Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2013, 00:35   #6886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
You bet they are. My friend got the same + angel eyes for his Polo at 7.5k complete from JC road last week. And they work great with all the headlamp levelling and everything intact.

Though the JC road one is of suspect quality, but repairing it would cost very less upto a maximum of 2k inr. Plus its locally serviceable.

Till now this is the lowest price ive ever heard. Still testing it out. Will post after one month if any problems turn up. Fingers crossed.
Do you have any pictures ? Please do put the report on reliability as well. The shop address too will help.
Old 30th January 2013, 00:59   #6887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Do you have any pictures ? Please do put the report on reliability as well. The shop address too will help.
Surely by the weekend.
On the reliability front the projectors have lasted well over a week. But ive a doubt about the supplied HIDs. The earlier ones conked off in 8 months. The ballast needed replacing.

Btw which light would help in the rains? In fog it was impossible to drive with these lamps. Ive asked him to get an HID more towards the yellow spectrum. Any suggestions on that?

Will get the details of the shop if possible. Or atleast the location. Most of them have no proper names. Lets see.
Old 30th January 2013, 11:23   #6888
BANNED

@Parthsarthig; For bad weather go for 2700K or 3000K. The bluer the light (higher colour temperature) the worse it is in rain, fog, mist.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 23:07   #6889
BHPian

I just got a 4300k H8 HID kit for my Polo's fog lamps but the final effect hasn't been what I desired. Should I get them aligned? or only projectors will help focus the beam?
Old 1st February 2013, 08:59   #6890
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I got installed a Hella Relay Kit + a pair of Hella 90/100 bulbs for the headlights. But since last evening
- the high-beam sign is constantly on.
- the beam flasher doesnt work
- the high and low beams work when I toggle between them. But after a while high beam stops working.

My car is a Skoda Rapid. Any suggestions on what might have happened. I'm going to my accessory guy who installed it and getting it corrected. But would be really grateful if you guys have any suggestions I shall keep in my mind.

P.S.: These issues apart, they do seem to be an amazing upgrade from the stock. Much brighter and farther throw.
Old 1st February 2013, 09:23   #6891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas5 View Post
Hi Guys,

I got installed a Hella Relay Kit + a pair of Hella 90/100 bulbs for the headlights. But since last evening
- the high and low beams work when I toggle between them. But after a while high beam stops working.

My car is a Skoda Rapid. Any suggestions on what might have happened. I'm going to my accessory guy who installed it and getting it corrected. But would be really grateful if you guys have any suggestions I shall keep in my mind.

P.S.: These issues apart, they do seem to be an amazing upgrade from the stock. Much brighter and farther throw.
The high beam used to stop working after a while or sometimes after 3-4 toggles. The problem was with the relay. I had to get it changed. Mine was almost an year old though.

The high beam sign is on even when the stalk is on low beam? Thats peculiar.

The beam flasher also doesn't work.

The relay seems to be the culprit.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 12:01   #6892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I had the same problem minutes after the installation. I had been given a bad relay. Went and exchanged the relay and till date, it has not occurred again. After fitting the new relay, give it some work. If there is a defect, it will show up there itself.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 13:29   #6893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
The high beam used to stop working after a while or sometimes after 3-4 toggles. The problem was with the relay. I had to get it changed. Mine was almost an year old though.

The high beam sign is on even when the stalk is on low beam? Thats peculiar.

The beam flasher also doesn't work.

The relay seems to be the culprit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I had the same problem minutes after the installation. I had been given a bad relay. Went and exchanged the relay and till date, it has not occurred again. After fitting the new relay, give it some work. If there is a defect, it will show up there itself.
Thanks guys. I'll get the relay checked and replaced in the evening. I feel that the problem might not reappear moments after installing the new relay. Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to keep the lights on for a few minutes as a part of checking successful installation?
Old 1st February 2013, 13:45   #6894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'll get the relay checked and replaced in the evening. I feel that the problem might not reappear moments after installing the new relay. Do you guys think it'd be a good idea to keep the lights on for a few minutes as a part of checking successful installation?

Its a sticky relay. Replace with a new one and the problem should go away!
Old 1st February 2013, 19:28   #6895
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend is looking for better light in his 2008 model WagonR. Presently, it runs on stock bulbs.

Is it ideal to install new Hella or any other brand headlight sets with brackets? How much does it cost?

Can we replace the standard fog lamp holder with higher capacity bulbs, say 90/100W?

Or, is it still better to upgrade stock lamps?

Please advise guys!
Old 1st February 2013, 19:54   #6896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
One of my friend is looking for better light in his 2008 model WagonR. Presently, it runs on stock bulbs.

Is it ideal to install new Hella or any other brand headlight sets with brackets? How much does it cost?

Can we replace the standard fog lamp holder with higher capacity bulbs, say 90/100W?

Or, is it still better to upgrade stock lamps?

Please advise guys!
Get a hella/philips/minda relay installed. It comes with wiring kit connected to ceramic holders. Install 90/100 bulbs and you wouldn't need any more light.

Standard bulb holder would be fried very soon if you use 90/100 bulbs in them.
k2max6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 20:57   #6897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Standard bulb holder would be fried very soon if you use 90/100 bulbs in them.
100/90W bulb means a dual beam (low & high) which is meant for headlights only not for fogs. Fog lamp bulbs are single beam filament types.

Higher watts bulbs can only be used with a supporting reflector bowls. Else you need to shell out for a new pair of fog lamp kit shortly.

Last edited by sajjt : 1st February 2013 at 20:58.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 23:11   #6898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7
Just bought 2 pairs of Philips Xtreme vision H4 60/55 bulbs from AK traders, JC road, Bangalore. Cost was Rs. 900 per pair inclusive of taxes. MRP printed is Rs. 600 per bulb. Did try bargaining for a discount, but the shop owner did not budge, and he went on to say that even if we take 200 bulbs, the selling price will remain the same!
Today we purchased same above bulbs from AK Traders @ Rs.900. Didn't try to negotiate but they were very nice.

Thanks for sharing this dealer info.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2013, 00:07   #6899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post

Today we purchased same above bulbs from AK Traders @ Rs.900. Didn't try to negotiate but they were very nice.

Thanks for sharing this dealer info.
I have used three pairs of Philips Extreme Vision. I must say I like its spread and tint but bugged with its short life of around 10 months.
So this time upgraded to higher wattage.
Old 3rd February 2013, 08:58   #6900

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Quite happy with the upgrade. The throw of the low beam has increased which i wanted badly. The high beam is too bright.

If your brother wants a longer throw then either he will have to put projectors or auxiliary lights... i feel 130/100 might blacken or spoil the reflectors since the 100/90 already makes the headlights hot.

Sent from my RAZR
Hi Rambo1o1,

If you do not mind, could you please share the information about how much it costs to do this upgrade?. I have older model of H City and I am looking to go for similar setup in Bangalore.

Thanks.

Most Viewed