Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2013, 11:31   #6946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
Hi,

I am planing to replace 100/90 (with Hella wiring kit) in wagon r with 130/100, has someone used this setup and faced any issues such as burned/blackened reflector since headlight material is plastic in Wagon R.

Which brand would you recommend for 130/100 based on your past experience.

Regards.
But I would certainly advise against doing the same in your WagonR.
The 100/90 that you are using now should be more than sufficient for your car and city driving.

Please do not go for the upgradation simply because it is feasible and you can afford to do the same, but judge whether you really require the same.

Assuming that you use the WagonR mainly for city commute, you really do not need such high power headlights. Hope you understand.
Old 16th February 2013, 12:04   #6947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I am planing to replace 100/90 (with Hella wiring kit) in wagon r with 130/100, has someone used this setup and faced any issues such as burned/blackened reflector since headlight material is plastic in Wagon R.

Which brand would you recommend for 130/100 based on your past experience.

Regards.
90/100 itself is very hot for the reflectors. I cannot image what would happen at 130.

If light is not sufficient with 90/100, then something is wrong with the assy or your eyes.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2013, 00:53   #6948
BHPian

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience and feedback. I use my car both for city commute and highway runs. The reason I am contemplating this upgrade is because the roads on which I drive are not lighted. There is a grave danger of hitting someone (pedestrian or 2 wheeler) while they are trying to cross the road from random spots. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

I also agree that these lights (both 90/100 or 100/130) generate a lot of heat but if you use this judiciously you would keep yourself and others safe. I switch off headlight while I am waiting at signal or in heavy traffic, light from fog lamps is enough when you are in peak hour traffic (i.e crawling).

Regards.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:34   #6949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

There is a grave danger of hitting someone (pedestrian or 2 wheeler) while they are trying to cross the road from random spots. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry.

I also agree that these lights (both 90/100 or 100/130) generate a lot of heat but if you use this judiciously you would keep yourself and others safe. I switch off headlight while I am waiting at signal or in heavy traffic, light from fog lamps is enough when you are in peak hour traffic (i.e crawling).
I appreciate your concern, but still the upgrade is not really necessary.
As SUN has already pointed out, if 100/90 is not sufficient, the problem is somewhere else and that needs attention.

It is fine that you switch off the headlights at signals, but you would certainly use it while driving. Have you ever experienced the amount of glare that the driver coming from opposite direction would have to bear with.

Sorry mate, I can't support your move to upgrade to 100/130 because in the process you would be exposing many other motorists to immense glare of your headlight. Moreover it is illegal too.

Ultimate decision is yours.

Last edited by Sommos : 18th February 2013 at 12:35.
Old 18th February 2013, 13:25   #6950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You should get an H7 in any good aftermarket shops. As far as I know even Corolla has the H7 spec, Osram / Philips should deal in those. Not sure of the prices though, my guesstimate is Rs. 200/- for a single bulb.
Finally, I went to a local garrage and asked for a simple OEM spec H7 replacement bulb. They were selling Bosch make for Rs.180/piece. I bought 2, replaced the faulty one and kept the other as spare. They were very enthusiastic to know which car it is so that they can tell me the fitment charges. I told them that I just want to buy the bulb and "walk away". They were a little disappointed....

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 17:17   #6951
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
...I bought 2, replaced the faulty one and kept the other as spare...
I suggest you use both the new ones and keep the (old) working one as a spare. Since the other one would have worn out a bit, having 2 new will be better from an illumination perspective (if you stand in front after switching on the beams, you can see a slight difference).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th February 2013 at 17:33.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 17:40   #6952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I suggest you use both the new ones and keep the (old) working one as a spare. Since the other one would have worn out a bit, having 2 new will be better from an illumination perspective (if you stand in front after switching on the beams, you can see a slight difference).
Yes, I can check that tonight, but I am also tempted to see how long the right one continues to work before it gives away. If I notice a great deal of difference, I will replace the right one as well. I will report after I inspect. Thanks.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 20:19   #6953
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any idea how to source the starters / inverters for CCFL angel eyes?

Basically mini "chokes" from home tubelamps? (presumably)

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2013 at 11:17. Reason: Fixing typos
Old 18th February 2013, 21:27   #6954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Guys, any idea how to source the starters / inverters for CCFL angel eyes?

Basically mini "chokes" from home tubelamps? (presumably)
LED angel eyes will be better!
No relative dimming and will be a lot brighter than ccfl!

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2013 at 11:17. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 18th February 2013, 23:43   #6955
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post

LED angel eyes will be better!
No relative dimming and will be a lot brighter than ccfl!
I already have the angel eyes installed, and one of the starters has gone kaput.
It's been a pain to source one so far.
Old 19th February 2013, 00:34   #6956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk_2009 View Post
Adi,
These are not driving lights but Aux lamps and are not meant for road use. I usually cover them with caps and only open it whenever going outside city limits. Ofcourse, their usage is limited to on need basis and never on busy roads. If used on road with oncoming traffic, yes it would cause inconvenience for other drivers and certainly not safe.

For driving, I have upgraded my Scorpio stock headlights to 90/100 and it serves the purpose.

I see almost 8 out of 10 vehicles using high beam all the time within and outside city limits. This includes vehicles from bikes to BEST buses. Also we encounter bad drivers putting their own and other road users lives in danger. We all know how much inconvenience it causes.

Using low beam, using indicators while taking turn, parking at public places or safe driving are some of the many simple things which are legally defined and we can follow but unfortunately are rare to be seen.

Following the law is important and I feel that moral responsibility is equally or more important.

I shared this light modification on this forum just to let everyone know of the possibility. I do not recommend to use them as regular lights.

Hi,
Not many people on the road do realise this.Glad you do.
Wish you many happy and safe miles.
Old 20th February 2013, 00:21   #6957
BHPian

Hi

Most of us have noticied the general trend of auto manufactures of increasing the headlamps - both intensity of light as well as the number of headlamps. I have spent some time to observe in what direction OEMs have gone -

Cars such as Indigo, Ford Fiesta, and i20 have twin headlamps. Stock is 55/60 or 60/65 and if there are two of them then think of the illumination. In SUVs - Fortuner, XUV, Duster, Santa Fe, Pajero and Outlander have twin headlamps - in most cases one halogen and the other HID. Additionally these vehicles have a fog lamp. I am not even talking about Honda Accord/Passat/Skoda/BMW/Audi/Merc OEM lamps - most of them are stadium level lights. I mean just an amazing combination of lights and focus. All very nice, good to see technology taking its own momentum.

While we think about the march of technology lets spare a thought for some other users on the road - two wheelers - except Pulser 220 and R 15 no one has a comparable high beam. Where does our old trusted Bajaj Chetak stand in this? There would be a user who drives that as well. Probably has the rest of the family along too. All he cares about is to reach home safely and he probably won't be impressed with blinding lights - if all are on!

That makes me wonder that at least in city driving all of the headlamps are not even needed and will blind other users. Streets are mostly well lit besides light on the road from dozens of other users.

Let's shift to highway. The crown is taken by B9R Volvo. To the best of my knowledge there are projector 90/100 W x 3 plus a fog lamp on each side. In total 8 headlamps. Most of them also add 2 additional ones. Thankfully they don't ply much within city limits but on the highway their illumination can really light up a dark night. There are a few routes where they ply on 2 lane highways but rarely dip from hi beam. The hi-end cars and the SUVs - majority drive with all the lights on. I would be careful of not using all lights on a 2 lane highway though on a 4 or a 6 lane GQ as far as it does not blind on coming tracffic it is ok to illuminate a dark stretch. One has to use good judgement while using extra set of lights of any has been installed.

What about our Ashok Laylands, Tata and Eicher trucks. They have 4 headlamps plus an additional spot light. The hight of all of these trucks is at driver level for cars. I think AMW and Bharat Benz trucks have far better set of headlamps.

My appeal of all owners of vehicles with powerful OEM headlamps - please use only what is required in city. In any case there is so much other light available within the city. All the headlamps are certainly not needed and please bear in mind there are other users of the road. This, with particular reference to two wheelers.

An additional appeal to all users. Please make sure the rear lights are working and your vehicle is clearly visible to other users. This applies more to highway users. A quarter of vehicles don't have proper rear lights. Trucks, tractor trollies, dumpers and even state transport buses are the biggest culprits. At the very least a few reflectors will go a long way in relecting light back. For those who have driven in Rajasthan at night you may have noticed most camel carts have a lantern hanging at the rear. Even they understand that need.

And a final appeal is to pedestrians. Please wear something white at night and look out for vehicles turning a corner.

I travel extensively on highways and saying this with some experience. My Ertiga has additional Light Force. The additional lamps are always covered and never used in the city plus I always drive on low beam within the city. Some years ago I had a Hero Honda CD 100 and fully understand what it means to get oncoming blinding light.

Being considerate to other users is 'being human'.

Last edited by Rajain : 20th February 2013 at 00:36.
Rajain is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 15:23   #6958
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Agreed. Most city roads are well lit these days and we dont require additional lighting in order to see the road. So I usually drive with parking lights and fog lamps, only to be seen and not to see. Its a wastage of energy as well as inconvenience to road users.
Old 20th February 2013, 23:33   #6959
Senior - BHPian

Bhpians need help on headlight relays.

Current setup in my Vento is 100/90W bulbs with PMP relay. It has two 30A fuses which tend to go out say within 5 days with usage of headlights for 1.5 hr during return drive from office.

Would changing the relay from PMP to either Hella or Philips help in any way? That is better company meaning long lasting. Sorry for asking such noob questions.

Lastly can someone provide a way to install & uninstall relay DiY, as I don't like road side mechanic messing up with my car's electrical's. From my understanding of current installation, there is one relay which takes care of both headlamps and has a wire from battery going to the relay and both ceramic holders having a black earthing wire screwed to metal.

Thanks.
Old 21st February 2013, 02:28   #6960

TBHP members, despite being a member for about 6 yrs now this is my first ever post, not because I don't visit the forums often but because all my queries are already addressed in one or the other forum. Well, today I'm reaching out to you seeking your expert opinion on a genuine place from where I can buy a quad bi xenon projectors with angel eyes & DRL for my Chevy Cruze & get installed. Typically not a retrofitted ones, unless no choice. To add I'm also looking for projector fog lamps. I own the car for 3 years now however, I'm still obsessed with it's beauty & it gives me a feel of a brand new right out of a showroom. I'd rather not compromise on quality for which I'm ok to shell an extra provided the parts & work done are class apart. I would really appreciate if anyone can point me to the best place in Gurgaon for this work.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks