction, sir.

Just checked the Philips India website and only 60/55W are listed under XtremeVision. 100/90W bulbs are in the Essential Power category, and marked "For off the road usage only".

That said, they're selling the 100/90W bulbs in the market - and marked "legal".
Old 26th December 2012, 14:55   #6746
BANNED

no-enthu-da; My statement is 100% accurate, I know that XV are 60/55 only. No need to repeat the obvious. What is happening with the other labels does not concern me?
Old 26th December 2012, 15:13   #6747
BHPian

Quote:
no-enthu-da; My statement is 100% accurate, I know that XV are 60/55 only. No need to repeat the obvious. What is happening with the other labels does not concern me?
My last line is about XV.

If I'm not wrong, I have XV 100/90 in my car and the package says they're legal. Which is in contrast to your statement about 100/90s.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:42   #6748
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post

If I'm not wrong, I have XV 100/90 in my car and the package says they're legal. Which is in contrast to your statement about 100/90s.
Must be legal for Off Road Usage Only, whatever that means. Even the 70 and 80W HB3 & 4 are marked Off Road Only on the site.
Old 26th December 2012, 20:03   #6749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If XV means extreme vision then I can assure you that they are available only in 55/60 watt. If you have got higher wattage of the same version then either you have bought a fake one or you got confused with the numbers.
Old 26th December 2012, 21:19   #6750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...If I'm not wrong, I have XV 100/90 in my car and the package says they're legal...
Can u please check and let us know for sure?

Philips XV is available only in 60W/55W power rating : the universal street-legal rating.

XP used to come in 100/90W, IIRC, but they were not street-legal, and could be used only off-the-road (meaning, you could NOT use it in the regular {paved} roads ).

Most Viewed