Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2017, 09:15   #4741
Distinguished - BHPian

Just switched the ford figo to synthetic mobil 1 delvac 5w40, after 65k on the odo. Had a flush done first.

The results are instant. The car just drives so much better!
Old 18th July 2017, 09:55   #4742
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Hi,
I had a query ,has anybody used Gulf ultrasyntx 10w40 engine oil(sn rating semi synthetic).
Wanted to know ,if its better than castrol magnatec 10w40 same sn rating semi synthetic.
Does mobil has any 10w 40 engine oil?
Old 20th July 2017, 20:16   #4743

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post

Ceratec might give you instant difference, but a good quality will do the same over a range of 500-1000kms. (Your liqui moly oil is that good).
The Honda Oil that I use in my city is SM 0W30.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-sm-0w30-honda-oil.jpg  

Old 21st July 2017, 10:08   #4744
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel Spin View Post
The Honda Oil that I use in my city is SM 0W30.
I will be quite happy until I can lay my hands on 0W20. Should give you smoother running, with maybe a 2-5% economy gain. API SM is quite ok for me. More than high enough.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2017 at 23:10. Reason: Typo
Old 28th July 2017, 14:07   #4745
Distinguished - BHPian

After having used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 exclusively for over 8 years I may opt for Mobil 1 0W-40/5W-30 or Liqui Moly 5W-30/5W-40 for my car's annual service in Q4 2017.

A bit confused with the Liqui Moly range of products. Which one is a fully synthetic oil and a recommended replacement for SHU?

Also considering Motul Xcess 5W-40.
Old 28th July 2017, 16:43   #4746
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
A bit confused with the Liqui Moly range of products. Which one is a fully synthetic oil and a recommended replacement for SHU?
After using Honda OEM Idemitsu engine oil for the Brio for the past five years, I just purchased a 4 litre can of 5W-40 Liqui Moly Molygen New Generation from Amazon for an upcoming service next week. This is a fully synth oil.

Last edited by gpa : 28th July 2017 at 16:46.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 16:57   #4747
BHPian

Question for the readers: how do you know in case you need to change oil midinterval based on smell/ colour/ viscosity etc? Every time I check the oil levels I have this doubt.

FYI, I use Mobil1 0w40 in my Ertiga Diesel.
Old 28th July 2017, 17:26   #4748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
After using Honda OEM Idemitsu engine oil for the Brio for the past five years, I just purchased a 4 litre can of New Generation from Amazon for an upcoming service next week. This is a fully synth oil.
Yes it is a synth oil, as are their other products like the Synthoil 0W-40, Leichtlauf 5W-40 and Top Tec 4100 5W-40.

Thing is, I could use any one of these but I am at a loss to decipher the exact distinguishing characteristics and USP of each product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Question for the readers: how do you know in case you need to change oil midinterval based on smell/ colour/ viscosity etc? Every time I check the oil levels I have this doubt.

FYI, I use Mobil1 0w40 in my Ertiga Diesel.
The only way to ascertain the condition of oil is to send it to a lab for chemical analysis.

One should not use look/smell/color to determine drain intervals. Just stick to your recommended guidelines as specified in the owners manual.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 04:12   #4749
BHPian

Quote:
After having used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 exclusively for over 8 years I may opt for Mobil 1 0W-40/5W-30 or Liqui Moly 5W-30/5W-40 for my car's annual service in Q4 2017.

Also considering Motul Xcess 5W-40.
5W-40 motor oils cannot be blended without using synthetic base stocks thereby all 5W-40 oils are synthetic.

In terms of your question that which of the different Liqui Moly 5W-40s is the closest match with Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, please note that all the manufacturers’ use proprietary formulation and no two oil even if they fall within the same viscometric range would be identical.

I would say Liqui Moly LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH 5W-40 is a close fit in that it is the broadest spectrum oil in terms of OEM approval from gasoline motor oil perspective (I assume you’re going to use it in a gasoline engine).

TOP TEC 4100 5W-40 is the next option and then comes the SYNTHOIL HIGH TECH 5W-40 (this has an API-SM spec that is last gen, therefore, is my last choice).
If ACEA A3/B4 is more important to you than SYNTHOIL HIGH TECH 5W-40 would be my second choice.

DIESEL HIGH TECH 5W-40; as can be made out from the name is clearly geared towards the diesel engines.

As can be observed clearly if someone needs a specific BMW/MB or ACEA specification then they should choose the oil that meets that particular spec.

For the majority of Indian/Japanese/South Korean gasoline engines, LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH 5W-40/ TOP TEC 4100 5W-40/SYNTHOIL HIGH TECH 5W-40 should suffice unless otherwise specified.

As for mills coming out of Europe (that includes GM/Ford as they draw the majority of their small capacity motors from their European subsidiaries) please look at both the Viscometric range and the OEM spec. European mills are much more temperamental, expensive to fix as they have higher compression ratios, employ turbo charging more often than not therefore much more susceptible to malfunctioning on account of the incorrect use of lubricant. Having said that nowadays this is probably true for almost all the motors, therefore, please read your owners’ manuals carefully.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 29th July 2017 at 04:18. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 05:32   #4750
Senior - BHPian

When I gave our Eon for service at Advaith, Cantonment they removed the semi synth and replaced it with servo mineral. Mid way through the drive it was getting too hard and the car was struggling in gear. Immediately I parked at Shell, had it drained out and replaced with semi synth. Don't know why they do this as the difference in price, when I checked, was only Rs. 75 per litre. The car needs 2.5 litres. Also, I suspect a dubious quality oil.

Learned a valuable lesson; to always carry the oil for service. Take no chances. You guys think I should write to Hyundai, considering I almost damaged my engine?
Old 29th July 2017, 10:36   #4751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
5W-40 motor oils cannot be blended without using synthetic base stocks thereby all 5W-40 oils are synthetic.

In terms of your question that which of the different Liqui Moly 5W-40s is the closest match with Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, please note that all the manufacturers’ use proprietary formulation and no two oil even if they fall within the same viscometric range would be identical.
Yes I understand. I probably should have made my post a little more informative and been clearer. What I meant was which one of these Liqui Moly oils would provide the same or better performance than SHU 5W-40 API SN which is the oil I've been using for over 8 years.

This is for use in the S/SE Asian Corolla Altis/Corolla (the 10th Gen 2007-2013 model) with the 1.8L 1ZZ-FE petrol engine.

Toyota kitted the 10G S/SE Asian model with the 2ZR-FE engine in 2010/11 during its mid-life refresh.

Quote:
I would say Liqui Moly LEICHTLAUF HIGH TECH 5W-40 is a close fit in that it is the broadest spectrum oil in terms of OEM approval from gasoline motor oil perspective (I assume you’re going to use it in a gasoline engine).

Having said that nowadays this is probably true for almost all the motors, therefore, please read your owners’ manuals carefully.

Hope this helps.
It sure does help. Thanks very much for your inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Learned a valuable lesson; to always carry the oil for service. Take no chances. You guys think I should write to Hyundai, considering I almost damaged my engine?
Even in the best of times IOC Servo is/was a very ordinary oil..and that's putting it politely. Stay away from it if you love your car.

Yes, you should complain but now you have replaced the oil with an aftermarket oil so Hyundai won't be able to conduct an investigation even if it wants to by analysing samples from the oil filled at the dealership.
Old 30th July 2017, 21:18   #4752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Not as far fetched as we may fear. 10,000 miles has been the norm with API-SF and beyond. So 20,000 is not that tough to imagine.
Wanted to share this info to you, i had shared this few pages back on same brand. After few months I am convinced, so i want to emphasize it again-

http://eneos.co.in/products/eneos-fine-5w-40/

I have ddis and ivtec both and I am using same eneos 5w40 in both. Engine runs so much better than 5w30. Hell it runs better than delvac (ddis) or idemistu (ivtec). (and yes, 40 oil actually performed better than 30 oil on ivtec, specially in summer (less evaporation), its very smooth)

I have also tried their 5w30 which was OK, but 5w40 has high moly content and cleaning agents and better base oil (hence more expensive than 5w30).

If you can get hold of this oil, do try it out. Do note that this is semi-syn. My experience has been better with mineral or semi, rather than fully syn.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2017, 23:25   #4753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
After using Honda OEM Idemitsu engine oil for the Brio for the past five years, I just purchased a 4 litre can of 5W-40 Liqui Moly Molygen New Generation from Amazon for an upcoming service next week. This is a fully synth oil.
Hi buddy, been a long time quoting you :-). How is the performance of the new oil ?
Old 18th August 2017, 21:57   #4754
Distinguished - BHPian

Couldn't decide between the different Liqui Moly engine oils and decided to pick on a comparatively well known brand that I had used in the past.

So I ordered a can of Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP synthetic from Amazon. This is a recommended viscosity for my car engine. Let me see how this one performs. I don't expect any noticeable change over Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 but a slight drop in viscosity MAY result in marginally better fuel efficiency. Time will tell.

Nevertheless I also ordered 2 litres of Liqui Moly 75W-90 GL4/GL5 synthetic transmission oil. The manual tranny requires 1.9 litres as per the manual. Now this is where I expect to see a difference even in my car's smooth shifting albeit slightly notchy GB. Not sure what the factory fill oil spec is but I assume it is mineral 80W-90. The ASC had advised me that a GB oil change was not required (factory fill is for life) and if done was pretty expensive at about Rs 2,500-3,000 for this service excluding labour.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2017, 22:05   #4755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nevertheless I also ordered 2 litres of Liqui Moly 75W-90 GL4/GL5 synthetic transmission oil.
What was the cost per litre??

I haven't used the LM transmission oil, but have used their additive along with Shell Spirax 75W90, and the result was awesome.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks