Go Back   Team-BHP > Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Old 24th June 2018, 10:16   #676
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Which is the better of the two and will it be an issue if I run one new tyre (Bridgestone or Good Year) and one old tyre (MRF) on the back
Please get yourself Bridgestone

I'll suggest you to get two new tyres and change both the old MRF's at the rear. Don't change just one tyre.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2018, 10:39   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Please get yourself Bridgestone

I'll suggest you to get two new tyres and change both the old MRF's at the rear. Don't change just one tyre.
Thanks Anurag. I was thinking the same thing myself but just wanted confirmation.
Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018, 12:00   #678
BHPian

Im happy with Bridgestone B290, The original tyres were Apollo on my i20 crdi and I replaced those at 44K kms. I was not happy with Apollo 's because, these tyres were prone to get puncture and tyre noise was more. Somehow covered 44K kms with two punctures on each Tyre and replaced with B290. I covered till now 30K Kms on B290, no punctures as of now, touch wood

B290 is better compare to Apollo's and the Tyre noise is less, but cant compare with Michelin. Michelin has a soft side wall. This provides a very smooth drive. Few of my friends had side wall punctures on Michelin. Not sure Michelin fixed this in XM2 series. I opted B290 as I was driving frequently to Mangalore/Udupi from Bangalore and Shiradi ghat was in terrible shape. Over all I'm happy with B290.
roshanjathanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2018, 16:09   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshanjathanna View Post
Michelin has a soft side wall. This provides a very smooth drive. Few of my friends had side wall punctures on Michelin. Not sure Michelin fixed this in XM2 series.
Even my i20 came with the factory fitted Apollos and in the 1st 2 years, I used to frequently visit the tyre shop for puncture repair. I'm pretty sure I had more puncture-repair-tape than rubber on the Apollos when I finally switched to the XM2s.

The XM2s are truly a breeze to drive with, and in these 4 years, I've only had 1 incident of tyre puncture.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2018, 16:31   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidpunjabi View Post
Even my i20 came with the factory fitted Apollos and in the 1st 2 years, I used to frequently visit the tyre shop for puncture repair. I'm pretty sure I had more puncture-repair-tape than rubber on the Apollos when I finally switched to the XM2s.

The XM2s are truly a breeze to drive with, and in these 4 years, I've only had 1 incident of tyre puncture.
Did you up size the tyre ? What's the XM2 tyre size ? 185/65/R14 or 175/70/R14

Same here, I used to check everyday in the morning for punctures, when I was driving on Apollo's. Once I drove from Bangalore to Udupi (410Kms) with one nail pierced in left side rear tyre, I filled air in between, Apollo was capable of holding air with one nail

Last edited by roshanjathanna : 12th October 2018 at 16:55. Reason: typo
roshanjathanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2018, 17:08   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Did you up size the tyre ? What's the XM2 tyre size ? 185/65/R14 or 175/70/R14
Funny story behind that one. When I went to change them, I had planned to keep the stock alloys and the 185/65/R14 size.

But when the guy removed the tyres, the OEM alloys were bent - most likely a result of constant low pressure due to frequent punctures and undulated city roads.

The alloys I really liked were only available in 15 inches - so I decided to go with a set of 185/60-R15 XM2s.

Obviously, things went over-budget but I still get a lot of compliments over the wheels.

Quote:
Same here, I used to check everyday in the morning for punctures, when I was driving on Apollo's. Once I drove from Bangalore to Udupi (410Kms) with one puncture one left side rear tyre, I filled air in between, Apollo was capable of holding air with one puncture
I believe many bhp-ians would call that a "miraculous drive".

The Apollo's worked diametrically opposite (pun-intended) for me. I had filled air over the weekend, and since I rarely take it out during the week, the car was just sitting in my building. Following weekend, I found my front right tyre had deflated completely and the rear left was pudgy / partially flat.

I guess that was the turning point for me.
sidpunjabi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote